AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2013-09-11, 20:46   Link #1061
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Yurin had maybe 15 minutes of screentime total. Some circles raged long until the end of the show that she was a better character than Emily. It was debatable but my point is that there was a much greater interest than normal in a character with very little screentime. Misaki's about the same--very little screen time in only one episode, instantly popular from the get-go with lots of people, and you can bet your ass not all of them had read the novels or the manga to know how big a role she'll have. And alternatively they'll get hyped about her from people who ARE aware of the impact Misaki will have.
Not at all, this time Misaki is a character that has been hinted since the begin of the novels.

Quote:
But all that still happened in the time frame of the episode's airing and a couple other factors. It's significant but it remains to be seen if her popularity will be as long-lasting as the much-more-present Mikoto.
The current manga arc has its focus on Misaki.

Quote:
As for Silica, if we're going by fanart as a measurement of popularity, she gets way more fanart than, say, Lizbeth.
Let's be honest, they aren't characters with potential by the simple fact the author didn't try using them in that light , they're not protagonists nor main characters, a better comparison would have been Suguha.

Anyway, all is up to the author, similar cases are Kaori and Itsuwa that had potential as characters to grow popular but the author's decisions for the following novels switched the focus to other characters... a dissapointment imo.

Even the title character (Index) started like this but the author put her away from focus, locked her in the MC house and became a recurrent character, for worse in the NT series she barely appears (except for the last released volume but she is more a support than a protagonist there).

Bad decisions or bad writing caused by a third party(the editor )? I can't tell myself, but regarding only that, Kawahara Reki kicks Kamachi's ass very hard and I'm not even a SAO or Mahouka fan.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2013-09-11 at 22:09.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 20:49   Link #1062
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yes, I'm aware there's been hints very early on, and yes I'm aware she's a major player in the current Railgun manga arc. If you note my earlier post, I pointed that out as one of the factors as to why she had such a sudden growth in popularity.

I'm not discounting any of it. I'm just saying it's too early to tell if she'll have as widespread and as deep a popularity as Mikoto enjoys, simply because Mikoto's had that much longer to gain said fanbase while Misaki hasn't.
Old 2013-09-11, 20:54   Link #1063
Miraluka
Banned

And that's why I usually say if th other characters had a constant participation in the series they would be as popular, just look at Accelerator he is on top 3 characters popularity and number of fanarts despite being a male character.
Old 2013-09-11, 21:04   Link #1064
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
And that's why I usually say if th other characters had a constant participation in the series they would be as popular, just look at Accelerator he is on top 3 characters popularity and number of fanarts despite being a male character.
As far as animation is concerned, Accelerator appeared early on with his own major appealing factors, and remained involved in the plot ever since--he had the Sisters Arc, then after Angel Fall he was involved in the Three Stories arc, then again involved in the second season. The same with Mikoto. She's had consistent exposure to the fandom in pretty much every media for the franchise.

Compare that to Misaki, who appeared once in the entirety of Railgun S and won't be seen again until they make a third season of Railgun. As far as the novels go, her involvement is recent. As far as the manga's concerned, her involvement is relatively recent. I'm sure her popularity is guaranteed if she continues being involved in the story from now on, like Mikoto and Accelerator.

Otherwise, my guess is that the popularity will wane a month or two after Railgun S comes to a close and come back if/when a third season is announced.
Old 2013-09-11, 21:11   Link #1065
Miraluka
Banned

Uh, that's what I said =__=. Accelerator is popular because he wasn't left on the background after his first relevant participation, unlike... the others mentioned.

All is left to the author at the end.
Old 2013-09-11, 21:45   Link #1066
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldzero View Post
its funny how not so long ago misakixmikoto was pretty popular but ever since there has been hints(and now a fact) that misaki knew kamijou from the past, this pairing "toumaxmisak"i has already grown very popular and it was the most made doujini pairing this year of raildex. fans have been incredibly excited with this new possible pairing and hope misaki character might be used to give us more information of kamijou past. i can see why misaki character grown popular very fast and it satisfies me how people love her.
Touma x Mikoto x Misaka is the second most made one after that. So even though Misaki has the newness factor and recent hints towards her having some kind of past with Touma no one can say that Mikoto has actually fallen as she's still getting work for her, with Touma, and now with Touma and Misaki.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 22:17   Link #1067
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Touma x Mikoto x Misaka is the second most made one after that. So even though Misaki has the newness factor and recent hints towards her having some kind of past with Touma no one can say that Mikoto has actually fallen as she's still getting work for her, with Touma, and now with Touma and Misaki.
of course toumaxmisaka is still the most popular pair but what im getting at is misakixtouma has rapidly grown a fanbase thanks to the hints so far in ch 62 of railgun and NT7. i see toumaxmisaka pair growing fast as usual.
Goldzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 22:24   Link #1068
rladls716

