AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-02-09, 16:11   Link #1
yeba

Help encoding anime

I have watched a lot of the new anime(e.g. naruto) and noticed that the encoded anime is of high quality. I assume the source of this anime is from TV.

How does Anbu-One or Saiyaman encode such high quality anime from TV? Is Japan broadcasting these anime in HDTV? Is the source from DVD? What hardware are they using to capture the source(dv video thru firewire, etc)?

What software do they use to encode the captured video? What are the settings? How do they do the subs?

I would like to know so I can encode the same way also.

THanks.
yeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 16:27   Link #2
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

-> Tech Support

Thread moved
Old 2004-02-09, 16:32   Link #3
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeba
I have watched a lot of the new anime(e.g. naruto) and noticed that the encoded anime is of high quality. I assume the source of this anime is from TV.

How does Anbu-One or Saiyaman encode such high quality anime from TV? Is Japan broadcasting these anime in HDTV? Is the source from DVD? What hardware are they using to capture the source(dv video thru firewire, etc)?

What software do they use to encode the captured video? What are the settings? How do they do the subs?

I would like to know so I can encode the same way also.

THanks.
Yes, Anime does air in HDTV in Japan and I'd say most of the fansubs for new shows use HDTV sources.

While I might not have any actual inside information, I'd guess that they use Virtualdub and AviSynth to encode the files. Subs are most likely done with SubStation Alpha and embedded into the video stream with TextSub while audio might be re-encoded with BeSweet (or atleast that's what I use myself).
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 17:41   Link #4
lavalyn

Quote:
Good luck. Encoder settings are closely kept by the Encoder Cartel to make sure their credits remain prominent in fansubs (there is no Encoder Cartel).

That said, I'll be nice and let you figure out the ropes for yourself by pointing you to other informative resources, such as http://www.doom9.org/, where excessively complex talk of custom quantizer matrices and conditional encoding and whatnot abound.
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 19:44   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It should also be mentioned that with the proper filters most good encoders get an encode that actually looks better than the original raw. With some raws this is extremely important.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 19:38   Link #6
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

Just remember....

Although you can make it better than the raw....

Crap in -> Crap out....

There is no "miracle filter" to clean up every single thing and retain all detail, (it's either one or the other) there is no "perfect setting..." IT'S ALL BASED ON THE RAW!

As for encoding tips, well.....I like to keep those a secret.
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 07:29   Link #7
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
I started encoding two years ago , from dvd rip sources ( all dvds that I purchased , and I don't share them afterwards )
You get the trick after many trys. You must first find the codec you like, it can change for every body ( it's mainly between xvid and divx ) , after that you have to know whatr you want as a result. you have to find a good way of encoding from (hd)tv, and for that you need to learn to use softs like VD, and VD likes.
I would encourage you to first try stuff on a raw, any source, and once you got the trick and no your stuff, you can start getting serious.
as for subs, you can find answers all over the web -> google.
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 01:44   Link #8
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

For simple high-quality encodes, get a raw [I use l33t-raws], use substation alpha for subs, open the raw in virtualdub:
video->video processing: -> Xvid [1st pass quality] 90-100
video->filters->textsub->open your ssa file
file->save avi

It should be decent.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 21:28   Link #9
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

Quote:

How does Anbu-One or Saiyaman encode such high quality anime from TV?

I wouldn't exactly call Saiyman "quality..." -_-
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 05:10   Link #10
corp20
Internet God

I have a question! I ripped some DVD (that I own) and I'm trying to encode them to AVI but every time I try I get a video file without sound. I'm using DVD2AVI and DVDx. Why does that happen? Do I encode the audio separately and then use Virtualdub? I'm not looking for tips on encoding- just to know whether or not make a video file and a sound file and then use virtualdub to process them together. Thanks
corp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 08:04   Link #11
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
I'm sure those softwares have their own support forum, and they know better than we ( than myself atleast ) what could be the problem.
you can find that on google.
I use a french soft: neodivx, I use 9.3 which works fine with divx5.1.1 , I never use xvid.
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote