AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-01-04, 01:18   Link #1
Duckinator

Anime similar to full metal alchemist brotherhood

I finished fmab last year and it was one of the best animes I have watched. The pacing of the show was good, every episode felt like it mattered, everyone felt mortal, the reason for characters being OP was backed by logic (except Wrath, he had 1 HP but still massively badass). The motives behind the protaganists and antagonists were logical too. The show just felt complete and perfect.

I'm looking for something similar to binge on. Preferably, I'm looking at around 50 episodes. It definitely has to be a fully completed story (I.e. good guy got what he wants, bad guy is gone, manga has finished).

I like a setting where different parts of the world or cities have to be visited or touched on for the overall plot. For example, FMA talked about Amestris, ishval, Xing, briggs etc. Another example would be the game golden sun, where the various lighthouses, rocks and other historical locations have to be explored. Whereas in naruto, the only thing that matters is konoha, we don't really need to care much about the other lands even if they go.

I'm more for the story than action scenes. Fighting doesn't appeal if it isn't backed by a good story.

I don't really know what I want actually, so maybe just shoot and I'll take a look! Thanks!
Duckinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-04, 19:58   Link #2
kitten320

Baccano! - it's short but complete and with unique way of storytelling. Everything nicely connects in the end despite the confusion at the beginning. Location wise it's mainly stuck on a train but it has interesting characters and action scenes.

Claymore - it's a good anime but not complete, the ending is alternated. However, manga is finished and has a far bigger world for exploration. I would watch anime until the last battle and then swap to manga. There are some alternative takes in the last anime arc. Otherwise good action, characters die, different morals and just over all pretty enjoyable. The only minus is the main guy, he is kinda annoying. Does get better later on in the manga.

Code Geass
- if you like Mecha. Nice action, deep characters and interesting story line.It's complete with 2 seasons making it 50 episodes.

Fate series are good with interesting characters, great visuals and entertaining story. Characters die and go through some hard stuff. Is locked in one location though. I would start with Fate/Zero, then F/SN Unlimited Blade Works and then watch upcoming movies with alternative take on F/SN route Heaven's Feel. There is also an old F/SN adaptation but I would not bother with it, it's weak.

Inuyasha possibly? An old one, set in ancient Japan type of setting with variety of locations and characters. Gets better as it progresses. Last anime season is rushed though so it might be better to pick up manga after first season which is 167 episodes long.

Have you considered sport series? Major is a great baseball anime that follows young Goro from the age of 4 until he is a professionally retired athlete with family. Fully complete in 6 season and couple OVAs. There is going to be a new anime about his son. Great story, cool characters and variety of locations.

Psycho-Pass is darker, set in possible future where a future criminal can be determined before he/she commits a crime. A perfect system... not. Greta characters, a very charismatic villain in first season. There is second season but it's pretty meh and haven't seen the film yet but the story is concluded.

Seirei no Moribito is only 26 episodes long but it's great, completed series with interesting characters and story that really varies from standard anime. Good action too.

And of course Attack on Titan. Season 3 will only air in spring and manga is ongoing but I'm pretty sure it's in its final arc so is coming to a conclusion in another year or two since it's a monthly manga like FMA.
Old 2018-01-04, 22:36   Link #3
Duckinator

I have watched fsn. Generally didn't like it as I feel the motives behind the characters were weak. Watched inuyasha long time ago too, but didn't complete it. I think it's a little draggy with too many super saiyan power ups. I'm also reading attack on titan now, but I am not a huge fan of it.

I'll probably catch baccano and code geass though. Thanks! Looking for more!
Duckinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-05, 00:50   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Both Fate Zero and Unlimited Blade Works (the series, not the movie) are much better than Fate Stay Night.

Though my top picks would be things like Crest of the Stars and it's sequel Banner of the Stars. Or Space Battleship Yamato (though I suggest the remake 2199 over the 70s version - I have nostalgia glasses, you don't).

It's hard because I can't think of any top level stories that are exactly Fullmetal Alchemist genre. But there are some really good stories that deal with philosophical questions.

Madoka Magica and Neon Genesis Evangelion being two obvious choices. Though they are both much shorter than FMA.

A few other possibilities: Katanagatari, Read Or Die (the OVA version), Chrono Crusade, Full Metal Panic, Mawaru Penguindrum, Soul Eater, Tiger & Bunny.

Avatar: The Last Airbender comes to mind if you want to travel around a completed world, even if technically it's not an anime.

If you are willing to not just cross some genre boundaries but go to completely different genres that have well written stories, then you might want to try Silver Spoon which is by the same author as Fullmetal Alchemist.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote