AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-12-02, 11:42   Link #1
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Iris Zero

アイリス・ゼロ (Iris Zero)
Author(s): Hotaru Takana; Pro Shiki (author's website: http://www.firefly.pate.jp/iris/)
Genre: Urban Fantasy, School Life, modern time period

Synopsis
A new power has emerged in the world in all newborns in the form of an "Iris", which allows people's eyes to see special properties in the world. It can be something as simple as "what's for dinner tonight" or "is that person happy".

The main character, Toru Mizushima, is born without an Iris, which subjects him to relentless bullying in school. To deal with it, he adopts the motto of "low exposure", remaining as unnoticeable to everyone as possible. However, one day, Koyuki Sasamori, a popular girl in school, publicly "confesses" to him, putting him on the spot and shaking his peaceful lifestyle.

=============

There are currently two scanlated chapters out, but I read ahead up to chapter 9 in the RAWs. One would think that this is a light novel adaptation, but it's not. The writing is quite excellent, and character designs are above average.

This series does well to satisfy my liking for the recent trend of "normal" but perceptive main characters who see through everyone else's special powers. Definitely worth a shot!

Last edited by Claies; 2010-12-05 at 22:27.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 12:05   Link #2
Johnny
Working the bags...

First two chapter were pretty good and the main character is an actual likable male lead so far...

Koyuki seems like the air head type as her idea of a confession out was pretty funny...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 12:09   Link #3
tsunade666

Koyuki already brought 2 troubles to the MC. And the MC as usual can't ignore he heroine. Even though a typical development. It still hits good on the fans. Even if the MC tried to stay away as much from exposure but if he keeps talking to a girl which bring the whole center of attention to her. He would never had a quite time at school.
Old 2010-12-02, 12:20   Link #4
Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
First two chapter were pretty good and the main character is an actual likable male lead so far...

Koyuki seems like the air head type as her idea of a confession out was pretty funny...
I agree.
And I like how the two main characters interact with each other.
Quote:
Koyuki already brought 2 troubles to the MC. And the MC as usual can't ignore he heroine. Even though a typical development. It still hits good on the fans. Even if the MC tried to stay away as much from exposure but if he keeps talking to a girl which bring the whole center of attention to her. He would never had a quite time at school.
True. But this is what I love about this manga so far he says can't help her but in the end he helps her.
Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 12:52   Link #5
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
True. But this is what I love about this manga so far he says can't help her but in the end he helps her.
The end of ch1 shows why he can't help but help her out, such a cute little doggie

I really like this series, very nice, great art and so far a good cast.

Looking forward to the next chapter to see how the story with Yuki goes.

Oh and Koyuki is <3 she's so adorable!
Old 2010-12-02, 20:01   Link #6
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
There are currently two scanlated chapters out, but I read ahead up to chapter 9 in the RAWs. One would think that this is a light novel adaptation, but it's not. The writing is quite excellent, and character designs are above average.

This series does well to satisfy my liking for the recent trend of "normal" but perceptive main characters who see through everyone else's special powers. Definitely worth a shot!
Yeah, I've read the first two chapters as well, it's pretty good so far. I'm always a sucker for the type of main characters who is weaker compared to the others, yet by using his/her powers in a unique and creative way, combined with guile and quick-thinking to defeat much stronger adversary. In addition to that, the named characters so far has been pretty interesting as well, can't wait to read more of this. Also reminds me of Mx0, which is a good thing.

Just one question, when you say you read the RAW up to chapter 9, is that the latest chapter so far? Because that's quite few considering the manga has ran from 2009...Also, is the manga a weekly or monthly series?
Old 2010-12-03, 00:02   Link #7
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Because this popped up as a new thread in the manga section, I decided to give it a try... and my conclusion: GIMME CH 3 NAO!!!

having read only the first two chapters like most, I'm also in this because of the reason most have stated: a guy who seems "powerless" when compared to others, and in fact turns out to be very skilled with his "powerlessness"... it's just awesome. I hope that 3 will be out within the next week or two for this series

(and sadly, even if I did find the raws, I doubt I'd be able to understand at least 50~75% of it...)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 02:05   Link #8
outerelf

I've read the first couple of chapters, and I have to say that I feel kind of bad for the MC. He's trying to live his life as under the radar as possible, and she just plain destroy's it. (At least she has a reason for specifically seeking him out which is better then most others that just hand-wave)
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 02:46   Link #9
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Yeah, I've read the first two chapters as well, it's pretty good so far. I'm always a sucker for the type of main characters who is weaker compared to the others, yet by using his/her powers in a unique and creative way, combined with guile and quick-thinking to defeat much stronger adversary. In addition to that, the named characters so far has been pretty interesting as well, can't wait to read more of this. Also reminds me of Mx0, which is a good thing.

Just one question, when you say you read the RAW up to chapter 9, is that the latest chapter so far? Because that's quite few considering the manga has ran from 2009...Also, is the manga a weekly or monthly series?
I basically read the first two tankobon volumes. There are no magazine scans available, as Monthly Comic ALIVE isn't exactly on top of everyone's priorities.

The two volumes were released in October 2009 and April 2010, so they should have enough material for a third volume anytime now. I'm as excited for more of this as you are.

To be honest, I'm a little taken aback at least in this arc by how easily the MC overcame his cynicism, especially in chapter 2. I expected him to act like the shadow hero he was in chapter 1 for much, much longer. Having him forgive Yuki so quickly makes him a much better person, but it just seems like wasted potential to not have his demons (read: Yuki) confronted in length while he is still stubbornly dissociative. Not to mention almost unrealistically kind-hearted.

Don't let this stop you, though. What I understood from the untranslated chapters showed that the writing has been better since.
Old 2010-12-03, 09:56   Link #10
outerelf

I think the reason why he might've not held it against her, is because he's recognized the need to let bygones be bygones. Maybe.
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 19:33   Link #11
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
To be honest, I'm a little taken aback at least in this arc by how easily the MC overcame his cynicism, especially in chapter 2. I expected him to act like the shadow hero he was in chapter 1 for much, much longer. Having him forgive Yuki so quickly makes him a much better person, but it just seems like wasted potential to not have his demons (read: Yuki) confronted in length while he is still stubbornly dissociative. Not to mention almost unrealistically kind-hearted.
Aww I'm a tad disappointed to hear this cause I was also hoping there would be some more "drama"(can't seem to find the word to fit so drama will have to do, altho nothing exactly serious) between the 2.
I was hoping they might be able to somewhat become friendlier but not exactly friends even when he did that for her but he would still have some resentment towards Yuki.
And have Yuki be the one put forth the effort to make amends.

Well I won't be put off cause not like it's a bad thing.

BTW just a little question but is the thing with the flower pot(?) revealed any time soon?
Don't need details just a yes or no, I just want to know if it's revealed sooner rather than later.
That is if it's actually a flower pot attack or just some sorta unfortunate accident but I doubt that.

usually I would go look for the raw myself but I really don't wanna spoil myself on this series.
Old 2010-12-05, 13:09   Link #12
Xacual

Chapter 3 is out and I have to say I thought the teacher having an iris was possible when they mentioned when Irises started appearing in kids but I didn't really expect the way Toru would resolve it. It was pretty interesting that he called both of them out and then explained the situation.

I'm pretty impressed that he figured everything out just from what he knew and pieced together from the knowledge his friend had. He is really talented.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 13:24   Link #13
yongshun

The new chapter is pretty interesting chapter he tried to be a shadow manipulator for the teacher and the girl but once again Koyuki drags him into the spotlight.

I cant wait to see what happens next.

Head or Gut?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 16:06   Link #14
KrimzonStriker

Well he did manage to get by as having an iris that identified other Irises for awhile until the big reveal by Yuki back then. It would stand to reason that he actually does have a rather quick and insightful mind, which might be more useful then simply having an Iris in my opinion. As to his complex or feelings in regards to what Yuki did, I imagine its also a mixture of guilt on his part for revealing her Iris first, so it probably wasn't that hard to get over it for him. I'm not saying things will be peachy kine either, I rather hope not myself, and that they'll still need some time to work out all their misgivings. Probably my biggest gripe with chapter 3 though was that Yuki still hasn't apologized, to EITHER Toru or the teacher them over her reactions to them, even if I do know its a given that she regretted them it would have helped to hear them in words, otherwise it makes me think she's just a trapped little girl who can't move forward until somebody pushes her in that direction as it was in this situation <_<
Old 2010-12-05, 16:34   Link #15
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quite an interesting find...the main character amuses me to no end, his way of doing things is amazing. I am worried about Koyuki and Hijiri as characters though, they get a lot of exposition around Toru, but they have a plain support role in the story so far...that, and I wanna know what Hijiri sees, considering he's a sharp one too.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 16:56   Link #16
Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Quite an interesting find...the main character amuses me to no end, his way of doing things is amazing. I am worried about Koyuki and Hijiri as characters though, they get a lot of exposition around Toru, but they have a plain support role in the story so far...that, and I wanna know what Hijiri sees, considering he's a sharp one too.
But Koyuki is perfect paired with Toru and is their interaction that makes this manga even more special .
They have opposite character, yet they complement each other and I must say I just love the final image on page 21 of Chapter 3.
Old 2010-12-05, 21:48   Link #17
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
BTW just a little question but is the thing with the flower pot(?) revealed any time soon?
Don't need details just a yes or no, I just want to know if it's revealed sooner rather than later.
That is if it's actually a flower pot attack or just some sorta unfortunate accident but I doubt that.

usually I would go look for the raw myself but I really don't wanna spoil myself on this series.
Nope. They haven't explained it yet. I don't think from the way it was portrayed that it's an accident. What's even more confusing to me is that the flower pot was aimed at Koyuki and not Toru, who is the one everyone hates.

I can just feel the discomfort-turned-hate Toru has whenever Koyuki drags him into the spotlight. One of those days he's just going to snap.

Whoever edited the tags: This series isn't very seinen... more like shounen. Looking at the artwork, seinen would have very little moe in it, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Claies; 2010-12-05 at 21:58.
Old 2010-12-05, 22:39   Link #18
Xacual

It could have been aimed at Toru, just because it almost hit Koyuki doesn't mean it wasn't. I mean it was tossed off a roof after all.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 06:45   Link #19
Soji

^Honestly, I tried to review that part of the chapter and im sure flower pot was aimed at Koyuki and it is only thanks to Toru that she was not hit.
After all Koyuki is the idol of the school from what I understand I should not wonder if she is envied by some other person.
Old 2010-12-06, 06:55   Link #20
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I like this story.....
still can't predict the ending.... ^^
it's resembles with some anime (i forgot).
The artwork is very good too
can't wait for the next chapter
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, romance, seinen, shounen