AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-10, 13:57   Link #481
March

Got a chance to see the movie the other day and was very entertained. My expectations were in line with the direction of a retelling, so I was pleased with the results. Comparing and contrasting the Macross Frontier Movie to the Macross Frontier TV Series is much like the similarities between the Macross Plus Movie and the Macross Plus OVA. I suspect I'll end up preferring various parts from each iteration of Macross Frontier (TV series and Movies) much like that of Plus, wishing there were an edit including everything I prefer. I viewed the complete series only once since it aired, so coming back to Macross Frontier via the movie was a welcome experience. The new animation seamlessly integrated with the older animation and it was great to see many of old TV series scenes either redrawn or refinished with superior artwork.

Spoiler:

I will say that in spite of enjoying the movie, I would have preferred a more radical retelling and redesign of the characters, mecha and sets. Perhaps it's just being spoiled by DYRL?, but given the time and money put into these productions it would have been nice to go a different route.

Spoiler:

Overall, this first film makes a great addition to the Macross Frontier story. I can see myself likely rewatching the two movies more than the actual series simply because the editing and story is that much more focused. I'd say 4 out of 5 for me.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 14:10   Link #482
justavisitor

@March
Spoiler for spoiler:

I think I like the movie a bit better tho XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 15:15   Link #483
LC
Shocking Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
I think they realized over the course of the original series what was the appeal of such and such characters, and what point of the show would rack up money. The movie simply goes further in that direction, to the point it kinda (or totally) removes the original charm.

Just look at how over-the-top Sheryl and Ranka antics are this time. Sheryl songs are more pop-ish than ever and they zoom on her boobs and ass every time they can. Same for Ranka, which they try to make cute and everything at any given time. Not to say the series wasn't like this, especially in its final episodes. But when it started it was certainly more subtle than the movie.

Just my 2 cents.
That's disappointing to hear. I could already tell that Ranka was going to be flanderized from the previews, but I didn't think Sheryl would be.
Old 2010-10-10, 15:46   Link #484
March

justavisitor
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Spoiler for Grace:
Old 2010-10-10, 16:42   Link #485
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Gentlemen, I had to delete a number of posts because someone couldn't help themselves and posted some comments that they knew would press another member's buttons. In the future, let's not have any more of that (which will be deleted on sight) and let's stay on topic!
Thanks, I appreciate that. At least I had the good sense this time to not link to inflammatory youtube videos.
Old 2010-10-10, 17:47   Link #486
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
Too bad i miss the figth

Anyway, leaving that aside:

http://forum.tgbus.com/viewthread.ph...extra=page%3D1

Thats some high biddings for such small things!
Acttually that is quite normal for japanese...
Japanese people are like money tree's X3

Last edited by moncikoma; 2010-10-10 at 18:23.
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 19:44   Link #487
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
justavisitor
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Spoiler for Grace:
@March
Spoiler for spoiler:
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 00:42   Link #488
March

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
@March
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for Grace:

I will say this about your criticisms; the fact that we have to so intricately discuss and conjecture upon the plot in order for it to work justifies your critique of it. Grace's role in the plot could (and SHOULD) have been made more clear to the audience. Definitely a weaker element of the movie.

Despite that one problem, I share your affinity for the many plot elements from the series made much clearer (or simply more "pronounced") in the movie. The movie format distilled a lot of the clutter down and hit upon the essentials of the plot a lot better. It reminded me of all the things I liked about the Frontier series and entices me to watch it again
Old 2010-10-11, 01:21   Link #489
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
Despite that one problem, I share your affinity for the many plot elements from the series made much clearer (or simply more "pronounced") in the movie. The movie format distilled a lot of the clutter down and hit upon the essentials of the plot a lot better. It reminded me of all the things I liked about the Frontier series and entices me to watch it again
Well, then you are in luck, since we plan to begin a re-watching of the series this Saturday, one episode a week. Which reminds me, time to ask for a new thread to be opened.
Old 2010-10-11, 01:49   Link #490
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

After seeing the movie in it's glory, I have but one glaring nitpicky complaint:

The transitioning!

I hope it's not just me. Also, while Klan looks good in the Mihoshi uniform, I thought it was a cheap way of saving time of everyone knowing each other already.
Oh and since Nanase isn't in the first movie, my bet is that she is Ranka's costume designer in the second movie.
Old 2010-10-11, 02:04   Link #491
magnuskn

<sigh> Can a sub come out already?
Old 2010-10-11, 07:34   Link #492
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Oh and since Nanase isn't in the first movie, my bet is that she is Ranka's costume designer in the second movie.
That would sure make Yot-chan happy.
Old 2010-10-11, 09:07   Link #493
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

My honest-to-goodness favorite bits (Part 1 of 4):

Spoiler for Purty:

Spoiler for I totally want to live here.:

Spoiler for ONLY red...?:

Spoiler for Puppet on a string:

Spoiler for My love-gun's loaded and he's in my sights...:

Spoiler for Considering I was just at Shibuya 109 a few days ago...:

Spoiler for I love the battle through the windows...the foreground ain't too shabby, either.:

Spoiler for I know it's not brains...but it sure looks like 'em.:

Spoiler for Wouldn't it have been emotional if he'd died?:

Spoiler for Oh, hi Luca. Nice view you got there.:

Spoiler for Oh, hi Michael. Nice gun you got there.:

Spoiler for "Condition of a patient." AND she's got the vocoderized Megazone 23 voice!:

Spoiler for Eww, Brera...that's a sewer...:

Spoiler for Honorable mention goes to...:

Spoiler for Second honorable mention goes to...:

Last edited by Yot-chan; 2010-10-11 at 09:20.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 16:34   Link #494
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

WE BELIEVE IN RED MAGIC.

& yeah, the battles shown in far away images are seriously spectacular. All the more reason why i wanna watch the Blu-ray that will arrive this week.
Old 2010-10-11, 17:43   Link #495
ZODDGUTS

For someone who thought the TV series was garbage is the movie any better? Heard they've made several changes.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 19:40   Link #496
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
For someone who thought the TV series was garbage is the movie any better? Heard they've made several changes.
Yeah, they added some natto, some wind-up toys, and vampires. You'll love it.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 19:54   Link #497
ZODDGUTS

Well that's certainly an improvement.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 22:56   Link #498
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Knowing my luck I'll get a mediocre film strip.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 03:17   Link #499
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Yeah, they added some natto, some wind-up toys, and vampires. You'll love it.
Don't forget the cowgirl!
Old 2010-10-12, 15:15   Link #500
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Initial Impressions

My initial impressions of the movie:

Spoiler for Movie 1:

Overall I feel that the movie is average compared to the TV series. I think it also fails as a standalone movie in introducing a new audience to the universe. It feels like a hack-job, a Frankenstein. They are trying to tell character stories where given the time available, it should be focus more on the plot. That decision resulted in scenes jumping around and a lot of dialog. Coupled with the lack of battle scenes it bogs the movie down and slows the narrative. The time and money would have been better spent to create an OVA that extended the TV series. If you did not like the TV series, I don't think the movie will change your mind. Ultimately I bought the movie because I could not afford the TV series.

A side note: Half of the 54 minutes worth of extra is reading speech bubbles of the PS3 Mainichi cats. Sheryl's and figure CMs are nice though.

Last edited by woodearth; 2010-10-13 at 00:17. Reason: Added lines
woodearth is offline   Reply With Quote