AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-03-22, 01:42   Link #21
monster

Oh, heck yea. I much prefer The Hobbit than LotR.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 12:00   Link #22
Xagzan

PJ's LotR remains my favorite movie(s) of all time. And I was an LotR fan before the movies even came out for sure, before I even knew about them. I'm just not a super purist.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 12:08   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I read the LotR books at least 3-4 times before the movies came out, and I was pretty skeptical that a decent film adaptation could ever be made (I thought the best effort, actually, was Ralph Bakshi's animated one that ended in the middle for lack of money). In the end, I think PJ did about as well as anyone could do. There was stuff that drove me crazy (how could you leave out Tom Bombadil?) and stuff that midly annoyed me. But given the limits of the medium, I have a hard time believing you could do a better job bringing these books to film - especially the Director's Editions on the DVDs. Are the books better? Of course - but that's not a fair comparison.

As for "The Hobbit" in some ways it should theoretically be much easier to translate than LotR. You'll have to leave a lot less stuff out, for one. People who haven't read the books may not realize how different the tone is, and I hope PJ doesn't try to blur those differences too much to play to that audience. The Hobbit should be very different - it's a much lighter, funnier and more wistful story and if he keeps it that way, I think these films will be very successful.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 15:02   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Tolkien wrote the Hobbit intending it initially as a children's story (remember the onomatopoeia in it?) and but couldn't avoid dumping a lot of stuff in it as background along with some fairly adult complexity towards the end.

When my sons were young, I tried reading the Hobbit to them but it was a failure each time we tried.

Oddly they were entranced by LOTR and I ended up reading the entire thing aloud to them (twice, once for each son and often the older one would wander by and sit during bedtime story for #2 son).

Quote:
You can never fully make a direct book-to-movie film
Yes, I fully understand that, which is why I said the PJ LOTR is as good as it gets even with the quirks. I'll undoubtedly see the Hobbit -- its just more of a quirky book to me.
Old 2011-03-22, 16:13   Link #25
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Hehe.. my mother read The Hobbit to myself and my siblings when we were children... My younger brother once proclaimed "Mommy, I love Bilbo Baggins" though I don't know how much he actually understood LOL.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 17:59   Link #26
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

This is actually going to be another trilogy.With the Hobbit being the first movie then Peter Jackson will make a two part adaptation of The Silmarillion (the story of the first Age, when the first Dark Lord Mordor wage war against the ancient world.)The Silmarillion is the one I'm waiting for, since it has the greatest battles in the LOTR universe.
Old 2011-03-22, 18:03   Link #27
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Silmarillion bored me when I read it. But then it was the first Tolkien novel I read, so I have no context for that world. So it read to me like the Bible. If the Peter Jackson films had not come out, I probably would not have read Tolkien's other novels. (I was required to read the Silmarillion for a college course.)
Old 2011-03-22, 18:17   Link #28
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankel View Post
This is actually going to be another trilogy.With the Hobbit being the first movie then Peter Jackson will make a two part adaptation of The Silmarillion (the story of the first Age, when the first Dark Lord Mordor wage war against the ancient world.)The Silmarillion is the one I'm waiting for, since it has the greatest battles in the LOTR universe.
Um, I haven't heard this at all. The Hobbit's gonna be split into two movies last I checked, but that was it. No news about a Silmarillion adaptation. Besides, that's like trying to adapt the whole Bible in two feature length films. Can't be done, there are too many stories, many of which could take up an entire movie themselves.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 18:49   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Silmarillion bored me when I read it. But then it was the first Tolkien novel I read, so I have no context for that world. So it read to me like the Bible. If the Peter Jackson films had not come out, I probably would not have read Tolkien's other novels. (I was required to read the Silmarillion for a college course.)
The Silmarillion was written intentionally to read like a "bible" or sage of mythologies -- it never really was meant as more than background reference to document the mythos the people of LOTR grew up with.
Old 2011-03-22, 19:05   Link #30
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I like some of the stories now, but when I read it I had no context for any of it. I do hope the Hobbit comes out alright. I'm not sure how they will handle the singing...especially from the elves of Rivendel. Rivendel is such a different place emotion wise between the Hobbit and the Fellowship of the Ring.
Old 2011-03-22, 19:06   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Um, I haven't heard this at all. The Hobbit's gonna be split into two movies last I checked, but that was it. No news about a Silmarillion adaptation. Besides, that's like trying to adapt the whole Bible in two feature length films. Can't be done, there are too many stories, many of which could take up an entire movie themselves.
You are correct. Two-part Hobbit adaptation - there's no Silmarillion movie.
Old 2011-03-22, 21:09   Link #32
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You are correct. Two-part Hobbit adaptation - there's no Silmarillion movie.
Hm, two movies, huh? I wonder where the ending point will be for the first movie, then.
Old 2011-03-22, 21:23   Link #33
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Hm, two movies, huh? I wonder where the ending point will be for the first movie, then.
My guess would be when Bilbo and the dwarves enter the Forrest of Night or whatever it was called, I forgot.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 01:36   Link #34
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends. The second might cover what Gandalf is doing during the Hobbit and then the aftermath leading up to the Fellowship of the Ring.
Old 2011-04-14, 11:42   Link #35
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Video Diary 001:
Old 2011-04-14, 15:06   Link #36
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So it begins....
Old 2011-04-14, 15:11   Link #37
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Looks awesome. That behind the scenes look has really gotten me excited for this one. Great to see Ian McKellan in there; his portrayal of Gandalf is one of my favorite performances by any actor.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 16:05   Link #38
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sometimes you have to love New Zealand enthusiasm.
Old 2011-07-24, 12:11   Link #39
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

More video blog updates from Peter Jackson on the Hobbit.

End of Block One shooting and Location Hunting inNew Zealand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqk5c_i7LQU

Dwarves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47TXEi0No0
Old 2011-07-24, 12:16   Link #40
JC...
I am a Pie

I've only read The Fellowship of the Ring, but I remember listening to an audio adaption of The Hobbit, it was very good, each character had unique voices and there were sound effects. Looking forward to the movie.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie