AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-21, 21:15   Link #81
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Potential candidates for mecha designer:

Akira Yasuda - Well known mecha designer, but also well known for illustrations and original character designs. Does designs for Capcom fighting games, as well as original character designer on Turn-A Gundam, and original animation character designer on Bodacious Space Pirates. He does not do clean animation character designs, so he fits.

Yutaka Izubuchi - Well known mecha designer. Also known for conceptual design on uniforms and outfits, and creature designs. He doesn't generally do actual character designs, but he is credited for the original character designs of Lodoss War, probably because he did the novel illustrations.

Humikane Shimada - Known for his work on Strike Witches and Sky Girls, but not really a prolific mecha designer in general. He definitely qualifies, but it depends on the sort of design direction this show is going for.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 01:47   Link #82
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Potential candidates for mecha designer:

Akira Yasuda - Well known mecha designer, but also well known for illustrations and original character designs. Does designs for Capcom fighting games, as well as original character designer on Turn-A Gundam, and original animation character designer on Bodacious Space Pirates. He does not do clean animation character designs, so he fits.

Yutaka Izubuchi - Well known mecha designer. Also known for conceptual design on uniforms and outfits, and creature designs. He doesn't generally do actual character designs, but he is credited for the original character designs of Lodoss War, probably because he did the novel illustrations.

Humikane Shimada - Known for his work on Strike Witches and Sky Girls, but not really a prolific mecha designer in general. He definitely qualifies, but it depends on the sort of design direction this show is going for.
Thanks for giving the other two, now we have some real info. As for Shimada though, he's already working on a project (Girls und panzer if I'm not wrong) so he might already be out of the count.
Old 2012-05-22, 01:51   Link #83
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I either choose Yutaka Izubuchi or Okama as the mecha designer, but the mecha designs went like this, this and this.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 01:56   Link #84
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
I either choose Yutaka Izubuchi or Okama as the mecha designer, but the mecha designs went like this, this and this.
Will pass if those designs REALLY came about... Well lets wait for the new mystery then we speak...
Old 2012-05-22, 04:22   Link #85
ivari

Syd Mead anyone?
ivari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 04:25   Link #86
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

If anything to go by, episode 1 must be a perfect troll compared to the rest (hehe, my predictions !).
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-05-22, 04:41   Link #87
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Will pass if those designs REALLY came about... Well lets wait for the new mystery then we speak...
Well, if it were just a bit less hardcore (smaller suits) it will be perfect ^^"
Old 2012-05-22, 08:26   Link #88
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Okama is an interesting option, but it would be a case of someone not really known for mecha designs at all. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes the hint sorta deceptive if it's true. Shigeto Koyama is another mecha designer who does character designs, but his line art is clean enough such that he isn't really an "original character designer" but a proper character designer, like on Heroman.
Old 2012-05-22, 08:31   Link #89
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Since Yasuomi Umetsu is directing, I wish this wouldn't be animated by ARMS but by AIC ASTA, but since they already have a LN adaptation scheduled for this summer, we delay it for next winter, right ?
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-05-22, 09:02   Link #90
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I dunno, if I had to guess, I'll say the animation studio for this is A-1.
Old 2012-05-22, 10:28   Link #91
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I dunno, if I had to guess, I'll say the animation studio for this is A-1.
That's right! I almost forgot they're Aniplex' little buddy and a studio big enough to produce good quality anime several times a year . If this project is of a great production value then we'll surely get a wonderful piece of work.
I'm still hoping for either Production IG or PA Works though ... sorry, I know it's hopeless but I really want top notch visuals (TwT)
Old 2012-05-22, 10:34   Link #92
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
That's right! I almost forgot they're Aniplex' little buddy and a studio big enough to produce good quality anime several times a year . If this project is of a great production value then we'll surely get a wonderful piece of work.
I'm still hoping for either Production IG or PA Works though ... sorry, I know it's hopeless but I really want top notch visuals (TwT)
Me too hoping to want top notch visuals, with a good amount of hues on characters' hair, eyes and delicious bodysuits !
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-05-22, 10:49   Link #93
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ You're definitively asking for them too
Old 2012-05-22, 13:53   Link #94
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
It seems to be going for a mecha/sci-fi slant, which is fine with me. Mecha was a bit moribund there for a while, good to see it coming back.

