AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-18, 12:25   Link #33301
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Is Shane Smith the next Rupert Murdoch?

He looks like a cool dude and adventurous like Richard Branson.
Old 2014-03-19, 13:48   Link #33302
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
A statue in Milan's celebrated Brera Academy was found on Tuesday without a leg, with the damage thought to be the handiwork of a foreign student trying to take a photograph of himself with the "Drunk Satyr" sculpture. Staff at the Brera Academy discovered the damaged statue on Tuesday morning, with its plaster cast and terracotta leg in pieces on the gallery floor.
According to witnesses, it was broken when a foreign student climbed atop to take a “selfie” photograph of himself, Corriere della Sera reported. But with no CCTV footage of the incident, staff at the Academy are unable to track down the culprit.
The “Drunken Satyr” statue is a 19th-century copy of an Ancient Greek model, discovered in Rome’s Castel Sant’Angelo around 400 years ago, Corriere said.

http://www.thelocal.it/20140319/stud...aking-a-selfie

this is why the public isn't allow to see the originals.
Old 2014-03-20, 01:05   Link #33303
AnimeFan188

What Pakistan Knew About Bin Laden:

"As I toured the bomb sites and battlegrounds of the Taliban resurgence, Afghans
kept telling me the same thing: The organizers of the insurgency were in Pakistan,
specifically in the western district of Quetta. Police investigators were finding that
many of the bombers, too, were coming from Pakistan."

"the strategy that has evolved in Pakistan has been to make a show of cooperation
with the American fight against terrorism while covertly abetting and even
coordinating Taliban, Kashmiri and foreign Qaeda-linked militants."

See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/ma...er=rss&emc=rss

The Pakistanis, such wonderful frenemies ...
Old 2014-03-20, 01:24   Link #33304
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
I will never understand how Pakistan and Saudi Arabia ended up becoming American allies. I know the Cold War is to blame, but still, it is rather bizarre all the same.
Old 2014-03-20, 04:02   Link #33305
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I will never understand how Pakistan and Saudi Arabia ended up becoming American allies. I know the Cold War is to blame, but still, it is rather bizarre all the same.
Where's the surprise?

In Saudi Arabia, the American interests are crystal clear. Correction - they are black. The Saudi Royal Family is interested in the protection the Americans give in return. With sufficient Husseins and Assads around AND the real chance to have SA end up like Iran (where the Shah got toppled by Khomeini and his islamists), having American military power backing you is most welcome. Remember where the Americans were staging their troops for Desert Shield/Storm?

With Pakistan, it indeed was mostly Cold War initially. India was aligned along the Soviet Union, and Pakistan were their mortal enemies. Good place to buy yourself into - those in power in Islamabad got richer, and the Americans had a base of operations for supplying Afghanistan (against the Russians here, oh the irony). Now Pakistan is still taking the bribes while sheltering the Taliban. Yay.
Old 2014-03-20, 11:39   Link #33306
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
What Pakistan Knew About Bin Laden:

"As I toured the bomb sites and battlegrounds of the Taliban resurgence, Afghans
kept telling me the same thing: The organizers of the insurgency were in Pakistan,
specifically in the western district of Quetta. Police investigators were finding that
many of the bombers, too, were coming from Pakistan."

"the strategy that has evolved in Pakistan has been to make a show of cooperation
with the American fight against terrorism while covertly abetting and even
coordinating Taliban, Kashmiri and foreign Qaeda-linked militants."

See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/ma...er=rss&emc=rss

like anyone who has been paying attention is surprise that part of the Pakistan is in bed with the taliban.
Old 2014-03-20, 11:58   Link #33307
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

So, Fred Phelps Sr. is dead.

http://ksn.com/2014/03/20/founder-of...helps-sr-dies/

Little less evil in the world.
Old 2014-03-20, 17:33   Link #33308
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

^^^

I went to Huffington Post, which reports a lot on that hateful cult, and I wanted to see what they'd write in an article and I wanted to see what the comment section would be like. I expected people to show their ugly sides in the comment section. To my surprise, I saw people commenting with a loving tone. I read about 30-40 comments and no one was hateful. People were saying if they were hateful, they'd be no different then him and his followers. Anyways, straight, gay, and bi people were not condemning him and discouraging others from hating him, and my heart was very soft at the way people were loving an enemy rather than hating him, and I read a comment saying something like "May you have in the afterlife the peace you could not find in this world. Love, A Lesbian" and I saw other gay and bi people write the same kind of thing or similar things and then I actually got a bit teary eyed to see these people; gay, bi, and straight, have love for such a terrible person. I expected a comment section filled with hate and vile regards and sentiments, and instead I found people, with an element of pity, express love for such a bad person and their love struck me as beautiful.
Old 2014-03-20, 17:39   Link #33309
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Fun fact: before taking up the cause of homophobia, he was a staunch civil rights advocate, fighting against racism and stuff.
Old 2014-03-20, 17:47   Link #33310
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Then something happened to make him go so very much into the wrong, because not only did he become the biggest anti-gay bigot in the world, the westboro church also had plenty of bad things to say about Jews and blacks (and I'm assuming all other non-whites).
Old 2014-03-20, 17:53   Link #33311
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Then something happened to make him go so very much into the wrong, because not only did he become the biggest anti-gay bigot in the world, the westboro church also had plenty of bad things to say about Jews and blacks (and I'm assuming all other non-whites).
his brother was gay.
Old 2014-03-20, 18:01   Link #33312
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'm hoping that the church he founded will start to go into decline now. I hope that in the years to follow, that church starts to dwindle and diminish.
Old 2014-03-21, 04:04   Link #33313
killer3000ad

