AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-04-13, 05:24   Link #41
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Spoiler for episode 2:
A mix of both. We still don't have a clear feel for it but with exoskeletons I think human arm strength matters little - technique determines whether the blows hit, and technology how hard they hit. So it's Yuri's skill that allowed him to get that blow in, and his exoskeleton's power that made it so devastating. Exoskeletons may also put limits on reaction times and such, and can be more or less comfortable (pretty sure Yuri's cyborg arms just fit him like his own limbs would) but technique is probably all human (unless limited amounts of decentralised control/processing can be handled by an internal AI to enhance reaction speed, like it happens to octopi's arms).

I also got a feeling that Yuri might not be much more free than Joe is. His scene with the owner lady was... disturbing. She almost seems to treat him as a slave, as if his body was an investment. I wonder if those arms are cyborg prosthetics (surely looks like it, he never takes them off) and if that's so, if he had lost his original arms already when he put them on, or if he had his arms cut in order to replace them, just so he can become a living showcase for the corporation's technology. If it's the latter... damn, that's harsh, and I have to wonder if he had a say or a chance at all with the procedure, or if he was desperate for some reason and had to accept it.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 13:14   Link #42
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The fight was pretty nice. Joe losing was fully expected, but he did pretty well all things considered.

I was glad Nanbu finally stopped being a dick and decided to trust Joe and gamble everything on him. He really came through for him this time. We'll see what he's truly worth as a coach soon enough.

Quote:
Spoiler for episode 2:
As everybody else have said, it's both. As proof, just look at how easily he evaded Joe's blows with his footwork alone at the beginning of the match. This is something that has nothing to do with technology.
Old 2018-04-13, 17:42   Link #43
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Okay, okay, I get it ;_; Pls no bully

Old 2018-04-13, 19:04   Link #44
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I also got a feeling that Yuri might not be much more free than Joe is. His scene with the owner lady was... disturbing. She almost seems to treat him as a slave, as if his body was an investment. I wonder if those arms are cyborg prosthetics (surely looks like it, he never takes them off) and if that's so, if he had lost his original arms already when he put them on, or if he had his arms cut in order to replace them, just so he can become a living showcase for the corporation's technology. If it's the latter... damn, that's harsh, and I have to wonder if he had a say or a chance at all with the procedure, or if he was desperate for some reason and had to accept it.
Well, he calls her "Owner", that's probably a good description of their relationship and his position at the company. Which is really twisted but makes sense: she has a lot riding on this tournament and on the Megalo Box brand as such, and he must fulfill her expectations of him in order to be worth the investment.

Also, my vote is on 1. yes those are prosthetics, 2. he had his real arms cut off because 3. he wanted to be the best that bad. At least this would be my ideal scenario, considering Joe's position and his conflict with Yuuri.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 19:18   Link #45
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Also, my vote is on 1. yes those are prosthetics, 2. he had his real arms cut off because 3. he wanted to be the best that bad. At least this would be my ideal scenario, considering Joe's position and his conflict with Yuuri.
Possible, but he also looks like he's probably had it with the corporate bullshit and just wants to throw down like a mofo. Makes sense, he probably lives for the challenge too.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 19:31   Link #46
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Well, he calls her "Owner", that's probably a good description of their relationship and his position at the company. Which is really twisted but makes sense: she has a lot riding on this tournament and on the Megalo Box brand as such, and he must fulfill her expectations of him in order to be worth the investment.

I think those are pretty advance biotech ones over his arms, but he used full time to get it, remember he blocked over his own ego...and those will be broke in the rematch..ditto Joe gear. That battle will be something
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 20:10   Link #47
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

This show just oozes style from the music to the animation. I am kinda annoyed how some scenes look deliberately blurry, but that's my only complaint so far.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-14, 01:09   Link #48
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

I think that the replacements are more involved than just his arms. Those bolts are on his chest wall, back, and neck. That implies that those areas aren't human flesh either. He's probably like Motoko from GitS. Most of his body is owned by his employer.
Old 2018-04-14, 04:10   Link #49
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

God damn, this show is just the best. When beat dropped at the moment he called himself Joe, I felt like I could just die happy right there. And I don't even know anything about Ashita no Joe.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-14, 04:36   Link #50
kuromitsu

Quote:
Possible, but he also looks like he's probably had it with the corporate bullshit and just wants to throw down like a mofo. Makes sense, he probably lives for the challenge too.
Oh sure, I think he definitely feels unsatisfied and frustrated, which is why he's so interested in Joe - he's probably the first real challenge and sense of excitement in Yuuri's life in a long time.
Old 2018-04-17, 03:19   Link #51
Applehell

Street Track #01 is banging.

Now I miss Samurai Champloo even more.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 14:06   Link #52
kuromitsu

The OP single was just released (digitally, anyway?) and damn damn damn, even if the actual show sucked, this song would make up for it. It oozes old-school cool. Like, I would use it as an insert song in a movie about bousouzoku or something.
Old 2018-04-19, 14:58   Link #53
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Finally a good victory for Modern Joe. So far, Modern Joe seems more likable than the Ashita Joe. Must be because of how earlier he got into boxing (in contrast to the one who got into prison before doing it). Also, because of the fact the writers only have 13 episodes. The kids are an obvious tributes to the Ashita kids but I understand we didn't have a CrossCounter because there was no place to execute and that the techonology would take advantage regardless.
Old 2018-04-19, 15:46   Link #54
Malicre

is he going to try and do the tournament with no tech? that would be a pretty big handicap lol.
Malicre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-19, 18:32   Link #55
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Finally a good victory for Modern Joe. So far, Modern Joe seems more likable than the Ashita Joe. Must be because of how earlier he got into boxing (in contrast to the one who got into prison before doing it). Also, because of the fact the writers only have 13 episodes. The kids are an obvious tributes to the Ashita kids but I understand we didn't have a CrossCounter because there was no place to execute and that the techonology would take advantage regardless.
Joe JD is more the noble aspect but sachiko did take some of the most jerky ones(in a way Joe Yabuki is divided a lot of characther here), yabuki was the first anti hero, he earned prision as he was a true street rat when JD Joe is one wanting that big fight. so different way of lives of the joes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicre View Post
is he going to try and do the tournament with no tech? that would be a pretty big handicap lol.
I think they might get one, remember the guy from the first chapter

The chapter was a swing but a hit, children in this kind anime are always corny but still was executed as good they could, did sachiko father was a megaloboxer or related to that? that explain his knowledge.
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-20, 12:25   Link #56
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Looks like the kid will be the one handling the gear as he seems extremely knowledgeable. Only problem is money to buy or build a new one, and the lack of time.

I thought it was pretty dark that these kids were stealing to buy themselves what was essentially drugs. You don't see that in many anime.
Old 2018-04-20, 19:12   Link #57
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Some of the scene transitions and shots felt a bit wonky but otherwise it was another solid episode. Looks like they solved the gear problem, though they'll need to repair it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I thought it was pretty dark that these kids were stealing to buy themselves what was essentially drugs. You don't see that in many anime.
... Oh my God, I didn't even see it that way. Can't unsee...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-21, 00:43   Link #58
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

God damn, it's like I died and went to Gainax Heaven.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-21, 12:31   Link #59
grecefar

well fighting and winning without gear the first match will get him to be notice with everyone in the ranking and have the fights he needs.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 20:15   Link #60
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Not that I'm forcing you to watch classic Joe but...

Tags
boxing, sports