Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-11-08, 18:14   Link #21
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
I'm fond of my uchigataka, or "striking sword", that I have above my desk.
Info: Here
I may post images of it if I get around to it.
Old 2007-11-08, 18:44   Link #22
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MotokoAoyama- View Post
Lol..sorry, didn't catch that, haha. I shall go search up what that movie is about, haha
I'll save you the trouble:

A clip of the scene in the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umv2yzk4mCM
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 19:12   Link #23
Minorou
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to Minorou Send a message via MSN to Minorou
I'm not much of a sword connoisseur, but I've been fond of a fictional sword called the Soul Calibur from the games of the same name. Truly a work of art to behold... at least in my eyes.

Spoiler for Picture:
Old 2007-11-08, 20:07   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sooooooo what frequency does it sing at when you strike something with it?

Hmmm, it is beautiful but that wingswept hilt has me wincing for my hands.
Old 2007-11-08, 20:12   Link #25
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I'm really more of a halberd person myself, though in the case of swords, I guess I go more for a broadsword or longsword. Honestly, I couldn't tell you the difference in appearance, but in any case, they get the chopping done. I dunno, get one of those big-ass thing like from Berserk for best effect. Can't beat ramming through three dudes at once.
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 20:34   Link #26
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Mines gotta be the bastard sword. Faster then a two handed but packs tons of punch. I'm all about the power.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 20:45   Link #27
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Being a commissioned military officer and what not, I do own a sword -- it's what I was given when they commissioned me. But it's only a replica weapon, definitely not something you would use in battle. More descriptively, it's what Mithos_Y would call a smallsword.

And being fantasy RPG geek, I did have my fair share of sword fetish while growing up, but that said, I'm far from being a sword connoisseur. My "favourite" type of sword would be the classic longswords carried by the early Crusaders. They have a certain elegance of form, and practicality in function that I enjoy.

I do like rapiers and smallswords, but while they're certainly pretty to look at, I dislike the fact that for all intents and purposes, these weapons were essentially civilian weapons that you wouldn't use in field battle. Contemporary soldiers relied on "solid" weapons such as the cavalry sabre instead.

It's interesting that Kyuusai mentioned the Chinese jian. The Chinese regarded the jian as a gentleman's weapon. Apparently, it's a very hard weapon to master, and like Kyuusai said, you're more likely to find common soldiers using the practical dao instead. All-in-all, I'm not a big fan of Chinese swords -- they never did develop the same mystique that Japanese swords have.

Needless to say, I do admire the Japanese katana, but at the same time, I'm fully aware that much of its "legendary" attributes are just that -- legendary. That said, it's definitely an "ultimate" weapon of sorts, in both form and function.

In the end, it often amazes me that different cultures and civilisations have all developed their own versions of what it is arguably the most ubiquitous weapon in pre-industrial history. What's more, the sword almost invariably becomes a weapon of "prestige", with only a few rare exceptions (the ancient Greeks weren't too fond it).

But it does irritate me the way swords are designed in games, anime, manga and movies. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes that would have been horribly impractical in real-life, eg, that sword in Soul Calibur. Why can't fiction portray swords more realistically? Just because they look "plain" doesn't necessarily mean that they won't be exciting you know.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 20:50   Link #28
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
I'm more of polearms, particularly the scythe. But if it's swords, then I'd go for the longsword, broadsword and rapier.
RavenHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 21:12   Link #29
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Mmm, I'd go for a lightsaber if possible.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 21:20   Link #30
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Bah! Swords are over rated. Axes are actually the best weapons because they are the easiest to create. Japanese swords are quite designed quite well, but they were mainly used for slicing and sometimes stabbing. Personally I like slicing swords, so I would choose some thing b/t a Katana and a Chinese Dao Knife. Personally I prefer lances, more like the Hasta spears/lance, which the Roman Legionnaires used.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 21:40   Link #31
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
But it does irritate me the way swords are designed in games, anime, manga and movies. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes that would have been horribly impractical in real-life, eg, that sword in Soul Calibur. Why can't fiction portray swords more realistically? Just because they look "plain" doesn't necessarily mean that they won't be exciting you know.
Well, it's part of the aestheticism of the Japanese art forms. Anime in itself is a quite unrealistic portrayal of reality

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 21:44   Link #32
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'm not so sure you can call a sword like the Katana "overrated". Over hyped, maybe. But it's an extremely well designed weapon that can also take incredible punishment.

40 caliber machine gun vs a Katana:

Sure, we all know the machine gun obliterates it. But watch the slow motion to see how well it holds up. It even slices some of the bullets in half. That's just incredible craftsmanship.

My favorite sword to look at would probably be the Katana. I don't like using swords though. I prefer staff type weapons.

Last edited by Solace; 2007-11-08 at 21:49. Reason: I suck at code.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 21:54   Link #33
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I'd have to say the flamberge is my favorite type of blade, but I really like zweihanders, claymores, and other 2-handed sword types. However, if I were actually USE a sword, I would pick a rapier, falchion, or katana, since they are easier to handle for me (since they don't weigh nearly as much).

Spoiler for A couple pictures:
Old 2007-11-08, 21:57   Link #34
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

The only thing I don't like about regular katanas is their long handle, since I tend to use one hand while using a sword.

Also, about the strength of katanas: that's what you get when you put everything you have into the sword you're making. That's why sword-making is an art.
Old 2007-11-08, 22:04   Link #35
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
The only thing I don't like about regular katanas is their long handle, since I tend to use one hand while using a sword.

Also, about the strength of katanas: that's what you get when you put everything you have into the sword you're making. That's why sword-making is an art.
If you think a katana has a long handle, you should see a tachi. Those things are practically spears they're so long...
Old 2007-11-08, 22:09   Link #36
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
If you think a katana has a long handle, you should see a tachi. Those things are practically spears they're so long...
Tachi are just bigger version of the katana, used on horseback. It's hard to use a "small" weapon effectively while you're on a horse, so that's why it's big.
Old 2007-11-08, 22:13   Link #37
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Well, it's part of the aestheticism of the Japanese art forms. Anime in itself is a quite unrealistic portrayal of reality
yeah ^_^, the title might as well be renamed as favorite type of weapons. ^+^ LIGHTSABERS!!

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 22:29   Link #38
Thrasher187
Spellcaster
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Thrasher187
Just look at my sig and you can tell I love Katanas! (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
yeah ^_^, the title might as well be renamed as favorite type of weapons. ^+^ LIGHTSABERS!!
Agreed! Lightsabers can cut through anything!
Thrasher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 22:33   Link #39
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Lol. Lightsabers DO rock. Not to mention, they last for a lifetime. I mean, charging it once and never having to do so again? I wish my cell phone did that.
Old 2007-11-08, 22:35   Link #40
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Lol. Lightsabers DO rock. Not to mention, they last for a lifetime. I mean, charging it once and never having to do so again? I wish my cell phone did that.
I think you do have to recharge the batteries.

Tags
sword, swordplay