AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-14, 06:04   Link #401
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Then cut a whole in his rectum that leads into his prostate, shove a stick of dynamite coated with supergule into his prostate, give him lots of laxative. As soon as his stomach begins to rumble, cut off his arms and light the fuse.

Let's see if he can shit himself to freedom.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 06:07   Link #402
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

As for Lacus's design...I feel that she's the only plausible outcome of wanting to combine the image of a pretense-strong girl that is capable of being perfectly girlish, innocent and ditzy without any sacrificing pretense (( unlike some arch-types where their design instantly screams obvious pretense of innocence )) while having the dominant ~ura~ side where she turns out to be capably metaphorical, manipulative, masterfully significant, influencial...essentially perfect.

But...we're drifting off-topic.

Just cause I haven't watched Episode 19...why is Revy in Japan as well? From the screen-caps, it looks like Balalaika has some 'business' abroad with her underlings accompanying. She needs Rock for his multilingual translator job... but why Revy come along?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 06:29   Link #403
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
As for Lacus's design...
Hmmm. Kinda sounds like an extreme version of Tessa from FMP. I guess it's the blatant girlish, ditzy look that I'm not into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Just cause I haven't watched Episode 19...why is Revy in Japan as well? From the screen-caps, it looks like Balalaika has some 'business' abroad with her underlings accompanying. She needs Rock for his multilingual translator job... but why Revy come along?
I thought she's serving as his "bodyguard" for the trip?

Last edited by kujoe; 2006-11-14 at 06:40.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 09:37   Link #404
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
One thought nagged me though. When the series started, someone mentioned that Rock actually speaks Russian. But he was translating Balalaika's English in this episode. Divergence with the manga, or was the original comment just a mistake?

All in all, it was a sweet episode. Revy playing with children (with glimpses of her own violent childhood) was precious. It also gave us a great look into the inner dynamics of the Lagoon Company. I never figured what language they all speak to themselves (since Benny and Dutch are Americans, Revy is half-Chinese and Rock is Japanese). I guess it's English.

I wonder if English is the standard language in Roanapur? Rock might be a polyglot, but I bet Revy and the gang are not. Which brings interesting ideas to bear. Triads... Russian mafia, Sicilians, Colombians, Roanapur in in Thailand (or maybe Vietnam?)... but they still speak English to one another.

Globalisation! 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 10:46   Link #405
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
One thought nagged me though. When the series started, someone mentioned that Rock actually speaks Russian. But he was translating Balalaika's English in this episode. Divergence with the manga, or was the original comment just a mistake?
I think misunderstood that part and had forgotten about it when I wrote that comment back then. There are a couple of pages in vol.4 wherein someone...

Spoiler for vol.4, pg. 136, 139:

...and Balalaika speaks in Russian for a while on this particular scene. The only person I saw with her is Rock. I mistakenly drew the assumption that he could also understand Russian from here. (Well, maybe he can a little but I'm not really sure now.) And yes, Balalaika speaks a lot in English in this arc. She goes to back to using Russian when she's speaking to her men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
I never figured what language they all speak to themselves (since Benny and Dutch are Americans, Revy is half-Chinese and Rock is Japanese). I guess it's English.
From my understanding, the characters use English with one another, but by default it's all written in Japanese. I don't think Revy even speaks Chinese at all. However, the dialogue in the manga includes English when it's specifying that another foreign language is being used. For instance in the Fujiyama arc, both English and Japanese are usually used when the scene involves Revy or Balalaika speaking to Japanese characters. But if Revy happens to be alone with Rock, their dialogue is all in Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
I wonder if English is the standard language in Roanapur? Rock might be a polyglot, but I bet Revy and the gang are not. Which brings interesting ideas to bear. Triads... Russian mafia, Sicilians, Colombians, Roanapur in in Thailand (or maybe Vietnam?)... but they still speak English to one another.

Globalisation! 8)
Most likely. But then, perhaps Rock can understand Chinese, some Italian, or a little bit of that or a little bit of this, and so on. He really seems to be well-versed in other foreign languages.

Last edited by kujoe; 2006-11-14 at 11:07.
Old 2006-11-14, 11:01   Link #406
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Black Lagoon + Snow + Revy in Skirt = The best arc in the universe.
Old 2006-11-14, 11:03   Link #407
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Revy is the new Sad Girl In Snow? 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 11:08   Link #408
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Revy is the new Sad Girl In Snow? 8)
She is, there's no need in Kanon anymore. :3

Anyway, i've always been a sucker for snow - and i can just tell by that i'm going to love this arc to pieces.
Old 2006-11-14, 11:22   Link #409
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yakuza + Nostalgia + Emo Rock = Teh best arc in the universe.
Fixed. :3 Now let's see whose pie will Rock lay his game on this arc...or die trying.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 11:24   Link #410
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Glad i'm not the only one that got the 'Yakuza' feeling - i'm sure it'll appear more then once next episode. :3

Speaking of the 'sad girl in snow', i don't believe Revy is that girl for this arc.
Old 2006-11-14, 11:37   Link #411
T.V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post
Then cut a whole in his rectum that leads into his prostate, shove a stick of dynamite coated with supergule into his prostate, give him lots of laxative. As soon as his stomach begins to rumble, cut off his arms and light the fuse.

