AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-06-04, 10:48   Link #21
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb View Post
Those are just the series compacted into movie form. The movie is a brand-new feature film set for 2008.
It's a fairly decent estimate, but it's more accurate to say that we don't know when it'll be released. There's not even a single promotional information bar the announcement.

Anyway, just speaking in general, but I would prefer it if people stop demeaning GSD, and by extention, people who enjoy it, be it via sarcasm, or whatever. True, GSD had a lot of flaws, the pacing, the execution, the holes, it was..chaotic bar the first 15 episodes or so and occasional later ones. But from a personal standpoint, it's chaoticness made it a somewhat entertaining experience, especially due to it's soap-opera execution by Morosawa writings. If I weren't going to take it remotely seriously, I'd say GSD is easily the one of the finest unintentional comedy I've seen too.

I couldn't stop laughing during Final Plus. It was classic as hell in a quirky way.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 11:21   Link #22
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb View Post
But I just can't figure out why someone would seriously like Destiny except out of sheer fanboyism or 4tran-esque super (over?)analysis of it
That's exactly it. Destiny was made for fanboys/girls who want to see their favorite characters kick some serious a$$. Its not meant to be a serious show, nor does it try to be. And in that non-serious way, its actually quite entertaining.
Old 2007-06-04, 13:10   Link #23
overthere!

Send a message via AIM to overthere! Send a message via MSN to overthere! Send a message via Yahoo to overthere!
Watching GSD right after Destiny left me unsastified. I was hoping for another series starring Kira and the Archangel as main characters. Instead, they give us a whiny/arrogant lego pilot (no offense to Shin fanboys). The only characters worth mentioning are probably Lunamaria and Meyrin.
overthere! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 13:19   Link #24
UnknownSoldier

I as well was slightly disappointed with Destiny, though probably due to hype at the time. In my opinion there were far too many characters running around with plot-device belts which protected them from all danger =\
UnknownSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 16:39   Link #25
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
That's exactly it. Destiny was made for fanboys/girls who want to see their favorite characters kick some serious a$$. Its not meant to be a serious show, nor does it try to be. And in that non-serious way, its actually quite entertaining.
No...GSD devolved into just a show about fangirls/fanboys wanting to see their favs kicka$$...The first 10 episodes or so as discussed many times before were of a serious context...Jona was a serious character who was sneeky and politically savvy and turned into a cartoon character...Djbril was more than Dr. Evil from Austin Powers...C'mon we've been over this several times and you got people pretending GSD FROM THE VERY START was never a serious show...My goodness gracious...

In the end, yeah it's comedy if you take the B-movie approach to watching it (especially past ep 36), but to say the show never had a serious tone from the start...That's a flawed rational (And one of the central reasons so many were dissapointed in it's downfall)...
Old 2007-06-04, 19:28   Link #26
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
In the end, yeah it's comedy if you take the B-movie approach to watching it (especially past ep 36), but to say the show never had a serious tone from the start...That's a flawed rational (And one of the central reasons so many were dissapointed in it's downfall)...
Who says it was meant to be serious from the start? I certainly didn't.

And yes, I am one of those who are disappointed in that what had started out as potentially one of the best Gundam series out there could turn into what it did. But oh well, it ended up a joke, but heck, some people like it, and I was explaining why they do.
Old 2007-06-04, 19:58   Link #27
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthere! View Post
Watching GSD right after Destiny left me unsastified. I was hoping for another series starring Kira and the Archangel as main characters. Instead, they give us a whiny/arrogant lego pilot (no offense to Shin fanboys). The only characters worth mentioning are probably Lunamaria and Meyrin.
Actually, it struck me as sort of the other way around. They started GSD with Shinn as the main character, but then decided to bump Shinn out of the main character slot in favor of Kira, and changed Shinn from a potential ace pilot hero into a whining, nerfed bad guy.
Old 2007-06-04, 21:19   Link #28
galeon110

Can someone fill me in on this Movie that's coming out? When's the release date and is it even still being released? The status of the thing and if it really is in production?
galeon110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 21:29   Link #29
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeon110 View Post
Can someone fill me in on this Movie that's coming out? When's the release date and is it even still being released? The status of the thing and if it really is in production?
Its in production. Mitsuo Fukuda's directing. It will be released but the release date has not been announced.
Old 2007-06-04, 21:29   Link #30
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
It will be released. We just don't know when.

Interviews seem to imply that this movie production will have stronger emphasis on quality, so who knows? As of the current status, it's in production...under unlimited production time since we don't know for sure WHEN it'll be released. An average estimate would probably be mid-next year or late next year after 00 is over. But, hell if we know for sure.

