AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-09, 16:49   Link #1
kakashi222

What martial arts do you take?

Yes, this is the revival of the old forum thread, "what martial arts do you take?". Even though i have had (and still do) years of martial arts experience in my life, i wasnt that active in discussing it in the old thread. But i reasoned with my self, and decided to share my wisdom with those who seek for it or need it.

So let me start:

- I take shotokan and taekwondo.
- I have been taking shotokan for 11 years, and taekwondo for 7 years.
- I am 2nd degree black belt in shotokan and 1st degree black belt in taekwondo.
- I am going to up my rank in both martial arts soon.

These are the martial arts I know and still take. I have also had experience in judo and other martial arts, but those are the main ones I take.

Lastly before anyone asks, I am 16 years old
Old 2003-11-09, 16:59   Link #2
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Isn't this thread supposed to be posted in General Chat rather than Naruto? Well anyway, mine's Aikido.
Old 2003-11-09, 17:01   Link #3
Stickels
Just passing by

I've taken Akido, Taekwondo, wresteling, and a little boxing.

now I'm doing Krav Maga, I've never found anything better in three months I've learned signifcantly more than I ever did within years of taking anything else.
Old 2003-11-09, 17:09   Link #4
kakashi222

Ive had experience in aikido, its mostly about throwing an opponent or something like that. But what is this Krav Maga ? I have never heard of that
Old 2003-11-09, 17:11   Link #5
Stickels
Just passing by

Its a hebrew word, it means contact fighting, its what they teach soldiers in isreal
Old 2003-11-09, 17:13   Link #6
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

Send a message via AIM to smee
I am 14 years old and am a black belt in sung moo kwon tae kwon do, and was the fastest to adavance in the history of my tae kwon do dojang. BOO YAH!!
Old 2003-11-09, 17:15   Link #7
kakashi222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickels
Its a hebrew word, it means contact fighting, its what they teach soldiers in isreal
Very interesting. I would love to see/spar with some one who uses that techinique at a high level. Like how far are you into it? And is thier a website i can go to find out more about it?
Old 2003-11-09, 17:16   Link #8
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

just go to google and type krav maga, its fairly well known.
Old 2003-11-09, 17:19   Link #9
Stickels
Just passing by

I'm level 2, out of three levels, we do full contact sparring. pretty intense stuff.

the only difference in the next level is we work on knife and gun attacks, and we get open handed gloves so we can grapple while we spar.

there are websites for it... just type in Krav Maga on google or something, but you can pretty much disregard what you find about it because the isrealis don't mass advertise it, they only train people who they've interviewd and think are trustworthy. and an isreali is the only person you'd want to learn it from.
Old 2003-11-09, 17:21   Link #10
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
I took American Tai Kempo for about 11 years...fun stuff, it also incorperated some ground fighting, wrestling and boxing which was also kinda fun
Old 2003-11-09, 17:24   Link #11
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

yeah we have ground fighting in my Tae kwon do class, its really fun cuz if u get into a fight on the ground u have a distinct advantage.
Old 2003-11-09, 17:24   Link #12
dark_breaka
Äñìmê Frëã|{

Currently i'm taking kung fu and taijutsu I use to take taekwondo but found that I

really didn't learn anything since I kept having to do the same moves every class
Old 2003-11-09, 17:52   Link #13
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

I do Muay Thai for now..... Have experience with Tae Kwon Do and relavant experience with Jiu Jitsu. Have some interest with Jeet Kune Do, but unfortunately, it's hard to find a dojo at my place... Not to mention how a lot of Chinese so-called sei fu's tend to rip you off and don't teach you everything.... If you can't find a good master, instructor or coach whatever you address them, that's it for your enthusiasm for the art. I think Muay Thai is pretty much pragmatic, so I'm cool with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_breaka
really didn't learn anything since I kept having to do the same moves every class
It can be boring at times having to do the same things over and over again.... But hey man, the basics are the fundamental of nearly everything (especially Marital Arts).... So keep up the tenacity dude =)
Old 2003-11-09, 18:16   Link #14
kakashi222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagare Ryouma
It can be boring at times having to do the same things over and over again.... But hey man, the basics are the fundamental of nearly everything (especially Marital Arts)... So keep up the tenacity dude =)

That is so true, believe it or not but the higher level martial arts do the basics too but extremely well done. So keep practicing the basics becuase they will be stepping stones for your progress.
Old 2003-11-09, 18:42   Link #15
Lee-pimp
A.S.S. Vice President

ive been taking tae kwon do for 9 or 10 years now (im 14) and ive had some expierience in judo and in my tae kwon do classes we learn ground fighting (a lot of fun especially if your small liike me cus size doesnt matter that much) and hopkido (sp) im going to level up probably to black in the early summer/late spring cus my dojo only has belt tests once every year an i missed the last one
Old 2003-11-09, 21:44   Link #16
Lux

I don't want to sound dissrespectful to other MA's, but if you're interested in fighting TKD is useless, as is your belt. You gain rank quicker than you do in Judo! Atleast in Judo the techqniques can actually be effective. Also I can pretty much assure you that your ground techniques from TKD wouldn't be too effective, if you don't believe me just go down to your local Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gym and roll with a white belt there. If you want to learn to dance or just for whatever reason, take whatever you want. But if you want to learn to fight I STRONGLY suggest considering taking one or some of the following: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, Kick Boxing, Vale Tudo, Muay Thai, Wrestling's good too. All I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

One more note, to be a fighter takes dedication and sacrafices. It takes blood and sweat. More importantly it takes heart. If you don't spar immediately in whatever it is you take, leave. If it's not challening, leave. If you're afraid of excercise, competition, etc...then just don't take up anything.
Old 2003-11-09, 21:49   Link #17
Stickels
Just passing by

I'd be inclined to agree with you Lux.
Old 2003-11-09, 22:26   Link #18
kakashi222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
I don't want to sound dissrespectful to other MA's, but if you're interested in fighting TKD is useless, as is your belt. You gain rank quicker than you do in Judo! Atleast in Judo the techqniques can actually be effective. Also I can pretty much assure you that your ground techniques from TKD wouldn't be too effective, if you don't believe me just go down to your local Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gym and roll with a white belt there. If you want to learn to dance or just for whatever reason, take whatever you want. But if you want to learn to fight I STRONGLY suggest considering taking one or some of the following: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, Kick Boxing, Vale Tudo, Muay Thai, Wrestling's good too. All I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

One more note, to be a fighter takes dedication and sacrafices. It takes blood and sweat. More importantly it takes heart. If you don't spar immediately in whatever it is you take, leave. If it's not challening, leave. If you're afraid of excercise, competition, etc...then just don't take up anything.

LOL, believe it or not, that part is unfortunetly true.
Old 2003-11-09, 23:20   Link #19
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

how many ppl have u seen that uses other MAs to the fullest Lux?
It annoys me when ppl basically say "My style is better than yours!"

Its not martial arts its the person. How many times does this world need to be told, it NEVER matters on the fighting style, its always how YOU fight.

Ive taken tae kwon do when i was young, i quit because of the incompetence of my teachers. (whether they just sucked, or not good teachers, i didnt like them)

Today i use BRAIN. i attack ppl's weakness, and turn my weakness in to strength. Every race has some sort of genetic physical weakness (believe it or not) and i use that to my advantge. The easiest ones to notice is size. If you fight someone smaller than you, u should apply ton of brute force. Size matters alot in fighting if ure only using strength. When you fight someone a lot bigger, use that to ur advantage by using speed and agility. Since bigger ppl have larger inertia, its harder for them to switch directions when moving. there are lots of things. small feet big person means less balance, tall ppl have weaker knees. etc. When ur fight goes too long, you can expose ur weaknesses tat are not genetic, but it also means u know wat their weakness are too. I wouldve been beaten down several times if i relied on my brute force or other fighting abilities.

anyways: what i really want to take is fencing (korean/japanese style) katanas are old and no one uses them to fight in the US, but its cool. (In korea and japan they still have big street gangs fighting w/ swords. Guns are not popular)
i also want to learn how to use strong useful kicks. I dont care wat style, how many styles i mix into it. Maybe i should learn Shaolin Soccer
Old 2003-11-09, 23:24   Link #20
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
I fight with mace!!

so watchout creepy emo-loving campus stalker!! You dont scare me anymore ;_;
Closed Thread