AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-07-26, 16:05   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1055 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

It's that time, folks! Credit for spoiler info goes to Redon and co.:

-Chapter title is "New Era". Splash is a color page promoting the upcoming Film RED.

-Momonosuke tells Yamato that he wants to take on Ryokugyu alone because he wants to prove he can protect Wano by himself. Plus, he feels that's part of his duty as shogun. Unfortunately, he and the Scabbards are struggling against the admiral! Meanwhile, Robin and Law accompany Kouzuki Sukiyaki to the underground depths of ancient Wano, where the Road Poneglyph is located. We discover that the ruins of ancient Wano are preserved thanks to being submerged in rainwater, not seawater. Sukiyaki tried to conceal this secret from Kaidou and Orochi, but Jack, who's a fish-man, eventually discovered those ruins. Sukiyaki then explains that the Wano of 800 years ago used to be a much bigger land, about three times bigger than it is now, and was located at the base of Mt. Fuji. However, once the country was closed off, the border walls accumulated so much rainwater that old Wano was render uninhabitable.... thus forcing the people to relocate and rebuild at a higher elevation. This is how the current Wano came to be! But while the ruins hold the Road Poneglyph, an even greater secret lies beneath the base of Mt. Fuji: The Ancient Weapon, Pluton! And to awaken the weapon, it's necessary to remove the walls surrounding the country. In other words, opening Wano's borders is the key to unleashing Pluton upon the world!!! Robin questions why Oden wanted to open the country's borders if it involved such a huge risk, but Sukiyaki cannot guess what his late son's intentions were.....

-Back above, Momo is still struggling against the admiral.Yamato suggests asking Luffy and co. for help, but the young shogun says he can't always rely on outside help! In his desperation, Momo discovers he's able to use the Boro/Blast Breath technique! However, it seems Ryokugyu didn't take much damage from the attack, and is about to get serious on the "Kaidou wannabe".... when suddenly, he stops in his tracks. As it turns out, the admiral received a dose of the conqueror's haki emitted from a very angry Shanks, who asks the marines if they're that frightened by the dawn of this new era! As he targets Ryokugyu, we see some flashing vignettes of the emperor's memories.... one of them being a silhouette of Uta from Film Red. Having felt Shanks' wrath, Ryokugyu has no choice but to abandon his hunt for Luffy and make his retreat! Speaking of Luffy, he, Zoro, Sanji, and Jinbei were watching the battle from nearby, and praise Momo for choosing to defend himself without their help. Though they too sensed Shanks' haki, they couldn't tell it actually came from him. Luffy, however, did think of a familiar face when he sensed it.....

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2022-07-28 at 12:27.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-26, 17:00   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