SEED sells itself at this point, so they don't need the unneccesary hype until they're going to actually give us a concrete idea of when or what it'll be about.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-06-04, 21:38   Link #31
galeon110

So then the chance of a 3rd season of GS is slim to none?
galeon110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 21:56   Link #32
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Not necessarily. But it won't be out for a while, at least.
Old 2007-06-04, 22:03   Link #33
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I get the feeling that the movie is the end of this part of the franchise. I'm looking at the stuff in the pipeline (gundam00) as well as the Gundam Unicorn novels which I think is a strong candidate to be eventually animated and I really can't see them continuing with Seed. Personally I was surprised that there is a movie, I was expecting Seed Astray was the logical choice for any future Seed animation.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 22:08   Link #34
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
From all the information gathered the movie seems to be a compromise for not having a 3rd series...Couple that with the fact Gundum 00's teaser release is 4 months before the show actually airs which tells me it won't present any HUGE SEED news or campaigns that will steal it's thunder (which is smart)...I would put my money on next summer or after Gundam 00 ends next year for the movie...Since Gundam has recently chosen to take atleast a year off between series, following a movie next year you would still have to wait a year after that...So a new CE series seems bleak at best...and all the money I hear they're putting into the movie suggest they want to end CE with a bang...So atleast 3-4 years away from a potential new CE series which doesn't compute Gundam 00's success which may or may not push that back even further...So you might wanna get on with your life in the meanwhile...
Old 2007-06-05, 00:20   Link #35
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
I didn't find Destiny quite entertaining at all. I did laugh, but it wasn't a happy laugh. I think I laughed because I still watched Destiny in spite of all the travesties that were starting to resurface just as Freedom made its "doomed" re-entry into the CE...I kept my hopes up that it would pick up somehow (see, I still have some love left for the CE), but all that was in vain... and hell comedy it wasn't. Maybe I was laughing because it ws the only way I know to cover up the feelings of horror I felt watching those last episodes...

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 00:30   Link #36
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
I didn't find Destiny quite entertaining at all. I did laugh, but it wasn't a happy laugh. I think I laughed because I still watched Destiny in spite of all the travesties that were starting to resurface just as Freedom made its "doomed" re-entry into the CE...I kept my hopes up that it would pick up somehow (see, I still have some love left for the CE), but all that was in vain... and hell comedy it wasn't. Maybe I was laughing because it ws the only way I know to cover up the feelings of horror I felt watching those last episodes...
Well, everyone has their own opinion of things. There are people who hate the most legendary acclaimed of stuff too for their own personal reasons, and there are people who like crap as well. It's understandable if people didn't enjoy Destiny though.

As for the future of CE post-movie, well, it really depends on how the movie turns out, but without anything to go by but interviews and blatant statements of Bandai considering CE the 2nd big thing compared to the legendary UC, I'd say that the movie will probably close the Kira-Athrun side of the story, and just maybe in the near future, we'd get stuff like OVAs or different mediums that's told from a different perspective, tackling different bases of the established universe.

UC's now pretty much novels and occasional animated works too. Like AoZ which has awesome mecha designs, Unicorn and Igloo. Maybe 2010 will have something.

Unless some mind-fuck happens in the movie, Kira's pretty much well and settled in his ZAFT uniform.

Old 2007-06-05, 00:31   Link #37
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Unless some mind-fuck happens in the movie, Kira's pretty much well and settled in his ZAFT uniform.
No, we need more team hopping. It wouldn't be a SEED story without mass amounts of defections.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 00:57   Link #38
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

^^^I guess Fukuda would be now forever known as "defect-to-the-other-side-you-all" Fukuda... (as opposed to "kill-em-all" Tomino)

@ Nightengale

Destiny is well liked and despised by people for their own reasons, and some reasons (like maybe the CE mechs) could be well liked by some and still despised by others at the same time. Like, for example, they would say they didn't like the Turn A because of its unusual design, but others like it. It really is a matter of preference for the fans, who maybe only liked CE because of some characters, some mechs, dialogs, etc. But some people find it hard to believe why the other side can't seem to see the beauty of what they see, and it is this kind of scenario where bashing starts (or flame wars, whichever comes first)...anyway, it's one of the reasons why there are so many fans of a given series (the diversity of their preferences, NOT the bashing/flame wars...^^;; ), and that the CE world just luckily happened to be part of the Gundam universe who is currently making LOTS of money at the present because of these very same fans.

Anyway, what I wrote was my opinion...

Old 2007-06-05, 01:11   Link #39
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^As I stated a very long time ago, Fukuda's nick is "flashback'em all..."
Old 2007-06-05, 01:18   Link #40
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

"Defect-to-the-other-side-you-all" Fukuda could be quite a mouthful, it could be his other nick.

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep