AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-16, 12:45   Link #181
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Watch the original Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series except for the last two episodes, skip ahead to End of Evangelion to finish off the story as EoE is basically the last two episodes that were adapted to film since Gainax ran out of budget to finish the series properly. Watch the remaining two episodes of the TV series afterwards (They make a lot more sense after EoE). Or you can just finish the TV series first, then watch EoE. Either choice is valid.

Rebuild of Evangelion is a completely new take on the story. The first film follows the first 5-6 episodes of the TV series pretty closely, but the 2nd film starts to diverge majorly. The third one is completely new material, and we're still watching for more Rebuild of Evangelion films.

In my opinion, Rebuild of Evangelion is crap, but you can evaluate that yourself if you want later. In any case, TV series first.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 12:22   Link #182
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Watch the original Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series except for the last two episodes, skip ahead to End of Evangelion to finish off the story as EoE is basically the last two episodes that were adapted to film since Gainax ran out of budget to finish the series properly. Watch the remaining two episodes of the TV series afterwards (They make a lot more sense after EoE). Or you can just finish the TV series first, then watch EoE. Either choice is valid.

Rebuild of Evangelion is a completely new take on the story. The first film follows the first 5-6 episodes of the TV series pretty closely, but the 2nd film starts to diverge majorly. The third one is completely new material, and we're still watching for more Rebuild of Evangelion films.

In my opinion, Rebuild of Evangelion is crap, but you can evaluate that yourself if you want later. In any case, TV series first.
I think that watching 25 and 26 last is a big mistake, because what you're doing is putting the artsy, not-so-exciting part directly after the actual ending, which is EoE. It's better to slog through 25 and 26, as they provide a moment of "calm before the storm" (this is legit, it exists in the greek drama formula), and also serve to gear the story up for Instrumentality mode, before seeing EoE bring it all to a close.

RoE is entertaining IMO but so far inferior to the original.

Last edited by LeoXiao; 2013-07-22 at 14:01.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 12:37   Link #183
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Just watch the original series completely and decide from there. Though feel free to take a deep breath for EoE; you'll need it.

I wouldn't recommend anything beyond the first Rebuild movie. If you want to do that, wait a few years. Or never at all.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 08:02   Link #184
brocko

Yea just watch it how it was made imo.

TV series > EoE > Rebuild

Unless you like being left hanging on a half done story, wait till the fourth rebuild movie is out before watching them.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 19:57   Link #185
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I think that watching 25 and 26 last is a big mistake, because what you're doing is putting the artsy, not-so-exciting part directly after the actual ending, which is EoE. It's better to slog through 25 and 26, as they provide a moment of "calm before the storm" (this is legit, it exists in the greek drama formula), and also serve to gear the story up for Instrumentality mode, before seeing EoE bring it all to a close.

RoE is entertaining IMO but so far inferior to the original.
I regret watching those last two episodes myself. One of the worst things I've ever seen in fiction. It made the whole NGE series go down a rank in my book.

EoE's first half was amazing....then the second half was....awful. I personally prefer RoE.

2.0 being one of the greatest things in anime history imo. If it wasn't for EoE's ending & NGE's ending I'd be singing a different song.

Last edited by The Butcher; 2013-07-23 at 20:13.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 20:16   Link #186
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
I regret watching those last two episodes myself. One of the worst things I've ever seen in fiction. It made the whole NGE series go down a rank in my book.

EoE first half was amazing....then the second half was....awful. I personally prefer RoE.

2.0 being one of the greatest things in anime history imo.
It depends on what you got out of episodes 1-24. To me, the whole thing was about the characters. The plot and the action existed solely (or nearly so) for the furthering of the character development. By around episode 18 or so, I couldn't care less about the Angels or whatever SEELE was planning; only the psychological troubles hitting everyone like a metro train had become the focus. So I really didn't mind what 25 and 26 did.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 19:22   Link #187
bastek66

They finally announced BD-box
Old 2014-12-02, 17:18   Link #188
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Thank the heavens for that. Now time to wait and see if anyone picks that up in the west.

Btw can someone enlighten me on what happened with the studio Khara move? Was Anno the owner of the rights to transition them over from Gainax? Did a production committee decide that the license should move with Anno? Anyone know?
Old 2018-11-27, 15:54   Link #189
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

News that Netflix has licensed the entire Evangelion opus created quite a tweetstorm today.

https://twitter.com/search?q=evangelion&src=typd
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-04, 06:49   Link #190
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

"Get on damn Netflix, Shinji" isn't quite a meme yet, buuuttt...

TBH I don't have NEtflix. This may finally be a reason to get it...
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-07, 13:00   Link #191
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
It's great that they're bringing the show to worldwide audiences. But as a property it's not like it had completely dropped off the face of the earth. You could still to this day buy new merchandise for the show in Japan.

I'm more interested in the release of NGE 4, which is still over a year away, unless it gets pushed back again.

Tags
mecha, psychological