Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-07-29, 04:24   Link #1
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Infections...

I have over 300 infections from ONE file and i can't get rid of them.
I am getting constant pop ups and links to adult sites all over my computer..
I am scanning it but i have to have a key for EVERYTHING, and i dont have one.

I cant get rid of them, can you guys help me?

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 04:33   Link #2
ZoomZoom
Hiatus
*Graphic Designer

I hate to suggest this but the last time something similar happened to me I found it easier to just back up the files I needed on a disc and reinstall windows.
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 04:37   Link #3
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I would do that BUT when we bought our computer we didnt get a windows installation disk with it, it came installled with the computer..

Old 2008-07-29, 04:46   Link #4
ZoomZoom
Hiatus
*Graphic Designer

You can probably download a CD for the operating system , but you're going to still need a CD key, just try to Google a download for a system reformatting program.
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 07:15   Link #5
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

If your computer didn't came with a windows cd, than it most likely came with a recovery cd to return the pc to it's original state.

If not, just download the right windows version and reinstall your OS and use the key written on your computer. I assume there is a sticker with the key on your computer somewhere.

Though perhaps it's not even needed. If you could show us which services are running and are on autostart, i think a lot of us can tell you which you can disable.

Right click My Computer>Manage>Services and applications>Services. And check which are on Startup - automatic. And disable suspicious looking one.

Don't disable services that you are unsure of, some are required for windows to operate properly. Just google each service if your not sure of what it does.

And no idea what you mean with" I am scanning it but i have to have a key for EVERYTHING, and i dont have one"

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 07:25   Link #6
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

Sounds like you acquired a Trojan. I would suggest using Spybot Search & Destroy (freeware) to identify it and remove it. If S&D can't remove it itself, then you should just get the trojan's name and google how to remove it.

And as mentioned in the above post, you can disable programs on startup. One of the options is Run (Vista: Programs > Accessories > Run) type > msconfig < and there go to startup tab and disable the ones usually with a funny name, i.e. cjjjak.exe.

Last edited by Eps~; 2008-07-29 at 15:00. Reason: typo
Eps~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 07:42   Link #7
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I am downloading That search and destroy thing now I hopet works because i cba to re install evrything

Sorry my pc is soslow not all the keys are workn well

Old 2008-07-29, 08:49   Link #8
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
I find this more useful than S&D, Malwarebytes.

If you have the original CD key. Make sure to backup your wpa.dbl . M$ is screwing us who bought their expensive OS into five installations(I paid 200$ for this sh** and they give me only 5 installs? BS!!!!) and probably yours is only one time activation.

here is what you need to do to bypass that reactivation sh**

1.) Backup your wpa.dbl

2.) After reinstalling windows, go to safe mode.

3.) After going into safe mode copy,paste your backuped wpa.dbl into the newly installed window's wpa.dbl

4.) Restart and reactivate windows.

note: This will only work on your PC and not on others PC(the wpa.dbl)

I was mad at M$ when I realized that I had only 5 installs >.< It feels like I was renting their OS for like 200$ >.< .

Note: I only tried this on XP dunno for Vista
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 14:10   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
If you have the original CD key. Make sure to backup your wpa.dbl . M$ is screwing us who bought their expensive OS into five installations(I paid 200$ for this sh** and they give me only 5 installs? BS!!!!) and probably yours is only one time activation.
The five-time activation can be annoying, but if you call Microsoft and explain what happened they'll give you a new key. I've never heard of anyone being denied a key. It's a hoop that I don't think a customer should have to jump through, but you're not out of luck after five installs.
Old 2008-07-29, 16:24   Link #10
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Aside of Spybot, please also get HijackThis!.

Boot into Safe Mode before using Spybot Search & Destroy. The reason your one file keeps on resurrecting the whole nightmare is it's allowed in the startup queue, and once up Windows won't let it go. Being in Safe Mode at least temporarily stops that possibility.

Next (don't restart yet), use HijackThis! or Spybot's own "System Startup" menu to find out that one file in the startup queue, and remove it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 18:08   Link #11
arenine

This sounds like it may be scamware trying to get you to buy activation keys. Can you tell us what is the name of the scanning software? and did you notice it before?
arenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 05:37   Link #12
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The five-time activation can be annoying, but if you call Microsoft and explain what happened they'll give you a new key. I've never heard of anyone being denied a key. It's a hoop that I don't think a customer should have to jump through, but you're not out of luck after five installs.
One thing I tried a while ago was

1. Use Ghost/Acronis/ShadowProtect to backup my current Windows partition (on a different hard drive/partition).
2. Boot from the CD, erase the said Windows partition, create a new one, set it as 'active' and format. Leave the other partitions as they are. Don't mess with the partition table.
3. Reinstall XP on the reformatted partition. Just add the basics - like WinRAR, etc. Just the tools needed for refurbishing the system, nothing more.
4. After activating Windows, reboot from the CD (again), and ghost the 'generic, activated XP' partition to the same, external hard drive - this time in a different folder to avoid confusion.
5. Reboot from the CD (one last time), erase the XP partition, create a new one, reformat and ghost the OLD partition back in - with MBR restored, of course.

And there you are - not only do you have your old XP installation back to where it was (preferably bug-free) and you've got a spare (activated) XP ready to be ghosted in, in case you aren't satisfied and want to restart from scratch. Of course, it'll only work for your own PC but not someone else's.

And, goodbye, activation headache.

Note: it also works if you're infected and want to go back to a cleaner state, but if the malware can replicate itself all over the HDD, then you're in a bind. But otherwise, well...

Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-07-30 at 05:57.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote