AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 71 42.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 20.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 12.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 11.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 3.61%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.81%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.60%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.60%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-19, 04:12   Link #101
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
It wont

The problem is in the way it's presented to us. We're getting attached to characters who Otonashi is making go away. It's an interesting conundrum, when the characters become happy they disappear, so we're happy for them but sad they're gone heh. I think people are getting hung up on the notion that they're gone and wont be in the show anymore. It feels like they're "killed off" but we tend to forget that they're already dead in the first place.

That aside, this show has really been a lot better than I ever thought it would be based on the summary.
I think another problem is this whole vanishing thing has remained vague in terms of the result. All we know is that people are gone and we don't see them again. Are they moving on to some heaven? Is it some reincarnation? If it is reincarnation then they are in a sense dying because who they are will be gone and a clean slate is moving onto a new life. I'd find it hard to push anyone to vanish with absolutely no idea as to what the result would be.
Old 2010-06-19, 04:14   Link #102
[X].I.E.[N]

Thumbs up

i like this episode, and the first time i see Kanade smile, while Yuri was sleeping in

bed, also i like Yuri's decision she broke that monitor with her weapon n a man

who has been programmed by progammer who turn himself into a npc

i like Yuzuru act when he was trying to find Yuri then saved her

hope episode 13 "graduation" could be happy ending
Old 2010-06-19, 04:44   Link #103
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
10 minutes

Old 2010-06-19, 04:45   Link #104
maplehurry

Quote:
I'd find it hard to push anyone to vanish with absolutely no idea as to what the result would be.
Not to say Otonashi is flawless or blameless but to quote a Chinese proverb, "You cannot push a cow's head down unless it is drinking water by it's own will."

Yui's case is an example of this.

Quote:
Are they moving on to some heaven?
Not likely, Yuri was given a choice to turn that world into a heaven right there, but it's rejected.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2010-06-19 at 05:10.
Old 2010-06-19, 04:48   Link #105
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
I liked how Dan the 5th came out of no-where to the rescue, when people were like: he's the bad guy!

Loving his slim build and how he's TK version 2.0 in the ending shot. They need to bust out a DDR mat next episode.

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Old 2010-06-19, 04:54   Link #106
Revan21

So, who's he programmer? Maybe Kanade? Or does the computer guy clearly says it's a male and waiting for a female love interest?
Old 2010-06-19, 05:00   Link #107
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
So, who's he programmer? Maybe Kanade? Or does the computer guy clearly says it's a male?
Can't be Kanade as she already stated that she don't know what's going on, and we know she doesn't lie.
Old 2010-06-19, 05:13   Link #108
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post

My point exactly. People are naturally impatient but for important stuff like this the rest need more than ten minutes. I blame it SSS being attention deficient idiots?
Old 2010-06-19, 05:17   Link #109
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
So, who's he programmer? Maybe Kanade? Or does the computer guy clearly says it's a male and waiting for a female love interest?
Kaworu refers to the programmer as a man ("kare") and to his lover as a girl ("kanojo"). So it can't be Kanade, unless she underwent a sex change somewhere along the line.
Old 2010-06-19, 05:22   Link #110
farios

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Someone has a grudge... well what about Hinata ?
I like Hinata, although i find it kinda awkward how he suddenly become so helpful to Otonashi's plan without knowing all the details about the whole "moving on" thing from Angel, personally i prefer his manga ver
Old 2010-06-19, 05:26   Link #111
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
My point exactly. People are naturally impatient but for important stuff like this the rest need more than ten minutes. I blame it SSS being attention deficient idiots?
I kind of took the 10 min. reference as the time limit one sibling dies if she didn't bring something valuable.

I also kind of find it cute that Yurippe wanted to be friends with Angel and find new cloths for her to wear if she realize she is a human sooner. Maybe those pictures are stuff that Yurippe wish to do with Kanade.
Old 2010-06-19, 05:44   Link #112
Casshern

Nice episode.

It's not surprising that the person behind this was an unknown. None of the characters shown so far would fit in his position, except the christ guy who flew away a while ago, but that would've been a serious let-down imo. The guy was an unknown and dissappeared because in the end he was just a tool created by "the programmer" (of angel player), and he was insignificant. His biggest contribution was to let Yurippe experience being an npc, and help her piece together a little more of the puzzle behind that world.

What impressed me the most with the episode was that Yurippe, the one who seemed the least likely amongst the SSS to ever come to terms with the life she lived and move on, was able to overcome her hatred and find meaning in her new life. I believe it was because this time she was able to fight for and protect the ones she loved, as opposed to her helplesness when her siblings died. It was done pretty convincingly imo.

All the major players, Yurippe, the programmer and Kanade, are trying to do the best they can for the people in that world. The shadows seemed evil at first but it's just the mechanism to reset the world and prevent the creation of a utopia, that would alter the purpose of that world and interfere with the path of the souls living there.

What makes Yurippe different from the programmer and Kanade is that, while Kanade would try to force the SSS into conforming to the afterlife laid out for them, and while the programmer would try to forcefully manipulate the world, Yurippe's ideal was to let each person chose their own way to confront their fate; wether in means finding the strength to keep living for a dream or continue fighting against their fate, Yurippe would let each one make their choice. It was only Yurippe's lack of understanding of that world's purpose, and Kanade's lack of understanding of the SSS members that had initially brought them into conflict.

Another interesting point was that the programmer had been happy with the life he had lived for the sake of others, and merely wondered into this world due to amnesia. In other words, exactly like Otonashi. When Otonashi died he was satisfied with the life he lived, having been able to help other people and redeem his inability to help his sister. As soon as his memories returned he could have dissapeared, but like the programmer, he had found other reasons to stay.

Overall this was my favourite episode so far. Not surprising, since Yurippe is my fav character. It was only a bit touch-and-go when Yurippe did the crazy laugh, as it could've easily spiralled down (for me at least), so I'm glad she was more important to the plot as she is than to have her character ruined.

I hope the last episode will reveal who the programmer is, why Kanade has the angel player program and a resolution for Yurippe, Kanade and Otonashi *fingers crossed for a happy ending*
Old 2010-06-19, 05:48   Link #113
Qikz

Amazing episode, although it's still left me not knowing what on earth is going on.

EDIT: Scratch that, I've got an idea.

What if there's actually two worlds, when they dissapear from there, they pass onto some kind of heaven, a paradise as it were which are closely linked as Yuri saw when she almost died. Perhaps they graduate and they're finally ready to be in paradise. Yuri still had her emotional baggage and knew she couldn't be in a paradise yet, she wasn't ready.

The reason why love isn't allowed to manifest in that world, is because if it does it stops people getting to a true paradise? O_O

Last edited by Qikz; 2010-06-19 at 06:04.
Old 2010-06-19, 06:35   Link #114
RedWing

What are we supposed to gain from all the preaching going on? Who wants to die? Why is it seen to be the correct choice, compared to the paradise they were offered?

This show gave us this world that is broken in the most stupid ways (In what way would the creator of the realm gain by allowing people to reprogram themselves? Why is this program able to exert such undue influence on the world?) and now I assume it expects us to gain some deep profound meaning from schoolkids with gun's and super powers?

This show is a horrible broken mess that barely flows together to create any meaning. It can only be taken as mindless entertainment as this episode shows completely.
Old 2010-06-19, 06:39   Link #115
Thoguht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
The shadows seemed evil at first but it's just the mechanism to reset the world and prevent the creation of a utopia, that would alter the purpose of that world and interfere with the path of the souls living there.
The main thing I don't understand so far is why the shadows would turn people into NPCs, like what happened to Takamatsu. OK, that's in a way neutralizing them, but what has happened to their soul/humanity/whatever? We know that "the programmer" became an NPC, but that was through his own choice. If the point of this world is to "graduate", then what happens to those who become NPCs not through choice?
Old 2010-06-19, 07:18   Link #116
SidVicious
Anime addict

More TK awesomeness.
Old 2010-06-19, 07:19   Link #117
Francismeunier
Banned

Thumbs up

Hard to decide whether this episode was as intense as episode 10 about Yui. I would have to say no. I have seen episode 1......10 TIMES! Every time the Yui part made me cry about the time she starts to talk about marriage and Hinata steps in.

Good thing about this episode is that it had 3 impacts on me:
1) Hisako part with Otonashi at the beginning made me simply due to the background music being there and Hisako deciding with the twins that they resolved themselves into crossing over. Bad part that is worth being over is no details about the pasts of either Hisako or those girls that look like twins.

2) Yuri at this part =>
Spoiler:
during her almost shadow being eaten part. It is a excellent question but to me I already know my answer.......it's to feed people again and again as a farmer and make them by having food ready for them whether by farming or other means.

3)The end when Yuri get lectured by her siblings. The music and her sudden burst into crying was quite the emotion feedback.

Problem still resides in seeing this a second time it had less impact on me. So I would have to say this is my #2 episode of all the series with #3 being Iwasawa's part and #1 still stays at Yui. Other remarks stay as a sexy Yuri that's messed up=>

Best expression of TK other than his first one of "Knocking of Heaven's Door" =>
Spoiler:
Find both of these setups mesmerizing for some reason......anyone else here?=>
Spoiler:

Well it's about time Yuri realizes it finally! here =>
Spoiler:
Finally a little GIF gift to you all of what I call Insane Yuri going crazy (reduced in size)=>

Original size one is here: http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/95a704aa.gif
So this is a 10/10 for me but plot wise it was too rushed. Long ramble but was not too active around. Well now I am back a little!
Old 2010-06-19, 07:27   Link #118
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoguht View Post
The main thing I don't understand so far is why the shadows would turn people into NPCs, like what happened to Takamatsu. OK, that's in a way neutralizing them, but what has happened to their soul/humanity/whatever? We know that "the programmer" became an NPC, but that was through his own choice. If the point of this world is to "graduate", then what happens to those who become NPCs not through choice?
I don't think we know enough about the NPCs to answer those questions. It's possible that their humanity is gone and that the programmer may have decided to sacrifice the current players to preserve the integrity of the world.

On the other hand, it's also possible that the players turned NPCs are the same as Yurippe was inside the shadow, that they still have their souls and can still graduate, but aren't aware that this is a faux world and that they're dead.

All the info we have on NPCs is from Yurippe, and could be mistaken.

EDIT: As for why the shadows turned the players into NPCs, that was explained as reseting the world. It wasn't to neutralise the SSS, just a defence mechanism to preserve the purpose of that place. When the people start experiencing love, that will lead to the world becoming a kind of paradise where people will stay forever instead of passing on as they are meant to.

Last edited by Casshern; 2010-06-19 at 08:05.
Old 2010-06-19, 07:54   Link #119
Francismeunier
Banned

Quote:
The main thing I don't understand so far is why the shadows would turn people into NPCs, like what happened to Takamatsu.
Because the programmer wanted to have eternal time to meet the girl he loved once again in this world thus the shadows being his machinations they imitate the same with any other peopel assuming they want also to wait eternally for that person or be in a eternal paradise of happiness.
Quote:
OK, that's in a way neutralizing them, but what has happened to their soul/humanity/whatever?
Good question....it might be gone, might be frozen until the special person comes to the NPC in question or in the end it could be just love that stops all of that problem.
Quote:
We know that "the programmer" became an NPC, but that was through his own choice. If the point of this world is to "graduate", then what happens to those who become NPCs not through choice?
They are enforced and thus have to suffer until the programmer itself gets fulfilled to end this program and change it. I though all of this was done because of Yuri's hate and dilemma itself. Just thoughts passing by.
Old 2010-06-19, 08:44   Link #120
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

The Darkness is no match for TK's wicked dance moves! Hell yes!

Soul-devouring shadow creatures? YOU LOOK TASTY!

Offhand Backhand--when dangerous shadows suddenly become no big deal.

So it's Nakamura Yuri, then? Duly noted.

You will never have a cute angel peaking over your shoulder. sadfrog.jpg

Oh FFS, seriously? "I detect love?" And the monitors all suddenly change to hearts--like that's very helpful...

Computer Equals Monitor. And destroying the monitors computers doesn't necessarily stop the reset program. Yuri could have just destroyed any chance to stop it. Of course, it did stop, and she didn't destroy everything, but that's beside the point.