Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-04-15, 18:35   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I kind of agree with all the other characters talking down to Sagiri.
Don't think she's cut out for the job she thinks she wants at all.
The only thing he's definitely right about is that she's way too stuck up. She was the only one who insisted her convinct's hands remain tied, none of others followed that rule. That said, rather than her being weak or not cut out for the job, I'd say the others are just too confident. Just look what happened to eyepatch, got turned into paste after his big talk last week.
Old 2023-04-15, 21:39   Link #62
grecefar

This got a lot more interesting with all those characters dying (too bad for the prostitute) but I'm sure the kunoichi is alive.

I love the crazy creatures in the island.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-15, 23:04   Link #63
Frontier

Already from the get go “paradise” is very colorful, but don’t be fooled…there’s nothing natural about all that flora .

It’s not even five minutes and the criminals are already killing each other. I guess that makes sense though, meanwhile the Executioners are just there to watch, observe, bring back the Elixir or failing that just bring back the head of their assigned criminal. All at their own discretion .

So the head of the Asaemon Clan is at stake in this too? I wonder how invested in that Sagiri is .

Sagiri is too rigid and a stickler for the rules for her own good, even when she sees how her fellow Asaemon are acting. I mean, it’s kind of hilarious how she still insisted Gabimura bind himself even when Keinu was trying to kill him, but hopefully she can get over it enough to get them through this together .

Twisted Keinu may be a weapon junkie, but Gabimaru is functionally as invulnerable as Superman and willing to kill to get to his wife. Not that he wants to out of respect to her .

Iwagskure is getting roped into this too? Will the chief be the final boss? He took the Elixir and seems practically invincible and he’s the one thing standing between Gabimaru and his wife .

Is this Kinsho guy going to make it back to the boat? I’m skeptical. Although Eizen bought it almost immediately, which surprised me .

Dang, Yuzuriha died (though that body looks oddly pristine and clean for a killing)! And the courtesan! Though that lucky executioner got to bed her before beheading her .

It’s ironic that Gabimaru got into this mess because he tried to leave the clan with his wife like his parents did, which got them killed .

Gabimaru’s wife taught him how to feel, and that killing shouldn’t be easy, which had the result that now he reacts violently to any threat to his family and can relate to people who have them…and he can’t bring himself to kill Sagiri .

And Sagiri in turn sees Gabimaru’s humanity and realizes that she wants to see the culmination of his redemption and restoration, so while they’re not friends and Sagiri’s job hasn’t changed, they at least seem committed to getting through this together. Which is good because this island has killer mutant insects and a humanoid Kaiju with hands for eyes .
Old 2023-04-16, 01:13   Link #64
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The only thing he's definitely right about is that she's way too stuck up. She was the only one who insisted her convinct's hands remain tied, none of others followed that rule. That said, rather than her being weak or not cut out for the job, I'd say the others are just too confident. Just look what happened to eyepatch, got turned into paste after his big talk last week.
Isn't the guy with one eye patch is ranked number one among executioners. His death only mean that this particular convict is extra strong.

The half-monk-half-samurai-big-guy who collects weapons of his slain enemies is more or less based on a character in Japan's historical legend. According to the legend, the guy kept standing when he is killed. In the episode, he is defeated and lying on ground.

So, the first group is to explore any danger. The shogun sent the second group, which appears to be stronger. Perhaps, the intention is to have second group to learn some lessons from the first group's failures.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-16, 02:09   Link #65
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-16, 02:44   Link #66
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep3:
Spoiler:
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-16, 08:04   Link #67
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
Isn't the guy with one eye patch is ranked number one among executioners. His death only mean that this particular convict is extra strong.
Spoiler for Skipped scene from the manga:
Old 2023-04-16, 10:27   Link #68
Frontier

Quote:
Spoiler:
Old 2023-04-16, 17:57   Link #69
Ghostfriendly

I like Jidaigeki, but they certainly are hit and miss. The undying swordsman-seeking-death-but-not-really premise has been done, and seldom in such a pretentious and blaring fashion, with a cast of cliched bores and a plot that could be set in any period of history. 'Men fight and woman raise children' is not an attitude confined to ninja villages or the Edo period which the saintly husband-saving wifey, who has to fall in love with this bum because he doesn't throw up over her hideous-but-not-actually-ugly burn scar, doesn't exactly oppose. Later episodes may be considerably better, but first impressions were very wearisome.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-16, 21:48   Link #70
Alchemist007
*Author

The fight in the second half of the episode was very strange. "Oh no, the writing won't let me kill you!"
Old 2023-04-19, 11:32   Link #71
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I ended up marathoning the manga and I have to say it didn't live up to the expectations the first two episodes set for me. It's pretty much 90% fighting past this point, with 10% being spent on solving the mystery of the island.
If that's what's coming, I'll be out after episode three. I was looking forward to the mystery component. The fighting is just, well, fighting.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-20, 14:59   Link #72
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I must say I didn't like the fact that half of the criminals/yamadas were killed off. I thought for sure it was going to be a Jūni Taisen-esque type of show; show a few chars, their backstories, and how they arrived at where they are at, only for them to eventually killed off. A lot of them had nice designs. The fact that many of them died off-screen without even a whimper is a bit of a downer. I guess it gives more time to focus on our main protagonists, but it still feels like a waste overall.

The fight between Gabi and Sagiri felt a bit lackluster animation-wise compared to the first 2 episodes, but I'm going to assume that's because they were holding back from one another.

Quote:
That is, if we assume he's actually dead. I feel like if there's any faux deaths shown, it'll be him(don't tell me if he is or isn't ofc).

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-22, 11:03   Link #73
Frontier

Tamiya seems like a relatively well-balanced Tetsu Inada Samurai. Sure he's very confident in his skills with a blade, and will prove he cut anything when the challenge is placed in front of him and his temper gets the better of him, but he seems pretty rational and well-adjusted aside from being determined to test his mettle. And he's paired with Aoi Ichikawa's Fushi, who also seems relatively okay, even if he does seem very turned on dissecting people (but he's strong enough to put the fear of being bisected into Tamiya). In a series of odd couples, these two match up pretty well .

So if you take humans, demons, animals, insects, Buddhism, Taoism, Heaven, and Hell...throw them into a blender, and you get this island and it's inhabitants. Is this all the Elixir's doing? What mutated the flora and everything else on the island? And why the religious bent? Even the statues are warped. And it seems like they're sentient and able to speak to some extent but just in religious doctrine .

Well, dang, they can actually hurt Gabimaru! Gabimaru has to rely on his pure natural instincts to get by and kill these things, while Sagiri is utterly shocked. But we also have Gabimaru instinctually saving Sagiri, even giving her a princess carry! Nice !

Yuzuriha lives! I guess this season could only afford to kill off Rie Takahashi once. And I mean, as charismatic and attractive as Yuzuriha is, she definitely adds a lot of personality to the show, especially with her silver tongue, self-serving nature, and beguiling good looks. Not that her flirtations have any effect on Gabimaru, he knows how the game is played and is a happily married man .

So this Genji guy fell for Yuzuriha's charms (no surprise there) while we've got Daiki Yamashita as Senta, who seems really pleasant and non-threatening but that just tells me he'll probably be one of the most dangerous Yamada's on the island .

I'm sure this Makiya guy had it coming, but dang they really used and manipulated him to test the threats on the island and then just killed him and tested him some more. Like, jeez .

I knew immediately the whole sick sister story was fake, and obviously one doesn't need a deep reason to want to live, yet I wonder if Yuzuriha does have a backstory she's not telling .

Poor Sagiri fainting while realizing how lacking she is as a main character. Nice of Senta to carry her though .

So Chobei was pulling a long con with his brother Toma the whole time. I didn't expect to hear Kensho Ono in this although hearing him yell "nii-san!" felt oddly nostalgic. So Toma basically worked his way into the Yamada to free his brother and get him a pardon, basically betraying the clan in the process (his true loyalty was always to his brother). I foresee plenty of drama there, especially when they meet the gang that have teamed-up .

Chobei and Toma came from a noble clan that was basically screwed over in every way possible, and leaving the brothers with nothing but each other. Toma was a crybaby but Chobei never seemed to show any outward emotion regarding what happened to them, instead internalizing it and turning those feelings of anger and resentment into confidence in himself and his own righteousness, having himself and his brother believe only in that. Though it seems the brothers' loyalty to each other might be genuine, which in this situation is probably a godsend .
Old 2023-04-22, 18:59   Link #74
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Yuzuriha lives! I guess this season could only afford to kill off Rie Takahashi once. And I mean, as charismatic and attractive as Yuzuriha is, she definitely adds a lot of personality to the show, especially with her silver tongue, self-serving nature, and beguiling good looks. Not that her flirtations have any effect on Gabimaru, he knows how the game is played and is a happily married man .
The OP kinda spoiled that Yuzuriha was still alive. Besides, the author couldn't very well kill both of the hottie convicts. Come to think of it I'm not sure the courtesan even spoke a single word, so the girl voiced by Rie Takahashi was definitely more likely to have survived

Yuzuriha is my favorite character. I think you can tell why from this episode alone. She's hot, she's smart, she's pragmatic, and she's a flirt. Pretty much the ideal kunoichi.

