AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-03-22, 00:18   Link #21
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Kyoto Animation's involved, so I'll definitely watch it. Hopefully the animation quality is up there with the work they did on Air. Anyone have a summary of what the series is about? It sounds like Thelastguardian did have a summary posted in this thread at one point, but the forum crash wiped it out.

Edit: After I posted this, I did find a couple sentences on Google that describe the plot...based on this I'm looking forward to seeing it even more, it's an interesting premise:
Spoiler:
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 02:07   Link #22
Thelastguardian

/fanboy mode on
from my favourite author...
to locate a tiny flame of hope in the rubble and fan it madly with a big hat.
Therefore I am praising it as much as possible.
:^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru
Spoiler:
That is such a dull way of putting it XD .

The novels are fun to read because they are written in an unique first person point of view.

Spoiler:

Then again, they have no literature value whasoever. Light novels, indeed.
Old 2006-03-22, 05:36   Link #23
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
to locate a tiny flame of hope in the rubble and fan it madly with a big hat.
Therefore I am praising it as much as possible.
:^)
If you consider its popularity right now, compared to when the first volume was released almost 3 years ago, I'd say Suzumiya Haruhi managed to burn on brightly quite well.

It's another story with the English community though, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Then again, they have no literature value whasoever. Light novels, indeed.
Literature is literature, it doesn't matter what kind of writing it is. And the value of a piece of literature is never determined by any one person. A novel may be nothing more than a bore fest for one, but a life changing experience for another.

Suzumiya Haruhi's unique point is that while it doesn't seem very deep on the surface (comedies abound with all the characters getting themselves into all sorts of situations. Haruhi seems to be nuts all the time, Mikuru-chan always getting abused, Nagato always... reading (and the guys doing whatever they do) and things seems to be revolved around a ridiculous school club created for a nonsense reason), it's actually dotted with memorable, dramatic moments (especially when they come in heavily contrasted against the usual comedy) that makes you snap to attention. And for me, that makes this novel more interesting to read than a novel that's always focused on drama.

I'm listening through the backlog of SOS-dan Radio Branch right now. Surprisingly interesting. ^^
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 05:49   Link #24
NeoSam

Volume 8 of the seinen novel Suzumiya Haruhi will be released next month (April 2006).

I'll post the cover of it when its available.
Old 2006-04-01, 06:29   Link #25
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

It's coming tomorrow, it's coming tomorrow~ *waku waku*

Then again, this sakuga level... Kyoani doesn't disappoint here either.

I've listened to all the radio meetings (up to no.8 now), and I'm looking forward to the airing ^^

...M, Mikuru-chan's "teheri~"... That might be a little... dangerous...
Old 2006-04-02, 03:43   Link #26
NeoSam

Thanks Sushi-Y for the images

I just want to corect something I said >.<

The 8th volume of the seinen novel will not be released this april but on May 1st (1/5/2006).

The first volume of the new manga will be released on 26/4/2006.

This info should be correct since its according to the publisher :P

Anyway these images from this site:
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/sp/200603-04/

The girls are so cute

Illustration from the novel maybe? Anyway I hope the anime's artwork is as good as these (I'm dreaming LOL).
Old 2006-04-02, 05:25   Link #27
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Illustration from the novel maybe? Anyway I hope the anime's artwork is as good as these (I'm dreaming LOL).
Yes, those arts are by Itou Noizi, the illustrator for the novel (she's also the illustrator for the "Shakugan no Shana" light novel series).

As for the anime art quality, those screenshots in the picture I posted above are from the anime (hence my comment about the sakuga level).

Anyway, it's almost time for the airing. Too bad I probably won't see it until tomorrow.
Old 2006-04-02, 13:07   Link #28
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Yes, those arts are by Itou Noizi, the illustrator for the novel (she's also the illustrator for the "Shakugan no Shana" light novel series).
Yeah I thought so

Ahh I already mentioned the illustrator in the first post of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
The illustrator of the novel is Itou Noiji (the same illustrator of the seinen novel Shakugan no SHANA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
As for the anime art quality, those screenshots in the picture I posted above are from the anime (hence my comment about the sakuga level).
How could I forget that the animation is going to be done by Kyoto Animation >.< so I don't need to dream

Yay Yay this is going to be great
Old 2006-04-02, 15:22   Link #29
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

episode 01 raw

And we have a winner!

One of the funniest single anime episodes I've seen. Your mileage may vary, since this kind of smart (?) Pythonesque absurdity is the humor I love best. The cat clinging to the witch's shoulder and continually almost falling off just about killed me.

humor: A
animation: A (Kyoto Animation!)
backgrounds: A
Chihara Minori as Yuki: A (She does a nice job with the ED, too.)
Gotou Yuuko as Mikuru: A++ (A match made in heaven.)

I've blogged the first episode, with some screencaps.

Please note the change of avatar/sig from Tamura Yukari (Kashimashi) to Gotou Yuuko.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-02 at 18:05.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-02, 19:38   Link #30
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Kyo-Ani does it again!

Bringing "Asahina Mikuru no Bouken Episode 00" as the first episode introduction is the best way to the craziness of Suzumiya Haruhi to people who haven't read the novel, yet a great way to bring out laughter to those who did. BRILLIANCE!!!

Other genga studios should definitely learn a lesson/tip or two on bringing and maintaining god-level sakuga qualities.

I just hope Asahina Mikuru's off-key OP (In my opinion, this was genius at work!! It totally brings in the "shitty amateur video" jive!!) doesn't put people off of a terrific show wwww.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-04-02 at 19:55.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-02, 19:54   Link #31
Keitarou
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
And we have a winner!

One of the funniest single anime episodes I've seen. Your mileage may vary, since this kind of smart (?) Pythonesque absurdity is the humor I love best. The cat clinging to the witch's shoulder and continually almost falling off just about killed me.
Seconded. While I was already expecting something from that one, the first episode definitely managed to surprise me in a good way. Well, I took a look on the manga firsthand, so the begining was quite a "wtf" and it took me the opening and another half minute to get that they were making a movie.

Anyway, the comedy level is quite high, though it's more to the fact that the movie and its making were portrayed as a quite ambiguous project. And due to its theme it manages to become a great mahou shoujo parody.

The character designs are pretty nice and animation is really good. What I liked the most were all the pans and the amateurish effects which exactly captured the essence of such a "fan/student"-made production. :)

Overall a highly unexpected but moreso an enjoyable watch. Definitely recommended, if only for the nice designs and animation and the characters. :P
Keitarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-02, 20:35   Link #32
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Omg that was amazing, I can't believe they actually went with volume 2's movie as the opener. Oh, and I laughed so hard at everything. Kyon's constant tsukko... I mean narration, Koizumi's bouyomi, the teachers busting onto the roof... everthing.

And excellent job with the "home video" look, they got the wobbly camera, awkward zooms, bad picture quality (and I thought it was the anime itself at first), bad cuts, outside interruptions... they even got the overexposure/underexposure effect (like the cherry blossom scene in the end).

It's scary, I'm already 100% certain I'll be buying the DVD for this when it comes out, if only for this episode.

The next episode seems like it's finally going to backtrack to be beginning, can't wait. ^^ (By the way, are we going to count it as episode 1 like Haruhi says, or 2 like Kyon says?)
Old 2006-04-02, 22:07   Link #33
hi no ken Jebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I just hope Asahina Mikuru's off-key OP (In my opinion, this was genius at work!! It totally brings in the "shitty amateur video" jive!!) doesn't put people off of a terrific show wwww.
I can't get the Op out of my head This plus the interesting choice of soundtrack is what attracted me to the show. After the "shitty" OP and one of the "fighting sequences" I was hooked, the one with the eye beam combo. If quality like this continues from ep 1/2 on then we have a definite keeper.
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-02, 22:29   Link #34
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I just had a brief look at 2channel, and there is certainly a lot of interest: over 1000 posts in the 12 hours since the show aired. But there are definitely two camps:

1. "This is stupid. What's going on, why is she in a bunny costume, is she a mahou shoujo? You must have had to read the novel to enjoy this."

2. "This is great. Hilarious. The surface may seem stupid, but there's really a lot there. I'm so excited."

Clearly not all Japanese understand the better class of Japanese humor, lol. This episode reminds me of the smart self-mocking absurdity of British shows like Monty Python and Absolutely Fabulous.

The decision to start with the movie was really genius, like kj1980 said. I've only read a bit of the manga, and found the way it started a little slow-moving. This way, you are drawn into the Haruhi universe right away.

If this keeps up, Ichigo Mashimaro will have a competitor as the funniest anime I've ever seen.

I vote for this being episode 1, and next week episode 2. It's not as if this is a prologue. In any case, it's easier to keep track of the number of episodes if we don't go all coder and number the first item number zero. The file I saw was called "The Unhappiness of Suzumiya Haruhi, episode 1: Asahina Mikuru's Adventure, episode 0."

Oh, and I have a question for kj or someone else: how to translate the title. Is it Haruhi who is melancholy/depressed/unhappy, or is it that she makes the people around her that way?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-02 at 22:52.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-02, 23:04   Link #35
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
I just had a brief look at 2channel, and there is certainly a lot of interest: over 1000 posts in the 12 hours since the show aired. But there are definitely two camps:

1. "This is stupid. What's going on, why is she in a bunny costume, is she a mahou shoujo? You must have had to read the novel to enjoy this."

2. "This is great. Hilarious. The surface may seem stupid, but there's really a lot there. I'm so excited."
1 = First-time viewers, or those who are not familiar with the novel.
2 = People who know something about the novel? Or maybe first-timers who just liked the episode?

For anyone who have read the novel, (at least, those who have read up to or beyond Suzumiya Haruhi no Tameiki (the second volume)) this first episode was pretty much pure brilliance. (To put it another way, those of us who are "interested" enough to follow the novels can all appreciate these kind of situational humors found throughout the series)

Quote:
Oh, and I have a question for kj or someone else: how to translate the title. Is it Haruhi who is melancholy/depressed/unhappy, or is it that she makes the people around her that way?
涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu translates to "Suzumiya Haruhi's Depression". The reason why she's "depressed" should be quite obvious for anyone who's familiar with the background story. If not, it'll become clear soon enough.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-04-02 at 23:17.
Old 2006-04-02, 23:13   Link #36
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

I'm quite new to the story, but I love the animation. The hand-held camera work was hilarious even from a visual stand point alone. The choppy cuts, people in the background holding up light cards, blurry camera shots, over-exposure/under-exposure, reaching for scripts (reminds me of my college days)….daring stuff for an anime. Just loved it. The preview animation looks awesome. From the brief snips of the preview (the stairwell scene), there seems to be nice depth & shadowing. Great character designs.

Does the cat really talk? Hope so. That would be a total bonus (for me).
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 01:19   Link #37
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Wow...that has to be one of the most unique first episodes I've ever seen. Kyoto Animation has outdone themselves--can't wait to see this subbed, it was funny even watching it raw and I couldn't understand 95% of the dialogue. The reactions from the club members were priceless ^_^
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 04:32   Link #38
Paracelsus

Quote:
<Paracelsus> "Suzumiya haruhi no Yuuutsu is ten times more awesome than School Rumble."
<Paracelsus> His opinion is too pumped, but still...
<******> Well, go for it if you think it's good. The manga honestly bored me.
I trust his opinion, but I'd like to know your opinion about the manga, because if it is a manga adaptation then....
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 06:49   Link #39
shadowplay
passive observer

That was like OP song obu zee year... I didn't want to see anything past that since I'm waiting for fansub.
shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 06:54   Link #40
wao
OK.

Wow, I can't believe I ended up watching this, but I saw BluWacky's blogging on it and he said it was hilarious and unexpected (or something to that effect) - so I thought, why not just get the damn thing.

Gosh, did this air on April Fool's? IT would have fit the theme perfectly!

I am so surprised by the way they REALLY got the shitty-amateur-video thing across, it had me laughing throughout! A loooong time since a moe show has made me laugh... The lousy acting, the forgetting of lines, the teachers (that was hilarious!), the cat that almost fell off (I LOVE that cat, I can't wait to see more of it ), and... the reeeeheeaallly bad special effects

One of my favourite bits was the whole segment when Yuki was going to do something to Itsuki and then Mikuru appears and bumps into the pillar.... and then Yuki goes off, and while she's going off someone's closing a car door - that was brilliant! It really felt quite funny.

It's really great how they actually showed this in the anime, I haven't read the book but I actually want to watch at least one more episode to see wth this is about (and the general outline seems not bad, at least it's not harem... I hope)

Which is a great achievement, when's the last time I've enjoyed this type of show?!

And kj1980's right about how other sakuga studios should learn a bit from Kyoto - especially J.C. Staff! Look how much better the same illustrator's designs look here compared to Shana (well, I think they look much better-drawn here)
It may not be innovative animation ala Studio 4C and Satelight, but the key is that the animators seem to care about what they're doing and really put in effort to make it look like it should... GJ staff.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I liked the narration - halfway through: "Th-wait, you mean there's still another half to this?!" and earlier "Normally he'd call an ambulance or ask a bystander for help, but this young man is instead carrying this unconscious girl away like a princess in his arms, where does he think he's taking her, the bastard."

I also really liked the bit where Mikuru's classmates acted as zombies... "Sorry, Mikuru, but we've been, uh, kind of zombified, so..."

I don't know how much longer I'll watch it as I think at some point I'll start demanding more reality (I wonder if real high school students in Japan would do this... well, I wouldn't know), but hey, I stuck through all of Air, I'm sure I can stick through this... if its done well.

Last edited by wao; 2006-04-03 at 07:14.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen