AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-03-06, 13:39   Link #1
KenshinHimura886

DivX DVD Players and Anime

I finally bought a DivX DVD player yesterday, Philips brand, and it seems to work okay except that... for most of my anime, it doesn't quite fit the screen, and half the subtitles are cut off. There is a zoom feature where I can zoom in and out, but only x2, x4, x8, and that makes the screen too small. If there were a better DivX player out there that allowed me to zoom out progressively, to, say x1.25 or something...

Anyway. Does anyone know if there are any DivX players out there that are better suited to anime?
KenshinHimura886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 15:06   Link #2
Aird

Your DVD player is fine. The problem you are having is overscan. You can either re-encode your anime to fix this problem or reduce how much your TV overscans.
You should look at this thread for the first solution: Convert AVI/MKV/MP4 to DVD .

If you own a relatively new HD TV, it might have a built in picture option called 1:1 mapping that should eliminate the overscan. For older tvs you can try to find the service menu and re-adjust the overscan. The side affect of re-adjusting the overscan is that you might see garbage on the edges of the screen when watching TV stations (The reason why TV cut off part of the picture).
Aird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 18:52   Link #3
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Wow, that zoom future is really limited. My Panasonic DVDS42S has continuous zooming, never once had the forementioned subtitle problems. I think the price is around the same, along with the (new?) Sony DVP-NS63P. At least at my local Bestbuy or Futureshop. I wish there're DVD players that could play all the containers from the computer. =/
Old 2007-03-08, 13:03   Link #4
KenshinHimura886

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflection View Post
Wow, that zoom future is really limited. My Panasonic DVDS42S has continuous zooming, never once had the forementioned subtitle problems. I think the price is around the same, along with the (new?) Sony DVP-NS63P. At least at my local Bestbuy or Futureshop. I wish there're DVD players that could play all the containers from the computer. =/
Ah, yes, this is the information I've been waiting for. =D Thanks so much!
KenshinHimura886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-10, 19:18   Link #5
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

I had the same problem with my Phillips DivX player when using composite video cables. I switched to component cables and it played perfectly.

The DVD player is very useful since it has a USB input. All I do is plug in a USB harddrive or a thumbdrive to watch most anime.
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 04:51   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshinHimura886 View Post
I finally bought a DivX DVD player yesterday, Philips brand, and it seems to work okay except that... for most of my anime, it doesn't quite fit the screen, and half the subtitles are cut off. There is a zoom feature where I can zoom in and out, but only x2, x4, x8, and that makes the screen too small. If there were a better DivX player out there that allowed me to zoom out progressively, to, say x1.25 or something...

Anyway. Does anyone know if there are any DivX players out there that are better suited to anime?
that si the bad thing about the dvd player yes, it isnt because of the dvd player but because of the size of the thing you play, i sually solve it by pressing on the zom button of my television remote, that way i can set it a little more squeshed together (not as in a wide screen that verticalle and horizentally stuff looks out of order aka: wide and short) but enough to see the subs below it
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 12:01   Link #7
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Are there DVD players (not home entertainment computer systems) where you can update the firmware so it can support H.264/AAC within MKV files for example ? The one I have doesn't even know DivX >_> Only WMV/WMA/MP3/MPEG-2. (Samsung thingy).

Any idea where I can order such device if it exists?
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 12:39   Link #8
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
Are there DVD players (not home entertainment computer systems) where you can update the firmware so it can support H.264/AAC within MKV files for example ? The one I have doesn't even know DivX >_> Only WMV/WMA/MP3/MPEG-2. (Samsung thingy).

i would love one of those as well lol but i havent heard of any that support mkv fles etc. yet..
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-19, 15:13   Link #9
Levon
Unregistered User

Quote:
So you can adjust the size of the video to fit your screen?
I have an old 27" CRT TV and it cuts off a lot at the bottom. I'm looking for a Divx player where you really have freedom of choosing the size so the subs arn't cut off.
I use the Toshiba SD-3990 which is pretty good. Maybe 75% of fansubs arn't cut off although many are very near the bottom. My TV is abnormal, so for others it might be more like 95%.