The question is if they can squeeze something new out. The hints seem to point towards a slightly mythic vibe, and the fact the protagonist will be a girl will give an interesting twist (given Mecha is traditionally dominated by guys). What would put me off if it's just going for a generic Moé or Harem angle. That said, I don't see them going through this whole "hint hint" rigamarole for a generic show.
Mecha isn't really making any sort of comeback, at least not the real or super robot type I've always been a fan of. It seems like now its almost always mecha musume or some blend of moe on mecha where the actual robots fighting thing always seems like an afterthought. Also the mecha design in these shows always come off as generic to me, especially when they're CGI which often seems to be the case.

I'll give it a chance hoping it'll break the mold a bit but not exactly holding my breath. The whole island setting thing isnt exactly a great sign to me these days either.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 15:21   Link #95
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ erm, without trying to be slightly off topic or rude, isn't Unicorn the living example of the good real robot genre coming back to our age? O.o Even though it's probably at the current date the only one, (and considering you're not a fan of the Code Geass genre either that is) it better than nothing ... I'd even say it's really worth praising.
Also it's not like I'm forcing it, but the current movie remake of a certain bio-mecha anime series whose third episode will premiere this fall isn't bad at all either, even though it's not the real mecha genre you guys used to admire ... but I guess it might be up to people's taste ^^"

Back on topic :

Quote:
the fact the protagonist will be a girl will give an interesting twist (given Mecha is traditionally dominated by guys)

Sorry, I missed that one earlier. ^^"

Not really, the mecha genre has been filled with girls for ages already. There's several mecha anime title whose main charaters are girls that can be mentioned in that premise (Sora wo kakeru shojo, Idolm@ster xenoglossia, Rinne no Lagrange, etc ...) but they're still a minority compared to the outstanding number of mecha anime with male lead out there though. However if you also count supporting characters piloting too, then, I'd say it's even more balanced than what you think

Quote:
The question is if they can squeeze something new out. The hints seem to point towards a slightly mythic vibe, and the fact the protagonist will be a girl will give an interesting twist (given Mecha is traditionally dominated by guys). What would put me off if it's just going for a generic Moé or Harem angle. That said, I don't see them going through this whole "hint hint" rigamarole for a generic show.
About that it's pretty much confirmed since the beginning that it'll be moe (Dengeki G+aniplex+girls = Angel beats for instance ), though it's pretty hard for the "harem angle" because of the circumstances set by the said hints that have been revealed so far. And in that regard the chance of it being a real mecha anime is also pretty low, to be accurate certain hints pretty much confirmed that it's a mecha musume one.
As for the story and if this anime will bring any kind or innovation to its genre is currently unknown. Truth to be told, everything mentioned so far in this thread were pure speculation. But, probably (I said probably) if the identity of the main staff will be revealed we might be able to tell if a genre deconstruction is possible or not. But until, then I advise you not to put your hopes too high
Old 2012-05-23, 10:02   Link #96
Scarletknive
Meister

What time is it? It is Heavyarms Girl time...

Heavyarms: Thats my girl, now get your body off from her or I will shoot.
Me:Sorry, wrong timing...

I mean mystery time...

Mystery #13: Main Writer and Mech designer did done an anime project together before...(Thats from my own knowledge, anyone can elaborate.)

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-05-24 at 05:01.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 10:23   Link #97
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ ah my head hurts, I seriously thought heavyarms was red

Back on topic :
my mind is blank
Old 2012-05-23, 10:33   Link #98
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Considering we had 5 main heroines and has mecha musume (?) stuff, I'll expect some yuri hints and love triangle or anything like that, with huge wall of drama/tragedy showing girls crying or gets feared a lot.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-05-23, 16:15   Link #99
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Not really, the mecha genre has been filled with girls for ages already. There's several mecha anime title whose main charaters are girls that can be mentioned in that premise (Sora wo kakeru shojo, Idolm@ster xenoglossia, Rinne no Lagrange, etc ...) but they're still a minority compared to the outstanding number of mecha anime with male lead out there though. However if you also count supporting characters piloting too, then, I'd say it's even more balanced than what you think
Yeah, but it's almost never done well, for whatever reason. The only instance of female protagonist (and dominated) Mecha being good is Aim for the Top! Back in the late 80s. So while it has been done, I'd still consider it fairly virgin territory.

Quote:
About that it's pretty much confirmed since the beginning that it'll be moe (Dengeki G+aniplex+girls = Angel beats for instance ), though it's pretty hard for the "harem angle" because of the circumstances set by the said hints that have been revealed so far. And in that regard the chance of it being a real mecha anime is also pretty low, to be accurate certain hints pretty much confirmed that it's a mecha musume one.
As for the story and if this anime will bring any kind or innovation to its genre is currently unknown. Truth to be told, everything mentioned so far in this thread were pure speculation. But, probably (I said probably) if the identity of the main staff will be revealed we might be able to tell if a genre deconstruction is possible or not. But until, then I advise you not to put your hopes too high
Any anime these days featuring girls is going to feature some Moé. It's a question of degree. If the show is dominated by the Moé with the mecha/sci-fi aspects just an afterthought, it'll be a dissappointment for me. On the flip side, it could be good. If you recall, Aim for the Top! also contained a fair amount of (proto) Moé, and fanservice, but it is nevertheless considered one of the foremost examples of Mecha. The female protagonist (whose name escapes me) bucked the trend for most women in mecha, by being very fleshed out and 3 dimensional. Most importantly, she had plenty of Burning Passion, that is often such an essential ingredient for good mecha. A lot of other female centred mecha fail on this point, having cute, but ultimately unimpressive leading ladies.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 05:12   Link #100
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Yeah, but it's almost never done well, for whatever reason. The only instance of female protagonist (and dominated) Mecha being good is Aim for the Top! Back in the late 80s. So while it has been done, I'd still consider it fairly virgin territory.
I see, well It's just like how One swallow does not make a summer, is it?

Quote:
Any anime these days featuring girls is going to feature some Moé. It's a question of degree.
You're exaggerating, there do exist recent anime that aren't moe at all, even if they are centered around girls : Madoka (believe it or not ), Un-go, Gundam Age (if you consider being a loli itself is not moe though), Eden of the east, most Ghibli and other Production IG movies ... if you're seeing something that can be called "moe" or "fanservice" in them it might have been unintentional.

Quote:
If you recall, Aim for the Top! also contained a fair amount of (proto) Moé, and fanservice, but it is nevertheless considered one of the foremost examples of Mecha. The female protagonist (whose name escapes me) bucked the trend for most women in mecha, by being very fleshed out and 3 dimensional. Most importantly, she had plenty of Burning Passion, that is often such an essential ingredient for good mecha. A lot of other female centred mecha fail on this point, having cute, but ultimately unimpressive leading ladies.
Seems like the moe is settled, then, ...about the other one ... I wasn't born yet at the time so I don't really know (I watched Diebuster though) but I still believe you made a very good point, that's for sure. But, even so, it's not impossible for a not-so impressive female lead to fit in a good mecha anime. After all, "burning passion" isn't actually that essential for any mecha series in the first place, say most successful Gundam series (that doesn't have Char and Armuro as leading roles >.>), as well as Evangelion, and the some of the Macross series all have half backed MC but are still very good series and unforgettable references (well that's what deconstruction are for).
I assert the plot and the mecha battle themselves can make a Mecha series a good one (but not certainly epic though) without having " stunning guys armed with guts and unshakable feelings" as the tip of the sword, just being interesting on their own way and fitting their own context is enough, isn't it? ^^

Tags
action, bishoujo, comedy, ecchi, science fiction