AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2019-09-09, 19:24   Link #3061
justavisitor

Format wise, I would say Gaim discarded the overuse of two episodes a story at that time (after decade, w, ooo, fourze and the somewhat boring wizard) and brought back the continuous story format. Multi-riders were re-introduced, compared to the two riders system since w, so I would give Gaim a bit more credit. Rider series after that pretty much mixed them all together
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet

Last edited by justavisitor; 2019-09-09 at 19:35.
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-10, 11:30   Link #3062
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Format wise, I would say Gaim discarded the overuse of two episodes a story at that time (after decade, w, ooo, fourze and the somewhat boring wizard) and brought back the continuous story format. Multi-riders were re-introduced, compared to the two riders system since w, so I would give Gaim a bit more credit. Rider series after that pretty much mixed them all together
I wouldn't call going back to the old format doing something new. But I'd say it did shake things up a bit by doing that.
Old 2019-09-10, 16:27   Link #3063
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I wouldn't call going back to the old format doing something new. But I'd say it did shake things up a bit by doing that.
You speak exactly what I meant to say
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2019-09-10, 20:59   Link #3064
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I'd say one show that did bring something new to the table was Drive with the sentient Belt and the car.
Kiva already did the "sentient belt"-thing before Drive, and Black RX also beat Drive when it comes to having a sentient car with his Lightdron/Raidoron (albeit not being the focus of the show).

Quote:
Build was also more ambitious with its setting with the sky wall and Japan being divided into three different nations as a result.
The concept is fine, but I don't think it impacted the storytelling that much. For example, Faiz introduced the concept of "the monsters are humans too, and some of them just want to live in peace" that it made the storytelling different from shows before it (Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki and the showa shows).

And on top of them all, I also miss the air of seriousness that Pre-DenO Heisei KR shows brought. They're generally serious but also littered with air of wonder & excitement (not just "edginess" like Amazons did).
Old 2019-09-11, 09:42   Link #3065
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Kiva already did the "sentient belt"-thing before Drive, and Black RX also beat Drive when it comes to having a sentient car with his Lightdron/Raidoron (albeit not being the focus of the show).
I had forgotten about Kiva. Or more like, I wanted to forget about Kiva
Kivat was cool though, being voiced by Sugita.

Regarding what you miss from KR, I don't think you're going to get it from Zero One. Then again, Shouichi acted really silly in Agito (especially around a certain cop) and yet the show was overall pretty serious, so who knows?
Old 2019-09-11, 20:41   Link #3066
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Regarding what you miss from KR, I don't think you're going to get it from Zero One.
Oh, I'm well aware that I most likely won't ever get such atmosphere of serious awe & excitement again like I did during the period from Kuuga to Den-O. That was the "golden age" for me. I'm just glad that I was lucky enough to enjoy such period, and now I feel a bit nostalgic considering that we have entered a new Reiwa era.

What I wanted the Reiwa shows to do is pretty much "breaking the mold" like OG Heisei shows did. I think it's pretty reasonable but requires the showrunners to think outside the box and not relying too much on merchandising & gimmicks (which also what ruined the recent Ultraman shows for me since they feel more like merchandise sales first and story second).

Also, to this day, I still find the gimmick-theme-combi of "lock, fruit, zipper, sengoku and dance-group" in Gaim as an unholy amalgamation that don't really fit one another. The mix of "video-game x doctors" in Ex-Aid & "spirits x hoodies" in Ghost was almost as bad. It's a chaotic blend for the sake of merchandising. Do we need KR franchise to hit rock bottom first to get a fresh show like Kuuga back then? I don't know and I hope not.

Quote:
Then again, Shouichi acted really silly in Agito (especially around a certain cop) and yet the show was overall pretty serious, so who knows?
Shouichi's character is more like "amnesiac-pure-altruistic" than "out-of-the-way-silly"-kinda type. Don't get me wrong, I like some comedic relief in my KR shows once in a while. To this day, I still love the silly episodes in Ryuki.
Old 2019-09-13, 01:12   Link #3067
iko_uwais

Masato Kusaka/Kamen Rider Kaixa will be getting his own manga written by Toshiki Inoue himself and supervised by Kusaka's actor, Kouhei Murakami. It will be serialized in Dengeki Maoh starting this month

https://hobby.dengeki.com/news/84559...mpression=true

Kinda curious, but Inoue writing?Meh. Gonna wait for the reviews first

Btw, this makes 5 kamen rider manga currently being serialized: Spirits, kuuga, futo, amazons, kaixa.

