AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-03-08, 22:07   Link #21
Knightmare213

Alright, I won't argue that the Persians were seen as the bad guys in the movie, the comic book, etc. because the entire Greco-Persian War started because the Persians wanted more land. Now, the reason of wanting more land could be disputed with two major reasons:

1. The Persians wanted to unify the entire earth, therefore eliminating war between nations (but is not having a war at all possible?).
2. The Persians wanted more land because they felt the need to (if they followed this reason, they would be the bad guys).

Also, how Frank Miller physically portrayed the Persians in the comic book, and how they are portrayed in the movie, may be highly inaccurate. According to the historians, the Persian civilization was highly advanced (as much as the Greeks and the Romans, or more) during those times thanks to King Xerxes' father, King Darius. I'm probably sure that F. Miller wanted to portray the Persians as the bad guys. That's probably why he drew them in a way so that it would disgust the readers when they see how barbaric the Persians are in the comic book.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 22:12   Link #22
aFlipGuy
Master

Send a message via AIM to aFlipGuy
well either way, you wont be dissapointed w/ the movie. fighting scenes were done really well....man i'd definately watch it again
aFlipGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 22:28   Link #23
Knightmare213

I never said that I will be, did I? I had never been excited about a single movie since LOTR: The Return of the King.

How the movie was produced is quite amazing. While the actors and extras were forced to fight each other (all make-believe acting and choreographing, of course) while they were in either a blue or green background. It would've been tough for the actors, but it would have been another challenge that the actors had to pull through to make a kick-ass movie.
Old 2007-03-08, 22:31   Link #24
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare213 View Post
Also, how Frank Miller physically portrayed the Persians in the comic book, and how they are portrayed in the movie, may be highly inaccurate. According to the historians, the Persian civilization was highly advanced (as much as the Greeks and the Romans, or more) during those times thanks to King Xerxes' father, King Darius. I'm probably sure that F. Miller wanted to portray the Persians as the bad guys. That's probably why he drew them in a way so that it would disgust the readers when they see how barbaric the Persians are in the comic book.
Spoiler for it all gets spoilers now:

And I found out the IMAX in Dallas actually has seats for the Sunday showing. I can't decide if I want to watch it tomorrow night or wait for Sunday in the IMAX.

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-09, 00:19   Link #25
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Seeing it at midnight. I dont think i could wait, because someone else would probably spoil it for me. IMAX is nice, but the difference to me isnt that great from the theaters we have near me.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 03:56   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Misrepresenting the enemy is an old tool..... The Romans did a serious whack job propaganda rush on the Kelts when they were expanding and consolidating their lands. Makes sense from a Greek view to portray the Persians as scary people --

ultimate spoiler: the source battle happened thousands of years ago... everyone is dead.
Old 2007-03-09, 08:04   Link #27
Kensuke

I was excited when I first heard that the Battle of Thermopylae is going to filmed, I was expecting some historical drama what I love, like Gladiator, Troy or Kingdom of Heaven, and that battle offers a plenty of that. But to make that to somekind of popcorn movie is just...
Well, it won't come here until April, so maybe I will go to see it. I should just forgot the history and enjoy the ride.

I knew how Troy and Kingdom of Heaven were going to end, so it is not that important, I went to see those because I wanted to see how the events are portrayed.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 13:05   Link #28
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Misrepresenting the enemy is an old tool..... The Romans did a serious whack job propaganda rush on the Kelts when they were expanding and consolidating their lands. Makes sense from a Greek view to portray the Persians as scary people --

ultimate spoiler: the source battle happened thousands of years ago... everyone is dead.
I believe it's spelled "Celts".

Anyway, like you said, this movie is just Herodotus/Miller's artistic portrayal of the battle and nothing else. It's supposed to be faithful to the "artistically exaggerated" graphic novel, not the historical event itself, and I would be going to watch this movie from this perspective, and not from a history buff perspective, which I did when watching Kingdom of Heaven.

More Sparta trivia: Spartans live and die by their shields. Before they go off to battle, each warrior's wife would personally hand their husband their shields and say, "You return with this, or you return (dead) on this." Meaning they have to come back alive with the shield, or die in battle with their comrades carrying their body on the shield back to Sparta. Anyone who loses their shield is deemed an outcast.

Speaking of Spartans, when is the undead slashing Spartan from God of War going to return in the sequel?
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 14:01   Link #29
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Saw it, liked it, that is all.

My husband was grinning through half the movie

Just keep in mind it's a movie, not a documentary hehehe

I'm forced to watch enough of the History channel thanks to hubby.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 15:25   Link #30
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFlipGuy View Post
i saw the movie last saturday at a movie premiere =D

the action was done really well

as for the history part...i thought they didnt do a bad job since most of it were true.

Spoiler:

i thought they were pretty accurate w/ historical events.

i really dont wanna say more because it would suck if i gave it away.

has anyone read Gates of Fire? it was about the 300 spartans at thermopylea...the story is prolly more accurate than the movie 300 when it came to historical facts but if you love the movie, i suggest you pick up the book also for more spartan action =D
I have! Many times. It's one of my favs. Can't wait to see this movie. And I know for a fact I'm going to think I am a Spartan for a good couple of days afterwards. lol
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 19:15   Link #31
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

That so got me God of War pumped.
I really wish they had more fighting in it is my major compliant. They jumped around to much and mushed too much together.
Old 2007-03-09, 19:57   Link #32
Jiji
*Scanlator

I am really confused by all the people in this thread talking about how this movie or the books or other movies are "inaccurate". How do you know? There is no reliable historical source for the events. This movie could very well be exactly accurate. (Okay, probably not, but you see my point.) I've read a good portion of the historical sources surrounding the Battle, and I'm personally fairly impressed with Miller's devotion to the widely-accepted historical sources. I'm just saying, don't throw around words like "accurate" or "inaccurate" when they're meaningless.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 20:32   Link #33
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
I am really confused by all the people in this thread talking about how this movie or the books or other movies are "inaccurate". How do you know? There is no reliable historical source for the events. This movie could very well be exactly accurate. (Okay, probably not, but you see my point.) I've read a good portion of the historical sources surrounding the Battle, and I'm personally fairly impressed with Miller's devotion to the widely-accepted historical sources. I'm just saying, don't throw around words like "accurate" or "inaccurate" when they're meaningless.
Well, there's a limit to what may be possible... and that's maybe what many historians think. It's been stated before in the thread about how enlarged the numbers could be done by the post-battle. History is written by the winners . If the Spartan king said 300 Spartans beat a million Persians, it'd have a much bigger political impact than saying 300 Spartan plus 7,000 Greek reinforcements beat 200,000 Persians... you get what I mean.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 20:53   Link #34
Knightmare213

Quote:
I am really confused by all the people in this thread talking about how this movie or the books or other movies are "inaccurate". I'm just saying, don't throw around words like "accurate" or "inaccurate" when they're meaningless.
Of course, remembering the events that occurred about 2,000 years ago can be hard and very difficult to confirm whether it is true or not. There's always a possibility that the Battle never had taken place or it could have been taken with 600 Spartans and 250,000 Persians only. In other words, we really aren't sure.

However, only thing we can trust is the analysis of the archaeologists' and the historians'. Why? Because they studied various texts, translated them best they could and came to a conclusion that can always be wronged at any time. Like I said, the Battle may never have taken place. It may have been some kind of a proto-form of a propaganda to rouse the Greeks to fight the invading Persians.

One of the examples where the historians came to a wrong conclusion is when most of the world believed that the Parthenon was a temple for worship. However, newest conclusion countered the older one by saying that the Parthenon was more of a treasury. Discussions like this thins the line between historical accuracy and inaccuracy.
Old 2007-03-09, 21:04   Link #35
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
And I found out the IMAX in Dallas actually has seats for the Sunday showing. I can't decide if I want to watch it tomorrow night or wait for Sunday in the IMAX.
IMAX! IMAX!! IMAX!!! The blood, the gore, the flying body parts, the exaggeration of it all that electrifies the forever young shounen heart... it can't be experienced in a puny screen with puny sound. King Leonites is a hard ass, and he isn't hesitant to show it. Talk about visual. The soundtrack is so awesome, and if you mix it with those dialogues, you concoct something that spell pure entertainment. IMAX man, IMAX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
Spoiler:
It's there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay
I have! Many times. It's one of my favs. Can't wait to see this movie. And I know for a fact I'm going to think I am a Spartan for a good couple of days afterwards. lol
hehe.. well, in that case, I claim seniority. I'm your senpai-Spartan, and don't you forget it after you get high.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 22:05   Link #36
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
IMAX! IMAX!! IMAX!!! The blood, the gore, the flying body parts, the exaggeration of it all that electrifies the forever young shounen heart... it can't be experienced in a puny screen with puny sound. King Leonites is a hard ass, and he isn't hesitant to show it. Talk about visual. The soundtrack is so awesome, and if you mix it with those dialogues, you concoct something that spell pure entertainment. IMAX man, IMAX!
I couldn't wait any more - a friend and I went to see it on one of the giant AMC digital screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It's there!
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-09, 23:12   Link #37
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I couldn't see it all of the time slots were out so none for me. I couldn't believe how popular this movie was gonna be.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-10, 12:25   Link #38
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Seen it and read the comics so I already knew what was gonna happen. I actually had to prepurchase the tickets. A lot of people watching the movie when I went.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 17:34   Link #39
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I thought it was very good, except for the few inaccuracies that happened for the sake of cinematography. Forexample, their lack of armor.

(Damn, those guys were ripped though, and none of it was computer generated---that's right, it was all real!)
Old 2007-03-11, 17:46   Link #40
jedinat

Saw it las night and thought it was okay... I mean, the battle scenes were awesome but there was little substance. (the entire movie gave the impression of a video game cut scene... albeit a very good one)
I was a bit disappointed that the abomination with cleaver arms wasn't sent into battle
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote