Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-31, 21:44   Link #1
HeiBK201
Contractor

Romance, Tragedy, Comedy. *MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS*

Hey Animesuki Users,

I can't believe it took me this long to find this website, where all the otakus can reside together. New guy here :P

Moving right along.
Currently, I have nothing to watch while I work.
I'm in need of an anime, will you hear me out?

I'm looking for an anime similar to:
  • Clannad
  • Kanon (2006)
  • Amagami SS
  • Angel Beats!

With these elements derived from the animes listed above:
  • Romance (Developing Romances like Clannad, Kanon)
  • Tragedy (One of the main character is dead/will die)
  • Comedy (Such as Tomoya Okazaki's pranks)
  • Supernatural (Such as when the true, happy ending of Clannad, or Kanon's spiritual animals)
  • Strong Story (Such as Clannad and After Story, those simply made me tear)

Also, the elements of, 'action', can be in the anime, however, not too much where it becomes non-sensible.

I also want an anime that has the main character is a guy and there are multiple girls, despite saying this, I don't like, 'harem' (Major contradiction). However, one girl and multiple guys is also welcomed.

Animes that contain the style of works such as "Kyoto Animation" is highly recommended.

Sorry if this taste is high-demanding, but being an otaku myself (or so I consider myself), I have seen and completed many animes, however none have satisfied me as much as the ones listed did.

Perhaps I haven't searched a lot.
Can you help?

BK201
Old 2010-12-31, 22:38   Link #2
JRendell
Manga Addict

First off; Happy New Year, and welcome to AnimeSuki

Now, if you're after anime similar to Clannad and Kanon, then I'd straight away recommend Air. It's by the same guys who did Clannad and Kanon, and is fairly enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeiBK201 View Post
Animes that contain the style of works such as "Kyoto Animation" is highly recommended.
Full Metal Panic!, now. Right now. Then start on Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, however, it doesn't really meet any of your specifications except for being produced by KyoAni. (Air is also by KyoAni)

Others I'd recommend to you regarding your tastes would be;

Busou Renkin
Bokura ga Ita (No fantasy element; pure romance)
True Tears (Again, no fantasy element; pure romance. Highly recommended though)
Old 2010-12-31, 22:49   Link #3
MasterVinh

a New anime that I liked and I'm sure you'll enjoy too (i'm in the same kinds of anime as you)

*Fortune Arterial: Akai Yakysoku*

Enjoy (: and Happy New Years too ^^
Old 2010-12-31, 22:54   Link #4
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

I'll have to second Air. It has often been called one of the "Big Three" KeyAni animes, the three being Kanon, Clannad, and Air.
Old 2010-12-31, 22:55   Link #5
HeiBK201
Contractor

Thank you.

And a Happy New Year to you all as well.

I have watched the, "Anime 101" animes already.
Animes that are known by most, if not ALL otakus.

Lucky Star and Haruhi Suzumiya are considered, "Anime 101", however I show my gratitude for the others.

BK201
Old 2011-01-01, 01:37   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'll give a seconding to Air for sure.

Also two with a bit more action, but are still romance/comedy/tragedy: Katanagatari and Kannazuki no Miko[note/warning: this a Yuri/Shoujo-ai series ] though I couldn't Kannazuki no Miko has quite as much comedy as Kanon, Clannad, or Katanagatari do.

And really if you're considering Amagami SS as close to what you want then, Yosuga no Sora fits especially considering how the final ending can be interpreted, though content level is a lot more ecchi than most of the series you've watched, but you might like it still.
MAL
Old 2011-01-01, 04:21   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I would definitely give Ef: A Tale of Memories a try.
Old 2011-01-01, 05:42   Link #8
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Quote:
I have watched the, "Anime 101" animes already.
The list of what you've seen already would be much appreciated then.

Just in case, recommending Ah! My Goddess! OVA and the Movie. Then, if you like its idea, watch the TV series.

Oh, and I would suggest you to read the forum rules about the user signatures.
Old 2011-01-01, 13:12   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeiBK201 View Post
Hey Animesuki Users,

I can't believe it took me this long to find this website, where all the otakus can reside together. New guy here :P

Moving right along.
Currently, I have nothing to watch while I work.
I'm in need of an anime, will you hear me out?

[...]

With these elements derived from the animes listed above:
  • Romance (Developing Romances like Clannad, Kanon)
  • Tragedy (One of the main character is dead/will die)
  • Comedy (Such as Tomoya Okazaki's pranks)
  • Supernatural (Such as when the true, happy ending of Clannad, or Kanon's spiritual animals)
  • Strong Story (Such as Clannad and After Story, those simply made me tear)
I'm going to list my suggestions roughly in order with the ones I think you are most likely to enjoy closer to the top.

4.5 of 5 elements: Cross Game: You definitely want to watch this one.

4 of 5 elements: Maison Ikkoku: The great granddaddy of romance anime. A must watch. Style is different then you are used to, but if you watch, it is actually rather high quality animation: reflections in the water, lighting effects, ect. It's also a slow build, the whole first season feels like more of a setup, but trust me the payoff is worth it. There is a reason why a common complaint about a new romance anime is "it was better when it was called Maison Ikkoku". Lots of girls, not really a harem though, more of a love polygon.

4 of 5 elements: Touch: By the same author as Cross Game. Touch is usually considered his masterpiece, although I prefer Cross Game. I'd suggest you watch Cross Game first, and if you like it check out the rest of Adachi's works, H2 for example (although H2 is better in manga format). Adachi's works tend to include at least 4 of the 5 things in your list. Those 5 things are the hallmarks of Adachi's work.

3 of 5 elements: The World Only God Knows: Lots of girls without the harem. The first season lacks a strong story. This is because it hasn't gotten to the Harqua arc, which in the manga was when the series really started to gain a strong story. Hopefully 2nd season (already announced) will get to the stronger plotline. If this happens, might bump up to 3.5 out of 5. If the anime intrigues you, feel free to move on to the manga.

5 out 5 elements: Katanagatari, not really intended as a romance, but it is pretty prominent.

3.5 out of 5 elements: Honey and Clover: Another one of the good romances. Tends to be hit or miss though with viewers.

3 out of 5 elements: Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette: You want epic tragedy with romance? Check out the classic, now in animated form.

3 of 5 elements: Whisper of the Heart: A nice coming of age romance.

3 of 5 elements: Kimi Ni Todoke: The romantic sweetness will make your teeth hurt.

4 of 5 elements: Kimagure Orange Road: Another one of the old romance anime. I've only seen part of it, but it has a lot of the elements you say you want.

3 out of 5 elements: Ah My Goddess: If you've seen anime 101 then you might have seen this. If not, check it out.

3 of 5 elements: Crest of the Stars: The main thing here is that the romance is a subtle undertone, and is hardly touched on at all in Banner I (which is mainly a big space battle), Banner II begins to develop it again, and Banner III is when it finally comes out in the open (and to a reasonable conclusion). So pacing might be an issue if you are watching mainly for the romance. But it's definitely one of the better anime around.

3.5 to 4.5 out of 5 elements: Full Metal Panic: Depends on how you count Supernatural. Action, but I think you'd like it.

4.5 out of 5 elements: Chrono Crusade: I'm ranking this lower because the romance is not a major part of the story, even though it has almost all of the elements you want. It's more of an action show, but I think you'd like it.

4.5 out of 5 elements: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Again the romance is there, but is not a major part of the story. A lot more romance then the original anime though.

3 out of 5 elements: Bakemonogatari A very... different sort of romance. I think you might like it though.

3 out of 5 elements: Otome Yōkai Zakuro: A Shoujo-action show. A cut above the rest, but does have some rough spots.

5 out of 5 elements: Starblazers: It's all there, but it was made in the 70s. Can you accept 70s animation (think Speed Racer style)?

3 out of 5 elements: Kannagi If they ever get around to animating the rest of the manga it seems to be heading more interesting story directions. Unfortunately the author of Kannagi became very ill, and to my knowledge has not yet restarted work on the manga.

4 out of 5 elements: Mirai Nikki: A manga not yet animated. Has a lot of horror in it though, so I'm ranking it lower, despite it definitely being a tragic romance (I found it moving). I suspect it's not what you had in mind, but it still might be worth checking out.

5 out of 5 elements: Neon Genesis Evagelion (original series and End of Evangelion): Okay, if you are an otaku you must have seen this one right? It hits all the things in your list, so I had to mention it, but somehow I doubt it was what you had in mind.

4 out of 5 elements: School Days: I'm sure you've heard of it. It is rather infamous after all. One of the most hated anime ever. I'm certain this was not what you had in mind, but it is a tragic romance that has comedic moments.

That's all I can think of right now.

Hope that helps.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-01-01, 16:47   Link #10
HeiBK201
Contractor

Yes, I've definitely seen Neon Genesis Evagelion.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
And oh well, my bad, it was too late for me.

My sig was too big. Didn't know

Apologies for any inconveniences.

BK201
Closed Thread