Man, that's a lot

Last edited by iko_uwais; 2019-09-13 at 10:10.
iko_uwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-13, 10:08   Link #3068
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

A manga about Kusaka written by Inoue? If that doesn't spell disaster, I don't know what does.
Old 2019-09-14, 09:45   Link #3069
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Meh, I'm okay with Inoue's writing for tokusatsu-standard. It will at least be interesting. And with the manga medium, he can go crazier without being afraid of all the things that shackled him when writing a TV show.

And speaking of 555-Faiz I just realized that mere toy-reviewer-youtuber can already make this short cool scene:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Haha, Toei need to step it up a little bit if common people can already make this kind of thing.
Old 2019-09-14, 11:19   Link #3070
iko_uwais

It's not transition to manga form that I'm worried about. futo tantei already proved how good toku manga can be, it helps that riku sanjou is a veteran manga writer before becoming a toku and anime writer. What I'm worried is that about inoue's writing sucks. He was the main writer for Hibiki's second half after all. Inoue without any shackles resulted in the faiz novel where Kusaka RAPED mari. It also resulted in Sword gai anime, and the currently serialized Kuuga manga, which is really not good. Inoue's writing quality has taken quite a nosedive ever since Kiva. To be honest, even Faiz, story-line wise was a mess. It had some good ideas, but man, was the story, especially in the second half, crappy as hell. Kiva also had a LOT of issues, story-wise. Inoue's last truly good series for me was Agito. Seriously, with Kuuga manga, the guy turns the series from a dark but ultimately optimistic series, into a darkness induced audience apathy series where I couldn't really sympathized with manga!Godai and manga!Ichijo. His writing can be summed up with: super dark tone, super unsympathetic characters, Rider vs Rider even when it doesn't make sense.

I grew up during the Heisei phase 1 era myself, and believe me, that era wasn't perfect. There's a reason I still prefer Ex-Aid and Build to Kabuto, Faiz, or Kiva. Inoue and his "protege" Shoji Yonemura are pretty much the walking poster boy of the negative sides of Heisei phase 1 for me. I'm also one of those who don't care about merchandise, as long as the story is good, I don't care if the Rider uses underwear to transform.

Back to Kaixa manga, let's just hope Kusaka doesn't rape anyone in that manga. Hopefully maybe it'll be better than I hoped, but I don't expect much. Sword Gai anime still proves that Inoue suck balls and the Zi-O Ryuki special didn't impress me either. But who knows? Maybe Kaixa will turned out good and become a smash hit and enter Kono manga sugoi best of the year list like the awesome Futo Tantei. Hopefully, Inoue can at least write some sympathetic characters who I can actually root for and who doesn't suffer needlessly all the time.

Last edited by iko_uwais; 2019-09-14 at 11:53.
Old 2019-09-14, 19:33   Link #3071
justavisitor

Well, I consider Agito as the best TV series to date, and that is written by Inoue. But I think Inoue doesn't really care anymore after Kiva..

The best Kamen rider product to me, is the manga Kamen rider spirit. Scale is big enough, military gets involved, and mutants come in wave rather than one by one. The author drags on a bit too much tho, 17 years and is still ongoing, but if you wanna see showa riders in a more up to date setting and story, Kamen rider spirit is definitely a good choice

Futo detective manga is great, it follows after the W Tv series and is considered canon(?) I would say the style is really consistent to the the Tv show
Old 2019-09-15, 01:18   Link #3072
iko_uwais

^Indeed, Agito is a favorite of mine too. That's why I said it was Inoue's truly last good series, before his worst tendencies took over. Spirits is dang awesome, but honestly, the main plot has become really boring and dragged out. At this point, I just wish the Riders will finally kill Judo so he would shut up.

Futo Tantei is definitely canon, its written by Riku Sanjo, the head writer for the original series, the Dopant's designer is Terada Katsuya, who also designed the Dopant for the tv series and it is supervised by one of the series' original producer, Hideaki Tsukada. Thats probably why the style and aesthetic are very consistent with the original series.

Futo tantei is both and awesome sequel, while also adding many details to the original series. I love all the callbacks and the clearing of some of the plot hole of the original series, such as the one involving Skull's death. We also found out what the special power of the Joker and Skull memory. And some surprising revelation about Shroud's original intention for Double. Seeing how the supporting cast of W is doing right now is also another bonus. Was pretty sad to see the scanlation stop, but thankfully my nihongo lessons finally get to be useful, now I can just read the raws. Futo Tantei is honestly in the top 3 among the mangas I'm following, can't wait every time a new chapter comes out.

Last edited by iko_uwais; 2019-09-15 at 05:50.
Old 2019-09-15, 08:53   Link #3073
justavisitor

Finally the op is here:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

A big no at 0:28...looking around the internet, and seems like Izu is quickly becoming a fan favourite. Hope she will be alright XD.
Old 2019-09-15, 19:23   Link #3074
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by iko_uwais View Post
I grew up during the Heisei phase 1 era myself, and believe me, that era wasn't perfect. There's a reason I still prefer Ex-Aid and Build to Kabuto, Faiz, or Kiva. Inoue and his "protege" Shoji Yonemura are pretty much the walking poster boy of the negative sides of Heisei phase 1 for me. I'm also one of those who don't care about merchandise, as long as the story is good, I don't care if the Rider uses underwear to transform.
I didn't say OG Heisei (particularly from Kuuga to Den-O) was perfect or anything like that. It's just better than Neo-Heisei & had more innovative concept & story for me. And like many Japanese audience, I don't have that much of a problem with 555 story. It kinda reminds me of Long Vacation but with Kamen Riders & monsters.

Also, is nobody here getting tired of the voice-over whenever a transformation or tools get activated? It becomes more and more ridiculous as of late. And when multiple Riders activating it at the same time and all of those voice-overs also play at the same time, that's when you realize that the coolness of the concept has been run into the ground since Ryuki invented it. At this point, a KR show that has no voice-over at all will be considered revolutionary.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2019-09-15 at 19:36.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-15, 22:33   Link #3075
iko_uwais

^yeah, I guess the tv series was at least interesting, in some ways. Inoue generally has some interesting concepts, even if badly executed.
But the problem with Inoue when not writing for tv or have bigger freedom, is that he always dials up his worst tendecies up to eleven. He turns Kusaka from a jerkass in the tv series into a monster worse than any orphenochs in the novel. Swordgai was good when it was a manga, since he has collaborators who reigns him in. When it got adapted into anime, he wrote the script himself and it turns into a mess. Seriously, swordgai is one of the worst netflix anime I've seen, on the same level as hero mask or 7 seeds. Hopefully with kouhei murakami collaborating, maybe it wouldnt be so bad. Won't get my hopes up though. Well, at least the artwork is good
Old 2019-09-16, 16:35   Link #3076
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

Also, is nobody here getting tired of the voice-over whenever a transformation or tools get activated? It becomes more and more ridiculous as of late. And when multiple Riders activating it at the same time and all of those voice-overs also play at the same time, that's when you realize that the coolness of the concept has been run into the ground since Ryuki invented it. At this point, a KR show that has no voice-over at all will be considered revolutionary.
I have no problem with zero-one's sound effect. A jump to the sky turns to a rider kick is actually pretty cool to me but I know how you feel. Just like how I can't stand ooo or ghost's sound effect. Realistically, nowadays if you buy a dx belt from them and it comes out muted, you will probably feel cheated Not to mention many people try to unlock the sound effect so they can know the rider's upgraded form in advance, so it can't be helped.

But the sound effect imo also limits the story choice somewhat. Imagine Kuuga was created in 2019, somebody back in the days of ancient linto era would have to record the sound effect like: "@#$ @#$ @#$#@$@# Kuuga!!"

If we use Agito as an example, then the only one who could record the sound would have to be the overlord of light itself-->"Agito, my children, kick my brother's Axx!!!" <--It may have helped to unlock the mystery faster actually

I have no idea how the sound effect would come to play to Kuuga or Agito should they remake those two in 2019 . Who knows, but that may be the reason now we have no more of the warriors from the ancient times
Old 2019-09-16, 18:26   Link #3077
B214

Maybe they'll just play the Kuuga and Agito theme.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-16, 18:35   Link #3078
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The sound effects are a staple of the franchise that will never go away. Even Amazons, which tried to set a different tone, still used them albeit they weren't as overbearing. Honestly, I wouldn't want them to disappear, but I wouldn't mind if they toned them down a bit.

Back to Zero One, I enjoyed Valkyrie's debut this week. Her character is also intriguing.
Old 2019-09-16, 19:51   Link #3079
iko_uwais

I wonder if the person Yua is reporting has some connection to Kamen Rider Thouzer.
Old 2019-09-17, 01:47   Link #3080
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

To be honest, at first. I like SFX for henshin and finisher for neo heisei until it become too much for me to handle and made skipped it...

Tags
henshin, kamen rider, tokusatsu