AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-07-15, 07:57   Link #881
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

My brother (a few of his builder mates) and his GF that don't really go in for sci-fi stuff really enjoyed it. Which was a pleasant surprise.
Old 2013-07-15, 08:14   Link #882
Dragonkid11
A random-man

The writer immediately fails hard when he suggest to use Apache to attract the attention of a Kaiju.

When they said Kaiju disregards safety for human extinction,THEY REALLY MEANT IT.Kaiju don't care about Helicopter.

Sure,it will cut them up eventually,but that exactly what the Kaiju want.Toxic blood EVERYWHERE.
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 08:30   Link #883
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

It would have been nice for the movie to have demonstrated a bit more believable conventional military attacks on the Kaiju, but a more realistic set of attacks with heavy bombers wouldn't have changed the main issue involved with killing Kaiju. They're filled with toxic materials that will get splattered all over a city if you carelessly blow them apart with heavy strategic weapons (Tanks probably aren't worth it, due to the scale of Kaiju and how well armored they are).

Besides. They already tried the strategy outlined in the website in the prequel comic. Military forces trying to lure Kaiju out in the open so they could be attacked by heavy strategic ordinance without splattering a city. Problem is, Kaiju are purpose built bioweapons designed to ATTACK cities. They'll have some instinctive programming to attack threats, but it proved extremely difficult to lure them out of cities. Once you come to terms the physical impossibility of building Jaegers, they ARE actually a surprisingly reasonable counter to Kaiju on land. Since they can attack Kaiju with physical/energy based weapons that won't splatter kaiju blue everywhere, and physically block them from getting into cities.

Of course that doesn't quite make the movie entirely plausible. While obviously you can't use heavy bombardment/nuclear attack against Kaiju in cities...there really isn't any particular reason you couldn't hit them with nuclear torpedoes at sea, or to mine the rift portal with Hydrogen bomb naval mines.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 08:32   Link #884
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Pretty much the only thing I agree with the article is how they portray the planes flying at low altitude and manuvering between the Kaiju's body.

That's just suicidal.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 08:41   Link #885
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Pretty much the only thing I agree with the article is how they portray the planes flying at low altitude and manuvering between the Kaiju's body.

That's just suicidal.
yeah.

I honestly WOULD have liked to see a scene of say, a flight of B1B Lancers launching an all out attack against the Kaiju with their full load.

The Kaiju disappears under the massive array of exploding bunker busters and various other bombs. There's a moment of silence, before the Kaiju roars, and comes storming out of the smoke, covered in blood (as well as all the nearby buildings) with the bomber pilots crying out "It's still alive! Hit em again! Hit em again!" before the scene cuts to the Kaiju finally lying dead, in a pool of its own blood, seeping into the cities sewer system.

...then cut to a scene showing an infantry full of people suffering from Kaiju blue poisoning, to convey that the all out bombing attack REALLY didn't work.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 08:47   Link #886
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Of course that doesn't quite make the movie entirely plausible. While obviously you can't use heavy bombardment/nuclear attack against Kaiju in cities...there really isn't any particular reason you couldn't hit them with nuclear torpedoes at sea, or to mine the rift portal with Hydrogen bomb naval mines.
I was wondering why this wasn't done immediately. It's not like the rift is in a hard to reach area (if you can walk two 100 meter tall machines right to the rift, then laying some mines should be easy enough. Even if the mines didn't kill the beats, it could have still weakened them.

That being said, if the humans had started with nukes, then it seems obvious that the aliens would have started earlier with Category 5 monsters (which can withstand full on nuclear strikes to the face...but not a sword). So, it turns out humanity was smarter to start with giant robots .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 09:07   Link #887
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Monster Size Comparison... LOL, they even have the Stay-Puff Marshmallow man!

Old 2013-07-15, 09:12   Link #888
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Zilla looks so puny compare to the Original
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 09:14   Link #889
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

You kidding? I couldn't even find King Kong until I looked closer !

Who thought it was a good idea to have Godzilla vs King Kong ?!
Old 2013-07-15, 09:22   Link #890
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

well in terms of Monsters that godzilla fought if memory serve me correct i think Biolante final form if bigger than king gidora 's
Old 2013-07-15, 09:31   Link #891
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Wonder how the Armored Core mechs would fair against the kaiju, White Glint could prob take one down thanks to its insane speed.
Old 2013-07-15, 09:41   Link #892
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I liked Biollante. Somehow, it was the cutest kaiju.

