AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2017-03-29, 03:23   Link #1
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Rurouni Kenshin Hokkaido Arc

Coming out very soon as a sequel! http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...g-2017/.109370

So excited
Old 2017-04-17, 20:37   Link #2
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I wonder if Ashitaro and Yahiko will fight more than Kenshin after what Megumi told Kenshin about his body.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-20, 15:32   Link #3
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Just read the Ashitaro prequel

Spoiler for hokkaido details:
Old 2017-06-19, 10:47   Link #4
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Sasaki reveals that Kenshin will be the protagonist of the new series, and that the new series will have five "arcs."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-video/.113247
Old 2017-06-19, 11:17   Link #5
Sixth
Hu Tao

Milkingggggggg!
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-19, 11:23   Link #6
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Keep milking that bull!
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-19, 11:32   Link #7
dragon1412

I'm fine with milking actually as long as the story is good enough. And I really love Kenshin style of non killing over most battle manga these day
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-19, 18:50   Link #8
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Actually, it's not milking. Watsuki conceived the Hokkaido arc back in the 90s but he was to tired to make it and ended the manga with the Jinchu arc. It's basically the Crisis Core FFVII of the original FFVII which was written early in the 90s
Old 2017-06-19, 20:50   Link #9
Superstars
Final Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
I wonder if Ashitaro and Yahiko will fight more than Kenshin after what Megumi told Kenshin about his body.
What's wrong with Kenshin's body?

Also this new series is with Kenshin as the main caster right?
Superstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-19, 22:25   Link #10
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

chronologically, when does this take place?

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-20, 07:54   Link #11
iko_uwais

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
chronologically, when does this take place?
After Ashitaro Ibun, which is after the end of the original series. Kenji is still a kid, just like in the ending
iko_uwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-20, 10:44   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Actually, it's not milking. Watsuki conceived the Hokkaido arc back in the 90s but he was to tired to make it and ended the manga with the Jinchu arc. It's basically the Crisis Core FFVII of the original FFVII which was written early in the 90s
Absolutely.

Honestly, while I'm very much looking forward to the manga and in no way consider it extraneous or "milking", for me the most important element may be that it increases the odds of a full anime adaptation. Reboot, continuation, whatever - it's inexplicable and inexcusable that one of the greatest, most popular (East and West) and most influential manga of all-time has never received a full adaptation. Inexcusable.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-20, 11:16   Link #13
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstars View Post
What's wrong with Kenshin's body?

Also this new series is with Kenshin as the main caster right?
Read the manga. It is explained in volume 28 during the epilogue chapters. Can't spoil it
Old 2017-06-20, 22:08   Link #14
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
That is very interesting, actually. Guess we CAN get hyped for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Absolutely.

Honestly, while I'm very much looking forward to the manga and in no way consider it extraneous or "milking", for me the most important element may be that it increases the odds of a full anime adaptation. Reboot, continuation, whatever - it's inexplicable and inexcusable that one of the greatest, most popular (East and West) and most influential manga of all-time has never received a full adaptation. Inexcusable.
Not unheard of, though. Look what happened with Negima. No, I'm not implying it is nearly as good or influential as Kenshin, but for how well known it was back in the day, that series got cursed with awful adaptations. Just reading what happened in that last movie makes me want to laugh.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-21, 02:39   Link #15
n0m@n
C-Z

I wasn't that eager in the continuation not only because it's been so long ever since the original ended. But also because of the fact that Jinchu arc wasn't as satisfying as the Kyoto arc. Don't get me wrong. I used to love this series since it is one of the few series which was being serliased when WSJ went from Golden age (Reigns of the big 3 DB/SD/YYH) → Dark times (End of all big 3) → Restoration period (Series which would later become major really quickly were introduced. Series such as OP, HxH, Naruto, and Bleach).

It was actually the most popular and best series in WSJ during the dark times which almost lasted for two years. The Kyoto arc was really epic and ever since Slam Dunk ended it always ranked 1st in ranking till the end of the Kyoto arc. But soon as the Jinchu arc started it wasn't hype as the previous arc due to the fact that the other Six Comrades besides Enishi wasn't fascinating or didn't do so well in capturing the attentions of the readers as Shishio and Juppongatana did. It still did well in ranking but not as good as before since it dropped from being ranked 1st. By the time Jinchu arc started OP was introduced in WSJ and it pretty much stole the 1st rank from RK in a matter of a month or so after being serialized (a feat even HnS nor DB was not able to do). So most people started to shift their attention to OP.

Wakatsuki did mention about Hokkaido arc in the past. But if Watsuki is really serious about it (which he is since its going to start in few months) then he needs to make it more interesting than the Jinchu arc. Not saying Jinchu arc wasn't good. It was good. But not as great as Kyoto arc (saying for the 2nd time). There has been great series where their last few arcs didn't do too well compared to their primes and even once a great series like Bleach where the final arc became utter shit to the point that it was actually axed.
Old 2017-06-21, 08:08   Link #16
DragonOsman
Dragon King

^Yeah, hopefully the Hokkaido Arc of Rurouni Kenshin won't do as bad as the final arc of Bleach. That was an abysmal performance and I really hope Watsuki can do better than that.

Also, hopefully, the Hokkaido Arc will be scanlated so that those of who can't read Japanese can also read it. Though I guess if there's no scanlated verison but Viz Media offers it on their site as a Digital manga for free, we could just make do with that.
Old 2017-06-21, 10:57   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I love the Jinchu Arc, personally. Kyoto is maybe my favorite shounen arc ever along with Chimera Ant, but Jinchu isn't that far behind it.
Old 2017-06-21, 11:17   Link #18
Sixth
Hu Tao

Jinchu arc is horrible. It is so bad I want to stop reading it at one point.

Also, I really doubt that he can write a proper story for Hokkaido arc considering how mediocre his previous works was, and if I not mistaken, wasn't some of them got canned? It is clearly that he is unable to replicate his previous success with his newest work and decided to ride back on his old cow.

Even though I am sceptical here, but I am going to read it either way, just doesn't have high hope on it.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-21, 11:53   Link #19
DragonOsman
Dragon King

I'll also read it. I haven't read his other works, though, so I wouldn't know what you mean.

I was fine with the Jinchu arc (if it's the final arc of the original series). I mean, we also got to know some more of Kenshin's past and also found out that he had a wife (whom he'd killed with his own hand and bore an emotional scar for it due to blaming himself - though he didn't do it on purpose and she actually sacrificed herself on his sword to save him). We didn't know much about Kenshin's past before that, so it was great to finally learn about it. That's why that arc got bonus from me.

I don't remember what Megumi's diagnosis was on his body, but yeah.
Old 2017-06-22, 00:23   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You really ought to put that in spoiler tags as a courtesy to those who haven't read the manga that far.