Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-22, 21:52   Link #641
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
LOL hitagi is so freaking aggressive.

As well as this massive tease.

I am glad she didnt undergo a major character renovation since her story.

Araragi-kun just keeps checking out the goods.

EDIT : HAhAhaHaHHAHAHAHA for the gradeschooler fight .

Last edited by alu546; 2009-07-22 at 22:11.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 05:13   Link #642
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulzon View Post
Can anyone clarify this for me. After Koyomi rejects Hitagi's offer that he can have a girlfriend, she says "You really do have large tolerance", he pauses and blushes afterward.

What was going on there?
She says 「本当に器が大きいわ」 (hontou ni utsuwa ga ookii wa), which is hard to translate. Or even define, I guess.

Literally, it becomes "You really do have a large capacity."

Making sense of what "large capacity" means will drive you insane, but dictionary definitions for "large capacity" include:
* tolerant (e.g. to others misbehaviour)
* person of high caliber
* be a person of large caliber; be a person of great capacity; be a person of much ability

Having a look at how Japanese women try to explain "men of large capacity", you can include these features:
A person who
* is very forgiving
* never loses his calm
* is generous
* stands firm
* is very considerate
* is reliable

Combining all these meanings, I can reach two different English terms that fit: ideal or saintly.

Hitagi is basically muttering to herself, so it might not be intended that Koyomi hears it, and from her point of view, I'd interpret it as "What a saint you are."
Koyomi probably hears "You really are the ideal man," and blushes.

Disclaimer: I'm not a native and have never been to Japan, etc, etc, take it with a grain of salt.
Old 2009-07-23, 05:19   Link #643
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
She says 「本当に器が大きいわ」 (hontou ni utsuwa ga ookii wa), which is hard to translate. Or even define, I guess.

Literally, it becomes "You really do have a large capacity."

Making sense of what "large capacity" means will drive you insane, but dictionary definitions for "large capacity" include:
* tolerant (e.g. to others misbehaviour)
* person of high caliber
* be a person of large caliber; be a person of great capacity; be a person of much ability

Having a look at how Japanese women try to explain "men of large capacity", you can include these features:
A person who
* is very forgiving
* never loses his calm
* is generous
* stands firm
* is very considerate
* is reliable

Combining all these meanings, I can reach two different English terms that fit: ideal or saintly.

Hitagi is basically muttering to herself, so it might not be intended that Koyomi hears it, and from her point of view, I'd interpret it as "What a saint you are."
Koyomi probably hears "You really are the ideal man," and blushes.

Disclaimer: I'm not a native and have never been to Japan, etc, etc, take it with a grain of salt.
Either way, it's clearly a compliment, so blushing is a natural reaction. She also notably didn't follow it up with her usual sarcastic reinterpretation.

That's also part of the reason that I think she didn't really want him to accept her offer. She might follow through with it (or maybe not, I can imagine a scene playing out like that time she asked him to show appreciation for her exhibitionism in episode 2), but she'd think less of him for it. I mean, the whole conversation was about paying him back. Would you like it if your love interest looked like he was jumping at the chance to take advantage of you?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 05:24   Link #644
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Either way, it's clearly a compliment, so blushing is a natural reaction. She also notably didn't follow it up with her usual sarcastic reinterpretation.
It's not as clear as it seems. Nothing ever is with Nishio Ishin.
Old 2009-07-23, 05:32   Link #645
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

"Paying him back", of course, implies that they would be even.

And that would mean she loses the excuse to hang around him.

He made the right choice; if there is going to be anything long-term between them, it is best that they keep seeing each other, even if just playing playing around in the playground.

By not asking for anything in return, Koyomi implies that he wants their relationship to go somewhere; after all, Hitagi only offered either "be there for you always (as a friend)", and "be your girlfriend (but no guarantee that it would last long)". Neither choices are actually that good.

When the time comes, when Hitagi would do things for Koyomi without making it a "chore" or "duty because she owed him", she would really be his girlfriend.
Old 2009-07-23, 05:39   Link #646
Clarste
Human

Quote:
It's not as clear as it seems. Nothing ever is with Nishio Ishin.
"Clearly sounds like a compliment?"
Old 2009-07-23, 05:44   Link #647
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
"Clearly sounds like a compliment?"
Yeah, I can live with that. His blush is understandable. I'd have been blushing since the moment she said hi, but oh well.
Old 2009-07-23, 06:04   Link #648
Mentar
Banned

In context, I'd say that she's particularly complimenting his ability to tolerate her abuse/teasing/flirting the way he does
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 06:20   Link #649
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
In context, I'd say that she's particularly complimenting his ability to tolerate her abuse/teasing/flirting the way he does
I think that's what she meant the first time she said it, but it probably had different connotations the second time, when she said it quietly to herself. More wordplay, of course.
Old 2009-07-23, 06:41   Link #650
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Which does make him a good romantic candidate for her. I don't think just any guy will be able to put up with her, lol.
Old 2009-07-23, 07:44   Link #651
aulzon

Ah I sort of have more clarity on this after hearing your guys theory.

Yeah I think, the first time she said you really have large tolerance, she was pointing out that Araragi can take a lot of her abuse. But then she put up her ultimatum (a test) to see if that was really true. The part that worried me was the pause, like Araragi realized Senjougahara said her words in the context that she thought that he would be able to put up with her for a long time.

I mean the whole conversation up to that point had been Senjougahara trying to get Araragi to sort of admit his true colours for helping her out (had he been trying to do it for her sake or just been trying to get into her pants) by trying to get him to ask something of her.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 07:53   Link #652
apr
Pedestrian

This is the most curious scene to me in the entire episode, I think:

At least, it's the one that stuck in my mind.
Old 2009-07-23, 08:43   Link #653
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've been struck by the recurring design choice of horizontal and vertical lines between the viewers and the characters. It conjures up a feeling that the characters are somehow incarcerated. I've wondered whether this is intended to connote that the Japanese people, or perhaps especially its young people, are "jailed" by their culture and mores.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 15:31   Link #654
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
This is the most curious scene to me in the entire episode, I think:

At least, it's the one that stuck in my mind.
I loved that part. I laughed out loud too. I said before that the map changed depending on the conversation too. Great stuff.
Old 2009-07-23, 15:57   Link #655
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I've been struck by the recurring design choice of horizontal and vertical lines between the viewers and the characters. It conjures up a feeling that the characters are somehow incarcerated. I've wondered whether this is intended to connote that the Japanese people, or perhaps especially its young people, are "jailed" by their culture and mores.
Bingo! Good observation. And separated from each other, perhaps.

I've been watching bits of eps2 and 3 again and coming to like them more and more. There's some depth lurking there.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 16:12   Link #656
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I loved that part. I laughed out loud too. I said before that the map changed depending on the conversation too. Great stuff.
No, I mean, rewatch this scene and think about it. How do they get to that exact positioning? What must happen for it to exist? Who does what? It's not (just) funny, it's peculiar.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:19   Link #657
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
No, I mean, rewatch this scene and think about it. How do they get to that exact positioning? What must happen for it to exist? Who does what? It's not (just) funny, it's peculiar.
I was kinda wondering about that too. Why Araragi was holding the note so far away from his body, when Senjougahara was right there.

*rewatches scene*

Yeah, they kinda just cut to it. Hm.
Old 2009-07-23, 18:07   Link #658
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Just watch the first episode :

Lol the concept remind me Zetsubou sensei . Seems promising . The guy is a vampire but a normal one . Lol she's aggressive i agree XD A tsundere , a tundra ? ^^
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 18:53   Link #659
typhonsentra

You know what this show reminds me of? Killer7, moreso than No More Heroes too.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 20:24   Link #660
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I was kinda wondering about that too. Why Araragi was holding the note so far away from his body, when Senjougahara was right there.

*rewatches scene*

Yeah, they kinda just cut to it. Hm.
I guess they did get right there. But isn't that just for dramatic effect and such? They also had to show the map, so yeah.

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, shaft, supernatural