"I came here... to promote my film!!"
Old 2022-07-26, 19:59   Link #3
Gerard07

Well, now you can't say that what happens in the movie won't be canon.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-27, 00:37   Link #4
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard07 View Post
Well, now you can't say that what happens in the movie won't be canon.
The movie is not canon, Uta is the same case as Shiki. A canonical character placed in a non canonical situation.
Old 2022-07-27, 02:18   Link #5
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-Momonosuke tells Yamato that he wants to take on Ryokugyu alone because he wants to prove he can protect Wano by himself. Plus, he feels that's part of his duty as shogun. As he faces off against the admiral, Momo discovers he's able to use the Boro/Blast Breath technique! However, it seems Ryokugyu didn't take much damage from the attack, and is about to get serious on the "Kaidou wannabe".... when suddenly, he stops. As it turns out, the admiral sensed the conqueror's haki emitted from Shanks, and ultimately decides to give up on Luffy for now, since the Red Hair pirates are also present at Wano.
I'm not sure what to think of it.
Momo is absolutely right in assuming, that he and his people should be able to defend themselves and not rely on outer help. On the other hand Shanks intervening means, that effectively the Samurai failed.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-27, 12:55   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Turns out the four big hitters of the Straw-hats were watching the battle and thinking the same thing as Momo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Momo is absolutely right in assuming, that he and his people should be able to defend themselves and not rely on outer help. On the other hand Shanks intervening means, that effectively the Samurai failed.
It's even weirder because the Straw-hats praise Momo for not needing their help when the only reason they "won" is because Shanks scared the enemy away. The battle could have gone either way, and I'd say more likely in Ryokugyu's favor. Kaido, and this very chapter with Shanks' display, made it clear that haki is what matters the most, so Momo's dragon powers are meaningless against such a strong enemy. And the Scabbards' display was rather pathetic, didn't even scratch him apparently.
Old 2022-07-28, 14:11   Link #7
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
But while the ruins hold the Road Poneglyph, an even greater secret lies beneath the base of Mt. Fuji: The Ancient Weapon, Pluton! And to awaken the weapon, it's necessary to remove the walls surrounding the country. In other words, opening Wano's borders is the key to unleashing Pluton upon the world!!! Robin questions why Oden wanted to open the country's borders if it involved such a huge risk, but Sukiyaki cannot guess what his late son's intentions were.....
The fact that opening Wano’s borders to release Pluton feels ominously similar to Attack on Titan’s heroes activating The Rumbling.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-28, 15:37   Link #8
Gerard07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
The movie is not canon, Uta is the same case as Shiki. A canonical character placed in a non canonical situation.
Hmm i guess you're right.
Regarding the spoilers, more was revealed about PLUTON (I kept thinking that to make it work I needed someone like Vivi, but I was wrong T.T) and Shanks saved Momo and company with his haki, to see how things will turn out later.
Old 2022-07-29, 08:39   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

How much would it have to rain for a nation the size of Wano to be submerged? There would need to be no sunny days for a long time, either. And how dumb would you have to be to make completely impermeable walls?

The Shanks moment could have been cool if it wasn't there only to promote the movie. It completely ruined Ryokugyu's hype too. I can't take a guy who literally shits his pants feeling an Emperor's conqueror haki seriously. The pants shitting happened before he identified the haki as belonging to Shanks.
Old 2022-07-29, 10:00   Link #10
itachi-san314

I really like the Wano history, but Ryokugyu's fight turned out kind of lame. It was weird how easily the Samurai were captured and then it was even weirder how easily Ryokugyu backed down from Shanks. Akainu would have kept the fight going.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-29, 11:07   Link #11
Kaz_

I just hope that Shanks wont run off again, considering Oda is planning to wrap things up in mere 3 years its a good time to explain a bit stuff about Nika Nika, Blackbeard and ancient weapons.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-29, 14:47   Link #12
Gerard07

Seen the chapter, it was explained more about the old Wano, the new Admiral seems to be scared of Shanks and Luffy became familiar with the haki he felt. Although I liked the chapter, I hope that Oda explains soon how Buggy made him become a Yonkou (did he get the other ancestral weapon -Uranus- or something like that?) and if possible also show the rewards of the other characters and it is clarified if Yamato and Carrot join as nakamas (although Yamato is almost confirmed, I still have hopes that Carrot also joins).
Old 2022-07-29, 16:18   Link #13
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I really like the Wano history, but Ryokugyu's fight turned out kind of lame. It was weird how easily the Samurai were captured and then it was even weirder how easily Ryokugyu backed down from Shanks. Akainu would have kept the fight going.
That’s because Akainu is way stronger than Green Bull, you are forgetting that Green Bull is new and isn’t as powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
The fact that opening Wano’s borders to release Pluton feels ominously similar to Attack on Titan’s heroes activating The Rumbling.
I think the difference is that Pluton is intended for a GOOD thing, as what Oden learned on Laugh Tale implies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Turns out the four big hitters of the Straw-hats were watching the battle and thinking the same thing as Momo.

It's even weirder because the Straw-hats praise Momo for not needing their help when the only reason they "won" is because Shanks scared the enemy away. The battle could have gone either way, and I'd say more likely in Ryokugyu's favor. Kaido, and this very chapter with Shanks' display, made it clear that haki is what matters the most, so Momo's dragon powers are meaningless against such a strong enemy. And the Scabbards' display was rather pathetic, didn't even scratch him apparently.
You are forgetting that the scabbards haven’t completely recovered from the raid.

