AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-26, 10:20   Link #1
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
A forum for Banned People...

I find it very informative if animesuki will be able to create a forum concerning about banned people... instead of putting it on their sigs... or anywhere else... just like in our forum...

ex.

Spoiler:

and inside of the forum...

Spoiler:

notice... on how we give info to the viewers and the reason they got banned...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-26, 10:29   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
I find it very informative if animesuki will be able to create a forum concerning about banned people... instead of putting it on their sigs... or anywhere else... just like in our forum...

ex.

Spoiler:

and inside of the forum...

Spoiler:

notice... on how we give info to the viewers and the reason they got banned...

Spoiler:
People who got banned can send and receive PMs already. They get the reason for their ban that way and they can log off and see the thread in question for further information on why they got banned. AFAIK xris always states why the person got banned in the thread and the other Admins and Mods do the same.
Old 2004-06-26, 10:49   Link #3
HoboGod
Necromancer

wait, you mean like some sort of graveyard sub-forum?

well, it would be interesting, and when well-known people are banned, it would be a good place to discuss them and what finally pushed it over the edge. i know people were talking about it alot when jappi was banned. ^_^
Old 2004-06-26, 10:50   Link #4
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
People who got banned can send and receive PMs already. They get the reason for their ban that way and they can log off and see the thread in question for further information on why they got banned. AFAIK xris always states why the person got banned in the thread and the other Admins and Mods do the same.
wat if that thread got deleted or washed up somewhere else?... can other people could still see why did that person got banned?...

well sometimes xris and the other moderators and administrator just say... "user banned for 2 weeks for creating thread"... that makes me wonder... wat rule did they breaked?...
Old 2004-06-26, 11:02   Link #5
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
wat if that thread got deleted or washed up somewhere else?... can other people could still see why did that person got banned?...

well sometimes xris and the other moderators and administrator just say... "user banned for 2 weeks for creating thread"... that makes me wonder... wat rule did they breaked?...
They receive a PM stating which rule they broke etc. What you seem to want is a public explanation on why people got banned - but why? Is it really that interesting to see the reason why someone got banned? The people who were banned will be told as to why they were banned and that's what counts after all.
Old 2004-06-26, 11:03   Link #6
Thany
Unfair

Quote:

Well that means they did something they shouldn't have done.
If you really want to know, try to PM them and they might tell you what did they do.
There is always a good reason behind a ban, and you DO know that
Old 2004-06-26, 11:17   Link #7
Sid_Burn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin
What you seem to want is a public explanation on why people got banned - but why? Is it really that interesting to see the reason why someone got banned?
Why?... to get every1 informed... and no, I find it not very interesting... I find it very informative...
Old 2004-06-26, 12:26   Link #8
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Why?... to get every1 informed... and no, I find it not very interesting... I find it very informative...
Well this looks like another drama thread again then.
Just ask the banned why he got banned, I don't think what was done was wrong.
Old 2004-06-26, 12:33   Link #9
Sid_Burn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Well this looks like another drama thread again then.
Just ask the banned why he got banned, I don't think what was done was wrong.
drama thread? are we performing drama's here?... well here's the question again... wat if that person is not online(usually a person that got permanently banned ofcourse never goes online)... and how can I ask him?...
Old 2004-06-26, 12:46   Link #10
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I personally think the idea has some merit. For one it makes things more open and accountable. Second threads and forums are not subject to volume limits in the way the PM system is -- if people know where to look (could be the only forum visible to banned users) -- they will know why they are banned even if they run out of inbox space.

Lastly it keeps a permanent record of misdemeanors that would remind other members of the rules... although you could liken that to hanging the temporarily condemned in cages (or posting the heads of the permanently condemned on polls) over the battlements. Rather draconian and uncivilised...

Still it has some merit... maybe if the administrators like the idea we'll consider implement something similar.
Old 2004-06-26, 12:51   Link #11
kamij0

Quote:

Some threads may be abusive towards the intended target of people, Likewise there may be pointless threads such as spam and asking lame questions and getting flamed for nothing.. i do wish to find out what happen when the mods closed the threads, but there's a problem that occurred recently, the user posted his thread and it was a useless thread and got most of the people talking trash too ( no offence ) and after that, another thread was created to poll against the previous thread's disucssion.

So what my point is that, its not really good to let people see some junk, they reply with more junk
Old 2004-06-26, 12:57   Link #12
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamij0
Some threads may be abusive towards the intended target of people, Likewise there may be pointless threads such as spam and asking lame questions and getting flamed for nothing.. i do wish to find out what happen when the mods closed the threads, but there's a problem that occurred recently, the user posted his thread and it was a useless thread and got most of the people talking trash too ( no offence ) and after that, another thread was created to poll against the previous thread's disucssion.

So what my point is that, its not really good to let people see some junk, they reply with more junk
true, perhaps the banned would only be limited to a certain amount of posts per day or perhaps only temp ban members can post messages and perm ban members cant. thusly those who do post crap in that forum can still be subject to banning.
Old 2004-06-26, 13:14   Link #13
kamij0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
true, perhaps the banned would only be limited to a certain amount of posts per day or perhaps only temp ban members can post messages and perm ban members cant. thusly those who do post crap in that forum can still be subject to banning.
We cant really stop useless posts in AS, there are bound to have people who got itch in their butt trying to get themselves an A for most closed threads. If the banned user is only limited to a few post, it doesnt really matter as what matters more is what they post. The banned user could be a consecutive troublemaker in AS hence limiting the post per user aint not easy for the mods to take care of AS.
Old 2004-06-26, 13:23   Link #14
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
I personally think the idea has some merit. For one it makes things more open and accountable. Second threads and forums are not subject to volume limits in the way the PM system is -- if people know where to look (could be the only forum visible to banned users) -- they will know why they are banned even if they run out of inbox space.

Lastly it keeps a permanent record of misdemeanors that would remind other members of the rules... although you could liken that to hanging the temporarily condemned in cages (or posting the heads of the permanently condemned on polls) over the battlements. Rather draconian and uncivilised...

Still it has some merit... maybe if the administrators like the idea we'll consider implement something similar.

But how can you decide who is allowed to post in the thread? If everybody could post there, they would most likely bash the banned user anyway - so you should find a way to allow only Admins/Mods + the banned user to post there. If possible (it's possible I guess), make these Forums invisible to regular members and guest because people tend to develop prejudices against people who get banned - not everybody who got banned is an idiot whose post should be ignored or bashed regardless of content. It's not their business anyway - although you should post the reason why the user was banned in the thread he has started/participated in so that other users get discouraged to make the same mistake. (That's in addition to the "Banned People Only Forums" - if you should decide to implement one, that is)

PS: I finally realised where your user name is from, I know I'm slow, but the German TV just recently showed a video clip of NightWish - Nemo.
Old 2004-06-26, 13:36   Link #15
7thMethuselah

Bad idea imho , creating a forum for banned members kinda ignores the entire purpose of a ban no?
As far as I know most people get a few warnings before they get banned, it's not like they haven't seen it coming. If you really wanna know why they got banned, just PM them.
Old 2004-06-26, 13:39   Link #16
Lefteris_D

As _Sin_ explained already, any ban that takes place is explained to the thread where the rule violation took place. That is more than enough for public viewing. As most members know we are not placing any paranoid bans and we always try to be fair.

If somebody needs to have a ban explained to it is the violator alone, that is why I am in favor of the creation of a private forum where banned users have only access to so we can provide further information if that is requested but that is as far as it goes. There is no point to make such discussions public as that is known to cause even more problems as we have seen in the past.

These are my personal opinions alone.
Old 2004-06-26, 13:58   Link #17
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Bad idea imho, creating a forum for banned members kinda ignores the entire purpose of a ban no?
Yes, indeed. I would see it as a "notice board" rather than a "forum". There would be no questions, no replies, no discussion. To me it would be used simply as a replacement for the PM. If a better solution to the "full inbox" problem can be found the merit of such a board would diminish.
Old 2004-06-26, 14:03   Link #18
Lefteris_D

Perhaps a read only subforum under the feedback forum?
Old 2004-06-26, 14:11   Link #19
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefteris_D
Perhaps a read only subforum under the feedback forum?
...that is only visible to people who are banned and the AS staff for obvious reasons?
Old 2004-06-26, 19:02   Link #20
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I kinda like sticking heads on pikes. On the other hand, if I was one of the heads I think I'd rather have my shame kept private.

Mostly the merit of this idea is that it makes the system seem more open and accountable. The downside is that we would be encouraging people's desire for schadenfreude.

Honestly I'm conflicted as to whether this is a good idea... or not...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread