AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-06-20, 14:09   Link #101
Lex79

I'll never become truly used to Japanese protagonists that act like having some skinship with their girlfriends is something to avoid at all costs.

They didn't have enough episodes to show all the girls joining the harem, so we got a vision of them as brides in the future. That must also be why they skipped all the important plot points from the novel, they must know there won't be a season 3 and didn't want to introduce things that couldn't be concluded in these 12 episodes...I'm actually surprised they had Ende appear and mention the Phrase Sovereign.
I was happy to see Touya and friends again but I can't say this was a good adaptation.
Old 2023-06-22, 12:31   Link #102
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Well, s2 was a waste of time IMO, such a shame.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-01, 22:59   Link #103
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post
dunno if it was in the anime or not, if it's skipped material or nor but basically they are half robot half genetic. and they are not "programmed" per see but each have a part of their master personality infused to them (like noel is her glutton/slaker tendancy etc...).
Ahh. I was probably not paying attention when they mentioned that, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
I'll never become truly used to Japanese protagonists that act like having some skinship with their girlfriends is something to avoid at all costs.
Agreed, that's super weird to me too. Especially in situations like this where they're already engaged. It's like dude... grow a pair lol. I remember one show once where they were already married and that shit was still going on. I was like had the author never been with anyone, and doesn't know how to portray a relationship? lol

Seems like in the majority of shows it's either one extreme or the other. Either they are the type to blush and stammer and run if their significant other even hints at undressing or they are they are Isekai Meikyuu type protags, lol. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of anime that portray healthy relationships (i.e. no shy freakouts, no tsundere punches into next week, reciprocated occasional PDA) and I'm coming up blank. I'm sure I've seen some, it's just rare enough that I can't think of any.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 00:31   Link #104
Lex79

I mean, I do get that Japan is different in regards of how public manifestations of affection are viewers, I also understand that authors may not want (or may not be allowed to) the characters having sex (and I don't think every story has to include sex, of course), but as you said, they are engaged with a mutual love, a kiss isn't going to kill anyone.
Old 2023-07-02, 00:42   Link #105
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well, again, like I said in S1, the anime sadly removes a lot of the background thoughts and simple character background concerning him, enhancing his generic nature and erasing causes. If I remember right the guy was raised a certain way, and more significantly he'd seen some very bad things happen to one or two relatives due to romance. This is why he was so slow to recognize, acknowledge or accept the girls' affection and probably also connected to why he's very reluctant to move at more than a snail's pace.

Honestly, this's one of the sad things about LN anime adaptations. LN protagonists do frequently lean toward the blank slate, aiming more for a few subtle character traits rather than something big, unique and possibly hard for some readers to relate to. However, they do include those subtle hints and minor characteristics to make them at least somewhat of a character a lot of the time. However, this often seems to be one of the first things to fall on the cutting room floor when the story is edited for time. Female characters need to be made/kept unique to be endearing, but they often don't see that much loss in removing the male lead's personality, making the anime often more generic than the original, even when the original is himself kind of plain.

At least this season they kept some of Touya's combat sadism. Not as intense as it was in the LN, but better than season 1. Pity they didn't include a few more of his dark moments and angry explosions. But at least they have a few this season.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 09:01   Link #106
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Seems like in the majority of shows it's either one extreme or the other. Either they are the type to blush and stammer and run if their significant other even hints at undressing or they are they are Isekai Meikyuu type protags, lol. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of anime that portray healthy relationships (i.e. no shy freakouts, no tsundere punches into next week, reciprocated occasional PDA) and I'm coming up blank. I'm sure I've seen some, it's just rare enough that I can't think of any.
Banished from the Hero's Party actually had a pretty solid relationship development and intimacy between the leads.
Old 2023-07-03, 18:12   Link #107
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Banished from the Hero's Party actually had a pretty solid relationship development and intimacy between the leads.
Ahh yea, that one was great as far as that goes. I also liked how they didn't save him and Rit hooking up until the end; I hate when shows that have romance do that.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, comedy