Notices

Old 2009-06-09, 16:48   Link #2861
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
The father of my grandfather was red-haired, yet, none of his kids was. My grandpa had seven kids (my mother being one of them) and none was born with red-hair. My mother and her brothers had dozen of kids and not even one of them was born with red hair.

My sister and a few of my cousins already have kids of their own and "surprise" they are not red haired either.

Through all of this, no new red haired people has joined my family. Could there still be a chance of someone with red hair to be born in my family?
The gene of red hair has to be recessive.
If it meets (silly expression ) a dominate gene of another hair colour, it will only be activated with a chance of 25%. I could explain more detailled but if you are really interested ask Mendel. Google helps.
Old 2009-06-09, 16:51   Link #2862
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yes. Its still lurking about as a recessive gene (someone a generation or two down from you may be very surprised )
Oh lol, thanks for the reply. Wish those genes would have already awakened, though; We rarely talk about my great-granpa anymore and a new red haired member in our family would surely put him in the spotlight again.

Edit:

Thanks to you as well Germania!
Old 2009-06-09, 19:26   Link #2863
Anju-chan
Fly!!!
*Author

How would you describe Nia Teppelin's (from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) hair? All that I can can come up with is curly, but....it...well...argh!

Courtesy of ayu-smepai
Anju-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 17:13   Link #2864
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
The gene of red hair has to be recessive.
If it meets (silly expression ) a dominate gene of another hair colour, it will only be activated with a chance of 25%. I could explain more detailled but if you are really interested ask Mendel. Google helps.
Even though it is recessive it has a chance of 25% being activated when coupled with a dominant partner gene? That would be news to me (maybe its semi recessive then )

@Daniel E.

Incest aside... it would be necessary that one member of your family who actually has a recessive red hair gene (which is not too likely) would mate with a partner who has a recessive red hair gene too. Both will have non-red hair. But there is a 25% chance that one of their children gets two recessive red hair genes.
If the mating partner has red hair - means a pair of red hair genes - chances would be 50% then.

If red hair is not all too common in your region, chances are rather tiny that such a mating scenario will happen.
Old 2009-06-10, 19:26   Link #2865
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
If red hair is not all too common in your region, chances are rather tiny that such a mating scenario will happen.
Can't really say. I have never seen any article related to the % of common/rare hair colors among mexicans.

It may be rare, but I am certain they are out there.

Thanks again!
Old 2009-06-10, 21:44   Link #2866
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Can't really say. I have never seen any article related to the % of common/rare hair colors among mexicans.

It may be rare, but I am certain they are out there.

Thanks again!
Its the Viking influence ... ... ... (runs away)
Old 2009-06-10, 21:49   Link #2867
mit7059

The recessive gene for red hair is a subset of the blond hair recessive gene (like how green eyes are related to blue eyes) so it's not actually necessary for both parents to have the red gene, it could be a combination of the red and blond genes, but potentially less red.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 21:51   Link #2868
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Incest aside... it would be necessary that one member of your family who actually has a recessive red hair gene (which is not too likely) would mate with a partner who has a recessive red hair gene too. Both will have non-red hair. But there is a 25% chance that one of their children gets two recessive red hair genes.
If the mating partner has red hair - means a pair of red hair genes - chances would be 50% then.
This also assumes that there is a "red hair gene." Things can become quite complicated when it comes to coloration. The Mendelian example was with flowers: cross a red flower with a white flower and you get a pink flower (due to incomplete dominance, or perhaps it was codominance - they're different, but I can't remember which would apply over the other in this case, if one is even more applicable than the other). Even there, it may be overly simplified, as that presumes that only one gene controls the color of the flower. What if multiple genes are involved? Now you can have all shades of color between pink and white (not to mention special patterning). And then there are environmental factors that may be involved (such as, a certain type of food isn't being eaten and as such the body isn't producing a certain chemical that would color the hair a different way - and so on).

Ah, but genetics is a fun field...
Old 2009-06-11, 01:09   Link #2869
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
The recessive gene for red hair is a subset of the blond hair recessive gene (like how green eyes are related to blue eyes) so it's not actually necessary for both parents to have the red gene, it could be a combination of the red and blond genes, but potentially less red.
We don't have blond members in our family, although several have a very clear brown hair color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
And then there are environmental factors that may be involved (such as, a certain type of food isn't being eaten and as such the body isn't producing a certain chemical that would color the hair a different way - and so on).
Ah, but genetics is a fun field...
Will a couple of generations be enough to consider this a factor? I remember hearing about this elsewhere, but always though of it as a long term factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its the Viking influence ... ... ... (runs away)
You know, I like those hats that Vikings fans use in football games!
Old 2009-06-11, 01:22   Link #2870
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Will a couple of generations be enough to consider this a factor? I remember hearing about this elsewhere, but always though of it as a long term factor.
Well, let me put it this way: when a lab creates a genetic strain of mouse and the background is expected to be pure (that is, no unexpected genes exist within the strain - inbreeding is required for this), if I remember right it's not unusual to have to go through 70 to 100 generations to be relatively certain that you have a pure background with no hidden surprises. You could probably get away with fewer generations, but... you get the idea. There can be traits that would not present within three generations, easily.
Old 2009-06-11, 07:30   Link #2871
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Oh lol, thanks for the reply. Wish those genes would have already awakened, though; We rarely talk about my great-granpa anymore and a new red haired member in our family would surely put him in the spotlight again.

Edit:

Thanks to you as well Germania!
Start by marrying a redhead. There's a chance that gene of your great grandfather's is gone anyway, and even if it isn't, you're not going to get a redhead unless both parents carry the gene.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 13:50   Link #2872
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Start by marrying a redhead. There's a chance that gene of your great grandfather's is gone anyway, and even if it isn't, you're not going to get a redhead unless both parents carry the gene.
Well, I am certainly not going to marry someone just because she is red haired.

We brought up our great granpa in a chat at home, wich is what caused me to post and ask here. We would be quite happy to have a new red haired person in the family, yet, it's not something that will actually make us do a forced change in our lives.

If it happens yay, if not oh well, life goes on regardless!

I thank you all once again for your replies everyone!
Old 2009-06-12, 22:34   Link #2873
killer911
Hikikomori

how do you put a little thumbnail link when posting an image?
killer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 00:05   Link #2874
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer911 View Post
how do you put a little thumbnail link when posting an image?
You need to upload the pic to a hosting site such as image host.

http://www.imagehost.org/

Click on browse, select the image you want and click on upload. Copy paste the Forum Thumbnail Link code on the forum and you are done.

A quick guide made by forum member cats with some additional info (plus pics for every step) is below:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...1&postcount=96

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2009-06-13 at 00:22. Reason: Too much info, perhaps?
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 12:42   Link #2875
mit7059

Quote:
Well, I am certainly not going to marry someone just because she is red haired.

We brought up our great granpa in a chat at home, wich is what caused me to post and ask here. We would be quite happy to have a new red haired person in the family, yet, it's not something that will actually make us do a forced change in our lives.

If it happens yay, if not oh well, life goes on regardless!

I thank you all once again for your replies everyone!
http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/GENETICS/BasGen.html
Here's a basic guide to how Dominant and Recessive genes work, I think it should clear up all questions.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 00:18   Link #2876
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Thanks again mit. A bit more on this and we could end up with a red-haired thread in general chat.

Anyway.....

Was checking an old Tears of Tiara entry back at Jason's Blog, and a comment there caught my attention.

One of the posters there mentions that if you try to roast an apple, it could actually explode because of the heat.

Is this true? Would an apple explode if you try to roast it?
Old 2009-06-15, 01:26   Link #2877
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Thanks again mit. A bit more on this and we could end up with a red-haired thread in general chat.

Anyway.....

Was checking an old Tears of Tiara entry back at Jason's Blog, and a comment there caught my attention.

One of the posters there mentions that if you try to roast an apple, it could actually explode because of the heat.

Is this true? Would an apple explode if you try to roast it?
If you didn't slice it first, probably. The water inside would start boiling and therefore expanding. Since the skin is watertight, the gas has nowhere to go so it would burst. How violently would depend on how fast it's being heated.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 01:57   Link #2878
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
If you didn't slice it first, probably. The water inside would start boiling and therefore expanding. Since the skin is watertight, the gas has nowhere to go so it would burst. How violently would depend on how fast it's being heated.
Aye, its also why you stab a potato a few times before roasting (or microwaving). Stab the apple a few times to prevent a possible mess.
Old 2009-06-15, 02:14   Link #2879
monir
cho~ kakkoii

That was indeed a silly question by Daniel. I'm also disappointed at him for not going the extra mile at investigating. The Daniel I knew back then was an adventurer who would have microwave that apple and would have told us about the aftermathe of the experiment.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 02:23   Link #2880
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

I microwaved an egg before, shell and all. The aftermath was... messy.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious