AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

Old 2006-10-20, 10:49   Link #261
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I suspect that it will turn into "I don't want to marry this bastard" angst fest but then again I tend to be overly pessimistic about plot developments in series that I don't like that much from the start.
Well, if you mean later into the series, Definitely, if not how will Oland get her? No actually it may not. Whatever the case, at least it wasnt that theme from the start.. I cant stand anime girls who go wide-eyed and start wailling at the top of their voices the moment they hear the words "fiancee" and "arranged" in the same sentence. Looks like she has accepted it as a noble's duty.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 10:51   Link #262
Skane
Anime Snark

I'm willing to wager that her fiancee is that blonde bishie in the OP.
Old 2006-10-20, 10:58   Link #263
Lost

Same here, its quite probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaken
I wonder about why Oland needed to turn on the lantern to break through the blockade in Ep3? May be he was just using it as a flashlight this time.
I'm guessing that Pistol would have a very painful recoil.
Old 2006-10-20, 14:13   Link #264
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I enjoyed ep 3, it was a good Alice episode and really showed the gulf between not only her understanding of commoners but also what is expected of her as an hieress. Alice remains niave and doesn't realise when she's being a hypocrite, her smug father on the other hand has that self-righteous arrogance typical of gentry. It's clear and her snooty sisters think she's just going through a fad with the military, whereas Alice is in it for life. No doubt she will be forced to choose between the two or risk disinheritance.

There was a few plot holes and absurdities - like the fact she collapsed after less than a day on an empty stomach which proves she's never actually done any hard military work. How on earth did she and Stekkin get through basic military training is beyond me :P. Though the slight drop in animation didn't vex me at all. Most long series have peaks and troughs; you get used to it. As long as they keep the action tightly animated I'm happy.

No Mer-kun this week
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 14:17   Link #265
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Alice felt guilty when her father said about that "nobles always have a food to eat". I guess that's the other reason why she just went on foot instead of a ride all the way to the HQ. No surprise on when she passed out. I mean she only ate a little...then she ran..and then she work.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 15:59   Link #266
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

I just watched episode 3, not bad.

Alice is an interesting character, the most interesting one at this point.

I need a few more episodes to judge whether I'll keep watching but this is not bad for Gonzo.
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 16:48   Link #267
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Alice felt guilty when her father said about that "nobles always have a food to eat". I guess that's the other reason why she just went on foot instead of a ride all the way to the HQ. No surprise on when she passed out. I mean she only ate a little...then she ran..and then she work.
True, but still even your average infantry man in any army would be trained to go without food/water for extended periods, certainly more than a day. In the real world Alice wouldn't be phased by missing a couple of meals, assuming she'd been through rudementary military training. Even as a noble, she should undergo this kind of training, otherwise how would she know about maneouvres, tactics, survival, weapons etc...
Old 2006-10-20, 19:21   Link #268
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Well, if you mean later into the series, Definitely, if not how will Oland get her? No actually it may not. Whatever the case, at least it wasnt that theme from the start.. I cant stand anime girls who go wide-eyed and start wailling at the top of their voices the moment they hear the words "fiancee" and "arranged" in the same sentence. Looks like she has accepted it as a noble's duty.
Agreed Lost some very points. I also think that the standared blonde hair blue eyed beautiful guy from the OP might be her Finacee. If were right and that is him and hes a noble as well i think i predict a little of what might follow his introduction.

1. Very shallow, comes from a well known family achieved Military Rank because of his status but he really is a good warrior.

2.Does not agree with Alice's Idology about Commoners and Nobles learning to be equals.

3. Will think that Alice is just playing and will push her farther for marriage sooner to get her out of the army

4.Alice will reject the idea and reject the marriage but her father will pull some crap like your a noble you a role to play dont dishonor your family.

5.Alice will run away feeling like she has no one to turn to she will run into Oland and spill her guts. Oland will try to comfort her and they will hug. Enter Mr Fiancee guy and we have sparks.

6.Alice's Finacee will use his influnce to make Oland either leave the military or expose his past to Alice or so something to make life diffcult for him.

I think some of these are possible others im taking from other animes in the same genre. but i do know that things will get more intresting when her fiancee shows up or if and when she starts getting closer to Oland.
Old 2006-10-20, 20:03   Link #269
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Agreed Lost some very points. I also think that the standared blonde hair blue eyed beautiful guy from the OP might be her Finacee. If were right and that is him and hes a noble as well i think i predict a little of what might follow his introduction.

1. Very shallow, comes from a well known family achieved Military Rank because of his status but he really is a good warrior.

2.Does not agree with Alice's Idology about Commoners and Nobles learning to be equals.

3. Will think that Alice is just playing and will push her farther for marriage sooner to get her out of the army

4.Alice will reject the idea and reject the marriage but her father will pull some crap like your a noble you a role to play dont dishonor your family.

5.Alice will run away feeling like she has no one to turn to she will run into Oland and spill her guts. Oland will try to comfort her and they will hug. Enter Mr Fiancee guy and we have sparks.

6.Alice's Finacee will use his influnce to make Oland either leave the military or expose his past to Alice or so something to make life diffcult for him.

I think some of these are possible others im taking from other animes in the same genre. but i do know that things will get more intresting when her fiancee shows up or if and when she starts getting closer to Oland.
Thanks for ruining the anime......
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 21:09   Link #270
Skane
Anime Snark

He's just speculating.

On the flip side, we could go the other 'standard' route where Mr. Blonde Bishie(BB) turns out to be a traitor to the country and has been undermining it for the hated enemy, the Frost Empire. Alice tries to inform the other people, but nobody believes her except her own unit, Pumpkin Scissors. It is then up to Pumpkin Scissors to save the day. Throw in some Oland romance to help tide over her angst, and voila, we have a standard recipe.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-20, 22:13   Link #271
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
True, but still even your average infantry man in any army would be trained to go without food/water for extended periods, certainly more than a day. In the real world Alice wouldn't be phased by missing a couple of meals, assuming she'd been through rudementary military training. Even as a noble, she should undergo this kind of training, otherwise how would she know about maneouvres, tactics, survival, weapons etc...
Actually, what her father said seems to imply that nobles can choose their positions in the imperial military, so I wouldn't be suprised if she didnt go thru any real training at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
It's clear and her snooty sisters think she's just going through a fad with the military, whereas Alice is in it for life. No doubt she will be forced to choose between the two or risk disinheritance.
Hmm, I very much like the idea of Alice having to choose between nobility and her unit, S.S. III. It would really be the ultimate choice for her; as she views the two as one: because she's noble, she must serve war relief. But what if she gets disinherited, and is no longer a noble? I hope it goes towards that conflict.
Old 2006-10-20, 22:59   Link #272
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
You've got a good point. Like Lost said, she proboably got to choose her position because she is a noble. To me, she seems like the type to choose the position that is closest to the war-torn people she would like to help.

Oh, and another thing I would like to mention, I think the lamp held by Oland is kinda' corny. I understand the emphasis of the lamp and why he uses it but I just think it is sort of funny that when he is about to go in "all out" mode, he turns on a lamp.

Oh well, Oland is still a great character though; more unique than the other lead roles I've been seeing lately.
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 05:04   Link #273
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wosho128 View Post
Oh, and another thing I would like to mention, I think the lamp held by Oland is kinda' corny. I understand the emphasis of the lamp and why he uses it but I just think it is sort of funny that when he is about to go in "all out" mode, he turns on a lamp.

Oh well, Oland is still a great character though; more unique than the other lead roles I've been seeing lately.
lol corny cause he needs to let out "(blue) steam" when he goes anti tank mode
well its his uniqueness that makes him so loveable and hes a big softie that you wanna hug ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 06:10   Link #274
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post

Interesting thoughts, I think 5 and 6 are a little too predictable though. I think the fiance will be either part of the problem (i.e. arrogant noble) or he'll be plain evil and manipulative of Alice and be the final boss.

Oh and I predict they'll be a Ball. All nobles in anime, bar none, have a Ball at some point. A big elaborate affair with people wearing masks and Mozart playing in the background etc. Wherein a guilt-ridden Alice ("do commoners eat Vol-au-vents, Stekkin?") will look pretty but further realise the absurdity of nobility as the poor folk struggle in the aftermath of the war...
Old 2006-10-21, 08:15   Link #275
mtarzaim

A little address for some artworks :

http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/sc...mpkin-Scissors

The Ball situation seems to be on its way ! ^^

mtarzaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 09:53   Link #276
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
still iffy about this series, i wasn't happy to see orland not wield any PLAUSIBLE Anti-Tank weaponary.
Not one recoilless rifle, Man-Portable Rocket/Missile,
Hell, even a bolt action anti-material rifle, would of been satisfactory.

But a HANDGUN?! For haruhi sakes.....that's rediculous!

Even at pointblank range, for a handgun of sufficient calibre to penetrate the typical thickness 10-20mm of steel on the top armour of a WWII era tank requires alot of power, so much it'll break someones wrist, even with deplete uranium rounds (which it isn't because the round didn't ignite when it punch though the top of the tank, it went straight though, like that of a 20mm tungsten core) it'll be like a hot knife cutting though butter, but it's no good if you don't drive it in far enough, it might even bounce off, if not fired at a right angle to the armour.

Bloody hell, i'll be satisfied if he used anti-tank mines to throw on it or something, anything then a stupid handgun.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-10-21 at 10:09.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 10:31   Link #277
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
still iffy about this series, i wasn't happy to see orland not wield any PLAUSIBLE Anti-Tank weaponary.
Not one recoilless rifle, Man-Portable Rocket/Missile,
Hell, even a bolt action anti-material rifle, would of been satisfactory.

But a HANDGUN?! For haruhi sakes.....that's rediculous!

Even at pointblank range, for a handgun of sufficient calibre to penetrate the typical thickness 10-20mm of steel on the top armour of a WWII era tank requires alot of power, so much it'll break someones wrist, even with deplete uranium rounds (which it isn't because the round didn't ignite when it punch though the top of the tank, it went straight though, like that of a 20mm tungsten core) it'll be like a hot knife cutting though butter, but it's no good if you don't drive it in far enough, it might even bounce off, if not fired at a right angle to the armour.

Bloody hell, i'll be satisfied if he used anti-tank mines to throw on it or something, anything then a stupid handgun.
That's why the get close to their targets like a mindless zombie so they can fire close range with the handgun. Plus, the bullets seems to pierce through solid steel. My guess, those are custom made and the same also for the gun. I mean, if you look at episode 2, that guy's head was blown together with the chair. That's how powerful that little gun of his. Remember the quote: "They'll continue to march forward" and "They will force their way through".
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 10:53   Link #278
Skane
Anime Snark

Oland's weaponary seems to be a handheld railgun.
Old 2006-10-21, 11:56   Link #279
Lackadaisical

Alice does actually have combat skills with her sword though. Whether in the anime or manga, she has only been shown using her sword rather than a gun. Because of this it is possible she has only had training from her father and did in fact avoid military training.

Yet, given her personality, I can't see her skipping out on military training just because she was allowed too. She is capable with that sword of hers which means she has a certain amount of athletic ability. It is more likely she collapsed from not eating because the plot needed her to collapse rather than poor conditioning. If an in-anime reason is needed it is more reasonable to assume the train ride took more than one day and she avoided food every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex

Oh and I predict they'll be a Ball. All nobles in anime, bar none, have a Ball at some point. A big elaborate affair with people wearing masks and Mozart playing in the background etc. Wherein a guilt-ridden Alice ("do commoners eat Vol-au-vents, Stekkin?") will look pretty but further realise the absurdity of nobility as the poor folk struggle in the aftermath of the war...
Spoiler for Manga; Relatively Minor:

On the whole the pacing of the show is interesting. The first volume has been covered in the first three episodes and but the plot of the manga hasn't advanced all that far. The manga is roughly as far along now as FMA was when it was made into an anime. This will force the anime to abandon the manga in the next few episodes. In all probability this will occur around episode ten It was around 16 in FMA but FMA had 52 episodes while Pumpkin has 26 I believe.

Most animes that abandon the manga turn out rather bad. As there is, due to slower plot development, even less to work with in Pumpkin Scissors than in FMA alongside the lesser number of episodes, I'm curious as to whether Pumpkin Scissors will be any good overall or not.
Lackadaisical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 12:17   Link #280
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Oland's weaponary seems to be a handheld railgun.
Considering the age in which PS is set I think it's unlikely to be a railgun. Maybe a Gauss gun which is 19th century technology and a fore-runner of railguns.

Orland's weapon is a breech loaded single shot handgun and the cartridges look like artillery rounds, but it would need more than just a percussion behind it to penetrate tank armour. As Onizuka-GTO pointed out, it would also shatter Orland's wrist and probably dislocate his shoulder with the forces produced. But we can safely assume realism is not one of PS's goals here. If Orland can survive tank rounds, he'll certainly hold up to the recoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackadaisical
Most animes that abandon the manga turn out rather bad. As there is, due to slower plot development, even less to work with in Pumpkin Scissors than in FMA alongside the lesser number of episodes, I'm curious as to whether Pumpkin Scissors will be any good overall or not.
Atsuhiro Tomioka, who is doing the series composition for PS, also did the script for Chrno Crusade, which as I recall, was completed before the manga finished like FMA. I think the general consensus is that Chrno Crusade was a good series, even though many did not like the bittersweet ending. I enjoyed Chrno Crusade a lot, it's a solid series and I see many similarities with Pumpkin Scissors. Which should give us some hope for a good resolution.