AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index II - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 72 67.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 17.76%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 5.61%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 7.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.93%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.93%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-20, 11:58   Link #181
eiyuu99

And you need to do it in splitseconds or faster.
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 11:59   Link #182
Primary Consult

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
meh, what's up with everyone expecting mikoto to get involved in everything? this is index, she's just a side character here, and she's not the science side heroine, either. Science side's hero is Accelerator

if you want Mikoto, read/watch railgun, that's her story
Well, she's seen owning it up in the OP, so I'm guessing that's where it comes from. In any case though, with the city under attack and a plot seemingly involving her clone network, you figure she'd want to be involved on some level...
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 12:58   Link #183
bizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
What?
Forgot the very first episode of this season? the trip on Italy before shit happens?
Nope, I remember them clearly, but that's not the problem, Index is too unfair with Touma (even yelling "I hate you" in the first season, before biting him seriously and getting away).
Quote:
Index getting angry at him being unlucky (with fanservice precedents and consquences).
Any normal person would understand what really happens and act accordingly... apart from Index!

As I said before I know she's got a fine side with Touma, but still she's annoying 90% of the time (in the anime), and I'm sure you agree that she should have more screentime (without being mean, that is)
(She also does not really deserve her name in the title, but this has to do with Kamachi )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Consult View Post
Well, she's seen owning it up in the OP, so I'm guessing that's where it comes from. In any case though, with the city under attack and a plot seemingly involving her clone network, you figure she'd want to be involved on some level...
100% agreed
bizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 13:10   Link #184
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
You retract the fist and the vector field pulls it back in.
It would be safe to surmise that Professor Kihara here is a martial artist of some denomination; no mere western boxer or street fighter can have such a concise understanding of the very physics of combat. And juding from the absolute control and timing he has over his fists, he would more than likely be a master of Wing Chun Kung Fu (made famous by Bruce Lee's "one inch punch"; the crucible of mastery and control over one's physical force.)

Yup, Touma is screwed this time.
Old 2011-02-20, 13:18   Link #185
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzi View Post
Nope, I remember them clearly, but that's not the problem, Index is too unfair with Touma (even yelling "I hate you" in the first season, before biting him seriously and getting away).
And that was after making fun of her, remember?
Also, isn't typical from tsunderes keep saying "I hate you", *turn around and looks at Ookami and her 7 friends*... *sigh*

Quote:
Any normal person would understand what really happens and act accordingly... apart from Index!
Tell that to others characters who throws headbutts, slaps, lightnings and punches when finds Touma huging Index in the road .

Quote:
As I said before I know she's got a fine side with Touma, but still she's annoying 90% of the time (in the anime), and I'm sure you agree that she should have more screentime (without being mean, that is)
(She also does not really deserve her name in the title, but this has to do with Kamachi )
You know, as the story progresses it ends revolving around her as if she were a black hole.

Quote:
100% agreed
The OP?
Thats to appeal her fans, what is showed its all she will do, pwning some grunties .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 13:36   Link #186
bizzi

Quote:
The OP?
Thats to appeal her fans, what is showed its all she will do, pwning some grunties .
Never expected moar
Old 2011-02-20, 14:46   Link #187
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
meh, what's up with everyone expecting mikoto to get involved in everything? this is index, she's just a side character here, and she's not the science side heroine, either. Science side's hero is Accelerator

if you want Mikoto, read/watch railgun, that's her story
Except there's the simple fact that Mikoto is far from the type of character who would just sit on the sidelines while stuff happens around her (let alone stuff involving her sisters), regardless of if she's a side character or not. (which she isn't by the way; she's one of the two main heroines) So the author (and thus JC Staff in compliance with the novels) has to give us forced reasons for her not getting involved. And believe me, it only gets worse later in the novels......

I hope JC Staff fixes that next season. (especially since they have extra motivation to do so, what with Mikoto being so popular) It won't hurt anything, but would definitely help things. But anyway, anything more is a discussion for another thread.
Old 2011-02-20, 15:49   Link #188
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Except there's the simple fact that Mikoto is far from the type of character who would just sit on the sidelines while stuff happens around her (let alone stuff involving her sisters), regardless of if she's a side character or not. (which she isn't by the way; she's one of the two main heroines) So the author (and thus JC Staff in compliance with the novels) has to give us forced reasons for her not getting involved. And believe me, it only gets worse later in the novels......
Mikoto is a heroine in Railgun, but not a main character in Index. Even arcs that heavily involved her had other people as main characters (SISTERs arc still had Touma, Remnant arc had Kuroko). She just appears from time to time mainly to be tsundere towards Touma. Mikoto is a strong secondary character, but definitely not a main one, no matter how much JC Staff wants to cram in as much screentime of her as possible.

Yes, she's not the type of character to sit around when something happens. That's why she has a slightly important role in this arc. However, Index mainly deals with the magic side, which she is completely unaware of, and thus she doesn't play that much of a role in Index itself. That's what Railgun is for.

And yes, I should probably stop here. This is kind of deviating from the discussion.

Also, I saw that a few of the posts here had some information not revealed yet. I hope a moderator doesn't casually stop by and remove them for being "spoilers".
Old 2011-02-20, 16:13   Link #189
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
Mikoto is a heroine in Railgun, but not a main character in Index. Even arcs that heavily involved her had other people as main characters (SISTERs arc still had Touma, Remnant arc had Kuroko). She just appears from time to time mainly to be tsundere towards Touma. Mikoto is a strong secondary character, but definitely not a main one, no matter how much JC Staff wants to cram in as much screentime of her as possible.

Yes, she's not the type of character to sit around when something happens. That's why she has a slightly important role in this arc. However, Index mainly deals with the magic side, which she is completely unaware of, and thus she doesn't play that much of a role in Index itself. That's what Railgun is for.
I know I was the one who said this should be in another thread , but just as a last response, Mikoto is the female character with the most screentime (both in anime and novels) after Index, appearing even when she doesn't have direct involvement in the arc. (like Index has in the past science arcs) I have more evidence for this, but unfortunately it's all novel material not covered in the anime yet, so.........

On the second paragraph, there isn't much I can say since my evidence is mainly from the hasn't-aired-yet novel material again, but as I said in my previous post the reason she doesn't get more involved in the magic side is because of poorly forced reasons from the author. (which JC Staff has to concede to in order to stay true to the novels) Mikoto may not know about the magic side, but she knows Touma is off fighting bad guys. For example, the fight with Sherry Cromwell; Touma is clearly set to fight her, but where's Mikoto? Teleported away by Kuroko, and isn't giving any serious second thought to Touma's predicament. Then, she totally misses Index being attacked by the golem........because Index's cat ran away at just the perfectly wrong (or perfectly right, for the purpose of forcing Mikoto away from the magic side) time. Ugh.
Admittedly these are some of the least poorly-derived excuses for Mikoto's absence in the fight (not by too much though), but it was still very forced; why didn't Touma have Kuroko teleport Hyouka and Index, the two people least capable of defending themselves, first? Mikoto is the third most powerful Level 5 Esper in Academy City; (at the time, they all thought that) Index and Hyouka were in the most danger. Why in the world would you get Mikoto out first and leave Hyouka in such a dangerous place? Yes, Hyouka was important for that arc, but I doubt Touma and the others care about things like that. It's forced reasoning. And I don't need to point out how Sphinx running away was so perfectly timed to get Mikoto away from Index before the Golem attacked.
I don't know why the author is so dead-set on keeping Mikoto out of the magic side plot, but at the very least he could make it happen more sensibly than using such forced reasoning.

Wow, that went on a lot longer than I had originally intended. Now I'm done.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2011-02-20 at 16:30. Reason: Typos
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 16:20   Link #190
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Wow, this main character crap again ?

Let me put this simply, ask any average Joe watcher to name the main characters of this show, I assure you without hesitation the three names they would pull out of their hats would be Touma Index Mikoto.

Go to any website, official or not, and they would also label those three characters as the main characters.

I'm certain you people had to think up all kinds of specific reason not to include Mikoto as a main character... Don't.

It just looks silly.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 16:37   Link #191
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Go to any website, official or not, and they would also label those three characters as the main characters.
Just for the record he's right, at the very least for the most part; the ANN pages for both seasons, Wikipedia, and the main Japanese websites for both Index S1 and S2 all list Touma, Index, and Mikoto as the first three characters. (and we all know websites organize characters in order of importance)
Also, the credits' cast list for each episode also lists all three first (whenever Mikoto appears, anyway; anime credits' cast lists don't include characters that don't appear in the episode regardless of importance), and we all know that a cast list also goes in order of character importance unless otherwise stated, like "In Alphabetical Order" or "In Order of Appearance." (neither of which is the case with the credits of Index S2, or most every other anime, live-action series, or movie)
Old 2011-02-20, 16:39   Link #192
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I know I was the one who said this should be in another thread , but just as a last response, Mikoto is the female character with the most screentime (both in anime and novels) after Index, appearing even when she doesn't have direct involvement in the arc. (like Index has in the past science arcs) I have more evidence for this, but unfortunately it's all novel material not covered in the anime yet, so.........

On the second paragraph, there isn't much I can say since my evidence is mainly from the hasn't-aired-yet novel material again, but as I said in my previous post the reason she doesn't get more involved in the magic side is because of poorly forced reasons from the author. (which JC Staff has to concede to in order to stay true to the novels) Mikoto may not know about the magic side, but she knows Touma is off fighting bad guys. For example, the fight with Sherry Cromwell; Touma is clearly set to fight her, but where's Mikoto? Teleported away by Kuroko, and isn't giving any serious second thought to Touma's predicament. Then, she totally misses Index being attacked by the golem........because Index's cat ran away at just the perfectly wrong (or perfectly right, for the purpose of forcing Mikoto away from the magic side) time. Ugh.
Admittedly these are some of the least poorly-derived excuses for Mikoto's absence in the fight (not by too much though), but it was still very forced; why didn't Touma have Kuroko teleport Hyouka and Index, the two people least capable of defending themselves, first? Mikoto is the third most powerful Level 5 Esper in Academy City; (at the time, they all thought that) Index and Hyouka were in the most danger. Why in the world would you get Mikoto out first and leave Hyouka in such a dangerous place? Yes, Hyouka was important for that arc, but I doubt Touma and the others care about things like that. It's forced reasoning. And I don't need to point out how Sphinx running away was so perfectly timed to get Mikoto away from Index before the Golem attacked.
I don't know why the author is so dead-set on keeping Mikoto out of the magic side plot, but at the very least he could make it happen more sensibly than using such forced reasoning.

Wow, that went on a lot longer than I had originally intended. Now I'm done.
Ugh if we had mikoto ending everything it would really get annoying making a typical undefeatable tag team of touma and mikoto. To me shes a main character but she needs to stay on the science side. Making her come to the rescue every time a magician comes will just be too easy. Besides she might be killed though considering who the antagonists are.

Lets leave it like this.Leave the science on the science side and the magic on the magic side unless ur touma,index(whos barely apart of both),motaharu,and am i missing anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Wow, this main character crap again ?

Let me put this simply, ask any average Joe watcher to name the main characters of this show, I assure you without hesitation the three names they would pull out of their hats would be Touma Index Mikoto.

I'm certain you people had to think up all kinds of specific reason not to include Mikoto as a main character... Don't.

It just looks silly.
and soon accelerator
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 16:49   Link #193
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post

On the second paragraph, there isn't much I can say since my evidence is mainly from the hasn't-aired-yet novel material again, but as I said in my previous post the reason she doesn't get more involved in the magic side is because of poorly forced reasons from the author. (which JC Staff has to concede to in order to stay true to the novels) Mikoto may not know about the magic side, but she knows Touma is off fighting bad guys. For example, the fight with Sherry Cromwell; Touma is clearly set to fight her, but where's Mikoto? Teleported away by Kuroko who isn't giving any serious second thought to Touma's fight. Admittedly this is one of the least poorly-derived excuses for Mikoto's absence in the fight, but it was still very forced; why didn't Kuroko teleport Hyouka and Index, the two people least capable of defending themselves, first? Mikoto is the thrid most powerful Level 5 Esper in Academy City; (at the time, they all thought that) Index and Hyouka were in the most danger. Why in the world would you get Mikoto out first and leave Hyouka in such a dangerous place? Yes, Hyouka was important to the plot of the arc, but I doubt Touma and the others care about things like that. It's forced reasoning. I don't know why the author is so dead-set on keeping Mikoto out of the magic side plot, but at the very least he could make it happen more sensibly than using such forced reasoning. And as I said, it only gets worse from there.
Simple, because it's Kuroko. Mikoto's safety is her top priority, and she knows that Mikoto would probably recklessly charge in and try to fight against the intruder by herself. She doesn't want to leave her alone with the guy that is getting in the way of her relationship with Mikoto. Also, Kuroko knows that her teleportation does not work on Touma.

I honestly don't think levels mattered at that point as much as getting everyone out of there. And you're forgetting that Antiskill and Judgment were there too, so the people stuck in the mall were under protection.

As for keeping Mikoto out of the magic side, maybe the author wants to, you know, focus on the actual magic side protagonist? Why should Mikoto out of all people deserve special treatment when she's the farthest thing from magic? She has her own spinoff series where she is the science side heroine, so why does she need to be involved with magic side issues as well?

And we really should end the discussion here.
Old 2011-02-20, 16:50   Link #194
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Ugh if we had mikoto ending everything it would really get annoying making a typical undefeatable tag team of touma and mikoto. To me shes a main character but she needs to stay on the science side. Making her come to the rescue every time a magician comes will just be too easy. Besides she might be killed though considering who the antagonists are.
Blargh. I know I keep saying "save for another thread" or "now I'm done" and whatnot, but these need addressing.

I think you're heavily overestimating Mikoto here. She is by no means weak and her participation in fights would definitely help, but even considering just the fights covered in the anime so far, there's no way she'd make Touma undefeatable.

Quote:
Simple, because it's Kuroko. Mikoto's safety is her top priority, and she knows that Mikoto would probably recklessly charge in and try to fight against the intruder by herself. She doesn't want to leave her alone with the guy that is getting in the way of her relationship with Mikoto. Also, Kuroko knows that her teleportation does not work on Touma.
Except you're forgetting four things:

1. Touma is the one who decided which two would be teleported out. Kuroko complied with who he chose.
2. Kuroko is a responible member of Judgement; putting a defenseless civilian in danger for her own personal reasons is something she would not do. And Kuroko is the one who has specifically said she would fight against Mikoto if she became an enemy of Academy City.
3. Mikoto is the third most powerful Level 5 Esper in Academy City, leading back to 2.
4. Touma's IB doesn't prevent Kuroko from teleporting Hyouka out, thus is not relevant at all to why they didn't get Hyouka out first.

Quote:
I honestly don't think levels mattered at that point as much as getting everyone out of there. And you're forgetting that Antiskill and Judgment were there too, so the people stuck in the mall were under protection.
First, how do levels not matter? You get the people at most risk out first. Mikoto is far safer than Hyouka.
Second, you don't consider people to be safe just because there's somebody around to protect them. Police and military personel always evacuate civilians when there's danger, regardless of how well they think they can protect them. That's exactly why Judgement was going around evacuating people from the mall in the first place.

Quote:
As for keeping Mikoto out of the magic side, maybe the author wants to, you know, focus on the actual magic side protagonist? Why should Mikoto out of all people deserve special treatment when she's the farthest thing from magic? She has her own spinoff series where she is the science side heroine, so why does she need to be involved with magic side issues as well?
Yet Index is always appearing in every arc regardless of how important she is to it. So why not Mikoto, who can actually contribute? It doesn't matter if she's magic or not; the very definition of her character defies the idea that she wouldn't get involved, but Kamachi keeps forcing reasons.
And keeping her out of the action (which has been going on since well before Railgun started, so that's irrelevant) just because she has her own series is still ignoring her character and forcing contrived developments.
I don't see how that's special treatment when she doesn't appear every arc. But in the arcs she does appear in, some forced reason or another keeps her out of the action even when it's practicaly going on right in front of her.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2011-02-20 at 17:09.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 16:52   Link #195
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Discussion. Ending. Now.
Old 2011-02-20, 17:18   Link #196
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Discussion. Ending. Now.
Discussion. LN thread.Now. (if u want)
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 17:29   Link #197
bizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Discussion. LN thread.Now. (if u want)
Shouldn't it be Misaka thread? That discussion is very interesting, let's not kill it brutally like a certain someone tried to do.

EDIT: btw, Wilfriback, I just realized that some of the things I said were bullshit (Index is indeed not the only one being unfair with Touma)...
Old 2011-02-20, 17:42   Link #198
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
You retract the fist and the vector field pulls it back in.
So basicly Accelerator himself pulls in the attacks?
Old 2011-02-20, 17:45   Link #199
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzi View Post
Shouldn't it be Misaka thread? That discussion is very interesting, let's not kill it brutally like a certain someone tried to do.
That implies spoilers outbreak just like with Accelerator, so the LN thread is better.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 17:55   Link #200
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
So basicly Accelerator himself pulls in the attacks?
Yeah basically, his power automatically reverse all harmful vectors coming his way.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote