AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2017-11-26, 12:47   Link #1101
Lucidrago

Probably like 5 or 6 generations. Sirzechs is like 600-700 years old.
Lucidrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-20, 21:40   Link #1102
zztop

Can DxD's fanservice be considered as more or less ecchi than some of the newer ecchi LNs out now? If it's less, should DxD ever try to emulate these newer novels in terms of ecchi escalation to keep up with the crowd?

I recall a lot of boobs, nudity and nude body contact for DxD, but it does seem rather tame compared to works like Masou Gakuen HxH, where
Spoiler for Masou Gakuen LN spoilers:
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-20, 21:50   Link #1103
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Can DxD's fanservice be considered as more or less ecchi than some of the newer ecchi LNs out now? If it's less, should DxD ever try to emulate these newer novels in terms of ecchi escalation to keep up with the crowd?

I recall a lot of boobs, nudity and nude body contact for DxD, but it does seem rather tame compared to works like Masou Gakuen HxH, where
Spoiler for Masou Gakuen LN spoilers:
DxD is extremely tame compared to most of the similar franchises like HxH and Shinmai Maou. Whereas those series are built from the outset to focus on the titilation of the viewer, it's practically a secondary element in the Light Novels, and even the more fanservicey anime primarily uses it for jokes.

However, that more tame approach makes it much more palatable to the larger audience who isn't there for just T & A, so actually emulating those other stories would likely damage the appeal of DxD in general. It'd honestly almost be better having less ecchi and saving fanservice purely for more intimate moments where it'd be natural.
Old 2018-03-20, 22:22   Link #1104
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
DxD is extremely tame compared to most of the similar franchises like HxH and Shinmai Maou. Whereas those series are built from the outset to focus on the titilation of the viewer, it's practically a secondary element in the Light Novels, and even the more fanservicey anime primarily uses it for jokes.

However, that more tame approach makes it much more palatable to the larger audience who isn't there for just T & A, so actually emulating those other stories would likely damage the appeal of DxD in general. It'd honestly almost be better having less ecchi and saving fanservice purely for more intimate moments where it'd be natural.
Thanks for the answer!

Another question - how popular is DxD with female readers, Japanese or otherwise?

I remember comments on Reddit saying they'd seen copies of DxD being sold in the BL section of "a bookstore"and that some of the male characters were attractive to females (they didn't mention if the bookstore/readers were Japanese or Western).

Granted DxD is aimed at guys, but nowadays there's all these works with crossover appeal (like sports manga aimed at males but read by females). Considering most male-targeted ecchi series tend to be read by men, it's an achievement if it could capture the female fandom as well. (Not to mention characters like Vali, Cao Cao etc could be seen as eye-pleasing to females.)
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-20, 23:49   Link #1105
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Thanks for the answer!

Another question - how popular is DxD with female readers, Japanese or otherwise?

I remember comments on Reddit saying they'd seen copies of DxD being sold in the BL section of "a bookstore"and that some of the male characters were attractive to females (they didn't mention if the bookstore/readers were Japanese or Western).

Granted DxD is aimed at guys, but nowadays there's all these works with crossover appeal (like sports manga aimed at males but read by females). Considering most male-targeted ecchi series tend to be read by men, it's an achievement if it could capture the female fandom as well. (Not to mention characters like Vali, Cao Cao etc could be seen as eye-pleasing to females.)
It was sold in the women's section of a bookstore at least once, but it's not really a common thing.

While the fan base likes to play it up, DxD does have a much larger female fan base than is typical for its type of series. Part of that is just it having a well written story, but thus large number of attractive male characters doesn't hurt either.
Old 2018-07-02, 00:59   Link #1106
bluestahli1

I got a question about the rating game's retirement system, if someone got decapitated, are they permanently dead or will they survive outside the rating game? implying that no other party was involved other than the retirement.
bluestahli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-02, 03:25   Link #1107
Superbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestahli1 View Post
I got a question about the rating game's retirement system, if someone got decapitated, are they permanently dead or will they survive outside the rating game? implying that no other party was involved other than the retirement.
Dead. Sairaorg specifically mentioned that his queen would have died if he hadn't forced her to retire before Issei's attack hit.
Superbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-09, 08:28   Link #1108
TGxKing

Hi, guys. I read volume EX and don`t learn one thing: Rezzo Roado from Invade Fanatics or from Eclipsed Seven Luminaries?
TGxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 12:56   Link #1109
Ultragunner

I have been out of the loop for quite a while, so I'm a bit loss here

what is the new "Shin High School DxD"? Is it a spin-off series, or just a new name for DxD similar to how "Naruto Shippuden" is to "Naruto"?
Old 2018-12-22, 13:07   Link #1110
Lex79

New name for the series in order to reset the volumes numbering.
Lex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 14:49   Link #1111
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post

what is the new "Shin High School DxD"? Is it a spin-off series, or just a new name for DxD similar to how "Naruto Shippuden" is to "Naruto"?
Ishi said DxD would end at 30 volumes or less. He reached 30 but didnt want to stop, so he made Shin instead.
Old 2018-12-22, 21:02   Link #1112
Lucidrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post

To prevent the original title from being too long. It's still the same DxD just a different name.

Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden is a bad example as that's just the anime changing its name, not the source material itself which is the manga which retains the same title throughout its entire run. Naruto: Shippuden is just to distinguish between the first half and second half of Naruto in the anime.
Old 2019-02-19, 22:53   Link #1113
S.Freedom

I'm curious, do we have any clue where Kuoh town is supposed to be located in japan? I mean how far away from Kyoto is it? Since we're going on a second visit, I'd think Kuoh is near by but...
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-26, 18:27   Link #1114
n0m@n
C-Z

Kuou town doesn't exist in RL. It's a made up town. Plotwise it's within Tokyo or nearby.
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-01, 16:40   Link #1115
Lucidrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0m@n View Post
Kuou town doesn't exist in RL. It's a made up town. Plotwise it's within Tokyo or nearby.
Not neccesarily. I doubt it's within Tokyo.

Just think of Kuoh Town like Karakura Town from Bleach.
Old 2019-03-01, 21:25   Link #1116
n0m@n
C-Z

It was mentioned in one of the volume that it took an hour or so from the closest station to Shinjuku station. Kuoh town may be outside Tokyo. But it could actually take 1 hour from a certain station in Tokyo to another station in Tokyo if you have to change lines. Hence, Tokyo or nearby just to be on the safe side for the answer.
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-02, 19:07   Link #1117
Lucidrago

How long did it take them to get from Kuoh Town to Kyoto in Volume 9 by train though?
Old 2019-03-22, 10:44   Link #1118
bluestahli1

Is Hades considered a Grim reaper in the DxD universe? Grim reaper as in the manifestation of Death itself.

iirc in the original mythos, Hades is just some dude that got tricked to rule the underworld by his douche of a brother that couldn't control his erection from any living thing he sees.
bluestahli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-27, 11:22   Link #1119
Ka-el

Quote:
Is Hades considered a Grim reaper in the DxD universe? Grim reaper as in the manifestation of Death itself.

iirc in the original mythos, Hades is just some dude that got tricked to rule the underworld by his douche of a brother that couldn't control his erection from any living thing he sees.
Hades is a God.
Anyway in the myths Hades was not tricked into ruling underworld, and he never complained about it and was not frustrated because of his job.
Ka-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-28, 16:08   Link #1120
Lucidrago

Quote:

Hades is the god of the Greek Underworld. Which is called the Netherworld in DxD. He's not a Grim Reaper.

And last time I checked, Hades, Zeus, and Poseidon drew lots to decide who would rule over which realm. Zeus got the sky, Poseidon got the sea, and Hades got the Underworld.

Tags
dxd