AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-07-02, 10:46   Link #1
amjzz

Best software for anime tracing "vectoring"?

Um...which is the best software for anime tracing ("vectoring")?
Which software gives the best results while "vectoring" an anime image...

There are many but im not sure which is the best:

-Photoshop
-GIMP
-Inkscape

And maybe others that give better results but that i dont know...

Any recomendations on what software give the best results?. (Dont need to be of the list).
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 10:48   Link #2
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

Imo the best program is Adobe Illustrator. Familiar to Photoshop, but better at those kinda things.
Old 2008-07-02, 12:52   Link #3
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Depends on what you mean by "best". I use Photoshop myself and I like that since I know that stuff, but I've heard Illustrator should be better for tracing/vectoring.
Mostly because Illustrator use mathematical code (or whatever) so you can resize the image as many times as you want without losing quality. I would use it but I've never learned as it is a little more complicated.

I wouldn't suggest GIMP. No experience on that, but PS or Illustrator is IMO the 2 better choices.

Inkscape, I have no idea.

I would like to point out though, that it really boils down to skill. It might be easier with Illustrator if you've learned it but you can be just as good in PS if you know what you're doin'.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 12:57   Link #4
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Illustrator is the vector program, but it might be better to learn Photoshop since you can do so much next to the vectoring. Eventhough Photoshop doesn't make a "true" vector.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 13:10   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Solwyvern and Demon Eyes both use photoshop. That alone should be a good enough reason to give the program a try.
Old 2008-07-02, 13:57   Link #6
Shana

I gave a little try to Adobe Illustrator and it's awesome. Go look for a guide and use it. If you want something other than that use Adobe Photoshop.
Old 2008-07-02, 13:59   Link #7
amjzz

Photoshop seem to be a good software for "vector" anime, but there are not tutorials that explain "advanced" vector techniques for anime. (Shadows and other image effects while "vectoring")

Thats why im looking for a software that can make more "advanced" anime "vectors" and which one give the best results.

Also, i tryed adobe illustrator, but couldnt find any guide for vector anime...and illustrator is quite different from photoshop at the moment tracing an anime image.
Old 2008-07-02, 15:47   Link #8
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

Illustrator is the best.
Cause no matter how much you zoom in, the quality stays the same. D:
And Illy was made specifically for vector art.
BearShare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 20:04   Link #9
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
Photoshop seem to be a good software for "vector" anime, but there are not tutorials that explain "advanced" vector techniques for anime. (Shadows and other image effects while "vectoring")

Thats why im looking for a software that can make more "advanced" anime "vectors" and which one give the best results.

Also, i tryed adobe illustrator, but couldnt find any guide for vector anime...and illustrator is quite different from photoshop at the moment tracing an anime image.
As far as I know there's no software like that. You do shadows and all by pulling your hair yourself.

Also, there's no specific software for tracing anime.
Old 2008-07-02, 20:42   Link #10
amjzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
As far as I know there's no software like that. You do shadows and all by pulling your hair yourself.

Also, there's no specific software for tracing anime.
Oh, im not looking for a software for tracing anime, im looking for the software that gives the best results with that.

(Also, there are not illustrator tutorials for vectoring anime or if are then its hard to find them...so its quite hard until get used because its not the same as photoshop.)

Anyway, it seems that the skill of the person matter more than the software at the moment of trace an anime ("vectoring").
Old 2008-07-02, 21:01   Link #11
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

First off, I wouldn't group 'tracing' and 'vectoring' in the same category. 'Tracing' is basically reproducing an image. 'Vectoring' would also be reproducing an image, but the difference is that vectors are something that can be resized infinitely without losing quality, as it uses mathematical algorithms instead of memorizing the locations of pixels. You can create a traced image without using vectors; one look at solwyvern's and Daniel E's work can prove that.

GIMP and Photoshop need to be paired together as the group of programs that use raster graphics. Inkscape and Illustrator need to be paired together as the programs that deal with vector graphics. Raster programs have a limited amount of vector tools, but they're lacking in versatility compared to Illustrator's. One limitation that you'll run into with vector programs are a lack of options compared to raster programs. It's much more difficult to blur something well with a vector program than a raster program, even if it can be done, and flexibility in blurring becomes more difficult.

To compare Illustrator and Photoshop:

For the Pen Tool, Adobe Illustrator is the best. It's easier to configure and, once you get used to it, quicker to use than Photoshop. I'm not going to say that Illustrator can do things that Photoshop can't [Aside from things vectors are usually good at, but hopefully, if you use Photoshop, you will create your traces in a very large size and resize later.].

Photoshop has advantages over Illustrator because it's able to do things that Illustrator can't due to the fact that it's a vector program. For example, if you want to blur shadows, Photoshop is much better because, as a vector program, Illustrator has a very limited ability to blur.

I would personally say Photoshop, although Illustrator is quicker and easier to start out with if you understand the Pen Tool. Photoshop can do everything Illustrator can and more, even though it will take more time with Photoshop.

I use Illustrator because I failz at Photoshop, though.

I'm sorry that my thoughts are scattered.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 21:11   Link #12
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

If you only plan to vector an anime scan, then I suggest Inkscape. If you planned to do anything else, signature, webdesign etc etc.. then get Photoshop, of course if money is of concern, gimp is a very good alternatives to PS. especially, if everything you learn is basiccally the very basic. I started with GIMP, then switched to PS and the relearning is a pain, but now, after 3 years.. I go giddy if I open GIMP back.

Inkscape on the other hand are very easy to learn especially if you are very interested in only vectoring stuff and its free

I cannot vouch for Ilustrator as I have not try it myself.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 21:54   Link #13
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
just do this If you just want to vector then use Illustrator or Inkscape BUT if you want to color and shade and the like then just do the vectoring in illustrator then transfer it to photoshop for coloring =O

get it?

i mean both are made by adobe so they made it easier to transfer between programs

bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 23:13   Link #14
LustfulEnvy
Casanova Extraordinaire
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to LustfulEnvy Send a message via MSN to LustfulEnvy
Depends on how you use the product, I use photoshop cs2, you have to know how to use paths and masks and such. I've never tried Inkscape before.. I think ill try it out. Ive done coloring and shading on outlines I drew and scanned before though. Gimp is the alternative if you cant afford photoshop. (Ive used it a few years back)
LustfulEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 23:40   Link #15
aolas
King Of The Night Sky
*Graphic Designer

umm i using photoshop myself, it's only cause i know it better than illustrator. but looking from other opinion it seems illustrator more good than ps.
yeah, i think so too that a person skill is the one that decide his/her work good or not
aolas is offline   Reply With Quote