AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 51 57.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 28.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 9.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.14%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.14%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-12, 04:14   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 11 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hanasaku Iroha, Episode 11.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-06-12, 10:09   Link #2
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Amazing episode. After saying yesterday to a friend that another show was overtaking Iroha this episode comes back to the feeling I got from episode 1.

Spoiler for thoughts:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2011-06-12, 10:41   Link #3
Peanutbutter

Now this is a godly episode. If there's one word I'll use to describe this episode, it's "tense".

Just simply amazing.

Now, is this one gonna run for one cour, take a break, then comes back for the second cour? If so, is next week's the end of this cour?
Old 2011-06-12, 10:47   Link #4
Blaat

Bloody hell, what an episode best one since the opening two episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-06-12, 10:53   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The episode was as amazing as I had hoped it would be. The preview wasn't misleading at all for once.

Satsuki finally returns -- this time as an antagonist! The more I see of her, the less I like her. Her being the one who wrote the bad review (without visiting the inn of course; she had no qualms admitting she gave them a low score on someone else's orders (most likely the guys building that hot spring complex)) was an interesting twist. This revelation hit Ohana hard. She always made sacrifices so that her mom would have more free time, and all her mom did with that free time is fool around with dudes and write fake reviews. She doesn't even feel bad about it. At all.

Ohana's silent protest in front of Satsuki's workplace was pretty funny thanks to those banners (Matsumae Satsuki, regain your human heart! ). The face she was making was great too. Ohana is so lovable <3

As we thought, Glasses Girl became Ko's possible love interest. She's even confessed to him already, though he hasn't given her any answer yet. I think he's going to end up with her. Ohana realized she should give Ko an answer as well, I expect that to happen very soon. Despite the fact her feelings for Ko seem to have become stronger, I bet she's going to friendzone him.

All in all, an excellent episode. It blended light-hearted moments and drama very well, its atmosphere was very close to that of the first two episodes. There shouldn't be much complaints this week.

Oh, and the scenery was as gorgeous as ever. This is the TV series equivelent of a Shinkai film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Who's the one saying "good bye"?!
That's definitely Ko's voice.
Old 2011-06-12, 11:03   Link #6
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
This was an epic episode. Imo, the best episode of the series so far actually, even better the opening two. Everything I envisioned in the series is beginning to unfold.

Conflict between Kissuoi's business operations, conflict between Ohana and her mom, conflict between Ohana's mom and her work, conflict between Ohana and Ko, conflict between Ko and the "book girl", conflict between Ohana and herself. Now in the PV it suggests conflict between Ohana and the "book girl", with a "goodbye" phrase by Ko, a pissed off Tooru and a jealous Minko.

So to the people who thought that romantic/shipping elements didn't exist in the show...

This is what I initially envisioned Hanasaku Iroha to be, not some same-old, generic slice of life that's going to focus on slice of life/comedy but something with a dramatic bang that explores the theme of coming of age. This episode delivered that in spades. Now, please for the love of god keep it up and not go back to the slapstick nonsense that was episode 3 and 7.

11/10.
Old 2011-06-12, 11:07   Link #7
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

My video of this is fucking up everywhere for some reason, but watching the conflict between mother and daughter (de?)evolve from mere family matters provided great contrast on just how deeply embedded in Ohana her strong desire to become a person very much different from her mother. Perhaps the apple can fall far from the tree? In most cases she is much more similar to her grandmother than to her mother. Makes one wonder just how her mother grew up to be such a... well I'll reserve the terms to describe her until we get more back story.

As for Ko, I'm still in support of the underdog. Fight the powah Ko!

Blog post tomorrow.
Old 2011-06-12, 11:20   Link #8
Irisiel

*Gapes* Minko is actually growing on me, now! (Never thought THAT would happen! She's been a bit too caustic for my taste.)

And Satsuki just sold out not only her pride as a reviewer, but her pride as part of her family. She's not supporting Ohana with her job anymore, so she can't use that as an excuse to get on her high horse (especially since she's undermining and sabotaging Ohana's job and current family).

So, she throws Ohana at Grandma at a whim, and then decry the work that Ohana and Grandma does in a national magazine, and then wont even apologize in private, but goes "I supported you doing this work!"? Fuck that. Someone should strew Legos on her bedroom floor, or better yet, super-glue them stuck so that she always will have to step on them in the middle of the night.

At this point I'm thinking that Satsuki sees herself as a victim of Grandma and Ohana, Grandma because she's strict, and Ohana because Satsuki raised her by herself, because if she cannot even privately apologize for smearing them in public without cause, then she must feel at least a sizeable chunk of resentment.

