Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-12, 18:38   Link #1
Killerattacks

Rod tv is not DVD's Rod tv

This is something a raw provider I know showed me:

ROD-TV. TV Cap:

ROD-TV. DVD Source:

Well, I was really surprised. And he told me, that almost every scene has differences like that. But I have no other scenes here...
Did you know that there are differences between the TV versions of anime which air and the commercial DVD versions? What do you think?
Old 2004-04-12, 18:53   Link #2
SimplyEd
Claytard

Well, that would be another pro-argument for buying DVD's but what i want to know: is there at any point completely new footage? Or are all of them existing scenes that seem to have a work-over?
Old 2004-04-12, 19:03   Link #3
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

The version aired on tv [ppv?] was a "beta".
The DVD-versions are released a while after they air on TV, In sets of two I believe?
Old 2004-04-12, 19:05   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

The animation was redone into a higher quality for the DVDs. Escentually, the DVDs are the REAL R.O.D. -The TV-.
Old 2004-04-12, 19:09   Link #5
Secca
nya`
*Artist

The OVA was really high quality too, I'm not surprised if they remake the TV live up to the OVA standard.
Old 2004-04-12, 19:49   Link #6
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

yes it's already well known. There is a site that had the different versions for almost every episode. it aired on two different stations and there were some interesting differences between them. Although they don't seem to be such a big deal you wonder why there was the difference at all
Old 2004-04-12, 20:03   Link #7
Killerattacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
yes it's already well known. There is a site that had the different versions for almost every episode. it aired on two different stations and there were some interesting differences between them. Although they don't seem to be such a big deal you wonder why there was the difference at all
Could you please post the url of this site? thanks
Old 2004-04-12, 20:27   Link #8
BanditKing

There are alot of anime that has be upgrade after airing on tv.The two that on my mind right now is Gravion and Stelliva which has improve artwork.

here are some more that I found

Ikkitousen - Some minor redraws in the panty shots, some shots changed a bit, a brief flash of nipples where there wasn't any.

Goddanar - Some redrawn/colored sequence, characters in ending are now nekkid.

Sister Princess - Low quality scenes redrawn

Green Green - (unconfirmed) blurs over the croch in some scenes are removed, or smaller (the character dvds show these scenes with less mosaic)

Lime-iro Senkitan - Extended scenes with non-explicit sexual content, some panties removed in other scenes.

Happy Lesson Advance - Extended fanservice scenes

of course this is not the complete list but you get the idea.
Old 2004-04-12, 21:21   Link #9
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
The practice of just redrawing scenes like was noted above with RoD TV isn't uncommon. Stellvia has many scenes, Gravion too, where entire sequences were redrawn with higher quality animation.

It's an odd but common practice these days, but it definitely makes the DVDs a more worthwhile purchase.

Technically, there's 3 versions of RoD TV:

Satellite - featuring lower quality animation in points
Fuji TV - Some scenes improved but censored
DVD - more improved scenes and uncensored
Old 2004-04-12, 21:23   Link #10
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditKing
There are alot of anime that has be upgrade after airing on tv.The two that on my mind right now is Gravion and Stelliva which has improve artwork.

here are some more that I found

Ikkitousen - Some minor redraws in the panty shots, some shots changed a bit, a brief flash of nipples where there wasn't any.

Goddanar - Some redrawn/colored sequence, characters in ending are now nekkid.

Sister Princess - Low quality scenes redrawn

Green Green - (unconfirmed) blurs over the croch in some scenes are removed, or smaller (the character dvds show these scenes with less mosaic)

Lime-iro Senkitan - Extended scenes with non-explicit sexual content, some panties removed in other scenes.

Happy Lesson Advance - Extended fanservice scenes

of course this is not the complete list but you get the idea.
Heh, seems like the 'upgraded' versions just have more T&A service

I guess that's what sells though. I mean, what would be a better reason to buy a show you watched on TV again on DVD but to see more panty shots, nipples, naked chicks, and uncensored ecchiness in general. Heh
Old 2004-04-13, 08:09   Link #11
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rogers
Heh, seems like the 'upgraded' versions just have more T&A service

I guess that's what sells though. I mean, what would be a better reason to buy a show you watched on TV again on DVD but to see more panty shots, nipples, naked chicks, and uncensored ecchiness in general. Heh
Funny I just notice that

but yeah that is kinda true just think what the japanese would do to make you buy the DVD.

but of course as I say it not the whole list so there are other that have upgrade artwork and stuff.
Old 2004-04-13, 12:38   Link #12
MrMonkey
Meeeeeeee!!

This being one of the reasons that I'm definately buying the DVD's of this show :P
Old 2004-04-13, 12:56   Link #13
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I think the important point is the question:

"Will the R1 DVDs use the LQ version of the series or the HQ version?"
Old 2004-04-13, 12:58   Link #14
spav
Wavemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper

I would hope the HQ version. At least that would make the most sense.
Old 2004-04-13, 14:09   Link #15
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper

well I read alot of ADV press release about licensed series and most of them are stated as home release but I don't know about Geneon and Bandai since they don't do press release anymore.

But there are company that licensed the tv version
One example of a show that licensed only the tv version is His and Her Circumstances. Right Stuf say that Gainax won't let them have the dvd version or so they said.
Old 2004-04-13, 16:23   Link #16
suires
たこ焼き名人

I don't really know about the picture quality but i really hate the R1 release when they did not put correct Japanese voice credits. I am a big fan of anime voice actor and actress. This really pissed me off.
Old 2004-04-13, 17:41   Link #17
BanditKing

Someone at AoD is trying to ask Geneon which version of stellvia did they get but here is an quick example of the different between the two.

Old 2004-04-13, 18:13   Link #18
bluemist
i am the mist

Interesting, makes one wanna buy the DVD even more.
Old 2004-04-13, 18:58   Link #19
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

For clarification of all anime released on TVs versus anime released on DVD/VHS and how the process works:

1. Anime is made on a very tight schedule. Many times, the anime douga process would be completed just hours before the anime is scheduled to be aired. Go watch "Animation Runner Kuromi-chan" to get a good idea of this. The anime genga studio[s] responsible for that episode must get it finished by the airing deadline at whatever cost!!! This means that if it is between doing all the minor details versus getting it aired on time, they will forego those details for the moment. This is one of the jobs of the animators - the seisaku desk - who decides which details they would forego to get the anime scheduled on time.

2. Hence, what you see on TV will not be the same as what is seen on DVD. The DVD parts will be retouched and details added that they chose not to do in order to meet the deadline.

So to recap for "R.O.D the TV"

1. First airs on PPV CS satellite - since it is PPV, no scenes censored (nudity, etc), but since it is first airing, quality would be low as animators need to meet this deadline
2. Second airing on FujiTV one month later - since it is aired on regular VHF airwaves, some scenes will be censored (nudity, etc), but since the animators have another month retouch the previous airing on PPV, the quality would be higher
3. DVD version - all finalized retouches will be made as it is a commercial release, and all scenes will be uncensored as it was on the original PPV airing.
Old 2004-04-13, 19:30   Link #20
Haunted
Not Fruity at all!

very informative post, although Animation Runner Kuromi-chan may have exaggerated a bit about the deadlines and its effect on the employees .

Of yourse you're right, all anime tv series are made on a really tight schedule, often entering the "animate it!" stage only 2 or 3 weeks before the actual airing.
Closed Thread