And I should amend what I said earlier. There's definitely a lot of fighting, but the mystery is still pretty important.
Old 2023-04-22, 19:20   Link #75
grecefar

no way yuzuriha was going to be killed just like that.

they may be the strogest team now but let's see the others, chobei is pretty strong to take all those monsters with only brute strength.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-22, 19:40   Link #76
Wandering Soul

I highly doubt that anyone honestly thought the girl that is in the OP and has a prominent VA was biting the dust early.
Old 2023-04-23, 12:41   Link #77
Frontier

Quote:
The OP kinda spoiled that Yuzuriha was still alive. Besides, the author couldn't very well kill both of the hottie convicts. Come to think of it I'm not sure the courtesan even spoke a single word, so the girl voiced by Rie Takahashi was definitely more likely to have survived
You'd be surprised this season .
Quote:
Yuzuriha is my favorite character. I think you can tell why from this episode alone. She's hot, she's smart, she's pragmatic, and she's a flirt. Pretty much the ideal kunoichi.
Not to mention her outfit leaves little to the imagination .
Quote:
And I should amend what I said earlier. There's definitely a lot of fighting, but the mystery is still pretty important.
Not to mention the interplay between the various groups, convicts, and executioners .
Old 2023-04-23, 14:59   Link #78
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Man Sagiri getting carried out really just sums things up for her. Basically luggage at this point . I do think she'll get a decent arc out of this, but it's definitely proving to be a road for her.

Yuzuriha being alive is a treat. If nothing else than to see her constantly get close and then slammed to the ground. Though the fact that she keeps getting that close might be a general plan on her part. Keep letting him toss her only to go for the kill before he can at some point. Either way her being alive is great because she's freaking fun. Dangerous as all heck though.

And kind of nice that the brotherly bond is genuine. The one brother is pretty pessimistic, but I have little doubt his brother will stand by him. In his "I'm my own god" perspective, his brother's life is worth protecting.
Old 2023-04-23, 18:03   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
And kind of nice that the brotherly bond is genuine. The one brother is pretty pessimistic, but I have little doubt his brother will stand by him. In his "I'm my own god" perspective, his brother's life is worth protecting.
I'm pretty sure everyone thought he was going to abandon his little brother because characters like him are usually portrayed that way, but if he didn't care about his brother he would have cut him loose a long time ago. The advantage they have over the others is that they're the one pair who can fully trust each other.

Gabimaru and Yuzuriha may have an alliance but she made it clear it doesn't rely on trust and she'll betray him if it benefits her.
Old 2023-04-29, 11:06   Link #80
Frontier

Sagiri wakes up ready to get back to work...and everyone is just chilling out and relaxing. I mean, Yuzuriha's just lying on a hammock! Though from Gabimaru's perspective he just wanted to wait out her injury until she was better, which was very sweet .

I'm glad we could confirm that these monsters don't have dicks! And good thing Yuzuriha was there to say it so Sagiri didn't have to .

This is some weird horror melting pot of religion, humans, and animals/insects...not to mention the corpses that become flowers. I guess if these things are able to survive without normal bodily functions, it might be sourced from the Elixir ?

Is Sagiri cut out for this? I mean, she's skilled with a sword, with execution, but does that make her a true warrior? She's even using a random sword instead of her own Asaemon blade. Granted she's probably never been in a real battle before, so she's understandably a bit out of her depth even if she feels a strong sense of duty to stick with it .

Oh hey, Yusuke Kobayashi! I wasn't expecting to hear him in this! Tenza seems like a pretty earnest and sincere type of guy who isn't the smartest but is pretty genuine in how he is around people and in he's skilled with a sword, but that makes for a fun pairing with Nurugai who is more clever and wordly. It also helps that Tenza seems committed to helping Nurugai survive this because they don't deserve to be executed .

And he's not kidding, Nurugai pretty much is just an innocent caught up in the brutality of the Shogunate that they basically sent a team of Samurai to attack the Sanka for not abiding by Shogun authority by having Nurugai innocently lead them to the village so they could get slaughtered. Then Nurugai was torn between the need to continue the bloodline of the Sanka and Nurugai's own guilt from having lead the samurai to the village...but luckily Tenza is there to let Nurugai know that all that matters is whether Nurugai wants to live! A simple question from a simple man, but a necessary one .

I thought Nurugai sounded kind of feminine even by the standards of women voicing boys...and lo and behold, Nurugai is actually a girl! Who flashes Tenza with her naked child body! How serious was she with falling for him and wanting to marry him though ?

It's nice to see how much care and closeness there is between Gabimaru and Sagiri now, and how they continually push each other in a supportive way .

Poor Sagiri. Her father never accepted her as an heir or someone who could carry on the family duties, merely seeing her as a woman who could perform a womanly duty, but Sagiri wanted more. Man, woman, everyone deserves to follow the path they desire whether it fit traditional norm of their gender or not, and Sagiri is going to prove her mettle on this island .

I don't think anyone's going to mourn Genji, minus the concern about the giant man-eating colossus they're about to fight. Can Sagiri take his swords now ?

Tags
action, adventure