After watching the preview I want it to be next week already!
Old 2011-06-12, 11:25   Link #9
ipodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Satsuki finally returns -- this time as an antagonist! The more I see of her, the less I like her. Her being the one who wrote the bad review (without visiting the inn of course; she had no qualms admitting she gave them a low score on someone else's orders (most likely the guys building that hot spring complex)) was an interesting twist. This revelation hit Ohana hard. She always made sacrifices so that her mom would have more free time, and all her mom did with that free time is fool around with dudes and write fake reviews. She doesn't even feel bad about it. At all.
Love her or hate her, but I think the situation depicted in this episode is very mature. Many adults have a job that they cannot be proud of, but they are doing it to support their kids. This is what Satsuki does - and she accepts it. Some people will feel bad for what they have to do and look for another job, other people will resign to their situation and reconcile their moral qualms for the sake of their family and kids (or for themselves).

This is the reality. And this series didn't sugarcoat it by having Satsuki apologizing to anyone for her work. This is what I would do. I put in the hours to get the job done. I get my paycheck. I am not going to apologize to anyone for your moral issues as long as I am not breaking any laws. A job gives us a sense of responsibility, and we don't always have the luxury of keep searching for a job that will fit us. Sometimes, in the real world, we have to change ourselves to fit our job.

At the same time, even with all her failings, Satsuki still supports Ohana's own beliefs and the path she has chosen by bringing her snacks. Yes, the parenting style depicted here is a very adult, and a cold one, with no tears or hugs. Yet, who is to say that it's not the reason why Ohana has grown to be a headstrong and an independent teenager?
Old 2011-06-12, 11:38   Link #10
deadite

Summaries of the next few episodes

http://anime.webnt.jp/programs/view/79
Old 2011-06-12, 11:45   Link #11
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

I really don´t know if I should feel bad or angry at the whole Satsuki thing. I mean, ....gosh, I can't even put it into words.

And how many times did Ohana cry this episode? I lost count. xD And what the hell are Minko and Tooru doing in Tokyo? O:

As for Ko. Why am I getting vibes that Ohana is now too late in coming to him? Or is that just my TooruxOhana shipper speaking?

And Tooru calls Ohana by her name in the preview and she asks him if he has a girlfriend. Oh wooow. xD; And Ko saying goodbye?!

PREVIEWS! STOP TROLLING US!!! D:
Old 2011-06-12, 11:56   Link #12
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Best episode yet. Despite her fitting in at Kisisuiso alot better, we're reminded of the issues that Ohana had unresolved when she moved from Tokyo. Also how much of a contrast her current life is now compared to then.
Old 2011-06-12, 12:04   Link #13
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
Love her or hate her, but I think the situation depicted in this episode is very mature.
The situation was very well-presented, and was realistic, and I appreciate that.

However, I see nothing "mature" about an appalling lack of professionalism.

And that is what Ohana's mom is guilty of: A complete and utter lack of professionalism.

And really it's not even so much about how she's affecting Ohana as it's about how she's affecting tourists, vacationers, and other people looking for honest, professional, knowledgeable advice on what Inns to stay at.

Ohana's mom is doing a grave disservice to the people who read that magazine (the one Ohana was reading at the beginning of the episode) looking for sincere advice on which Inns are worth staying at. How many people may have cancelled vacation plans needlessly because of the overly negative reviews wrote by Ohana's mom?

What she's doing may not be illegal, but it's highly disingenuous, unethical, and unprofessional. It's no different, really, than a movie critic giving a harsh movie review without even bothering to watch the movie himself or herself. What would most people think of such a supposed movie critic?

But yes, there are people like Ohana's mom in real life. That is realistic. And this anime is presenting them realistically. I don't think this anime is defending them, though. Quite the contrary, if anything.

In the end, I expect that Ohana's more principled approach will win out over the approach of her mother, just as Ohana's more principled approach won out over the Management Consultant in previous episodes.

Quote:

Many adults have a job that they cannot be proud of, but they are doing it to support their kids. This is what Satsuki does.
Not any more she isn't. Ohana is living at the Inn, and supporting herself now.

And Satsuki's job isn't the excuse for every failing on her part. Why not get the right Christmas present for her young daughter for example? It can't take all that much effort to pick up a sticker book instead of a teddy bear.

Quote:

Some people will feel bad for what they have to do and look for another job, other people will resign to their situation and reconcile their moral qualms for the sake of their family and kids (or for themselves).
And some people will fight to change their job from the inside. Most of the workplace improvements of the 20th century came about not by fleeing for another job, or by easily accepting its more unacceptable aspects, but by reforming it from the inside.

So, overall, I strongly disagree with you.

My views on Ohana's mom are very similar to Kanon's now.

I'll have more to say about the episode as a whole later. I will say right now though that I liked it a lot.
Old 2011-06-12, 12:06   Link #14
hanashi

I'm at work, so I only skimmed the episode, but I'm just happy that things are moving forward. I find Ko hard to read so I'm not even going to speculate. The situation wasn't fair to anyone and I think Ohana realizes that now.