I'd stick Solo Wing Pixy in a F-22 TSF and have THAT tear the kaiju a new one.
Old 2013-07-15, 09:49   Link #893
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

My childhood experiences with Kaiju were more towards the Ultraman series, though not the Japanese ones unfortunately... Except maybe Tiga

My favorite was Ultraman: Towards the Future... I distinctively remember being freaked out by some of the monsters as a kid
Old 2013-07-15, 09:54   Link #894
sa547
*Author

Perhaps the odd reason as to why F22s futilely/suicidally chose to engage with just 20mm on the Kaijus and not heavier stuff like Exocets, Mavericks and Harpoons is (Roger outlined already as to why such ordnance can't be used on the baddies), it reminds me of the Spads trying to bring down King Kong right on top of the Empire State Building; this is to demonstrate the film's homage to old-school monster movies.

Frankly, this is more of an enthusiast movie targeted at specific audiences, rather than a flick made for everyone who are more interested in conventional comedies and 3D animation.
Old 2013-07-15, 10:14   Link #895
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
My childhood experiences with Kaiju were more towards the Ultraman series, though not the Japanese ones unfortunately... Except maybe Tiga

My favorite was Ultraman: Towards the Future... I distinctively remember being freaked out by some of the monsters as a kid
You're born too late to watch Friday night screenings of the entire Godzilla series every Friday night after the 10pm news for half a year, on Channel 8, 20 years ago.

In contrast, the only Ultraman I watched was one made in Australia. But hell, that was pretty much an English-speaking version of an anime without the over-acting.
Old 2013-07-15, 10:18   Link #896
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
You're born too late to watch Friday night screenings of the entire Godzilla series every Friday night after the 10pm news for half a year, on Channel 8, 20 years ago.

In contrast, the only Ultraman I watched was one made in Australia. But hell, that was pretty much an English-speaking version of an anime without the over-acting.
Surprisingly no, I did watch at least two of those Godzilla movies- whichever one it was that had two monsters double teaming Godzilla I think... But man do those fights seem to last FOREVER, I was still young so by midnight I was out cold.
Old 2013-07-15, 10:26   Link #897
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post
Zilla looks so puny compare to the Original
That part actually isn't accurate. Zilla is listed as 90m, whereas the 1954 Godzilla is only 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post
well in terms of Monsters that godzilla fought if memory serve me correct i think Biolante final form if bigger than king gidora 's
Not quite. KG is 150m (just short of 500ft!), Biollante's final form is 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I liked Biollante. Somehow, it was the cutest kaiju.

I'd stick Solo Wing Pixy in a F-22 TSF and have THAT tear the kaiju a new one.

This was cute?

Quote:
Surprisingly no, I did watch at least two of those Godzilla movies- whichever one it was that had two monsters double teaming Godzilla I think... But man do those fights seem to last FOREVER, I was still young so by midnight I was out cold.
Hm, double deam. Gigan, perhaps? Megalon? Terror of Mechagodzilla? Godzilla against Mothra?
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 10:52   Link #898
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It would have been nice for the movie to have demonstrated a bit more believable conventional military attacks on the Kaiju, but a more realistic set of attacks with heavy bombers wouldn't have changed the main issue involved with killing Kaiju. They're filled with toxic materials that will get splattered all over a city if you carelessly blow them apart with heavy strategic weapons (Tanks probably aren't worth it, due to the scale of Kaiju and how well armored they are).

Besides. They already tried the strategy outlined in the website in the prequel comic. Military forces trying to lure Kaiju out in the open so they could be attacked by heavy strategic ordinance without splattering a city. Problem is, Kaiju are purpose built bioweapons designed to ATTACK cities. They'll have some instinctive programming to attack threats, but it proved extremely difficult to lure them out of cities. Once you come to terms the physical impossibility of building Jaegers, they ARE actually a surprisingly reasonable counter to Kaiju on land. Since they can attack Kaiju with physical/energy based weapons that won't splatter kaiju blue everywhere, and physically block them from getting into cities.

So dunking a dead body into Hong Kong bay would be any better? =/ That would make the Exxon Verde look like a piss in the pound.

Anyone remember the two Aussie guys poke the Kaji with a flare gun? Maybe the U.S Navy can go old school and "HOLD FIRE UNTIL YOU SEE THE WHITE IN THEIR EYES!"
Old 2013-07-15, 11:12   Link #899
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Had an amusing thought.

Kaiju are the offense. Jaegers are the defense. The various coastal cities are the goal/s. Kaiju Blue is the pigskin.

I can't stop laughing. Quick WB, market it with football in mind!
Old 2013-07-15, 11:53   Link #900
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Actually I am very thankful this movie was even made , given it has it flaws, but the way the action scene handled the Mecha VS Kaiju was great hat off to you Del toro

btw

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster