AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2012-07-09, 14:25   Link #421
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
I've looked at justmanga.com and am wondering if I should give them a try, any opinions out there?
I haven't used them in 8 years. They were good back then, but I don't know about now. About to order manga from yesasia for the first time, since I found a $3 off coupon code. Will let everyone know how it turns out (or doesn't turn out).

EDIT: It's been exactly 1 month since I place my order and I still haven't received jack. Not ordering from them again.

EDIT2: Finally arrived today, almost 5 weeks later. Securely packaged with lots of bubble wrap to play with after waiting so long I'm not even excited any more. -__-

Last edited by AnimeFangirl; 2012-08-14 at 12:54.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-23, 10:12   Link #422
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micchi View Post
I second this. Note that the coupon only lasts to the end of the next month after the order is delivered (if points are assigned in June, you have till end of July), so if you combine preorders, that's normally fine if you order in bulk every 3 months like I do. I'm most impressed with their packaging: always perfect!
Honto is awesome. Started purchasing LNs from them a month ago, and now it's my go-to-site when it comes to buying LNs. They also have some nifty stuff to go along with your orders, plus they give you options for film coating. And the points are really nifty; no need to sign up to some other external service and whatnot. I usually have my stuff shipped via EMS, but I hear SAL isn't too bad as an option as well.
Old 2012-09-04, 14:06   Link #423
xza6atox

Mebundo
Lawson, 711, Circle K(almost in any convenience store or supermarket)
xza6atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 03:58   Link #424
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I'm in Australia for the holidays and I'm wondering if I can get Japanese-language manga from Melbourne since I didn't have time to finish lookin at a Kinokuniya in Sydney. Thanks.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 02:27   Link #425
Rias

Where is it good to buy Japanese LN/Manga these days? Needs shipping to Canada.

I was checking out Honto, but doesn't see like it lets you order without a Japanese address?

I used to buy from yesasia, they are indeed slow (takes like 4-5 weeks to arrive, and I swear they have like people bring it over and then ship it domestic or something), but at least shipping was free. However, the prices are high now (I havn't bought anything for about a year), and seems like their prices are still stuck when the yen was high. I'm not sure if a 650 yen book should cost me 11.50 USD, since it should only exchange to like 7 dollars.

I'm also thinking of reading LN on e-books - which tablet/ebook reader is the best for that? Does it support Japanese fonts?
Old 2013-02-25, 18:34   Link #426
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
I was checking out Honto, but doesn't see like it lets you order without a Japanese address?
I'm in Canada too and still ordering from Honto. When adding your address, you need to select the tab for foreign addresses. The mandatory fields will be different.
Old 2013-03-13, 13:08   Link #427
TimmyTheFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micchi View Post
I'm in Canada too and still ordering from Honto. When adding your address, you need to select the tab for foreign addresses. The mandatory fields will be different.
Hey, I entered a foreign address via my page, etc... all good. However when I go to check out I can't choose it or anything?? any idea?
TimmyTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 15:44   Link #428
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTheFox View Post
Hey, I entered a foreign address via my page, etc... all good. However when I go to check out I can't choose it or anything?? any idea?
Try checking out and entering your foreign address then. There should be a radio button for choosing a new address.
Old 2013-03-13, 16:33   Link #429
TimmyTheFox

EDIT: I figured it out, sorry, I had to at least make a japanese fake address, then it works(:

Last edited by TimmyTheFox; 2013-03-13 at 18:22.
Old 2013-03-19, 13:02   Link #430
TimmyTheFox

Hey guys, Just received my orders from yesaisa and honto, would like to comment on my experience becaue I know I spent weeks on and off trying to find somewhere to buy my manga. (shipping times, etc do and WILL vary. I live in a major city.)

honto - 7 books=4,100円ish. shipping(EMS)=4,000円, $2 international charge. TOTAL was almost $90. Ordered on Friday, received today(March 19). SIGNATURE was require. I did not know this, lucky it was signed for.

Yesasia - 5 books=$54 w/ free shipping(shipped air mail for me). $2 ish international charge as well, no biggie. total abut $56. Ordered on March 3, then they had to receive the books. Shipped on the 8th, received it yesterday(March 18). Came from hongkong.

NOTES:

-first, as you guys see above, I couldn't figure how to add a US address. You have to create a "japanese" address first. It can be literally anything like 111111, etc. Also make your you set the address you are going to use as primary. When I checked out it went ahead and skipped that part and went to the shipping option screen, and I didn't see my address until after I ordered lol. Although I did hit the easy checkout button, so maybe that's why it skipped the address part?:P

-If I bought 7 books from yesasia it would total about $76 w/ free shipping. faster shipping cost $20 more bucks, so if you can wait for your stuff then free shipping sounds nice. The $40 shipping sounds big from honto, but I was assured my books quick and in the end, it sorta equaled out with me spending only $10ish more(about 1,000円). Also if you live in a sorta remote area, hotno would probably be better if you plan to use EMS.

-few complaints(non from honto, as expected). Yesasia had their "tag" on every book. It's a tiny sticker that was on the bindings. Now every book had one that was easy to peal off EXCEPT one. Which was stuck on with duct tape, and that book has a paper dust cover. I'll probably sell that book and get a new one from honto, since honto did not do this.

-Also both places kept those "tags" that are put in the books. Yesasia left one out from one book though, honto had it in all of them. I mention this because I keep and use them as bookmarkers^_^

-Also, honto offers film covers for your books. I wish I knew this as the manga set I ordered has paper dust cover... welp.. I could always sell the whole set and re buy them if I see it becoming a problem.

So bottom line: honto was my favorite. EMS was great, shipping sounds high but in the end sorta equals out, no problems. Also yesasia had free shipping but took me about 2 weeks, total wait was about 3 weeks. they had their sticker on the books, so that was a downer. each book was around $10.

Anyways, 20 pages thread I will not read threw. i hope my post helps someone decided on their order. I also thank this site for helping me get my manga^_^

じゃな~

EDIT: I wrapped the dust cover of my book in plastic---- savedo(^▽^)oわーい
EDIT 2: excuse my bad English, if I spend so much time reading jap my english loses it's.. "english" hehe.

Last edited by TimmyTheFox; 2013-03-23 at 20:57.
Old 2013-03-20, 02:35   Link #431
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Honto is great that way. They also keep in the promotional materials and other free stuff that comes with your purchases (like free promotional bookmarks in the case of Famitsu Bunko) and such, so it's a real treat.
Old 2013-03-29, 22:22   Link #432
KuroiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
I'm also thinking of reading LN on e-books - which tablet/ebook reader is the best for that? Does it support Japanese fonts?
Official ebook apps seems to be region-locked.
KuroiHikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 23:32   Link #433
Pat123

Here is an online link for Kinokuniya in the US. Fantastic store for English and Japanese books.

http://www.kinokuniya.com/us/
Pat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 08:12   Link #434
Nerdydomo

Ok just found out about this thread cool cool thanks hopefully I can find items with free or low shipping
Nerdydomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 19:08   Link #435
JediNight
キズランダム

Honto is having a 10x points offer right now thru Oct 27th for all manga and light novels, so if you were thinking of putting in an order, now is the time to do it.

Very belated reply I guess to reading what Timmy said about ordering from Honto and Yesasia:

Yesasia works well if you're just getting a handful of things. Like 3-4 to just put you at the $25 free shipping offer. You may have to wait 3-4 weeks this way, but for small orders the price per volume is pretty good then.

Honto's sweet spot IMHO is 9 volumes. Because then the order weighs just under the weight limit for SAL Small parcel, so shipping is only 1900-2000yen. Arrives in 14-21 days to the US is my experience. If you're gonna pay EMS, you may as well just order domestically from Kinokuniya IMHO.

Depending on the titles and total number of books involved, Kinokuniya can also be good. The more popular titles from them tend to be very low markup for a US store. ($6.50-7.25 for stuff like Bleach or Naruto), although some of the more niche titles are inexplicably jacked up much higher. ($9.50-10.50 in some cases) Their base shipping cost is then also $8.00, so only ordering like 1 thing that way is really bad, but I think the shipping costs scale very well into larger orders. And if you order at least $100 from them, they provide free domestic shipping.

(I ordered the 3 latest issues of Evening magazine from them, for example, and still only paid $8 for shipping. They must have had all of them in stock domestically though, because I swear it wasn't more than 7 days)

And honestly, I think that's the best thing about them: I can put in special orders for magazines, and only have to pay domestic shipping. Otherwise Honto only ever carries the very newest issue of each magazine (and mags are heavy against your SAL weight), and places like Amazon Japan are just so costly on shipping you'd be nuts to order through them.

Kino has a membership card, but it costs like $20 and only cuts 10% from their prices. So you basically need to spend $200 with them just to break even on paying for the membership. Then considering the fact that they have about a 40% markup over MSRP, you still don't really save over going with Honto unless you hit that $100 order mark IMHO.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 08:05   Link #436
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

That's one thing I love about honto; their promotions. They also tend to give you stuff like coupons and such. I received a 20% off LN purchases this one time, and promptly went nuts with the purchase right away; I hope they give me more of that coupon in the near future!
Old 2013-10-29, 20:07   Link #437
Pat123

Thumbs up Great Post

I agree 100%.

Just one thing. I buy Japanese titles, but then download the scans. I print out the scans and write my translation notes on the printouts. That way 1) I am supporting the mangaka and 2) I'm learning Japanese. (Right now I'm working on Discommunication. Wish me luck XD)

Thanks again for the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Manga artists and writers work long hours to provide you with the series you enjoy reading. Because of the serial nature of manga, they have to produce output pretty much every week, while also juggling compilation of completed volumes, future planning, promo art, etc. Ever read on ANN about authors getting sick or taking breaks? This is why.

What you can do to support them:
Buying the Japanese compiled volumes (tankobon) is the best way for you to support their efforts and (hopefully) keep them serializing the comic. While buying a translated copy is better than merely pirating, it's merely a feel-good placebo. Foreign licenses happen months or over a year+ after those chapters were penned. Not only is the royalty they receive that far down the chain a pittance, but it's so long after the fact, it doesn't help keep your favorite manga author employed. The sales are also a drop in the bucket compared to the home market in Japan.
(e.g. Naruto in the US sells 50k per volume, in Japan it's close to 1mil)

Information you should have:
ISBN#
Manga title in Japanese

www.mangaupdates.com is a good place to copy/paste the official name from.
www.amazon.co.jp is a good place to then paste that name and find the ISBN# for your title near the bottom of the page. (Amazon refers to it as ISBN-10)

Two major Japanese book chains operating in the US are Sanseido and Kinokuniya. There are undoubtedly other smaller ones you could probably order from as well. Anyone living in Europe or elsewhere that knows of Japanese bookstores local to you feel free to post and I can add them to this thread.

http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenant/sanseido/eindex.php
http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/indexohb.cgi?AREA=03

My personal experience is with Sanseido. They can order pretty much any manga or light novel title you can get an ISBN# for, even ones they normally don't stock in the store. They usually arrive in around 2 weeks. You can either pick them up in person if you happen to live near one of their locations, or they can ship them to you cheaply via Fedex or such. The Sanseido online site doesn't have much, so just call them or possibly email them about ordering. Kinokuniya you can also probably call them for specific titles you can't find online.

Why ordering this way is great:
-- You don't pay for expensive SAL shipping. Only local shipping costs.
-- Even with the US dollar devalued against the yen in the past two years, volumes still only cost $8.50-9.50 each before shipping.
-- Directly support your author instead of a fraction of a fraction from foreign licensed translations. (If it's even available)
-- No worries about editing changes or censorship.

Personal disclosure:
My entire manga collection is original Japanese volumes that I all got for less than the English counterparts. (Used to be able to pick them for like $6.50-7 ea when the exchange rate was better) I keep the scanlations archived, but it's also a good learning experience if you are studying Japanese
Pat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 04:57   Link #438
VooDooZulu
13th level Googlemancer

So crunchy roll recently released their manga section, they don't have a wide variety yet though. Does anyone know if this is any good? I've always bought the manga i find enjoyable but revert to reading them online when i don't. How does Crunchy roll compare to scanlations by fans?
VooDooZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 16:31   Link #439
JediNight
キズランダム

They're just starting out, so it's still kinda rough. I've heard there are problems with typos, missing chapters, questionable typesetting fonts, images are saved as Jpeg Q75, etc. If you read them uncompressed, this would be worse, but if you were going with the NOEZ sites, then it's better.

One plus: They get their raws directly from Kodansha, so all the screentones look flawless. Unlike the merrae (sp?) effect that happens when scanning screentones.

PS: I've just updated my importing thread from a few pages back to bring it up to date:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...35#post3888535

Last edited by JediNight; 2013-11-27 at 16:55.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 12:49   Link #440
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Crunchyroll has most of the recent chapters of Yamada and the Seven Witches, much more than the latest ones released around the internets. I might consider switching to a manga membership or an all-access to read these.

They also have some pretty popular manga (up to date) like Shingeki, MGX, Fairy Tail, Space Bros, Kimi no Iru Machi, UQ, etc. Hopefully they'll get other series later.

Tags
buying, import, japanese language, manga