AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-29, 17:06   Link #821
Raiga
tl;dr

More images, because this is all the use I'm ever getting out of my pixiv account.

V lol @ the pun on "club/crab."

And a 4-koma. My Japanese isn't great, but it's basically, Hitagi and Koyomi play Mariocart (or **riocart I should say), Hitagi looses, and then she says the line she said in episode one, "I was careless, who would have thought that a banana peel would be in such a place?" or sommat along those lines. Oh yeah, and when she says "let's play **riocart" it's worded the same way as when she says "let's go to war."

And continuing in that vein, I actually sketched Shinobu last night... er, well, it looked a lot better at 2AM. Also I didn't use reference so I screwed up a couple details.
Spoiler for Piccy:
Old 2009-07-29, 18:29   Link #822
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Shaft is just pure enjoyment. Nothing compares.

On the conversation thus far:

1. Not really digging the 'brilliant writing' etc. comments, or interpretations of artistic meaning into the stylistic choices of the show. While some interesting points have been pointed out (the 'crab' and 'snail' symbolic imagery is especially apparent now that it's been pointed out), c'mon guys, it's not that deep (direction-wise)/subtle (writing-wise).
I sort of agree, I really doubt that this is nearly as subtle as some people seem to think it is. I do think it has pretty witty banter going on compared to most other series, so I'd give it credit for good writing, even if it's not "artistic." Also, I believe it's possible to overanalyze anything, and there no harm in doing so as long as people want to.

Quote:
2. As much as Senjougahara brings to the show for me, I'm not liking the somewhat exaggerated fanboyism either. Again, she's not that hot/attractive (lol holy shit I am gonna get lynched for that--okay, okay, maybe she is :P). I am just not looking forward to prospective future whining from people who'll dump on any episode without much of her in it.
Have people been praising her for attractiveness? I hadn't even noticed. To me, she's the fountain of witty banter which keeps this show afloat. It's not bad when she's gone, but it's pretty clear she's the star of the show, and I'd credit that to her personality rather than her appearance. Pretty girls are a dime a dozen in anime, witty ones less so (see the Horo fandom for Spice and Wolf).

Quote:
3. Um, the answer to Mayoi's 'mankind eats dreams' riddle seems pretty clear to me. Mayoi's just expressing a stereotypical sentiment of adults/grumpy old men/greedy corporations crushing the hopes and dreams of innocent children (etc. etc.), which is why Araragi responds "that's not clever at all".
That's what I got too.

Quote:
On the new OP:

It's somewhat unsettling.
Yes.

Quote:
On Nishio Ishin:

This is actually a bit of a negative for me as I'm finding Medaka Box mediocre.
I agree completely on Medaka Box. I find it hard to believe it's the same writer. Then again, maybe if Medaka Box was animated by Shaft it would be something like this? I haven't read the original Bakamonogatari novels, so I don't know how much of it is the author's influence rather than the studio's.

Quote:
On the ridiculous oversubbing:

I usually associate gg with quality, but their ep1 seemed to suck. Minimal typesetting, and in comparison to qIIq's their wording felt significantly less natural. There were numerous (I suppose generally minor) differences in translation as well, though, which I've no idea about, so I ended up keeping both of them.

Translation differences persist with ep2, though with the later episodes gg's got full typesetting now, and I've stopped noticing awkward wording. I am basically pretty damn confused about who I should archive, though.

Frostii's come out with ep1 as well now, way too late to the party. I'm nearly tempted to download theirs as well, though, just to get one more perspective.

Anybody got an opinion on this? I suppose who's got the most accurate translation is the most important thing.
gg did episode 1 really quickly after releasing episode 2. I'm guessing they decided to sub it after 2 came out, but released a quick episode 1 afterward so people could choose consistency. I've watched every single sub (which is scary, in retrospect), and think gg's is the best overall in terms of matching what I think they're saying with the subtitles. My Japanese is far from perfect though, so I wouldn't take my word for it. They have some issues with timing (the punchline should go on another line in a complicated sentence!) and overly literal translations of what should be puns or wordplay but that's relatively minor. Either way, they're the only option for the later episodes.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 18:41   Link #823
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I agree completely on Medaka Box. I find it hard to believe it's the same writer. Then again, maybe if Medaka Box was animated by Shaft it would be something like this? I haven't read the original Bakamonogatari novels, so I don't know how much of it is the author's influence rather than the studio's.
...Medaka Box is probably NOT the best example of NisiOisiN's work... try Uroobe Uroboros, which is considerably better, although only a oneshot.

To be fair to Medaka Box, it IS still just setting up...

But I digress. I'd still love to see Medaka Box animated, and if this and Katanagatari get his name out there in the anime world that's a distinct possibility.

But I digress. I love his style.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 19:50   Link #824
KyntE
Ebilness~

Send a message via Yahoo to KyntE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
More images, because this is all the use I'm ever getting out of my pixiv account.

V lol @ the pun on "club/crab."

And a 4-koma. My Japanese isn't great, but it's basically, Hitagi and Koyomi play Mariocart (or **riocart I should say), Hitagi looses, and then she says the line she said in episode one, "I was careless, who would have thought that a banana peel would be in such a place?" or sommat along those lines. Oh yeah, and when she says "let's play **riocart" it's worded the same way as when she says "let's go to war."

And continuing in that vein, I actually sketched Shinobu last night... er, well, it looked a lot better at 2AM. Also I didn't use reference so I screwed up a couple details.
Spoiler for Piccy:
WOAH Senjougahara sama!!! Faints**

currenty watching: bakemonogatari & princess lover
KyntE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 20:34   Link #825
klowny
OH NO

My turn to contribute

Spoiler for NSFW Probably:
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 07:28   Link #826
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
What does this mean? I don't understand the question.
if Kizumonogatari is only a light novel, no anime or manga of it
becuz when I searched I've only found the light novel
Sephiroth_760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 09:51   Link #827
sirn
田舎者言うな

Hyakumonogatari Drama CD cover:
Don't know where it should fit in the series timeline, though.

From the latest Megami Magazine, there will be no Bakemonogatari broadcast next week due to a special program (recap, seiyū talk or whatever, no further details given) which is quite unusual for 1-cour anime series.

Combine the above news with last episode's six animation directors, looks like Shaft is really pushing the deadline again this time… (and episode 6's episode director is somewhat fishy) let's see if we will have the second Fujisan incident in the next episode…?!

Everything is gonna be all right~ Ringo Mogire Beam~
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 10:07   Link #828
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
From the latest Megami Magazine, there will be no Bakemonogatari broadcast next week due to a special program (recap, seiyū talk or whatever, no further details given) which is quite unusual for 1-cour anime series.
I'm guessing that means it'll be four episodes, instead of three that will be released on the official website. Unless something happens regarding it still airing on TV.
Old 2009-07-30, 10:26   Link #829
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'm guessing that means it'll be four episodes, instead of three that will be released on the official website. Unless something happens regarding it still airing on TV.
That's what I'm worried too. I really want them to end TV broadcast at episode 12 since it's a really, really, really good episode if it's what I think it is (and Shaft not screw it up).
Old 2009-07-30, 10:52   Link #830
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
let's see if we will have the second Fujisan incident in the next episode…?!
You've mentioned that several times... but I still haven't figured out exactly what happened. The Google link didn't really clear it up.

What did happen?
Old 2009-07-30, 11:25   Link #831
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
You've mentioned that several times... but I still haven't figured out exactly what happened. The Google link didn't really clear it up.

What did happen?
Oops, I was going to link to Matthew's blog but somehow forgot to fix the link. Sorry.

Spoiler for because it's somewhat depressing:

Last edited by sirn; 2009-07-30 at 12:01.
Old 2009-07-30, 12:53   Link #832
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Spoiler for because it's somewhat depressing:
They've always sucked at planning. There were a couple of episodes of Tsukuyomi that will go down in history as the worst things to broadcast in forever. Having people talk off-screen for minutes while there's a still image of a fireplace, etc. I was hoping they'd learned from their mistakes, but I guess not!
Old 2009-07-30, 13:00   Link #833
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
They've always sucked at planning. There were a couple of episodes of Tsukuyomi that will go down in history as the worst things to broadcast in forever. Having people talk off-screen for minutes while there's a still image of a fireplace, etc. I was hoping they'd learned from their mistakes, but I guess not!
I remember those, it did not help also that they were both endings of important arcs. That series made me love and hate (more the later) SHAFT for a very long time
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 13:05   Link #834
aulzon

aww man Shaft really =(
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 13:29   Link #835
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
That was also a production schedule problem, though they kind of recover their name with Pani Poni Dash. The DVD version of Tsukuyomi fixed all of it, the appended action parts are also good. Well, subcontractor-level small-ish studio doing 26-episodes is nothing easy, even J.C. couldn't manage to keep it up (but they're much bigger, so the problem is less prominent.) They were also doing He is My Master with GAINAX that time, too.

They did learn from their mistakes: Zoku production was started since 2007, all episodes of Hidamari Sketch x365 was partially done before the anime broadcast. (Enough room for them to reshuffle the episode on-the-fly, ep12 was never supposed to be broadcasted.) Maria Holic production was started sometimes last year's.

Then Starchild decided to screw up their schedule recently with Natsu no Arashi (which Shaft let their partner studio do it), airing Zan in the same season as Bake for whatever reason and decided to make Natsu no Arashi 2 in the next season (so Shaft's partner studio can't lend their hand for Bake).

I suspect Bake case is more of a late financing settlement, though. They did not have a production declaration (as in who invested in the show, "Aniplex/Kodansha/Shaft" in this case) until one month before the anime broadcast and the cover of the manuscript still use "Bakemonogatari Production Committee" declaration. The fact that one of the main producers, Ota Katsushi was demoted from being head of Kodansha BOX may have something to do with it too.

Last edited by sirn; 2009-07-30 at 13:52.
Old 2009-07-30, 13:33   Link #836
ZODDGUTS

Explains why Natsu no Arashi was badly animated.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 17:38   Link #837
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
let's see if we will have the second Fujisan incident in the next episode…?!
Frankly, I wouldn't even be able to tell with this show...

Quote:
I suspect Bake case is more of a late financing settlement, though. They did not have a production declaration (as in who invested in the show, "Aniplex/Kodansha/Shaft" in this case) until one month before the anime broadcast and the cover of the manuscript still use "Bakemonogatari Production Committee" declaration. The fact that one of the main producers, Ota Katsushi was demoted from being head of Kodansha BOX may have something to do with it too.
I find it amusing that Bakemonogatari, in comparision to Zan, is getting the... shaft...

>_>

It was the same last year with JC Staff and Index/Toradora... Index got all the budget whereas Toradora got none whatsoever.

Yet what was the more enjoyable show?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 18:33   Link #838
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Explains why Natsu no Arashi was badly animated.
I didn't find Natsu no Arashi to be badly animated at all. It was actually a very good looking series from start to finish.
Old 2009-07-30, 19:22   Link #839
ZODDGUTS

Really? Looked pretty bad for Shaft.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 20:26   Link #840
Raiga
tl;dr

I thought Natsu no Arashi was pretty well animated, too. If you were put off by the character designs, that's one thing, but the actual animation quality seemed pretty good to me-- and consistent, for that matter. Much better than the drop in the later episodes of SZS first season, compared to the first few eps of the show.

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, shaft, supernatural