Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-30, 17:07   Link #181
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Luffy protector of Merman Island? Wouldn't that be a stretch though? It seems to me like Luffy doesn't really have the influence that Whitebeard held. The Strawhats have a pretty small crew and his goal will take him far away from the island.

I don't know if fear of Strawhat would be enough to deter attackers of WG level.
Old 2010-10-30, 17:24   Link #182
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Luffy will probably be the one to show that not all humans/pirates are scum and racists. Consequently, he'll reconcile the rift that has existed amongst both humans and fishmen/merfolk. Directly challenging the world nobles and thus ending their tyranny would be a good way of bringing about this peace/co-existence.
Old 2010-10-30, 17:42   Link #183
james0246

^I hope this is what happens, because right now I'm expecting Luffy to just touch base with Jinbei, and then head off to the New World. (I really do not see any reason for Luffy to stay on Fishman Island (besides setting the Log Post), so here's hoping something interesting will happen...otherwise, here's hoping Oda just sails through and gets us to the next plot point sometime soon.)
Old 2010-10-30, 19:21   Link #184
Trax
Rock beats scissors

To be honest, I can't imagine that the Strawhats will have an uneventful visit at Fishman Island. They're likely to meet up with Jimbei, Hachi & Keimi, and there's bound to be some sort of trouble there since WB's protection was lifted. I wonder if a fishman might be interesting as a new member... They don't have one of those yet. It would also reinforce the fact that they don't look down on fishmen.

Also loved this chapter, mainly because of all the gags. Didn't really mind the cheesy bits personally.

Last edited by Trax; 2010-10-30 at 20:37.
Old 2010-10-31, 01:35   Link #185
SMASHERJACKSON

cant wait for next chapter, with the preview of the sort of beasts out there from the marineford arc we are going finally to the new world!
Old 2010-10-31, 12:47   Link #186
Sir-Nemesis

Ussop is very cool O.O

Sanji more traumatized XD

Nami super-sexi @.@
Old 2010-10-31, 13:35   Link #187
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMASHERJACKSON View Post
cant wait for next chapter, with the preview of the sort of beasts out there from the marineford arc we are going finally to the new world!
As long as we have plenty of Robin and Nami fanservice
Old 2010-11-01, 13:51   Link #188
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Luffy protector of Merman Island? Wouldn't that be a stretch though? It seems to me like Luffy doesn't really have the influence that Whitebeard held. The Strawhats have a pretty small crew and his goal will take him far away from the island.

I don't know if fear of Strawhat would be enough to deter attackers of WG level.

While it may be true that Luffy's level of infamy still isn't quite near the level of guys like his dear ol' dad or Whitebeard, I still think he's gained a big enough reputation for his name to be feared far and wide, nonetheless. I mean, the fact that his imposter managed to gain so many subordinates should be proof enough of how well-known he is now, right? And the fact that he's buddies with other big-name guys like Rayleigh, Jinbei and Iva isn't exactly anything to sneeze at, either.

As for his crew being small, I wouldn't put that against him, either. On the contrary, I'd say that the entire Straw-Hat crew being bounty heads would say a lot more about them than a crew full of nameless fodder pirates, anyhow. And besides, don't forget that we've seen other supernovas with relatively small crews, as well (Kidd, Law).....

And on the marine side of things...... y'know, I think I'm actually more interested in seeing who the new admiral may be rather than the new FA. I still think it would be pretty cool if somebody like Tsuru became an admiral, though a Buster Call VA (particularly Doberman or Onigumo) being promoted would be pretty awesome, too. And..... as odd as this may sound, I'm actually kinda interested in seeing Hina getting promoted to VA rank. See, I always kinda considered her to be one of the most badass female characters in the series, despite the fact that we've rarely saw her fight (in fact, I'd like her to become a VA so we CAN see her get a full onscreen fight for once), so I think she deserves to get a promotion along with ol' Smokey. And hey, let's hope Jango and Fullbody get promoted along with her, yeah?
Old 2010-11-01, 20:05   Link #189
Supersonic Strawhat

I reframe from making predictions because of how unpredicable Oda is but I doubt they'd just breeze on through to the New World despite having waited 2 years for it happen. The other 8 supernovas are pretty far ahead by now.
Old 2010-11-01, 20:15   Link #190
secretzfan
*Fansubber

I bet the supernovas bounties are way beyond Luffy and that is why I wish it was higher
Old 2010-11-01, 20:43   Link #191
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Luffy has already freed several nations, Drum Kingdom, Alabaster, Skypeia, saved dozens of islands and stuff, I don't see why saving Fishman Island will be too much for him.

The size of his crew doesn't matter, he can make everyone believe in him and grant them hope, that's his greatest asset, his Haoushoku Haki. You don't save nations just by a small group of people, you save nations when the nations put their faith in you.

I think Luffy is starting to do his father's work.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2010-11-01, 22:47   Link #192
raziel16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
To be honest, I can't imagine that the Strawhats will have an uneventful visit at Fishman Island. They're likely to meet up with Jimbei, Hachi & Keimi, and there's bound to be some sort of trouble there since WB's protection was lifted. I wonder if a fishman might be interesting as a new member... They don't have one of those yet. It would also reinforce the fact that they don't look down on fishmen.
I agree with you. With Oda, even a small unhabitted island can turn into an arc. Remember the Foxy pirates? In normal battle, it should only take 2 panels to finish them of, but the entire silly game took a lot of chapters.

New member is good. If it is a girl, we might see the entire tradition again:
1. she join the crew
2. she betray the crew and ran somewhere else
3. the crew went to pickup her, kick her enemies ass
4. she rejoin the crew
Old 2010-11-01, 23:40   Link #193
Supersonic Strawhat

I'd rather Luffy stay with his current crew of nine (or ten if you want to be all spiritual and factor in that they still technically consider Vivi a crew member).

After the seperation at Sabody and reunion 2-years-later it feels like this stance of crewmembers had a solidifed weight to it. It felt final to me. I wouldn't complain if a new member was added though. Oda would find a way to make me love it after all. But right now, the crew seems perfect.
Old 2010-11-01, 23:59   Link #194
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
Still hoping they add Hachi to the crew, something I mentioned during his last appearance...over 2 years ago...
Old 2010-11-02, 04:21   Link #195
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Spoilers are out. It looks like the Cori brothers were actually after the real Strawhat, just tagging along for the ride with the Fakehats for the chance to take down Luffy&co. They take advantage of the distraction provided by Rayleigh and manage catching up to the Sunny.

And Rayleigh has a little flashback. Apparently Luffy's hat originally belonged to Roger before it changed hands and ended up with Shanks.

Cover is Sanji making pies with squirrels.
Old 2010-11-02, 05:03   Link #196
raziel16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
They take advantage of the distraction provided by Rayleigh and manage catching up to the Sunny.

And Rayleigh has a little flashback. Apparently Luffy's hat originally belonged to Roger before it changed hands and ended up with Shanks.
Catching up? So it will be underwater battle?

The hat seems become more and more important as the series goes on. What next? Roger received the hat from Oda himself?
Old 2010-11-02, 07:54   Link #197
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Actually I would be really disappointed if the other Supernovas were still alive.
They were weaker than Luffy's crew 2 years ago, so if they survived the new world, then the whole training/timeskip would have been useless.
Indeed, it would be much better if they were shown as an example of what happens if you rush in too early. Law could still be well, as he seemed to understand that he needs to wait and see what happens (and possibly train or whatever) before going to the New World.

The others could be either defeated or disbanded (joining other, more powerful crews or forming alliances). Otherwise, 2 years of training would really seem useless if they could've just sailed and become stronger along the way, just like they did before.
Old 2010-11-02, 08:04   Link #198
andy

I expect some of the supernova to still be there .
I mean drake was rear admiral i sure he went to NW before.
Old 2010-11-02, 08:40   Link #199
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Actually I would be really disappointed if the other Supernovas were still alive.
They were weaker than Luffy's crew 2 years ago, so if they survived the new world, then the whole training/timeskip would have been useless.
I wouldn't say Drake X or Basil wee weaker
Old 2010-11-02, 09:43   Link #200
james0246

I guess Marvel is still unavailable, so I'll start the new thread momentarily....

edit: Thread has been started...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-11-02 at 10:05.
Closed Thread

Tags
weekly chapter discussion