AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-08-22, 16:12   Link #501
Arya

Indeed that was quite odd how Kakeru also didn't stepped into the art room (the fact that he said he want to go there in the preview makes it more suspicious). And then that ominous vision of the kiss.
Talking about Touko visions apparently they are quite normal when her friends are involved but they turn against her when she or Kakeru are in. Kakeru falling into the Escher paint, then the crows flying against Touko (did I miss the insects?) and the totally shadowed figure of Kakeru kissing her could be all seen, more or less, as her peculiar artistic way to express her anxiety and fears about something new as love for a person she feels to not know (I'm referring to the three kakeru). But the breaking glass was specifically addressed to herself, she was alone and she saw herself mirrored in the glass when the vision started. And that doesn't add up much.

And after reading Triple_r considerations about how all the relationships are not ambiguous I noted as basically all the loves so far are unrequited, Yana loves Yuki, Yuki loves Touko, Hiro loves Sachi and probably Sachi loves Touko (not sure yet, but maybe). The only one relationship that is somehow progressing is Touko and Kakeru. But even in this case the relationship as a whole is portrayed oddly (at least for me) and the progression is going in a direction as oddly as its portrayal, or better, far more oddly considering the ominous visions. Add to this that all went south the moment Touko declared the end of their also odd rule about not dating each other. Was there a particular reason to have such a rule or were they just particularly cautious, but also aware of the matter? Or just because they were 5, an odd number?
So it's like from whatever angle you look at love it doesn't shine much. But I'm not sure if it is intentional.
Yeah, I'm confused as always with this series.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 17:05   Link #502
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Episode 8: You can (not) stay attractive

So following from the last episode Touko's visions are getting more and more intense. I wonder if it's something the're putting into the chicken? We also see their group fracturing apart; before it was merely just simmering, but now everyone's moving apart. The problem is that there's even greater things at stake.

Yep, and by the way last episode I was a total asshole.
Oh me too!

I think the biggest problem for Glasslip is that the story took itself establishing the crew as friends for granted. A lot of times the interactions feel so unnatural, and other times it's like they're just going around explaining the plot to each other. I think Glasslip did set up the atmosphere of leading to inevitable loss and pain pretty well; I mean it sucks for friends to drift apart due to avoidable factors, but it does feel like they just hang out together a lot and that's all they have together outside of episode 1 and maybe 3. Well, except for whatever the heck Sachi feels for Touko...

It was a vision of our script falling apart... Wait, that wouldn't be in the future would it?

But while the story has stuck itself in this ominous insuations, episode 8 puts everything at stake as Touko's visions get intense and more scarier. And this episode took a huge leap into a future that can't be pretty at all.

Yea, clothes are too much of a bother

There's also that random Yanagi scene where distraught over Yuki's disappearing has fallen into a state of depression and doesn't care enough to put clothes on. Although she does bother to put them on when running. I initially thought this was a pointless nude scene and it probably was and was like "hmmph art/budget suck for this kind of shit" but I actually don't think fanservice was the point of the scene at all (though we get the swimsuit window facing brigade again for that); it's just nudity because of nudity, but that's fine since PA works going for erotic shit tends to end in disaster anyways. Anyhow, with Yuki on his mind, she tries to run it off.

I have to do everything in this show, hmmph!

Meanwhile, Dahvid in a sudden state of lucidy tells Touko to spill the beans about everything, because well, you idiots are friends. I think...

Listen you can't drag this show on forever!
Ehhhh?

People will turn off the screen if we keep this shit up.
They haven't already?
Nope, we can get a kiss scene in I think

But sucks to be them, as Touko receives one more vision

Oh no, the show's going to run out of color soon! And all this snow, are we actually in a Key ripoff script or something?
Have you found the secret of the world?
Someone's gonna die for dramatic appeal aren't they?
Now, now. None of our female characters have made repetitious stupid noises.... yet
Ehhhhhh?

A decent episode that had some bizzare pacing and really bad use of stills, but I think it's put itself in position for some dramatic happenings. Touko's drug trips remain the best part of the episode.

Oh yea, Hiro!
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-08-22 at 17:16.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 17:56   Link #503
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

are we still calling these "future visions?" its pretty obvious its what that person is feeling/thinking at that moment.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 18:32   Link #504
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
are we still calling these "future visions?" its pretty obvious its what that person is feeling/thinking at that moment.
No, that's not "pretty obvious". Your idea is possible, but it's also quite possible that it's more than that.

And there are reasons to think that these visions could be premonitions.

1. David and Touko themselves tend to treat them as fragmentary images of the future. Could the characters be wrong? Sure, that's possible. It's not obvious, though. If the major characters approach something a specific way, then that specific way should be considered at least a possibility unless it's shown to be impossible.

2. Some of these visions - Namely, the smaller and less grandiose earlier ones - Did in fact end up happening in real life. This includes Touko seeing Sachi in hospital, and Touko having a vision of herself saying a specific line that she in fact would end up saying later on. Is it possible that this is mere coincidence? Sure, but it's also possible it's not. Especially when it comes to fiction, which ties into a later point I'll be making.

3. As Irenesharda, Arya, and I pointed out, there seems to be a certain pattern to the images. The last five visions have all been rather ominous and disturbing. Now, does this prove that the visions are premonitions? No, but if they were more random and varied in tone, then the idea of them being premonitions wouldn't fit as well given inconsistency. "Premonitions strongly suggesting ominous events on the horizon" is a perfectly viable idea to go with as it pertains to these visions. Especially since...

4. This is fiction. Anime fiction at that. It's not at all uncommon for anime shows to have actual supernatural elements. And this isn't even strictly contained within sci-fi and horror and fantasy shows, as I can think of some anime shows that are neither of those three genres yet have supernatural elements. Regardless of how skeptical or not a viewer may be of the idea of real life people having premonitions, that's not really a factor here. A writer can have whatever supernatural elements that s/he wants to have in his/her works, and Glasslip is no exception.
Old 2014-08-22, 20:35   Link #505
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
That must be some strong drugs David is passing around.

Suppose it could just be a more fancy way of showing how they feel, but I sure hope not, because that would just remove the only major thing interesting about the show. Furthermore, the imagery's intensity I feel goes beyond petty squabbles behind friends (David falling into an abyss has little to do with how Touko feels, I'd say). There's also Touko's small wish in episode one that hopes that no matter what happens, her future self will fix it all. I mean it doesn't have to be taken literally, but I just hope there's more to it then what's been shown.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 20:44   Link #506
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Suppose it could just be a more fancy way of showing how they feel, but I sure hope not, because that would just remove the only major thing interesting about the show.
Agreed. If this is all just a fancy way of showing how they feel, then that will honestly seem pretty lame to me given how much it's been focused on and built up over the past two episodes.

Strong drugs indeed...
Old 2014-08-22, 21:53   Link #507
Thess

Love chart up episode 6.

Sachi likes Touko
Yukinari likes Touko (heartbreak)
Yanagi likes Yukinari (heartbreak)
Hiro likes Sachi
Kakeru and Touko possibly like each other.

Sachi's feelings are romantic.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 22:04   Link #508
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Love chart up episode 6.

Sachi likes Touko
Yukinari likes Touko (heartbreak)
Yanagi likes Yukinari (heartbreak)
Hiro likes Sachi
Kakeru and Touko possibly like each other.

Sachi's feelings are romantic.
wow, that's official?
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 23:26   Link #509
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Why the hell was Beethoven's Pathetique sonata (movement 2) being played during that scene where Yukinari was walking around naked. Pretentious much?
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 23:43   Link #510
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Why the hell was Beethoven's Pathetique sonata (movement 2) being played during that scene where Yukinari was walking around naked. Pretentious much?
Yukinari walked around naked too? Is this a thing now?
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 23:46   Link #511
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i actually don't think any of the premonitions have come true. we haven't had a scene for scene replication of any of them. david falling is what he was feeling at that time when they were talking. and sachi in the hospital was probably her thinking, oh, i'm going to be in the hospital and sad because of it.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2014-08-23, 00:01   Link #512
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I meant Yanagi whoops.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-23, 02:31   Link #513
Galacticichi

It's official Yuri guys. Who will win the Toukobowl? Place your bets.
Galacticichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-23, 07:00   Link #514
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
i actually don't think any of the premonitions have come true.
At around 10:00 of Episode 2, Touko has a vision in which she hears her own voice say "I want to see the future, too".

Then at 21:55 of Episode 2, Touko says "I want to see the future." and she thinks back to the vision she had earlier in the episode. And her eyes go wide at the realization that she just said something very close to what she envisioned herself saying before.

This doesn't sound mysterious on paper, but the way it plays out in the episode itself is pretty suggestive.

Also...

Quote:
david falling is what he was feeling at that time when they were talking. and sachi in the hospital was probably her thinking, oh, i'm going to be in the hospital and sad because of it.
David and Sachi never had those visions. Touko had those visions of them. And Touko's vision of Sachi in the hospital was, I'm pretty sure, before Touko knew that Sachi was going to be in the hospital.
Old 2014-08-23, 07:46   Link #515
Irisiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galacticichi View Post
Hiro.

Or Forever Alone Touko.

Why? Because the series is gearing up for Yanagi/Kakeru, Sachi is overbearing and Yuki is already rejected. So it'll be either Touko/Hiro or Touko/Alone (lets just hope Hades wont show up, and if he does, Touko wont step on his strawberry mochi ).

As for the Future Visions, they seem to show up like at branching path decisions of a dating sim game. Previously, Touko's visions showed her the possible neutral and good paths, but now she can also see the possible bad paths as well. It doesn't mean that they'll come true, just that they were a possibility at that time and whatever decisions she and her friends make picks which path is the future (so when Yanagi saw Touko and Kakeru on the beach, there was the possibility of a Jealousy/Enemy Path to start, and when Touko saw the glass shatter she saw the possibility of the glass works being shut down for some reason showing two different Certain Future in Glass and Uncertain Future without Glass paths).

Yeah I'm theorizing faaar beyond necessary, but my motto when fan-theorizing is go big or go home! (This is probably why so few of my theories come true.)
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-23, 07:57   Link #516
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
I'm pretty sure Touko's "visions" can be solved with good ole' terapy and prozac
For the record, Prozac doesn't treat hallucinations. You need an antipsychotic for that.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-23, 08:07   Link #517
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galacticichi View Post
Touko/David or Touko/Alone

I don't see any other Touko possibility working well at this juncture. Too much time has been focused on Touko/David, and too little time on alternate Touko pairings.

The most unusual thing I could see happening, romance-wise, is Yuki ending up with Touko's younger sister. But that is a bit of a long-shot, and I write it without knowing what the age difference is between the two characters. If the age difference is 2 years or less, I could see it having a 10 to 15% chance of happening.
Old 2014-08-23, 09:03   Link #518
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
At around 10:00 of Episode 2, Touko has a vision in which she hears her own voice say "I want to see the future, too".

Then at 21:55 of Episode 2, Touko says "I want to see the future." and she thinks back to the vision she had earlier in the episode. And her eyes go wide at the realization that she just said something very close to what she envisioned herself saying before.

This doesn't sound mysterious on paper, but the way it plays out in the episode itself is pretty suggestive.

Also...

David and Sachi never had those visions. Touko had those visions of them. And Touko's vision of Sachi in the hospital was, I'm pretty sure, before Touko knew that Sachi was going to be in the hospital.
the first point is almost like her hearing herself say "i'm going to use the bathroom," then saying it later. almost barely counts, if at all.

I never said david and sachi had those visions. they were thinking that at that time, and touko glimpsed what they were thinking. sachi knew she was going to the hospital. she didn't tell anyone until later, but touko, with her ability to see emotions/thoughts, saw it first. do you really think yanagi will ever say "you make a cute couple" while crows or whatever concurrently fly at touko? probably not. the way i saw it was she was raging under the calm exterior she was projecting, because touko had found with david what she had been looking for with yuki. glass shattering part = she sees her own reflection and her current state is vulnerable and unstable because of the beach incident. with david in the art room = he's pissed and isolated because she was talking about yuki and wants nothing more than to grab her and kiss her.

do you really see birds flying and yanagi saying something in a bitter voice, a window shattering in touko's face, or david acting all rape-y as actual events that'll happen in the show? i don't at all.

Old 2014-08-23, 09:04   Link #519
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonfr View Post
wow, that's official?
Yes. We can strike out the "possibly" of Kakeru and Touko after episodes 7 and 8 developments.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-23, 09:51   Link #520
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

I never said david and sachi had those visions. they were thinking that at that time, and touko glimpsed what they were thinking.
So you find "future visions" hard to believe in, but don't have a problem whatsoever with actual mind-reading?

Your idea is interesting and possible, but it's pure speculation unsupported by anything the characters have said, and it's no less fantastical than "future visions". "Future visions" is still a perfectly viable interpretation, at least at this time, and it's an idea supported by how the characters themselves are approaching these visions. So your idea is by no means "obvious".

Premonitions can conceivably involve symbolic imagery. Of course I don't think that anything exactly like these images will later happen, but these images may well symbolically reflect something that will later happen.

Tags
glasslip, love polygon, p.a. works, romance, supernatural