AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-09-20, 17:39   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1061 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

The time has come! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Future Island Egghead". In the ministory, Germa, having successfully rescued Niji and Yonji, make their escape!

-Out at sea, as Luffy rescues both Chopper and Bonney, a new threat arises: A gigantic, metallic shark! Jinbei dives into the deep to rescue the DF users, while Franky attempts to evade the mechanical beast pursuing them! However, the shark can fire cannons from its mouth, and sinks the boat into the ocean! The shark is about to swallow up the Sunny, when suddenly, another giant robot, this one more humanoid, appears. It then proceeds to knock out the shark!

-Meanwhile, at a nearby island, there's a marine base belonging to the G14 unit. Tashigi is there looking after the kids from Punk Hazard when she's approached by the G14 commander, a vice admiral named Doll. She's complaining about Helmeppo of SWORD, who (along with fellow member Hibari) is begging his superiors for help in saving Coby from Blackbeard! However, the rear admiral, Prince Grus, is not so keen on the idea of invading an emperor's home turf. Helmeppo then requests to take the Seraphim with them since they're close to Egghead, but Prince firmly refuses, saying they're in no position to act right now, especially since there's been no word from Drake, either....

Back to Luffy's group, after they've washed ashore, Bonney briefly introduces herself to them, and thanks them for their help. After exchanging a few more words, she reveals that they're currently on the island of Egghead, which is reputed to be 500 years in the future in terms of technology. Bonney came to the island on her own when her ship got swallowed by the robot shark, but that setback won't impede her from fulfilling her purpose at this island: to visit Dr. Vegapunk! Back out at sea, the robot from earlier has rescued the Sunny.... or so it seems. The woman piloting the machine, who also built the shark, denies being the Straw-Hats' savior, as she works for the government. The mystery lady introduces herself as none other than Dr. Vegapunk....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2022-09-22 at 12:47.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-20, 17:53   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So far, it's basically shaping up to be Punk Hazard 2.0. Even the climate is the same.

So Vegapunk loves lolis so much he turned himself into one? Or was everything we thought we knew about him all wrong and he/she's always been an ageless loli?
Old 2022-09-20, 18:31   Link #3
Gerard07

It certainly sounds a bit like PH (I read a spoiler there that Bonney was the daughter of Vegapunk, I guess it was false). About that girl who claims to be Vegapunk, I don't think she is a loli, it is possible that she is a girl who admires him and bears her name (similar to Yamato with Kozuki Oden), to wait for more information.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-20, 23:22   Link #4
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Unless Vegapunk takes an interest in Bonney and has the age reverted to a child. When the crew separates, now it's up to Nami to handle the rest of the matters (Since we know that Nami is more proficient in handling the internals compared to Jinbe, that can take the role of negotiator outside Straw Hats).

Let's take a guess, shall we?
My guess, Vegapunk would be either a kid version of Kureha or Vivi.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-21, 03:33   Link #5
Homura7

We're finally entering the arc where all the lore surrounding the DF will be finally unveiled. After Luffy awakened his and Nami's Clima Tact became a living weapon through Zeus, the timing couldn't be more perfect.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-22, 03:43   Link #6
Homura7

Pics are out and man, what a babie Vegapunk turned out to be. But now that brings the question of how this old man or woman ended up like that.
Old 2022-09-22, 07:06   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Heh, Vegapunk is actually a very young but still very much grown woman. She speaks like an old man apparently, so stuff definitely happened.
Old 2022-09-22, 10:27   Link #8
grecefar

Yeah I'll wait and see, to be honest it was somewhat underwhelming if she is vegapunk.

Let's see.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-22, 10:40   Link #9
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Im getting PTSD from thinking that this might possibly turn into the sequel of the Yamato gender debate.

Last edited by MAX_COLA_POWER!; 2022-09-22 at 12:26.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-22, 12:11   Link #10
Theia_Loki

I'm left feeling just as bamboozled as the rest of you here. Was Vegapunk pulling an old-man disguise or something back in Caesar's flashback to what led to the incident that she took the fall for publicly? I swear it might have been, but that jacket might have thrown things off by a lot.

But, then again...
Was anyone expecting Dadan or Yamato to turn out to be ladies before their respective debuts?
Heck, she might very well be a lot older than she looks. That Shakky turned out to be in her 70s yet still looks like she's 30-40 years younger is not something to forget, and even Katakuri looked as if he were in his 20s-30s despite his actual age of 48.

And considering Vegapunk is a scientist, she might have even done some anti-aging work and used it on herself.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-22, 13:30   Link #11
marvelB

Well, the fan TL is out already, so OP updated! Boy, quite a bit to drink in this chapter.... robots, new marines, Luffy hanging out with Bogey Bonney, and now Vegapunk(?) finally appears! I'm also pretty convinced that there's a big catch with Punk's appearance. I mean, wasn't the character described as an old man in an earlier arc? I'm not 100% sure, but I recall something like that. Anyway, since this "Vegapunk" does indeed seem to be speaking like an old man, maybe this is a clone body? Or talking remotely through a female android? Or perhaps the good doctor was indeed a woman all along? So many questions.....

Anyway, surprisingly the highlight of the chapter for me was Helmeppo showing that he really did care for his old rival Coby. He sure came a long way from that brat who used his father's name to terrorize a town (and, y'know, threatened to blast Coby's brains out with a gun, lol). Those marine girls introduced this chapter are pretty cute, too (and hey, it's nice to see more Lady VAs). Oh, and notice that Caribou was among those who reacted to being rescued by Vegapunk's robot.... welp, that proves it, then: New nakama, confirmed!
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-22, 23:18   Link #12
ultramanfanz12

We finally enter vegapunk arc and as usual Oda decided to take a break after dropping a bomb of cliffhanger.
One thing that i looking forward to is Boney backstory and what exactly is her connection with Kuma.
ultramanfanz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-22, 23:43   Link #13
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramanfanz12 View Post
We finally enter vegapunk arc and as usual Oda decided to take a break after dropping a bomb of cliffhanger.
One thing that i looking forward to is Boney backstory and what exactly is her connection with Kuma.
All that's left of the Worst Generation members to gain the spotlight is Urogue wherever he is.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-23, 06:42   Link #14
Homura7

"Rabbit Propeller".

Well played, Oda (lol).
Old 2022-09-23, 09:13   Link #15
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So far, it's basically shaping up to be Punk Hazard 2.0. Even the climate is the same.

So Vegapunk loves lolis so much he turned himself into one? Or was everything we thought we knew about him all wrong and he/she's always been an ageless loli?
She/he can be a transgender personage like Yamato.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-23, 09:42   Link #16
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
She/he can be a transgender personage like Yamato.
Or probably a scientific version of Ivankov. I'm kinda surprised if we have a scientific version of Ivankov, though.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-23, 11:42   Link #17
Gerard07

Seen the chapter, Franky showed a new weapon of Sunny (or had he already shown it?, I may not remember...), Luffy met Bonney which can be good since she is a character that can give interesting information and about the girl at the end, she may be the wife or daughter of Vegapunk, or as they said above, it is possible that this scientist can change gender, to wait for the next chapter.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-23, 14:28   Link #18
grecefar

I'll go with the she is a robot and vegapunk is talking through her.

When I think of vegapunk, I think of willy.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-23, 17:15   Link #19
P_Dezz

I'm really hoping for a side quest arc now. Thinking VP got a some sort sacred mineral/jewel he can't get to and he needs crew to help him retrieve it and he'll give them info and tech of sorts to help them as a reward.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-23, 18:33   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Given that her outfit says "Punk 2", I'd say it's likely the girl is a cyborg/android with Vegapunk's personality implanted into her. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the twist is that the real Vegapunk is actually dead.

A post on another pace reminded me that Oda stated in a SBS that everything about Devil Fruits would be revealed when Vegapunk gets introduced, so this is shaping up to be extremely interesting!
I'm sticking with my theory that DFs were man-made during the Void Century.