Quote:
I'm hoping that the church he founded will start to go into decline now. I hope that in the years to follow, that church starts to dwindle and diminish.
It's been in decline for a while. Most of it originally consisted of family, and even they started to leave when they realized just how extreme and insane they were.
Old 2014-03-21, 04:36   Link #33314
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Not that easy. Has Facism and Nazy Parties vanished from this world?

Sometime, people needs something to focus their hatred and harshness that were culminated from their life.
Old 2014-03-21, 04:51   Link #33315
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
his brother was gay.
Now that's a harsh twist. Normally if a family member is gay, homophobes think about their ways. Maybe not renounce them entirely but at least they wouldn't become even more hard core with their hate.
Old 2014-03-21, 06:16   Link #33316
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libros View Post
Now that's a harsh twist. Normally if a family member is gay, homophobes think about their ways. Maybe not renounce them entirely but at least they wouldn't become even more hard core with their hate.
He was probably driven nuts.

How would you feel if the girl whom you requitedly loved was a fujoshi?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-03-21, 06:34   Link #33317
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

The Fujoshis I have the privilege of knowing, were all strictly worshipping 2D men. There might be other types, but frankly Fujoshis are not uninterested in being with men. They just have standards and expectations too. Just as "otaku" aren't going to settle with random women, no matter how lonely they are.
Old 2014-03-21, 08:08   Link #33318
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Be really really overjoyed

Quote:
The Fujoshis I have the privilege of knowing, were all strictly worshipping 2D men. There might be other types, but frankly Fujoshis are not uninterested in being with men. They just have standards and expectations too. Just as "otaku" aren't going to settle with random women, no matter how lonely they are.
Exactly
Old 2014-03-21, 09:19   Link #33319
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
^^^

I went to Huffington Post, which reports a lot on that hateful cult, and I wanted to see what they'd write in an article and I wanted to see what the comment section would be like. I expected people to show their ugly sides in the comment section. To my surprise, I saw people commenting with a loving tone. I read about 30-40 comments and no one was hateful. People were saying if they were hateful, they'd be no different then him and his followers. Anyways, straight, gay, and bi people were not condemning him and discouraging others from hating him, and my heart was very soft at the way people were loving an enemy rather than hating him, and I read a comment saying something like "May you have in the afterlife the peace you could not find in this world. Love, A Lesbian" and I saw other gay and bi people write the same kind of thing or similar things and then I actually got a bit teary eyed to see these people; gay, bi, and straight, have love for such a terrible person. I expected a comment section filled with hate and vile regards and sentiments, and instead I found people, with an element of pity, express love for such a bad person and their love struck me as beautiful.
I probably would have been one of the more hateful ones. When it comes to people like Fred Phelps...sympathy is located somewhere between shit and syphilis. Though I'm sure a lot of people wish they could, I'd like to be able to dive deep into the minds of these type of people and see what makes them tick.
Old 2014-03-21, 14:49   Link #33320
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
BEIJING — China has not held back in forcing the pace of the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. It has deployed 21 satellites and a flotilla of naval ships. It has dispatched investigators to Malaysia, run background checks on the Chinese passengers, and scoured radar images of its vast western regions. Every day it has cajoled, chided and criticized Malaysian officials.
And still it has come up empty-handed. Two weeks after the plane vanished on an overnight flight to Beijing, no trace of the Boeing 777 jet or the 239 people on board, two-thirds of whom are Chinese, has been found.
The painful process of working with Malaysia in searching for the airplane and investigating what went wrong in the early hours of March 8 has revealed the limits of China’s power, influence and technological and military might in the region, despite its rapid rise as a rival to the United States and American strategic dominance of the Western Pacific.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/wo...powers.html?hp

so instead of analyses how inept and clumsy Malaysia's response to this tragedy or the anguish of the family of the passengers. NYT decided to talk about the limit of Chinese power in dealing with the Malaysian government and taking shots at the Chinese public?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international