Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2021-08-07, 09:20   Link #101
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
I was definitely laughing right there with Eua, that's for sure.
It feels like Eua's supposed to be us viewers at this point. Almost
Old 2021-08-09, 03:06   Link #102
Zolton

Ffs Rika is the one person who shouldn't buy the "Oyashiro-sama's punishment" BS. She knows Oyashiro-sama personally. Why does she just blindly believe the crap Satoko is feeding her.

I can't take this sequel seriously anymore. This isn't Higurashi, this is some D-tier fanfic.
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-09, 09:43   Link #103
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolton View Post
Ffs Rika is the one person who shouldn't buy the "Oyashiro-sama's punishment" BS. She knows Oyashiro-sama personally. Why does she just blindly believe the crap Satoko is feeding her.

I can't take this sequel seriously anymore. This isn't Higurashi, this is some D-tier fanfic.
The problem is that the Hanyu we see here isn't Hanyu, but just some split-off she left behind when she decided to not bother Rika anymore. So yeah, due to that, Rika could actually think that Hanyu might be sulking...

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-09, 19:25   Link #104
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:

She didn't blindly believe Satoko, if you refer to what was shown on the latest episode. We know that it's going to take quite a few more loops before she finally accepts that she must remain in Hinamizawa.

Rather, it baffles me how much Satoko exposed herself in that instance. Of course the idea that Satoko might be the one responsible for her predicament is probably unthinkable for the Rika of that moment, but as time passes the evidence against Satoko piles up and she will inevitably remember that conversation.

Did she really think that Rika wouldn't suspect anything, after eventually receiving proof that the solution to escape that predicament is exactly what she proposed at that time, even though she isn't supposed to know anything about time loops and Oyashiro-sama?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-09, 19:59   Link #105
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
She didn't blindly believe Satoko, if you refer to what was shown on the latest episode. We know that it's going to take quite a few more loops before she finally accepts that she must remain in Hinamizawa.

Rather, it baffles me how much Satoko exposed herself in that instance. Of course the idea that Satoko might be the one responsible for her predicament is probably unthinkable for the Rika of that moment, but as time passes the evidence against Satoko piles up and she will inevitably remember that conversation.

Did she really think that Rika wouldn't suspect anything, after eventually receiving proof that the solution to escape that predicament is exactly what she proposed at that time, even though she isn't supposed to know anything about time loops and Oyashiro-sama?
She didn't know Rika could remember things from previous loops now though. To Satoko's knowledge, Rika doesn't know what hit her and also won't remember Meta-World conversations.

What really stunned me is that they actually expect us to believe Satoko is now better with guns than Mion. Tbh, I'm not even sure Satoko could properly handle the recoil, given how small she is.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2021-08-10, 07:44   Link #106
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
She didn't know Rika could remember things from previous loops now though. To Satoko's knowledge, Rika doesn't know what hit her and also won't remember Meta-World conversations.
Of course she knows she can remember, what she's doing would be pointless otherwise. What she thinks she can't remember are the moments prior to her death, which is indeed the case for now.
Old 2021-08-10, 09:00   Link #107
Dark Wing

Quote:

You should pay closer attention to the dialog between Rika and Satoko at the beginning of the episode because both parties were choosing their words very carefully. Satoko was talking vaguely pushing Rika into the thought process she wanted her to have without revealing that she knows exactly why she’s having those nightmares and attributing it to Rika being disobedient, and Rika was talking very carefully to avoid any statements that could allude to her being a 100 year old looper, and knowing that these nightmares aren’t nightmares, but realities that shes lived through, but of course she can’t reveal that information. All while not Satoko is her enemy this time around.
Old 2021-08-12, 17:10   Link #108
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That scene with Satoko literally rolling on the floor laughing

The season finally threw us a bone by having Eua saying Satoko is now closer to a witch than a human. She sure is having a lot of fun watching Satoko pretending to be abused.
Old 2021-08-13, 00:45   Link #109
Zolton

So what exactly is going on with Satoko? The breakdown in the classroom seemed to be genuine. It's like she suddenly snapped out of being a witch and reverted to human for a moment. Are there two different personalities inside her? Why did the breakdown happen then and not at literally any different time?

And does a looper become a witch by choosing to treat ordinary humans as pieces on a board? That would explain why Rika was spared the same fate, for now at least. Had she been more active in trying to save herself from Takano, she could've turned into a witch, too.
Old 2021-08-13, 08:43   Link #110
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
So what exactly is going on with Satoko? The breakdown in the classroom seemed to be genuine. It's like she suddenly snapped out of being a witch and reverted to human for a moment. Are there two different personalities inside her? Why did the breakdown happen then and not at literally any different time?
When that scene in the question arc was first shown, some people complained that the voice actress of Satoko did a bad performance and sounded fake. It is now accepted that she did it on purpose because she knew Satoko was acting and Satoko is not a professional actress.

So no, there's no multiple personalities, Satoko was just pretending it, well enough to convince her friends, but not well enough to fool everyone.
At any rate Satoko didn't even have to imagine how to properly act in that situation, she just needed to remember what she did in past fragments.

Quote:
And does a looper become a witch by choosing to treat ordinary humans as pieces on a board? That would explain why Rika was spared the same fate, for now at least. Had she been more active in trying to save herself from Takano, she could've turned into a witch, too.
That's one characteristic that all "witches" seem to have, but I wouldn't say it's their defining trait.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 09:10   Link #111
Zolton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
When that scene in the question arc was first shown, some people complained that the voice actress of Satoko did a bad performance and sounded fake. It is now accepted that she did it on purpose because she knew Satoko was acting and Satoko is not a professional actress.

So no, there's no multiple personalities, Satoko was just pretending it, well enough to convince her friends, but not well enough to fool everyone.
At any rate Satoko didn't even have to imagine how to properly act in that situation, she just needed to remember what she did in past fragments.
Even professional actors can't vomit on command. At least not without sticking fingers down their throats.
Old 2021-08-13, 21:56   Link #112
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

How many more episodes must I endure for this series? Gosh. It feels like torture to even continue watching this.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 23:24   Link #113
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Even professional actors can't vomit on command. At least not without sticking fingers down their throats.
Maybe she spiked her bento with something. Or didn't swallow. Or just deliberately replayed past trauma in her mind, as she certainly has lived through a lot of vomit-inducing things. Part of her ability does seem to be able to "play back" her old self at times.

I have wondered also if the "oyashiro-mode eyes" (boy does that take me back) represents when witch-Satoko shines through her "playing piece", similar to Bernkastel speaking as Rika and not "in character", as it were. They are pretty unsubtle, so I have wondered if there's something deeper going on there than we are being lef to think (but highly doubt it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That scene with Satoko literally rolling on the floor laughing

The season finally threw us a bone by having Eua saying Satoko is now closer to a witch than a human. She sure is having a lot of fun watching Satoko pretending to be abused.
So now it's confirmed: the sheer callousness of Satoko's homicidal schemes are not a bug, but a feature. It seems largely much of the point, in fact.

The Witch of Certainty has truly made Hinamizawa her own gameboard to sacrifice pieces on at a whim, while we, with the Witch of Theatre-going look sado-masochistically upon these scenes for "entertainment to relieve us from our boredom."

I remember back when Umineko was going, as folks were starting to understand the gameboard theory better, I had drawn a comparison to the gameboard in Higurashi that helped remind a couple folks that after playing detective for so many rounds, the pieces in the game were nonetheless human lives being played with. I feel like that's what we are seeing here in reverse...what happens when people we like and identity with are used by a witch as part of an inhuman, twisted game for their own personal reasons.

I still am not particularly happy about how this series has played out, but I remain curious where it will ultimately lead, and if there might not be another level or surprise left nobody's anticipating. Probably not by now, but I will get more popcorn 🍿 and remain seated until after ther curtains close.

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-13, 23:30   Link #114
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
How many more episodes must I endure for this series? Gosh. It feels like torture to even continue watching this.
Such a hard life, being forced to watch a show you don't like. If only you could make another choice, like not watch it because it's so awful, but alas that is not possible.

Woe is you. If only such a thing like a back button existed on your internet browser. Or a close button on your browser.

Seriously dude, why are you watching this if it's so awful. Just drop it and move on. It's not a difficult decision to make. Heck you could just watch the thread for information and decide for yourself if you see something that could convince you to come back. If you hate it this much that you feel the need to inform strangers about it, then something is clearly wrong and you need to make a choice.

Yes I'm aware I'm being rude and for what it's worth I apologize, but I just find it so strange that people willingly do this to themselves and complain to anyone who will listen.
Old 2021-08-14, 00:08   Link #115
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Such a hard life, being forced to watch a show you don't like. If only you could make another choice, like not watch it because it's so awful, but alas that is not possible.

Woe is you. If only such a thing like a back button existed on your internet browser. Or a close button on your browser.

Seriously dude, why are you watching this if it's so awful. Just drop it and move on. It's not a difficult decision to make. Heck you could just watch the thread for information and decide for yourself if you see something that could convince you to come back. If you hate it this much that you feel the need to inform strangers about it, then something is clearly wrong and you need to make a choice.

Yes I'm aware I'm being rude and for what it's worth I apologize, but I just find it so strange that people willingly do this to themselves and complain to anyone who will listen.
Because I am one that finishes the series that I start. The shameful part was that I enjoyed all of the previous Higurashis (1st season, kai, rei, the ovas) and they were okay, but Gou, and Sotsu.....just bad.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 00:20   Link #116
The Green One

Fair enough. If that is your commitment I won't say anything more.
Old 2021-08-14, 01:09   Link #117
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
No chance the remaining episodes can really save Gou and Sotsu. But still there's a possible chance it could end up doing some interesting things. Or at the very least still a chance the consequences for the main antagonists could be extreme enough to be a little satisfying.

At least closing in on the end of all these flashbacks. Been a long road, but just about through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Because I am one that finishes the series that I start. The shameful part was that I enjoyed all of the previous Higurashis (1st season, kai, rei, the ovas) and they were okay, but Gou, and Sotsu.....just bad.
That's probably the part that makes it worse. Much easier to drop something that's just starting out. But this is coming after a lot of episodes and multiple seasons setting it up. Lot more difficult to drop that. All the more so when what came before it was downright fantastic. Either it works really well and you can enjoy the ride until the end. Or like with this one...you are left watching the disaster until the fires die off.
Old 2021-08-15, 18:58   Link #118
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post

I still am not particularly happy about how this series has played out, but I remain curious where it will ultimately lead, and if there might not be another level or surprise left nobody's anticipating. Probably not by now, but I will get more popcorn 🍿 and remain seated until after ther curtains close.
Hopefully, Beato crashing the party and humbling Satoko...

Old 2021-08-15, 21:58   Link #119
The Green One

Nah the end will be Rika finally snapping and killing looper Satoko, starting their cat and mouse game with each other in full and Bernkastel will be born. Which in turn will fulfill Satoko's desire in a way I think.
Old 2021-08-16, 04:53   Link #120
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Nah the end will be Rika finally snapping and killing looper Satoko, starting their cat and mouse game with each other in full and Bernkastel will be born. Which in turn will fulfill Satoko's desire in a way I think.
I hope that's it. It would at least make this entire series have some sort of a point. What I'm afraid of, though, is of the show deciding to go for a "happy" ending where Satoko is "saved" from her descent into madness. I hope I'm wrong.