You always overhype things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
You do realize that Momo was putting Green Bull on the ropes once he start breathing fire at him, fire is clearly the Forest Fruit’s weakness, all Shanks did was end the fight quicker. You are giving it too much thought.

Last edited by Jmariofan7; 2022-07-29 at 17:14.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-29, 18:17   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz_ View Post
I just hope that Shanks wont run off again, considering Oda is planning to wrap things up in mere 3 years its a good time to explain a bit stuff about Nika Nika, Blackbeard and ancient weapons.
His ship is sailing away at the end. No reason to stick around, his movie will be out by the time the next chapter rolls around.
Old 2022-07-30, 09:47   Link #15
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
his movie will be out by the time the next chapter rolls around.
lol. It is kinda bs if they don't end up meeting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmariofan7 View Post
That’s because Akainu is way stronger than Green Bull, you are forgetting that Green Bull is new and isn’t as powerful
Akainu is obviously more powerful. You're forgetting that Green Bull is trying to make him proud. I don't think Akainu would be too happy right now.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-01, 09:55   Link #16
marvelB

Whoa, almost forgot to comment on the chapter! Yeah, I also agree it's a shame that Ryokugyu was basically jobbed by Shanks. I mean, just let that sink in.... the guy got beaten by product placement. Still despite not making the best first impression, I'm still holding out hope that he'll prove a threat to the NW's elite in due time. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much point in him becoming an admiral in the first place, right?

As far as Momo goes, I also have mixed feelings..... I do like the idea of him wanting to defend Wano without outside help, but him "beating" Ryokugyu through a fluke doesn't inspire the most confidence, admittedly. Hopefully, he'll be trained in using haki soon, otherwise I'd say the best way for him to defend his home is to hurry up and awaken Pluton already, lol. It also wouldn't hurt for him to learn how to morph into his hybrid mode, either.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-01, 14:31   Link #17
Hoodspirit

Greenbull will be as strong as needed next time, same as we've seen with Zoro, Sanji, Law, Kid this arc.
Wano ruined any sensible power progression, there is no recovery from that. Same as with the lying narrator.

Momonosuke not achieving his goal due to a movie promotion is a shame though, especially considering the panel time wasted on that.

Wano's new geography is weird and puts a lot of questionmarks on why it has different climates.

Also, why are they letting Law know about Pluton? Last time I checked he was not a SHP. Robin didn't tell the SHPs about Poseidon as far as we know. It was such a big deal during Enies Lobby.

It's too soon to see if Oda's vacation will bring him back on track, with pre-produced chapters etc., but the comment about him trying to end the series within 3 years doesn't bode well. I can't imagine how he will satisfyingly cram all what's missing into it.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-01, 17:45   Link #18
Tuor

Momo has *no business* beating a Navy Admiral. None at all, IMO. All of the Straw Hats together, pre-time skip were *easily* defeated by an Admiral. Momo has no combat skill at all, nor has he spent any time mastering his dragon abilities. He's a complete neophyte, and him thinking that his country should be able to protect themselves against the world's strongest is ludicrous.

I mean, I understand this is Oda being a homer, but even so I think it's pretty absurd.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-01, 18:18   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Also, why are they letting Law know about Pluton? Last time I checked he was not a SHP. Robin didn't tell the SHPs about Poseidon as far as we know. It was such a big deal during Enies Lobby.

It's too soon to see if Oda's vacation will bring him back on track, with pre-produced chapters etc., but the comment about him trying to end the series within 3 years doesn't bode well. I can't imagine how he will satisfyingly cram all what's missing into it.
It's not like Robin invited him. Once he was here, what was she going to do? Law already expressed his interest in finding out about the true history and more specifically what the will of .D is, and after all this time Luffy even considers him part of his crew (much to his annoyance). No reason to keep him out of the conversation.

There is no fucking way Oda will end the story within three years. This is the same guy who initially planned to end One Piece in five years. And here we are, 25 years later.
Old 2022-08-01, 18:57   Link #20
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Is it weird how the samurai were capture? They’re injured and exhausted from the previous battle. Of course they’re not going to be able to bring their full might to this fight. They’re also fighting a man with a df that is specialized to taking on groups.