AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-04-28, 08:33   Link #33561
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

To add on with that, (while wikipedia is not the best source, it's pretty accurate here) I'll quote wikipedia.

Quote:
A 2005 study by Princeton sociologists Thomas J. Espenshade and Chang Y. Chung compared the effects of affirmative action on racial and special groups at three highly selective private research universities. The data from the study represent admissions disadvantage and advantage in terms of SAT points (on the old 1600-point scale):

Whites: 0 (control group)
Blacks: +230
Hispanics: +185
Asians: –50
Recruited athletes: +200
Legacies (children of alumni): +160[58]
In 2009, Princeton sociologist Thomas Espenshade and researcher Alexandria Walton Radford, in their book No Longer Separate, Not Yet Equal, examined data on students applying to college in 1997 and calculated that Asian-Americans needed nearly perfect SAT scores of 1550 to have the same chance of being accepted at a top private university as whites who scored 1410 and African Americans who got 1100.

After controlling for grades, test scores, family background (legacy status), and athletic status (whether or not the student was a recruited athlete), Espenshade and Radford found that whites were three times, Hispanics six times, and blacks more than 15 times as likely to be accepted at a US university as Asian Americans.
Adding on to that, look at these numbers with regards to medical school.

Look at who has the worst chance of being accepted and who has the best chances. As an Asian-American, myself, this is pretty much me going in with the chips stacked against me from the very beginning. Even further, (according to the AAMC website), Asians with GPAs of 3.8-4.0 and MCATs of 42-45 are the only group that where less than 100 % of students with that GPA range get acceptances.
Old 2014-04-28, 09:35   Link #33562
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
To add on with that, (while wikipedia is not the best source, it's pretty accurate here) I'll quote wikipedia.

Adding on to that, look at these numbers with regards to medical school.

Look at who has the worst chance of being accepted and who has the best chances. As an Asian-American, myself, this is pretty much me going in with the chips stacked against me from the very beginning. Even further, (according to the AAMC website), Asians with GPAs of 3.8-4.0 and MCATs of 42-45 are the only group that where less than 100 % of students with that GPA range get acceptances.
Well, a student with the best grade in the most prestigious pre-med program in my university somehow failed to be admitted into our own medical school. So... other factors beside academics also matter I guess.
Old 2014-04-28, 12:50   Link #33563
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Well, a student with the best grade in the most prestigious pre-med program in my university somehow failed to be admitted into our own medical school. So... other factors beside academics also matter I guess.
The is obviously more than just grades. However, that doesn't explain the disparity you see in that chart. What explains it is the number of people in each given ethnicity applying. There are generally less people in certain races applying as compared to others. You can see where I'm leading to here, right?

For example, take Bronx Science and Stuyvesant High School in NYC. Those two schools pick the people who enter purely based off of a single test. End result? 60+% are Asians. However, that's not the point. A black with the same score as an Asian or a White has the same exact chances of getting into those schools.

Now, obviously this is somewhat flawed as well. However, this points the issue that this kind of thing is what make the numbers so skewed. Otherwise, the numbers would be more even within maybe 2-3% differences to count those cases you are pointing out. It wouldn't be those huge-ass gaps that you see above.

If anything Affirmative Action should be aimed more at SES as opposed to race but even that still opens up a can of worms. However, it would still be better.
Old 2014-04-28, 18:44   Link #33564
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Sen. Ted Cruz calls on Secretary Kerry to resign over apartheid comments
http://therightscoop.com/breaking-se...heid-comments/
The thing is than Kerry is right on that one, even Israeli ex prime minister Ehud Olmert and Ehud Barak have said the same in the past.
Old 2014-04-28, 19:02   Link #33565
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Sen. Ted Cruz calls on Secretary Kerry to resign over apartheid comments
Cruz mentions that he was one of just three senators to vote against Kerry's confirmation as Secretary of State. This is just another round of kissing Sheldon Adelson's behind as the potential Republican candidates line up at his door looking for handouts.