What everyone characters calling Mikoto:

1. Biri Biri
2. Onee sama
3. Misaka san
4. Railgun
5. Misaka Mikoto (full name)
6. Piri Piri (Note: Misaki calls her Piri Piri when she meets Touma face to face at Daiseisai arc).

There should be more of her nickname.

Even now every character and including most of you users in this forum except Febri still does not call Mikoto just by her first name. What does this mean?
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 00:52   Link #1069
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
She's very important in the current Railgun manga arc. She's also been in Index a couple of times lately and has been hilarious in all of her scenes. This kind of popularity would not be possible if she had just been in one episode for a minute.
Didn't a lot of the doujins about Misaki came out before her newfound importance in Railgun manga? IIRC there was a few even before the revelation of Exterior.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 07:58   Link #1070
Draco Spirit

It be interesting if Misaki does keep important to Raildex overall story, but right now it be my best guest that she won't.

Mikoto interesting because she tends to keep semi important in the Index novels, but isn't typically a major focus character. Of course in Railgun she's always important!

Also something I think worth keeping in mind. Look at Index in the Old Testament, she really important at the start, get a bit more backseat in the middle, and becomes really important in the end. Raildex changes focus a lot, characters can become important, background and then important again.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 08:32   Link #1071
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
It be interesting if Misaki does keep important to Raildex overall story, but right now it be my best guest that she won't.
It could be otherwise, though. You wouldn't be surprised if she eventually plays an important role in the future. But still, things can change and anything is plausible until it's proven. So I wouldn't assume she won't.

PS: I personally think Misaki x Mikoto is an ideal yuri pairing.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 08:49   Link #1072
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
It could be otherwise, though. You wouldn't be surprised if she eventually plays an important role in the future. But still, things can change and anything is plausible until it's proven. So I wouldn't assume she won't.

PS: I personally think Misaki x Mikoto is an ideal yuri pairing.
You got reason to be optimistic I guess because it not be the first time in Raildex that a character been introduced late and become a major player in the overall plot if she did! (A certain redshirt level 0 springs to mind)

P.S. I rather see Kuroko get some character development subdues her Onee-sama myself, but each to there own.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 13:24   Link #1073
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
You got reason to be optimistic I guess because it not be the first time in Raildex that a character been introduced late and become a major player in the overall plot if she did! (A certain redshirt level 0 springs to mind)

P.S. I rather see Kuroko get some character development subdues her Onee-sama myself, but each to there own.
get her, kongou, and saten on the dark side,,,,,

put in touma and accelerator
Old 2013-09-12, 13:42   Link #1074
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Didn't a lot of the doujins about Misaki came out before her newfound importance in Railgun manga? IIRC there was a few even before the revelation of Exterior.
Yeah but she had still had some parts. We still thought she was going to be the villain at the time but we had had more than the one scene to flesh out her character.
Old 2013-09-12, 18:50   Link #1075
Shinhwa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Not really... They were very dirty works that I didn't even look inside...

After Misaki came out in the anime, then romantic/funny doujinshi started to appear.
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 22:33   Link #1076
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
Not really... They were very dirty works that I didn't even look inside...

After Misaki came out in the anime, then romantic/funny doujinshi started to appear.
Not gonna lie, they really got the Mikoto and Misaki bickering down very well.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 00:17   Link #1077
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

So would you guys consider Mikoto's true rival to be Misaki afterall? In more aspects than one as well?...
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 00:46   Link #1078
liro
Super Driver

She's more like a threesome partner. The true rival of mikoto is definitely Index, because it's hard to separate her from Touma.
Old 2013-09-13, 01:11   Link #1079
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The way I see it, Misaki is Mikoto's rival in school, Mugino is Mikoto's rival in battle, and Index is Mikoto's rival in love.
Old 2013-09-13, 02:38   Link #1080
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

But though the future is bleak now! Soon Mikoto will have more love rivals in the future. I can see the outcome...
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote