AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2022-05-19, 17:02   Link #4301
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was fun, and we did get a brief explanation of how the negotiations with the Shijos went.
Old 2022-05-20, 02:43   Link #4302
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Sounds like the good old Kaguya-sama I used to love. I don't want the manga to overstay its welcome any more than it already has though, so I hope it will wrap up soon. Spare us an arc about Mama Shirogane.
Papa Shirogane should hook up with Hayasaka's mom, anyways.
Old 2022-05-20, 14:42   Link #4303
SirCopert

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Papa Shirogane should hook up with Hayasaka's mom, anyways.
She is already married.
Old 2022-05-20, 16:03   Link #4304
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCopert View Post
She is already married.
Yeah, saw that in a Youtube comment a few hours ago as well. Dammit.
Old 2022-05-20, 20:34   Link #4305
Wandering Soul

That was truly the best chapter we got in a while. Really glad we're done with the family drama for now.
Old 2022-05-23, 16:20   Link #4306
WingedAccelerator

I like the idea of the joke, but who ended up on the receiving end was too predictable. You know the drill already of my issue with this.

Spoiler for Chapter 264:
Old 2022-05-23, 18:10   Link #4307
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for 264:
Old 2022-05-28, 10:27   Link #4308
AP24

The latest chapter made me realize I almost forgot Fujiwara’s first name
Old 2022-05-29, 00:22   Link #4309
Lex79

Ah, this is the typical chapter that makes me glad my job isn't translating manga.
Anyway, it was fun, but for President's sake I hope Kaguya will never let a Miyuki chan slip in public.
Old 2022-05-29, 06:30   Link #4310
WingedAccelerator

Reminder that in the official English translation of the manga, for who knows why, Kaguya uses Chika instead of Fujiwara-san and uses Shirogane instead of President. Therefore, it already made no sense how her issue in Chapter 60 was that she can't call Miyuki as President anymore, but the official translation insisted that she struggles calling him Shirogane or President Shirogane, when other times the positions such as Secretary Fujiwara are also erased from the dialogues.

Get fucked with this chapter.

Last edited by WingedAccelerator; 2022-05-29 at 08:30.
Old 2022-05-29, 07:00   Link #4311
AP24

See, this is why I prefer fan translation better than official release translation
Old 2022-05-29, 10:56   Link #4312
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
See, this is why I prefer fan translation better than official release translation
The problem with fan translations is that some times the grammar is awful. The sad truth is that just knowing Japanese doesn't mean you can translate....

Official translations have their problems, but the overall quality is generally better than fan translations.
Old 2022-05-29, 15:00   Link #4313
Lex79

That's the reason I'm in favor of keeping the honorifics in translations, or terms like senpai and kouhai, or using the surnames. You'll never know when the inevitable chapter about how people call each other comes, and if you took liberties with the translation it's going to be a pain in the ass to adjust things. I've seen localizations that try to solve the problem by using pet names or similar things, and sometimes that works, but other times it feels unnatural because it's not the way people speak here. You may say, but it's also unnatural to see honorifics in western languages, but in that case it's easier for me to just use suspension of disbelief.
Old 2022-05-29, 16:08   Link #4314
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
That's the reason I'm in favor of keeping the honorifics in translations, or terms like senpai and kouhai, or using the surnames. You'll never know when the inevitable chapter about how people call each other comes, and if you took liberties with the translation it's going to be a pain in the ass to adjust things. I've seen localizations that try to solve the problem by using pet names or similar things, and sometimes that works, but other times it feels unnatural because it's not the way people speak here. You may say, but it's also unnatural to see honorifics in western languages, but in that case it's easier for me to just use suspension of disbelief.
If the story setting is specifically Japanese, it only makes sense to stick with the Japanese honorifics to present accurate social interactions. Even though European honorifics don't have the same level of layers as in Japanese (particularly the Senpai/Kouhai relation), I'd still incorporate them in translations depending on the setting as that can still convey the underlying social meaning using the proper equivalents. Using Victorian Romance Emma as an example, it makes more sense to use the English honorific equivalents in translation due to its setting.
Old 2022-05-29, 16:49   Link #4315
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Personally I think that if there's an easily understandable translation, then honorifics should be translated. For example, "sensei" and "san" can be Mr. or Mrs. while "kun" and "chan" should be left as is.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2022-05-30, 03:45   Link #4316
WingedAccelerator

By the way, I think the students that Miyuki imagined on the first few pages are based on the students that Aka used for telling the readers about the premise of "Confessing first means you lose!" in Chapter 1 and 11. Not a perfect match, but they are really similar and it could be just that Aka's style has changed.
Old 2022-05-30, 15:17   Link #4317
WingedAccelerator

Break next week.

Spoiler for Chapter 265:
Old 2022-05-30, 18:14   Link #4318
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for 265:
Old 2022-06-04, 09:10   Link #4319
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

I knew there's comedy tag but somehow 1 page talk 1 page Kaguya commentary format is annoying.

Mikado is really a throwaway character 'huh, his best friend is going to US and he's not even a part of massacre.
Old 2022-06-05, 09:01   Link #4320
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
I knew there's comedy tag but somehow 1 page talk 1 page Kaguya commentary format is annoying.

Mikado is really a throwaway character 'huh, his best friend is going to US and he's not even a part of massacre.
Mikado, Shiranui, Abe and Sensei.

Aka did dirty to all of them.
Closed Thread

Tags
character derailment, coming of age, desconstruction, genre shift, love triangle, memeguya, no longer our guy, quality decline, romcom, school life