If anyone can recommend the best Divx player where I can adjust the size I'd be very grateful, I don't mind the price as long as its not over $100. I'll look into the Panasonic DVDS42S.

[edit]- I can't find Panasonic DVDS42S, where do you buy it? Is it only sold in Canada?
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-19, 19:03   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Are there DVD players (not home entertainment computer systems) where you can update the firmware
Since most technologies like H.264, MP3, DivX and the like are encumbered by patents in the US, I think the answer is no. While my two-month-old Panasonic S53 upscaling player supports MPEG4 and DivX, it has no H.264 support, nor do I expect to see it anytime soon. I had purchased a Sony player, and it supported none of these formats, so off to the exchange desk I went.

You'd be surprised how little H.264 is used outside of our little anime world. There's some suggestion that it might appear some day in cable/satellite HD distribution, but that's all still mostly vanilla MPEG2 like traditional DVDs, or slowly moving to MPEG4 like DirecTV's new HD offerings. Most things I see that aren't in AVI are in WMV. Matroska is practically non-existent as a container format, and even the mp4 container seems pretty rare still.

@OP: Can you tell us what types of files you're having problems with, and what type of TV you have? Before I bought an HDTV, I was playing anime with my LG player that also supported XviD. Animes in the 640x480 format almost always suffered from having the subtitles cut off; ones in 16:9 formats didn't suffer the same fate. Eventually I learned how to rescale the 480p videos and center them in a black box so the subs appeared correctly.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-12-19 at 19:13.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 04:00   Link #11
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
So you can adjust the size of the video to fit your screen?
I have an old 27" CRT TV and it cuts off a lot at the bottom. I'm looking for a Divx player where you really have freedom of choosing the size so the subs arn't cut off.
I use the Toshiba SD-3990 which is pretty good. Maybe 75% of fansubs arn't cut off although many are very near the bottom. My TV is abnormal, so for others it might be more like 95%.

If anyone can recommend the best Divx player where I can adjust the size I'd be very grateful, I don't mind the price as long as its not over $100. I'll look into the Panasonic DVDS42S.

[edit]- I can't find Panasonic DVDS42S, where do you buy it? Is it only sold in Canada?
I got the S42 a couple of years back, so they probably phased out the S42 by now with a newer model. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm willing to bet that all of the Panasonic S-line DVD players have this ability.
Old 2007-12-23, 18:51   Link #12
CoolBradG
Disabled By Request

I got a Samsung Ar650 DVD Recorder with DivX playback. It was only $99.99 on Newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...amsung%2bar650

So far its worked very nicely, has a built in HDTV Tuner also and you can record normal and HDTV. Only thing it lacks is a USB port which for me doesn't really matter.

And yes its re-certified but mine looks and works like its brand new so you can't complain.
CoolBradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 10:16   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In what format does it record HD content? Will it store 720p or 1080i/p programs in their native formats? Will it record on double-sided DVDs? (Sorry to ask; I found it hard to determine the specs of this device, even on Samsung's site.) While I'd prefer H.264 encodes in mp4 containers for portability, DivX is a good, though proprietary, alternative. Can you write a DVD in DivX, or just write standard DVDs? DivX on a double-sided DVD could probably store even long programs like sporting events at 720p.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 14:07   Link #14
CoolBradG
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
In what format does it record HD content? Will it store 720p or 1080i/p programs in their native formats? Will it record on double-sided DVDs? (Sorry to ask; I found it hard to determine the specs of this device, even on Samsung's site.) While I'd prefer H.264 encodes in mp4 containers for portability, DivX is a good, though proprietary, alternative. Can you write a DVD in DivX, or just write standard DVDs? DivX on a double-sided DVD could probably store even long programs like sporting events at 720p.
Well I have not tried recording HDTV yet, only standard cable. I use DVD-RW's which let me record/watch/erase stuff without "finalizing" the disc. If you don't finalize the disk no other player/computer can read except the Samsung player so in order to rip or play what you recorded elsewhere you must finalize the disk. I'm pretty sure on DVD-R it finalizes the disk no matter what but I like re-using disks (DVD-RW) especially if I'm gone and just wanna record a show and watch it once then delete. I'm pretty sure you can only write in standard form. I have not seen a way to change recording format. Also double sided/dual layer is a confusing subject (for me I don't use that). In the manual it talks about it giving you more recording time but others have said that those disks don't seem to work. It does give you options though to extend the recording time (one option gives about 6 hours).

