AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-10-05, 01:28   Link #16061
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngde View Post
Are any of the manga OR novels canon w/ the anime (like the picture dramas and more serious audio dramas)?
All of the manga series are too different (either lacking characters, key events, no Knightmares and so on), so they can't really be considered as canon.

The novels are the closest to the actual show, I understand, but they both enhance and contradict it, which also applies to the Kallen-centric novel.

Unless the reader chooses to selectively apply bits and pieces (accepting the novels as canon only to the extent they don't contradict the series), I'd say they aren't really on the same level as the Picture Dramas or the season one Sound Drama tracks (which don't, or shouldn't at least, contradict anything in the first place).
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 01:30   Link #16062
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Are any of the manga OR novels canon w/ the anime (like the picture dramas and more serious audio dramas)?
None of the mangas are canon to the TV series. I haven't seen or heard enough of the light novels to know if any are canon.

Only things I have heard that are canon are the Picture Dramas. The audio dramas I think are a different story since on a few occasions they tend to play with events. Like the one of Shirley working up the courage to ask Lelouch to the concert. Though they both pretty much started and ended the same way.
There is also the R2 audio drama where all the girl in the cast, except TainZi, talk about the sports that Lelouch could beat Suzaku in.
So I guess it's safe to say that the Picture Dramas are canon, but the Audio Dramas are a mixed bag.

I think the audio drama "A Woman's Battle" could be considered canon, because Tamaki and C.C. kind of make a reference to the events in the episode 19 or 20 of the first season.
Tamaki made a comment about how 'Zero's mistress' has no right to be giving orders, or butting in on official business; and C.C. remarks how she's already told him he's wrong. Prior to that scene I don't believe he had accused her of being Zero's mistress in a scene on the show.

That's one Audio Drama I wish they would of made into a Picture Drama if just for some of the funny reactions we could of gotten of Kallen.

I did hear that these "bokurano hibi" short stories are canon, but I haven't confirmed with a reliable source.
http://rebeleleven.livejournal.com/tag/bokura+no+hibi
They have some nice ones of Kallen.
There is one of Kallen talking with Nunnally, Kallen fantasizing about Zero, Kallen being 'molested' by Milly, and one where Lelouch is purposely teasing Kallen.

Last edited by FoxxFireArt; 2008-10-05 at 01:41.
FoxxFireArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 01:31   Link #16063
lovecakecookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
All of the manga series are too different (either lacking characters, key events, no Knightmares and so on), so they can't really be considered as canon.

The novels are the closest to the actual show, I understand, but they both enhance and contradict it, which also applies to the Kallen-centric novel.

Unless the reader chooses to selectively apply bits and pieces (accepting the novels as canon only to the extent they don't contradict the series), I'd say they aren't really on the same level as the Picture Dramas or the season one Sound Drama tracks (which don't, or shouldn't at least, contradict anything in the first place).

Yup, this is what I heard from someone.. like the novels fill some gaps in too, from what I hear..
Old 2008-10-05, 01:31   Link #16064
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu

Sorry to ask this in here, but itīs been bugging me for a while... whatīs the difference between a light novel and a manga?
Skellington2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 01:34   Link #16065
Micante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington2612 View Post
Sorry to ask this in here, but itīs been bugging me for a while... whatīs the difference between a light novel and a manga?
Light novel is basically a novel with a few illustrations here and there. Basically, it's all text. Manga, on the other hand, is just a collection of pictures with captions in between. One is more visual and the other one is more textual, basically.
Micante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 01:37   Link #16066
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecakecookies View Post
Yup, this is what I heard from someone.. like the novels fill some gaps in too, from what I hear..
I hear the novels are hard to place. Some seem to fill in gaps or back stories, but at times they tend to completely contradict events in the show.
Quote:
Mangas are comics and Light novels are just texted books with little to no pictures.
Old 2008-10-05, 01:38   Link #16067
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micante View Post
Light novel is basically a novel with a few illustrations here and there. Basically, it's all text. Manga, on the other hand, is just a collection of pictures with captions in between. One is more visual and the other one is more textual, basically.
Oh ok, thank you... so I suppose translating a novel would be more difficult... damn
Old 2008-10-05, 01:42   Link #16068
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Oh ok, thank you... so I suppose translating a novel would be more difficult... damn
I did hear that these "bokurano hibi" short stories are canon, but I haven't confirmed with a reliable source.
There is one of Kallen talking with Nunnally, Kallen fantasizing about Zero, Kallen being 'molested' by Milly, and one where Lelouch is purposely teasing Kallen.
Old 2008-10-05, 02:08   Link #16069
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
Ohh Foxx Iīm gonna make you a statue... you as the new Emperor... thank you so much...
Old 2008-10-05, 02:15   Link #16070
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Ohh Foxx Iīm gonna make you a statue... you as the new Emperor... thank you so much...
Uh, thanks, but I decline. The whole 'empire' thing bothers me to no end.
Old 2008-10-05, 02:19   Link #16071
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu

Quote:
Uh, thanks, but I decline. The whole 'empire' thing bothers me to no end.
Ok then just the statue...
Anyway... Kallen little fantasies with Zero that made me
And Nina bitchy against Suzaku... just when I thought she wasnīt that biased...

mmm too bad they donīt have the bank assault... anyone go it??

Last edited by Skellington2612; 2008-10-05 at 02:49.
Old 2008-10-05, 06:49   Link #16072
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
I was under the impression that Kallen's dirty fantasies {lawl} about Zero were in a drama cd but they were originally on Bokura No hibi "segments"? <--they are supposed to be canon right? I mean they were on Newtype. {or am i wrong?}
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 07:09   Link #16073
blottyparchment

Quote:
Ok then just the statue...
Anyway... Kallen little fantasies with Zero that made me
And Nina bitchy against Suzaku... just when I thought she wasnīt that biased...

mmm too bad they donīt have the bank assault... anyone go it??
The bank robbery is actually a sound drama included in a newtype special. The title of the track is 'The Three Reasons'. I think you can still download them at the CG lj community.

That bank robbery was another fine example of Lelouch teasing Kallen. When the robbers threaten to hurt Kallen, Lelouch says he couldn't care less. It's not like she's his girlfriend or anything, he says nonchalantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyless View Post
I was under the impression that Kallen's dirty fantasies {lawl} about Zero were in a drama cd but they were originally on Bokura No hibi "segments"? <--they are supposed to be canon right? I mean they were on Newtype. {or am i wrong?}
Yeah, they were canon material published in newtype during S1's time. I wish that they continued with something similar for S2, something like Chronicles of the Black Knights. It would have been full of Tamaki's antics, C.C. X pizza, and C.C. x Kallen.

Or better yet, there should have been a written version of the Beautiful Record of the Rebellion, chronicling C.C. and Kallen's one year together before the beginning of R2. I read somewhere that Kallen was working in a fast food chain when C.C. found her. It would have been fun to know more about that.

Last edited by blottyparchment; 2008-10-05 at 08:30.
blottyparchment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 07:11   Link #16074
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blottyparchment View Post

Yeah, they were canon material published in newtype during S1's time. I wish that they continued with something similar for S2, something like Chronicles of the Black Knights. It would have been full of Tamaki's antics, C.C. X pizza, and C.C. x Kallen.
I see, such a shame they did not continue this on R2. The material was crack. XD

Thanks ~
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 07:13   Link #16075
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Lol, when you guys mentioned about the Nightmare of Nunally, I just remembered that my friend always buy Comptic (or CompAce, whichever it is as I always forgot the title), and IIRC the ones I've read today at his house contains no Kallen
linkinstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 08:27   Link #16076
blottyparchment

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to Kallen's story, light novel and manga.
The light novel seems to have some cute scene about Kallen and Lelouch meeting when they were kids. I know the novels can't be taken seriously, but small details like that you'd hope would be true to the story. Not like it effects the outcome of the plot. Sounds like picture drama material.
IIRC, Kallen's light novel Vermilion Trail only ran for a short period of time in The Sneaker and was later compiled in one volume. The light novel only covers eps 1-7 of the first season and dabbles a bit into Kallen's past. They never released another volume for S2. Those manga images scattered around here are actually covers for each chapter of Vermilion Trail.

And yeah, I wish they would expand more on Kallen in side materials. I'm disappointed that she appears so little in the recent sound episodes, more like she only appeared once!
Old 2008-10-05, 08:58   Link #16077
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan

Quote:
The bank robbery is actually a sound drama included in a newtype special. The title of the track is 'The Three Reasons'. I think you can still download them at the CG lj community.

That bank robbery was another fine example of Lelouch teasing Kallen. When the robbers threaten to hurt Kallen, Lelouch says he couldn't care less. It's not like she's his girlfriend or anything, he says nonchalantly.
I found it hilarious at the end when Kallen realized that Suzaku and Lelouch worked perfectly together to take the robbers down w/o actually having any idea what the other was planning. The fact that she doesn't realize she's dropped her sick girl act until it's pointed out to her is funny, too; she always seems to go out of character whenever Lelouch is around.
Old 2008-10-05, 09:13   Link #16078
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
It's his nature. He teases her naturally
linkinstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 09:45   Link #16079
blottyparchment

Quote:
I found it hilarious at the end when Kallen realized that Suzaku and Lelouch worked perfectly together to take the robbers down w/o actually having any idea what the other was planning. The fact that she doesn't realize she's dropped her sick girl act until it's pointed out to her is funny, too; she always seems to go out of character whenever Lelouch is around.
This is what I miss - canon crack material unlike the recent sound episodes that are breaking the 4th wall. You can have canon sound dramas that are still funny right? Beautiful Record of the Rebellion and Naked Lelouch were canon-ish fun. Geass Hundred Ghost Tales was meh for me. SE4 tracks both seem to be non-canon-ish crack that are fun still, yet I think I would have enjoyed more if we were given something that actually had to do with CG's story.
Old 2008-10-05, 12:06   Link #16080
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan

Quote:
This is what I miss - canon crack material unlike the recent sound episodes that are breaking the 4th wall. You can have canon sound dramas that are still funny right? Beautiful Record of the Rebellion and Naked Lelouch were canon-ish fun. Geass Hundred Ghost Tales was meh for me. SE4 tracks both seem to be non-canon-ish crack that are fun still, yet I think I would have enjoyed more if we were given something that actually had to do with CG's story.
Arguably my favorite moment in the first season drama CDs is when Ougi is taking care of the unconcious Villetta and doesn't know how to take her clothes off. (He's so innocent...or was at that point ). When Kallen calls, he asks her how she would have someone else take off her clothes, and she hangs up on him. Now that's funny.