AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2010-03-26, 12:25   Link #1461
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
i just heard the dub version
good fucking lord, is it horrible
Old 2010-03-26, 13:44   Link #1462
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Wrong thead, dude. =P
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 15:25   Link #1463
Hakuoro917
Obsessed Anime Syndrome
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Hakuoro917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuoro917 View Post
Really? because i thought he would have probably been voiced by Greg Ayres
I was right all along, they released a box set that has English dubs, and Greg Ayres is Sunohara. ^_^
Hakuoro917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 04:52   Link #1464
mr not perfect

Talking help me

i'm a new fan of this anime... can anybody please tell me all the ep n the movie of this anime?
mr not perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 05:19   Link #1465
zette

There are two seasons, both animated by Kyoto Animation -- the first season consists of 22 episodes, one extra episode and an OVA; the second season, called Clannad ~After Story~, consists of 22 episodes as well, one extra episode, one recap and an OVA. Some sites may take the extra episodes and recap into account in the overall episode count, so the first and second season may sometimes be listed as having 23 and 24 episodes respectively.

There is also a movie animated by Toei Animation and its depiction of events is quite different from that in the series.
Old 2010-07-27, 05:37   Link #1466
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Don't watch the movie.

Watch the anime.

Do. Not. Watch. The. Movie.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 05:38   Link #1467
mr not perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
There are two seasons, both animated by Kyoto Animation -- the first season consists of 22 episodes, one extra episode and an OVA; the second season, called Clannad ~After Story~, consists of 22 episodes as well, one extra episode, one recap and an OVA. Some sites may take the extra episodes and recap into account in the overall episode count, so the first and second season may sometimes be listed as having 23 and 24 episodes respectively.

There is also a movie animated by Toei Animation and its depiction of events is quite different from that in the series.
you said that the events in the first clannad's movie is quite different from the series, what is the movie all about?
Old 2010-07-27, 05:39   Link #1468
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

THE MOVIE IS INCREDIBLY HORRIBLE.

Trust me, watch the anime first. Then you can watch the movie if you so wish, BUT WATCH THE ANIME FIRST.
Old 2010-07-27, 05:45   Link #1469
mr not perfect

haha, i watched the 1st season n i'm downloading it's movie rite now.. what is so horrible about the movie anyway?
Old 2010-07-27, 06:01   Link #1470
zette

I tried to adopt a neutral tone in that post so as to let you decide for yourself which one you want to watch first, but I have to agree with Khu here. Whatever you do, please watch the series before the movie. Not that the movie is bad or anything, but it's just incredibly rushed. I mean, Clannad is a long story after all and 90 minutes really isn't enough. As such, the characters and themes weren't developed as well as they were in the series, and in the end scenes that are meant to have an impact on the viewer turn out not to. Also, the series is just more faithful to the source material and KyoAni's animation quality is vastly superior to Toei's.
Old 2010-07-27, 06:07   Link #1471
mr not perfect

Talking

ok.. n thanks for the infos..
Old 2010-07-27, 06:16   Link #1472
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Yeah well Clannad's my favourite series and I don't want someone to view the retarded shit version before they saw the epic good version.
Old 2010-07-28, 14:56   Link #1473
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I actually rather adore the film adaptation. I like it for different reasons then kyoani's TV adaptation, and believe that both should be experienced. I'd say go with the TV series first though, because it's best not to be spoiled by the events that take place over the course of the two seasons.
Old 2010-07-28, 16:33   Link #1474
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The film's actually a good alternative if you weren't a big fan of the series (After Story in particular). The main thing that bogs its down is the visuals. It's too friggin bright and LENS FLARE!

But if you're a fan of the supporting cast, the tv series is the only choice.

If you really want, you can figure the movie as an alternate world which might even cause the grand narrative make more sense.

Spoiler for All of Clannad:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-07-29 at 17:37.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 14:59   Link #1475
Gibber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
The film's actually a good alternative if you weren't a big fan of the series (After Story in particular). The main thing that bogs its down is the visuals. It's too friggin bright and LENS FLARE!

But if you're a fan of the supporting cast, the tv series is the only choice.

If you really want, you can figure the movie as an alternate world which might even cause the grand narrative make more sense.

Spoiler for All of Clannad:
I do recommend not to look at that link though if you don't want to be spoiled about Tomoyo After.

Last edited by Gibber; 2010-07-29 at 21:30.
Gibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 17:32   Link #1476
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh great, I didn't even notice that tidbit at the end. Sorry about that.

I'll edit out the link and summarizing it instead.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 23:05   Link #1477
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
As such, the characters and themes weren't developed as well as they were in the series, and in the end scenes that are meant to have an impact on the viewer turn out not to.
You're right, but in a different way: the events in the movie can only have a full impact on the people who have watched the series. For instance, in the anime series, Tomoya's father is portrayed mostly as a worthless slob, so it's nice to see that he's working, making an active effort to improve his relationship with his son, and
Spoiler:

There's a lot more to it than that, but all of these quirks made me enjoy the movie much more than I probably should have.

Quote:
That's exactly what it is, actually. A lot of characters had their roles changed and some of the plot devices used in the movie weren't present in the series.

Spoiler:

@mr. np: I'm going to chime in my two cents here: the movie isn't bad at all. It's different, and I suppose a lot of people are so attached to their ideal picture of Clannad that seeing this adaptation was far too off-putting for them. It's still a good story, and a heartwarming experience, regardless of its relevance to the original source material. I think it stands on its own as a great movie, but doesn't quite live up to the expectations set by the original series we all know and love. Understandable, though, since it's a 90-minute crunched adaptation.

If you wouldn't watch it for anything else, watch it for Nagisa. Remember how she basically needed to be coddled into doing everything in the original series? Well, here, she's actually way better at everything and probably would have started both the drama club and the play without anyone's help. I would have rather seen this portrayal of her in the original series.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 01:28   Link #1478
zette

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
You're right, but in a different way: the events in the movie can only have a full impact on the people who have watched the series. For instance, in the anime series, Tomoya's father is portrayed mostly as a worthless slob, so it's nice to see that he's working, making an active effort to improve his relationship with his son, and
Spoiler:

There's a lot more to it than that, but all of these quirks made me enjoy the movie much more than I probably should have.
I can understand that, but remember that the movie came before the series and as such it should be able to stand on its own as a good adaptation. It's not like say, the recent Disappearance of Haruhi film where yes, one's enjoyment of the film is dependent on whether or not they have watched the series.

Quote:
@mr. np: I'm going to chime in my two cents here: the movie isn't bad at all. It's different, and I suppose a lot of people are so attached to their ideal picture of Clannad that seeing this adaptation was far too off-putting for them. It's still a good story, and a heartwarming experience, regardless of its relevance to the original source material. I think it stands on its own as a great movie, but doesn't quite live up to the expectations set by the original series we all know and love. Understandable, though, since it's a 90-minute crunched adaptation.
I don't think the movie is bad, but yeah I am probably too attached to my ideal picture of Clannad. If the series didn't exist, I would probably view the movie as an excellent piece of work but since it does, it is inevitable that the two would be compared.
Old 2010-08-01, 21:51   Link #1479
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
I can understand that, but remember that the movie came before the series and as such it should be able to stand on its own as a good adaptation.
Actually, I completely forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

My point still stands, though; a lot of the movie's charm comes from how different the interpretation is from the anime series. If I would have seen all of the Clannad media in the order it were released, most of those subtle nuances would have be lost on me.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 19:11   Link #1480
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
My point still stands, though; a lot of the movie's charm comes from how different the interpretation is from the anime series. If I would have seen all of the Clannad media in the order it were released, most of those subtle nuances would have be lost on me.
While personally I'm not exactly fond of the movie, I can respect the idea of watching it just for the different interpretation of the plot. Although after watching the TV series, the movie really feels like a cheap rendition of the series quality-wise. The animation, the voice acting are some significant examples that stick out more from what I remember (I won't get into drawing style since that's more subjective than objective.)

One of the biggest problems the movie had was the voice acting when I watched the movie, and it had a bigger impact on me than I thought it would. Tomoya was the biggest disappointment, after hearing what Yuuichi Nakamura did with Tomoya, the VA from the movie just couldn't live up to my expectations or do the role any justice. I did try to give it a chance but the acting for Tomoya is an essential aspect for the character and it greatly effected my viewing of the movie.

The acting itself applies too all the characters of course, even Mai Nakahara was greatly improved from the time she voiced Nagisa in the movie.

But all in all, any Clannad fan should watch the movie, if anything specifically for the distinctions of the plot. The direction is certainly different, which makes it interesting to say the least.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen