AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-06-06, 08:29   Link #341
DaFool
Resident devil

Heh, ep21 is interesting. If they had lawyers back in the day they could have sued Ginko for malpractice.

lol.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 05:48   Link #342
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
by the way,I would like to ask a question to Mushishi fans/viewers.Which episode is your favourite episode of Mushishi so far ??? The episode I like most is the one with a green-haired girl in it.She lived with a inland river so long and her hair became green color.
For some reason it feels like we've already had this conversation. Anyway, I thought 12. The way they portrayed Ginko's past was so beautifully ironic and and execution was near perfect and emotional. But, there's still 5 episodes I've yet to see, so one of them could possibly overtake it.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 09:48   Link #343
Zappster

I can think of at least 4 off the top of my head that I'd consider for that position. I just don't remember the episode numbers of most of them, mainly because it's been a while since I watched them. Hopefully someone can help me out with the ep numbers. Favourite if I had to pick just one would be the one with the guy that can see the future or something(episode 4 I think). Then there's the one about Ginko's past, the one with Ginko's love interest/future wife(at least I'm hoping she is) ep 20 I believe and the one with that floating lady.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 19:02   Link #344
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
For some reason it feels like we've already had this conversation.
After episode 20 aired, a few people voiced their opinions on their favorite episodes during that void of time without Mushishi. I'm waiting until Mushishi has completely aired before I reveal my choices. I just realized there's only two episodes of Mushishi left. Oh no, the feeling of dread from an ineluctable end is looming over me. I wish Mushishi would never end, just like Ginko's journey...*sigh*.

Anyways, saw episode 24.
Spoiler for Comments on episode 24:
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 19:06   Link #345
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Re: Episode 21:

Brilliant as usual. It was worth the wait.
Old 2006-06-08, 03:23   Link #346
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
by the way,I would like to ask a question to Mushishi fans/viewers.Which episode is your favourite episode of Mushishi so far ??? The episode I like most is the one with a green-haired girl in it.She lived with a inland river so long and her hair became green color.
I also really liked that episode, cause you kinda really felt for that girl.. I also liked the Rainbow Ep (7 i think) as well as Ep 17 and 19. The best so far for me --> 20. But like Muir says, best to wait till the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Oh no, the feeling of dread from an ineluctable end is looming over me. I wish Mushishi would never end, just like Ginko's journey...*sigh*.
Sometimes waiting for subs is good? Jk Jk. Speaking of which C1 I LOVE YOU!!! Downloading now. Can't wait Can't wait.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 20:15   Link #347
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Sometimes waiting for subs is good?
Maybe you're right. I could delay the impending end, in a sense, by simply waiting for the English subs. But Mushishi is so good that, despite its self-contained and non-overaching stories, everytime a new episode has aired, I have a strong urge to watch it as soon as possible, to get my Mushishi fix. It's like...an addiction. I apologize if my words are too quick. When the anime ends, I think I'll have Mushishi withdraw, unless somebody continues translating the manga where Mangascreener left off a long while ago (last October). Someone? Please?
Old 2006-06-11, 08:25   Link #348
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
It's like...an addiction.
Dude, I understand exactly how that feels. Sigh. Okay, 21.

Spoiler for GINKO OWNS MY SCREEN AGAIN!!:

This was another strong episode.
Old 2006-06-11, 15:09   Link #349
Syaoran
Inactive Member

That episode 21 was one I really liked
Just having the feeling Mushishi could mix with humans, learn from them, live like them and not raising suspicion is fantastic ^^
It's almost like a higher form of mushi evolution

.. never mind ... I'm ranting again, isn't it ?
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 23:32   Link #350
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Saw episode 25.
Spoiler for Comments on episode 25:
One episode left. I hope it ends as a pinnacle.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2006-06-15 at 01:06.
Old 2006-06-19, 06:36   Link #351
wao
OK.

I've had problems getting 23, but I grew impatient and took a glimpse at the 2 eps I have (24 and 25). I only skipped through 24 but for 25, I was goin to skip through it at first yet... I couldn't help but continue watching and before I realised it there I was, watching the whole thing. I liked this story quite a bit in the manga too, because for once I felt Ginko had a strong sense of respect and sadness at the same time for Amane (all very subtle, of course). I liked the last bit the most, but the scene Muir Woods mentioned was also quite poignant - it was very striking, and the scene itself somehow made you feel uncomfortable at first but at the same time a strange feeling of "Ginko's one of the few who really understands things" ... very mysterious feeling.

One scene that was very effective, though, was Ginko's earliest memories.
Spoiler for Really not much a spoiler:

....and I swear, I couldn't believe it when I saw Amane was played by Maaya Sakamoto. Makes sense given the singing but... I couldn't recognize it!!! Perhaps it's because the character she's playing here is quite different from her usual ones in general. She sounds so serious and less sweet, and you can feel a bit of the melancholy coming through. I suppose this is closer to what her real voice is like.
Old 2006-06-19, 06:47   Link #352
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
[...] Maaya Sakamoto. [...]
Maaya Sakamoto!!!?? I love one of her songs from Wolf's Rain.
Old 2006-06-19, 06:47   Link #353
Snoop'

Duh, it's been weeks since I stock the Mushishi episodes on my hard drive while not having enough time to watch them (I don't want to watch them in a rush)...

I watched ep.23 though, it wasn't perhaps the best episode of the series, but the scene near the end with the golden sunset/sky was gorgeous. Oh, and a beautiful beach at the very end, too.

Now the question is : will I skip ep.24 and 25 to watch ep.26, just in order to be in the debate ?
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-20, 00:02   Link #354
gianna
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop'
Duh, it's been weeks since I stock the Mushishi episodes on my hard drive while not having enough time to watch them (I don't want to watch them in a rush)...

I watched ep.23 though, it wasn't perhaps the best episode of the series, but the scene near the end with the golden sunset/sky was gorgeous. Oh, and a beautiful beach at the very end, too.

Now the question is : will I skip ep.24 and 25 to watch ep.26, just in order to be in the debate ?
Not much of a discussion :/ View them in order.
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-20, 09:42   Link #355
wao
OK.

I just watched 23 and then 26. 23 was pretty good to me - personally I liked the original story, I think Shige and Tetsu made a very nice pair and I don't know why, I just found the story itself enjoyable.

As for 26, well it's not as good as episode 20 I'm afraid, and the animation isn't as good either (to me, anyway) ... But, they did the story very well. I think there was something about the scenes and pacing that kind of kept your attention and had you notice the feelings of Taku.

And it's one of those very few non-Ginko centered episodes, he's really in a largely minor role here, but it's interesting to know just a tad bit about what happened to him after episode 12 (it's hinted at, anyway).

I enjoyed it more than the manga chapter, anyway. I really could feel
Spoiler for however spoilery Mushishi gets!:

It's been a great effort from the production team; thank goodness people still make shows like these.

Someday maybe they'll do another 13 eps if there's enough books out and if they're given enough time and funding... I wouldn't mind seeing the more recent chapters
Spoiler:

EDIT: Oh, and I guess for the seiyuu nuts - there's Ami Koshimizu in this episode with a pretty surprising performance of Isaza. Quite a good performance, IMO. I've always kind of been impressed by her since she swung from Tenma to ... ANEMONE. Wow.

EDIT2: There was also a voice credit for teh role of a "Watari" in the credits. Is that the name of the
Spoiler for Again, not much of a spoiler:
(actually, now that I heard Ginko speak again, I think Wataris actually refer to the nomadic people in this episode.)

And my favourite scene in ep 26 was, I think,
Spoiler:

Last edited by wao; 2006-06-20 at 09:58.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-20, 23:41   Link #356
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Saw episode 26, the final episode.
Spoiler for Comments on episode 26:

And with the anime over, it's time for my final thoughts. I will avoid going into detail analyzing the good qualities of Mushishi, because that would only repeat what many others have said before (and some have articulated well). The praises has been consistent and strong, and I'll let the thread speak for its eminence. So I'll keep it short: Mushishi has been a transcendent experience. I watch anime fundamentally for entertainment. Mushishi is indeed high calibre entertainment, but it goes beyond that. It stimulates the mind, and touches the heart, and does it without pretension nor fatigue. An anime close to perfection, and I'm hard pressed to find its faults. It easily earns a spot in my top three anime, no, shows in general of all time. Ginko is an entity that ranks and belongs with the immortals, and he has earned a permanent place in my memories.
Old 2006-06-21, 03:41   Link #357
Snoop'

I finally didn't download ep.26 yet - because my current free disk space is 600MB...

Nevertheless, if I too would comment on this series - apart from the fact that the art is strikingly beautiful and animation is detailed, and the sound fits nicely - I would say that this series makes you think. But not in a tiring way, when for example you have to watch the show twice to get an idea of what's happening. Neither in a "hey, look, we are dealing with deep philosophical issues ! man we rock for being intellectual !" way. It's simpler than that. You watch the episode, and everything is obvious. Behind the simple story, you can naturally find issues connected to real life, which leave you thinking.

Oh, and another thing is that Ginko is über-cool. It's funny how sometimes a simple line, a slight grin make this calm character insanely appealing.
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 04:52   Link #358
wao
OK.

I suppose you could say it's like nature itself - it's just the way it is, an everyday thing, and, in general, apparently obvious. But if you pay attention to it - like people of days gone by who lived closer to nature, or even like Mushishis - you'll realise there are many checks and balances and intricate
little differences that make things happen the way they do. It's not trying to prove a point or anything - it just is. But yet it makes you think.

...Something like that.
Old 2006-06-21, 10:44   Link #359
Lost

My goodness. Are we writing obituaries now?

In my imperfect words: It makes you feel. For the people who have their lives changed by Mushi, indirectly, or directly - they are the main characters of each episode, not Ginko. Their actions, their reactions, their tones, their expressions, their tears, their eyes. All touch you, and convey to your heart what they must have had in theirs.

Because of that (and together with the music, and the VA -- especially the VA, of which I must say that I've heard the best in Mushishi -- and the background art) it brings me to a level of immersion as never before. In no other Anime (not even Kino no Tabi) have I been taken along and been able to totally drown myself in an episode, such that even the room around me, the sounds from outside, the sofa I sit on, my ever-present mental to-do list, all disappears. This is the closiest that Watching an Anime has come to Reading a Book for me.

In no other Anime too, am I happier to let my feelings go and be taken whereever the episode chooses to lead it, whether tragic or happy. Honestly, in no other Anime do look forward to an episode as much as in Mushishi.

About what you've all written about thinking, yes, thats very true. It doesn't take much effort to really roll the episode over in your mind, its so simple that you can actually savour the nuances and intricacies of that particular episode, and all within the ED sequence. I swear, the music helps you think, and feel. Like I've said before, it doesnt end with the credits. The music carries so much feeling that you are again carried along as you ponder over the episode.

Quote:
I suppose you could say it's like nature itself - it's just the way it is, an everyday thing, and, in general, apparently obvious.
Very true. I dont remember having ever had to justify a particular event. Its just the way it is.
Old 2006-06-21, 14:41   Link #360
wao
OK.

Nah, no obituaries yet until they finish the manga.

But what you said reminded me - I really am genuinely awestruck by the backgroudns in this episode. At first I was trying not to be impressed by them but the level of detail is ZOMG WTF. It's almost as good as movie-quality (though maybe not Studio Biho-level yet... especially their movie work)

Still - it's really, really very high calibre for a TV show. Amazing... And fitting, of course. I love those scenes where there's a lot of scenery and somebody is walking through it (such as during that episode with the haru-magai - that created fake spring in the middle of winter, and Ginko was walking through the snow... The image is still in my head.)

And like I mentioned earlier the whole "theme colour" design. It's the first time I've seen entirely separate colour designers for every single episode. They're put up there with the episode directors and storyboarders. I suppose they discuss the nature and objects of the episode and what kind of colour would be most suitable. The colours probably get reflected in the storyboards and image layouts for the episode too - which is why it looks so much more unified and coloriwise (is that a word? ), pleasing to the eye (to me, anyway).

If only other manga adaptations would follow their example of putting their money in the right places! Ah... maybe it depends on the producer, though.

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural