AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2014-11-14, 12:30   Link #41
ranchan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiak666 View Post
I actually like some of the supporting casts as well, especially the frog girl (whom I find kind of cute, in a different kind of way compared to Ochako )
I dunno, one look at Ochako-chama and I was sold.
She reminds me of Hinata minus the shyness.
And that name is about the cutest name an author's ever written into a manga
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 17:44   Link #42
kiak666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchan13 View Post
I dunno, one look at Ochako-chama and I was sold.
She reminds me of Hinata minus the shyness.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I like Ochako as well, I just think that both is cute in their own ways
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 01:03   Link #43
SamVision

Quote:
That was my line in the MangaHere tsukkomis.
SamVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 01:22   Link #44
marvelB

I've seen a lot of people make comparisons between this series and Naruto lately, but.... I just don't see it. I mean, I guess I can kinda see how Aizawa is a bit similar to Kakashi due to how laid back they are, but that's really about it. As me and some others said already, it has much more in common with OPM than anything (superhero-themed, untalented main character who had to train his butt off to gain his abilities, goofy character designs, etc.). I mean, I get that people will want to find a series to fill in Naruto's void now that it ended, but come on, guys!

Anyway.... all that being said, I just wanna mention that I also went and looked ahead at the rest of the raws (not the Chinese scans), up to the latest one (ch. 18). It's a real blast, too:

Spoiler for future chapters:
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 04:39   Link #45
kiak666

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I've seen a lot of people make comparisons between this series and Naruto lately, but.... I just don't see it. I mean, I guess I can kinda see how Aizawa is a bit similar to Kakashi due to how laid back they are, but that's really about it. As me and some others said already, it has much more in common with OPM than anything (superhero-themed, untalented main character who had to train his butt off to gain his abilities, goofy character designs, etc.). I mean, I get that people will want to find a series to fill in Naruto's void now that it ended, but come on, guys!

Anyway.... all that being said, I just wanna mention that I also went and looked ahead at the rest of the raws (not the Chinese scans), up to the latest one (ch. 18). It's a real blast, too:

Spoiler for Future chapters:

EDIT : For those of you who are reading English scans, Chapter 8 is out!!!

Last edited by kiak666; 2014-11-15 at 10:05.
Old 2014-11-15, 11:41   Link #46
com_gwp

Quote:
I don't see it either, and I feel like the community is forcing those comparisons. Hero Academia strikes out on a very different path from those 3 battle shounens, where the closest comparisons I would offer are series like Ratman or, as you said, OPM, where the series puts a reverent shounen twist on traditional cape comics and tokusatsu shows. If you want to limit it to jump, it adheres closer to Ansatsu than anything else. We'll get some similarities in characterizations (there are only so many archtypes they draw from) but the storytelling, setting and themes are all starkly different.

I just think its the combination of this being the hottest new Jump property since Soma, it being a very promising battle shounen (when was the last time we got one of those, huh?) and the fact that the recent start coincides timing-wise with Naruto's ending. From what I've seen, it got a lot of people looking at this like it's the successor to Naruto's place in the Big Three, when really, much of the meaning in that trinity was lost years ago.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2014-11-15 at 11:55.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 12:32   Link #47
marvelB

Translated chapter 8 is out, guys! So that midget kid was supposed to be grape-themed, not broccoli....

Quote:
Spoiler for Future chapters:

Yeah, I checked out chapter 19 (Chinese) a little while ago, myself:

Old 2014-11-15, 15:15   Link #48
DizzyVessalius

I get why people are saying it's like Naruto and all but my main concern is that's going to be what people want from it and when if it doesn't meet peoples stardards it'll get axed. This is way too good for that a know?
DizzyVessalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 15:19   Link #49
novakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthand View Post
ı think this series is more like naruto before shippuden even the teacher recembles kakashi .
the MC background in my opinion is similar to Rock Lee, both can't become what they dream to be because of how they are born, they are given an opportunity to achieve their dream through an alternative method by a role model, they are both physical fighters and their power are a double edge in some manner, and they are both hard working fnatics who both train really hard just to be on par with their peers.
I don't mind comparing the 2 series because it fun and make good conversations, also going through Naruto withdraw
novakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 15:31   Link #50
DizzyVessalius

Yeah comparing is cool. And I've seen some real funny ones on MangaHere's tsukkomis lol
DizzyVessalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 19:49   Link #51
kiak666

Quote:
Translated chapter 8 is out, guys! So that midget kid was supposed to be grape-themed, not broccoli....

Yeah, I checked out chapter 19 (Chinese) a little while ago, myself:

Spoiler for Future Chapters:

Last edited by kiak666; 2014-11-15 at 20:44.
Old 2014-11-15, 20:44   Link #52
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyVessalius View Post
I get why people are saying it's like Naruto and all but my main concern is that's going to be what people want from it and when if it doesn't meet peoples stardards it'll get axed. This is way too good for that a know?

In regards to the bold, considering that the series was already finding success BEFORE Naruto ended, I don't see it getting axed anytime soon. Heck, it even already surpassed the author's previous series in the number of chapters (Bulge had 16, currently this series is at 19). And I'm fairly confident that it'll surpass Oumagadoki Zoo (author's first series) in due time, as well.

Quote:

Oh, and one last thing, I found something neat from the author's twitter account:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-11-16, 00:43   Link #53
kiak666

Quote:
In regards to the bold, considering that the series was already finding success BEFORE Naruto ended, I don't see it getting axed anytime soon. Heck, it even already surpassed the author's previous series in the number of chapters (Bulge had 16, currently this series is at 19). And I'm fairly confident that it'll surpass Oumagadoki Zoo (author's first series) in due time, as well.

Oh, and one last thing, I found something neat from the author's twitter account:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Glad that I'm not the only one who found Tsuyu to be adorable, despite her frog like attributes

Old 2014-11-16, 01:04   Link #54
ranchan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamVision View Post
That was my line in the MangaHere tsukkomis.
Was it?
Never read it with Tsukommis on.
But if it was, then yeah, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly.
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-16, 01:36   Link #55
Sixth
Hu Tao

I don't know but I think that most of the SJ authors should learn from Naruto writer. Why would the writer only gave each hero one unique ability? Things may get stale after 100 chapters if the heroes only stuck at one theme.

So, is this series doing good? Will this series going to end up like Psyren?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-16, 03:18   Link #56
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It's ranking pretty well, managing to be in top 5 consistently thus far.

First volume sales also did better than Toriko/Souma's first volume, so it's off to a good start.

Potential's pretty strong.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 05:57   Link #57
Amiluhur
Gondok

For one thing i'm glad that Izuku got a half of his mask torn away. Hope he will discard it completely by the next chapter. I don't wanna see a hero with his face concealed.
Amiluhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 06:16   Link #58
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I knew frog girl was going to be a popular side character/pixiv favorite the moment she showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
I just think its the combination of this being the hottest new Jump property since Soma, it being a very promising battle shounen (when was the last time we got one of those, huh?) and the fact that the recent start coincides timing-wise with Naruto's ending. From what I've seen, it got a lot of people looking at this like it's the successor to Naruto's place in the Big Three, when really, much of the meaning in that trinity was lost years ago.
Yeah. Lots of forced shoehorning going on here and elsewhere.

It's not like I don't understand the sentiment given the timing of things, but please let the young hero stand on his own two feet, guys. The weight of All Might's legacy alone is heavy enough.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 11:06   Link #59
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
I don't know but I think that most of the SJ authors should learn from Naruto writer. Why would the writer only gave each hero one unique ability? Things may get stale after 100 chapters if the heroes only stuck at one theme.
More so than giving characters dozens of abilities and power ups, I'd rather see a single ability being explored and utilized in creative ways. Law of Ueki is a shining example of this in the shounen genre. "Less is more", something which Kishimoto never applied to Naruto.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 14:05   Link #60
arthand

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post

So, is this series doing good? Will this series going to end up like Psyren?
Didnt Naruto used rasengan till the end of series and when nuke lvl power ups came pretty much everyone discarded ninjutsu while weak ninjas got killed like flies with their useless kunais .
arthand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, coming of age, great supporting cast, shounen, superhero, unique art/plot