Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-11-26, 09:32   Link #1001
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephuros View Post
What's that 7,649? (Total sales? Debut week sales?) and also for one volume (first disc?) or the whole BD/DVD..? (kinda confuse on how to read the numbers..)

'K' *2,021+*5,628=*7,649 (7, not including preview) (GoHands) << what's the 2k and 5k and 7k? DVD, BD, and then total sales? total sales for umm.. what? (i know it's a stupei question, I just don't know how to look at this...
2012/11/07 *2,084 Vol. 1 (One episode)
[etc.]
<Blu-ray>
2012/11/07 *6,926 Vol. 1
The first number is the average number of DVDs sold per volume; the second is the average for Blu-ray discs. Adding those together gives an average for total disc scales per volume of 7,649.

Opening week sales do not appear here; all these figures are per volume. The number of episodes per volume varies, usually between two and four.

The ratio of BD to DVD sales gives you an idea whether women are in the audience. Japanese men, especially otaku men, are more likely to own BD players than women. Shows with a high ratio of BD to DVD sales are usually shows that appeal more to men. In contrast, look at these figures a recent installment of the Hakuoki franchise:

Hakuouki Reimeiroku *3,818+*1,349=*5,167 (6) (Studio Deen/Sentei Filmworks)

Hakuoki is based on a series of otome games about a young woman who becomes involved with bishounen versions of the famous Shinsengumi. The story is a "reverse harem" with a central female protagonist surrounded by a bevy of attractive men. This installment, the fourth I believe, sold more than twice as many DVDs as BDs.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 10:40   Link #1002
Zephuros
The White Dog

Send a message via MSN to Zephuros
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The ratio of BD to DVD sales gives you an idea whether women are in the audience. Japanese men, especially otaku men, are more likely to own BD players than women. Shows with a high ratio of BD to DVD sales are usually shows that appeal more to men. In contrast, look at these figures a recent installment of the
wow! I didn't know about this o_O!!
(I thought buying BD or DVD at japan depends on how much you would invest for anime/games)
I see... yes, I know about Hakuoki (and obviously it's for the female audience)
but I haven't thought about the numbers!
Thank you ><!

------
edit:
oh.. um.... wait...
so the K anime had more male audience.......? what..................lol"???? (isn't it supposed to be for the girls? I mean from the looks of its PV... and my female friends are fangirl-ing all over this anime and pairings and what not lol")
or there's just some exceptions in some cases..lol" (like this one)

Currently lurking through the internet searching (hopelessly) for people who want to talk&discuss about the Coppelion series..
I've read the translated manga up to volume 12, read rest of the raws up to volume 20 & its latest 209th chapter and is following it every month from the Gekkan Young Magazine. And here are the FAQs that you should read and know.
I'll be straight: please contact me if you're interested in the series, I'd really like to talk! I'm also an admin at the Coppelion wiki, so feel free to ask me anything about it.
Zephuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 11:50   Link #1003
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephuros View Post
wow! I didn't know about this o_O!!
(I thought buying BD or DVD at japan depends on how much you would invest for anime/games)
I see... yes, I know about Hakuoki (and obviously it's for the female audience)
but I haven't thought about the numbers!
Thank you ><!

so the K anime had more male audience.......? what..................lol"???? (isn't it supposed to be for the girls? I mean from the looks of its PV... and my female friends are fangirl-ing all over this anime and pairings and what not lol")
or there's just some exceptions in some cases..lol" (like this one)
This used to be very common prior to 2011 with the hit Tiger and Bunny, which led to more BD sales than DVD sales for a female-oriented show. Since then, it's more likely that shows which have an equal amount sold on DVD appeal to women more than men as the audience is split between the formats. Shows that are targeted towards men will have a vast majority be BD sales compared to DVD. K pushed sales towards BDs, but was still female-targetted for the most part, showing that DVD-female, BD-male isn't always true now.

In short, as with sales, it's more complicated than what people try to condense it down to. Take each series separately.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 15:12   Link #1004
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Are these more the exceptions, though?

Browsing through the figures for 2012, most shows have larger BD sales than DVD sales, and for some shows like Girls und Panzer the ratio is huge (34,000 BD to 1,500 DVD). Kuroko no Basuke which apparently had a large female following has a much more even ratio with 13,000 DVDs to about 11,000 BDs.

I'm not proposing this as a hard and fast rule, but there is some truth to the notion that a higher DVD/BD ratio => more female viewers.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 15:51   Link #1005
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Recently, some BD have different special feature compared to the DVDs. In the case of Space Battleship Yamato 2199, the BD comes with English subtitles while the DVD does not.

Also the BD are either Region A (Japan and the Americas) or Region Free (everyone), while the DVDs are Region 2 (Japan and part of Europe). So when a show has international appeal without a known local release, the BD will sell more. (Space Battleship Yamato 2199's BD are Region Free)
Old 2013-11-26, 16:10   Link #1006
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:

Browsing through the figures for 2012, most shows have larger BD sales than DVD sales, and for some shows like Girls und Panzer the ratio is huge (34,000 BD to 1,500 DVD). Kuroko no Basuke which apparently had a large female following has a much more even ratio with 13,000 DVDs to about 11,000 BDs.

I'm not proposing this as a hard and fast rule, but there is some truth to the notion that a higher DVD/BD ratio => more female viewers.
There is some truth to that notion, but there's still a lot of DVD buyers who have finally switched over to BD in the past two years. This year has seen 3 shows with a big female fanbase all sell more BDs than DVDs (UtaPri, Shingeki, and Free!). I highly doubt that the male fanbase is pushing those ratios higher in favor of BDs. In a couple of years, we may see everything sell much more BDs than DVDs and then this notion falls apart.