Personal shipping preferences aside, I really love Ko. "I just happened to be in the neighborhood." "In Tokyo?!"

Am I the only one amused by how many love triangles, squares, and polygons are now in this show? I'm feeling like my high school years were too peaceful...

Satsuki...is a horrible mother. I wonder how long she's been back in Tokyo?

Why are Tooru and Minko in Tokyo? I'm pretty sure that's the Kissuiso van. Minko's expression while Tooru tries to win a stuffed sushi doll is priceless. Tooru, stay away from claw games and gatcha machines! Those things are deadly!

All I have are questions! I want it to be next Sunday right now!
Old 2011-06-12, 12:27   Link #15
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Ohana's seiyuu is amazing. TT.TT Her crying made me break down into tears. xD I'm such a wimp. But emotional stress that Ohana was feeling touched me.

Anyway, I was hoping for the entire episode that Tooru would be the one to find Ohana since she's always the one who goes to find him lol I don't mind that Minko was there too... Kind of. I'd prefer it if Tooru and Ohana were alone but since Minko was there too that just shows how worried she was about Ohana. Best friends forevaaa.

However the next episode's preview looks like they're staying in Tokyo for another day so maybe Tooru and Minko were out on business instead of looking for Ohana Whatever, at least they found her.
Old 2011-06-12, 12:29   Link #16
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
She always made sacrifices so that her mom would have more free time, and all her mom did with that free time is fool around with dudes and write fake reviews. She doesn't even feel bad about it. At all.
I would love to see Tooru bitchslapping her mom in the next episode. Ohana is way mature and good-natured than her mom will even be.
Old 2011-06-12, 12:34   Link #17
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What she's doing may not be illegal, but it's highly disingenuous, unethical, and unprofessional.
And she was told to do so by the higher ups (a fact you politely ignored), meaning that even if she visited the place she could not give it a proper review.
Old 2011-06-12, 12:35   Link #18
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
a lot of things happen in this episode, it felt like it was kind of rushed. Kind of a surprise as Ohana's mother wrote the review. Thought it was the other female with her mother at the end of that episode who said she had work to do here. Maybe that women is from another company and gives better reviews and everything will be back to normal.
Old 2011-06-12, 12:37   Link #19
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
And she was told to do so by the higher ups (a fact you politely ignored), meaning that even if she visited the place she could not give it a proper review.
At least if she visited the place she could incorporate factual information into the review. Get some truth out there anyway.
Old 2011-06-12, 12:40   Link #20
ipodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
However, I see nothing "mature" about an appalling lack of professionalism.

And that is what Ohana's mom is guilty of: A complete and utter lack of professionalism.
Professionalism means following the customs and mores of the profession. Satuski is in a shady magazine where writers are told to write either flattering or unflattering articles. Her job is akin to that of a paparazzi. There is nothing unprofessional about being a paparazzi as long as one follows the laws.

What you are saying is that you disagree with the profession she has chosen, not whether she is professional or not.

Quote:
And really it's not even so much about how she's affecting Ohana as it's about how she's affecting tourists, vacationers, and other people looking for honest, professional, knowledgeable advice on what Inns to stay at.
And that's her job. The higher-ups have ordered her to write an unflattering article.

Again, there is nothing unprofessional or unethical about what she has done. The only thing Satsuki is guilty of is putting her own career above her kid's happiness. She might be a bad parent, maybe. But she is not unprofessional.

Quote:
But yes, there are people like Ohana's mom in real life. That is realistic. And this anime is presenting them realistically. I don't think this anime is defending them, though. Quite the contrary, if anything.
I made no argument regarding whether this series takes any position on Satuski's profession. This is why I made a comment about how mature this episode is - it takes no position on the situation.

Quote:
And Satsuki's job isn't the excuse for every failing on her part. Why not get the right Christmas present for her young daughter for example? It can't take all that much effort to pick up a sticker book instead of a teddy bear.
If failing to get your child a right Christmas gift is considered a parental failure, then: 1. kids today are horribly spoiled; and 2. kids today need Satuski's brand of parenting where you get to learn to st!u.

Quote:
And some people will fight to change their job from the inside. Most of the workplace improvements of the 20th century came about not by fleeing for another job, or by easily accepting its more unacceptable aspects, but by reforming it from the inside.
I admire whistleblowers who put their conscience above all else. But I don't condemn anyone who lacks such courage. While doing so would give us a satisfying sense of smugness and self-righteousness, I personally won't make such judgments on others until I have gone through the same situation myself and have shown the same willingness to speak out.

Quote:
At least if she visited the place she could incorporate factual information into the review. Get some truth out there anyway.
There is no indication that Satuski's has the editorial freedom. You are supposing that she has more latitude than what has been presented in the episode.
Closed Thread