I also see these comments as strategic. Tea Party fanatics like Cruz are not especially favored by the financial types that make up mainstream Republican politics. A lot of those people are tied to the Republicans' neo-con wing that so dominated the Bush cabinet. So maybe Cruz is trying to curry favor with those people as well.

I doubt Cruz has strong feelings one way or the other about Israel. It's all politics. It's also an indirect jab at Hillary Clinton, and part of the continuing Republican efforts to portray Democrats as weak on national security, something they have done all my life. It's more of the "Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi" rhetoric. One of the persistent themes of the Obama Adminstration has been trying to shed that reputation by "tough" actions like drone strikes and the assassination of Osama bin Laden.
Old 2014-04-28, 23:13   Link #33566
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I have hard time understanding why Ted Cruz still gets taken seriously by a large number of people.

I mean, dude is clearly nuts.
Old 2014-04-28, 23:16   Link #33567
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I have hard time understanding why Ted Cruz still gets taken seriously by a large number of people.

Welcome to America. Honestly, with a good portion of the country either crazy or brainwashed by Fox News, it's not exactly hard to understand why.
Old 2014-04-28, 23:57   Link #33568
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post

it is all canada's fault. Cruz is Canadian plant.
Old 2014-04-29, 00:53   Link #33569
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

Which species of plant?

Old 2014-04-29, 05:36   Link #33570
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Don>t forget than his father is from Cuba, he could as well be a creation from Fidel , intended to destroy the US by within
Old 2014-04-29, 06:58   Link #33571
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
This seems appropriate about now:

Old 2014-04-29, 13:17   Link #33572
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Don>t forget than his father is from Cuba, he could as well be a creation from Fidel , intended to destroy the US by within
Very much this, lol.

Nevertheless, Roy Brown would describe Ted Cruz (or any other mad politician) ever so well with his song. Bless Roy.
Old 2014-04-30, 06:38   Link #33573
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Oklahoma Inmate Dies After Execution Is Botched
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/o...mates-23510375
Old 2014-04-30, 07:34   Link #33574
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Oklahoma Inmate Dies After Execution Is Botched
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/o...mates-23510375
and much tear was shed for the loss of such a great man..... or not, nope, not a single tear.

Personally he should've been executed the same way he killed his victim - shot with a shotgun, and then buried alive.
Old 2014-04-30, 07:43   Link #33575
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
and much tear was shed for the loss of such a great man..... or not, nope, not a single tear.

Personally he should've been executed the same way he killed his victim - shot with a shotgun, and then buried alive.
Use a hunting rifle and set him loose with a tracking anklet.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-04-30, 08:03   Link #33576
JokerD

Hanging, then you can donate the organs as well
Old 2014-04-30, 09:01   Link #33577
Zakoo

I don't know if it's irony, or if you are even serious.
Old 2014-04-30, 09:08   Link #33578
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
I don't know if it's irony, or if you are even serious.
I have zero sympathy for murderers, does that answer your question?
Old 2014-04-30, 09:49   Link #33579
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So anyone going to deathrow deserves to suffer in their last moments?
What happens if that person was an innocent who was wrongly convicted?
Does that person deserves to die a horrible death even though he didn't do it?

The problem with the justice system is it's suppose to protect the innocent and punish the guilty but instead the innocent sometime gets punished for being in the wrong place at the wrong time or corruption while the guilty gets away scott free using connections or loop holes in the law.

Even if we uses harsh punishments for terrible criminals, are those actions justified or we not so different with the criminals?
Old 2014-04-30, 09:59   Link #33580
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Can we just use a rifle and one bullet?

You know, kyp275, what you think about is just the same with feudal system: They always drag the criminal through the street, then kill. It's a two edge blade: supresses the people, but also advocate people about violence.

Not like I have sympathy to these people, but you should care about how to execute without letting back bad influence.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international