Let's see if he can shit himself to freedom.
LMAO!

Well, having (Strike) Freedom in the vicinity and if angled correctly, the stick of dynamite would send Shinn flying into Kira's windscreen...

This Yakuza arc seems promising, setting up for a grand finale.

I love those breaking through the fourth wall moments Ronin describes.
These nice in jokes as well as Rock's litteracy about the predicament he's in are one of the factors why I like this show a lot.
Who doesn't love the obvious references to Desperado and what not.

Watched Tarantino's Pulp Fiction the other day.. gives me the same feel.
T.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 15:23   Link #412
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

so it's alread this far. Dar. Now the only thing i'll want to see is the fabled original ending to SB instead of enjoying this amazing arc :/

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 17:00   Link #413
kauldron26
Med Student

anybody have any idea what the connection is seeing as EDA is a former or maybe active CIA and last season we found out that Revy was wanted or had some issues with the CIA when she was in the U.S.

Any thoughts??
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 17:59   Link #414
v1cious

gotta say 18 was a great episode, i'm looking forward to this next arc. does Rotton ever come back? he seemed to be the most useless one in the group.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 18:09   Link #415
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

I really liked the reference to Nicholas Cage's character in The Rock referring to an Elton John song.

Spoiler:
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 18:13   Link #416
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious View Post
he seemed to be the most useless one in the group.
Pfft, just because of that makes him the coolest male character to have ever appeared on screen. :3
Old 2006-11-14, 18:33   Link #417
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Speaking of the 'sad girl in snow', i don't believe Revy is that girl for this arc.
You mean Yukio? She's the only other candidate.

Nice start, though I kind of wish that the number of times Revy uses engrish was lessened. It's even more amusing when the f-word gets muted out.

By the way... Is that the Hawaiian shirt that Revy bought for Rock I see? Man, no wonder he doesn't like wearing it.
Old 2006-11-14, 18:36   Link #418
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
You mean Yukio? She's the only other candidate.
Of course, she's my love for the winter.

Also, if you think about it, this is just about the perfect time for this arc to end.. same goes for when it'll finish - Christmas time. :3
Old 2006-11-14, 19:45   Link #419
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Nice start, though I kind of wish that the number of times Revy uses engrish was lessened. It's even more amusing when the f-word gets muted out.
It was in this episode that I realize for the first time that all these people uses English as the common language for communication. Just when I thought everybody in the world speaks Japanese when the show is made in Japan. Then again, I'm most definitely glad we are spared from an English speaking Revy along with all the other English speakers in the show all this time. Rock is one cool dude (not as cool as Revy ) to be able to speak so many languages. It would have been priceless if the animators could have emulated for Balalaika to speak English in that heavy Russian accent. The dub would be an interesting experience when the DVDs' come out.
Quote:
By the way... Is that the Hawaiian shirt that Revy bought for Rock I see? Man, no wonder he doesn't like wearing it.

I wonder if she will be made to admit she likes him before the series ends. She is certainly giving looks that are reserved for only in the company of Rock, and blushing crimson in the episode considering she isn't drunk! Or at least, I thought she wasn't drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
.havent seen the naked back yet tho >.<
We certainly have!

monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 20:09   Link #420
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
IIt would have been priceless if the animators could have emulated for Balalaika to speak English in that heavy Russian accent. The dub would be an interesting experience when the DVDs' come out.
I thought about that too. A well done dub could be do wonders in my opinion. Just imagine, for a moment, Shen Hua's English.... I guess the danger here is becoming too stereotypical, but something well executed and subtle enough can definitely improve the atmosphere of the show. Still, I already love Shen Hua as she is. Shen Hua + Chinese accent = hotness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
I wonder if she will be made to admit she likes him before the series ends. She is certainly giving looks that are reserved for only in the company of Rock, and blushing crimson in the episode considering she isn't drunk! Or at least, I thought she wasn't drunk.
I doubt it. It's not even that sure of a thing yet at this point. A bit protective of him, maybe. I do, however, enjoy her range of moods in this arc. Mellowed down, pissed off, annoyed and so on. And is that withheld jealousy I see over there?

What I really want is an arc centered on her character and her past.

Last edited by kujoe; 2006-11-14 at 21:33.

Tags
action, crime, madhouse, seinen