Not sure if I was any help but try googling the Ar650 you may find more info that way, I mostly use it for small recordings and playing burned/rented DVD's. It also has a built in HD Tuner so if your TV is LCD and HD Ready you can get free HD channels and record them.

Also if your unfamiliar with Newegg.com they have a 30 day return policy so if you wanted to try it out for yourself and send it back if its not what you want.
CoolBradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 12:23   Link #15
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:

This comes a bit late, but until people clamor for support, it likely will never happen. MP4 is an open industry standard (defined as ISO MPEG-4 Part 14). AVI is a de-facto industry standard (owing to the sheer number of Windows installs). MKV is neither.

This is why I didn't bother getting a dedicated DVD player, opting to build an HTPC instead. You then have many more options, right down to which OS you're going to run.

However, don't let that stop you from picking something up. In my case, I'd consider picking up a PS3 if I were to get a dedicated piece of hardware that's not a normal computer.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 08:35   Link #16
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Neither Ogg (Vorbis) nor FLAC are industry standards, but they are pulling their own on lots of hardware now. Being an "industry standard" doesn't really have much to do with it. If the format is popular enough and the public show positive feedback toward it...it will one day be part of hardware somewhere. Thus something you can actually buy and use.

As popular as MKV is as a so called third party container, I think it has more then enough chance to one day get hardware support. It's not as though the devs are not trying to help move it along. And there is always CoreCodec, which is essentially the business front for any Matroska dealings. I think if you were to attempt to predict the future, it has a much better chance of making it then not. Just looking at current trends of other formats, it would be pretty ignorant to think otherwise.

Looking at DivX, it is certainly not an industry standard. It was a very cutup implementation of one...however far from obeying the specs of the standard (which is what everyone claims they are ghey for) in certain instances. It has tons of hardware support now simply from overpopular usage. Not because it was a standard, but simply because a large number of people were using it...likewise a large number of people would buy products with support for it. Same for hardware that plays Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, and Windows Media (it's not an "industry standard" by the same rules omigosh omigosh). In fact I have seen an increasing number of hardware devices which now play .SRT subs and even .SSA! Being an "industry standard" is nothing important. Hell there was a time when horrible fucking vendors even added OGM support to certain models if it contained Xvid at certain settings. How krayzie is that? Fucking OGM "pseudo-support" existed in hardware devices at one time :3. The most non-documented format you can get.

Popularity is really what determines if something will get hardware support. However if it is something which is popular but at the same time actually has an ordered set of documentation/specification of how the format works, that should just be an instant plus. Matroska is far from some random format some people just decided to make because they were bored. It was well planned and thought out beforehand. It still even has some vaporware goals to make good on, so it's not as though there is no room for growth. One day Matroska...one day!!!
/me shakes fist

/endrant :P
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 10:21   Link #17
Ligen
KoNata-ism

anyone use their ps3 to watch anime?? Heard tat the new firmware support DivX
Ligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 10:34   Link #18
Levon
Unregistered User

Quote:
I got the S42 a couple of years back, so they probably phased out the S42 by now with a newer model. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm willing to bet that all of the Panasonic S-line DVD players have this ability.
I bought the Panasonic S53 and it fixed my problem! Thanks. Its a great DVD player with lots of settings.
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 12:19   Link #19
pepper_begs

Philips DVP3962/37B Divx dvd player

Hi,

I'm reviving an old thread with a new question.

I recently bought a Philips DVP3962/37B Divx dvd player.

Some of my anime plays perfectly. Some (H264 and such) won't play at all and some will play the sound track but no video. Sometimes it will say "This resolution is not supported."

I need to convert some anime to a different format but I'm not sure about the next step.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any help.
pepper_begs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 17:35   Link #20
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

You may want to try Handbrake, which can convert most file format to another without messing around with the command line and it's open sourced: http://handbrake.fr/