Also, some shows sell BDs with all the LE goods and only a RE DVD (like the GaruPan example you gave, explaining the vast disparity) while others sell a LE DVD (like Magi or Free!). Those shows have lower BD-to-DVD ratios (though BD is still favored). Like I said, it's better to just focus on the show itself rather than try and fit it into a general category.

Old 2013-11-26, 17:33   Link #1007
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:

The three examples of female-targetted shows provided are interesting:

Kuroko no Basuke: Blu-Ray and DVD LE are the same, but the DVD is 1000 yen cheaper

K: DVDs and BDs are exactly the same price

Tiger & Bunny: The DVD is barebones, and there's only a Blu-Ray version of the LE

(Starting writing this before the latest post so I'll look up the new examples...)

Edit:

UtaPri: DVD & Blu-Ray exactly the same price

Shingeki: DVD is the same, but 1000 yen cheaper

Free: DVD is the same, but 1000 yen cheaper

(So, in total, half of the examples have special cases that may influence buying habits.)
Old 2013-11-30, 22:54   Link #1008
Archaeon

Anyone know about TWGOK sales?
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 23:18   Link #1009
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
Anyone know about TWGOK sales?
See the Sales Thread, but it really didn't do very well on BD/DVD at any point, and the recent season didn't really do anything to change that either way (it follows directly in line with the sales from the previous two seasons, following the usual gradual slope over time). However, it does seem to be doing reasonably well on the CD/concert front. My guess would be that we'll see more OAD episodes in the future.
Old 2013-12-01, 07:57   Link #1010
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
See the Sales Thread, but it really didn't do very well on BD/DVD at any point, and the recent season didn't really do anything to change that either way (it follows directly in line with the sales from the previous two seasons, following the usual gradual slope over time). However, it does seem to be doing reasonably well on the CD/concert front. My guess would be that we'll see more OAD episodes in the future.
I'd expect more OAD episodes with CDs myself. The OAD episodes were funded solely by Shogakukun, and I doubt the manga needs more promotion and/or attraction of new fans may have peaked with anime promotion. They could invest their money elsewhere and get a better return.

Old 2013-12-01, 18:41   Link #1011
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I'd expect more OAD episodes with CDs myself. The OAD episodes were funded solely by Shogakukun, and I doubt the manga needs more promotion and/or attraction of new fans may have peaked with anime promotion. They could invest their money elsewhere and get a better return.
The OADs themselves were produced by Shogakukan, but the music was produced in collaboration with TV Tokyo and Geneon (along with Shogakukan's own Music & Digital Entertainment division), with CD Singles timed to release at around the same time. So not sure how the internal financials worked, but the OADs were probably as much to push CD sales as they were to push the manga itself. I think they could probably do the same thing going forward. (Looking at the disc, it looks like the other producers were listed under Planning Cooperation. And actually, Geneon got the 制作 credit, with Shogakukan as 製作.)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-12-01 at 18:57.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 18:55   Link #1012
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
To be honest I would not be surprised for more TWGOK OADs simply because of the time skip between s2 and s3 - prolly a fair number of folks would like to see what happened in between the two, esp those who follow the manga. What they have released so far that both held and deviated to the manga story line so far though ... I am not sure of their success per se, but producing them would be more inexpensive than airing a whole new season, I'd guess.....
Old 2013-12-23, 06:02   Link #1013
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

I decided to go through the list and was quite surprised at sales of some TV anime...

Spoiler for above 5,000:

I was expecting Shingeki no Kyojin to sell well, since it is both approachable from different market pools, but to sell 50+k copies was totally unexpected. Monogatari Series is holding strong despite the source material diverted its attention from the two most popular (in the anime) characters. Then we get two fujoshi anime, which have been ignored by most studios in favor of countless ecchi anime that follow.

As for the worst sales...

Spoiler for below 1,000:

The long running TV anime are expected here, but several NoitaminA, GAINAX and the comeback of GONZO should tell something about how their "alternative" approach to the audience is perceived. Also there are several sequels that changed staff and plummeted their sales.
Old 2013-12-23, 06:08   Link #1014
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Woah, Jojo is still hanging on. That's cool to see!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 12:05   Link #1015
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post

As for the worst sales...

Spoiler for below 1,000:
I think that Fantasista Doll and Genei were probably hurt a bit by going head-to-head with Prisma ILLYA, which had more clear-cut magical girl genre appeal.

In addition to this, Fantastista Doll really did feel to me like it was meant for a young girl audience (i.e. girls between 7 and 13). It's a subtle different that's hard to put into words, but as a seasoned anime viewer I can kinda tell that Love Live! and K-On! are meant for adult males, whereas Fantastista Doll was just missing something that would make it feel that way to me (not enough clear moe sex appeal, maybe?)

Genei's artstyle might have hurt it.

Galilei Donna was a bit of a mess, so I'm not surprised it sold poorly. KKK had cute character designs, but was probably too 4Koma-esque in its presentation (I suspect that much the same thing probably undermined Nichijou some time ago).

I think most of us here knows what hurt Aku no Hana.

I'm kind of surprised that Milky Holmes sold so poorly. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else, but wasn't Milky Holmes pretty big at one time?
Old 2013-12-23, 12:44   Link #1016
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think that Fantasista Doll and Genei were probably hurt a bit by going head-to-head with Prisma ILLYA, which had more clear-cut magical girl genre appeal.
Not really. Sales aren't really affected by that. Prisma ILLYA was more or less fine because of TM being in there, so it has a large target audience.

Fantasista Doll and Genei weren't exactly praised. In fact, in 2ch, it was more or less the laughing stock, especially FD.

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised that Milky Holmes sold so poorly. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else, but wasn't Milky Holmes pretty big at one time?
MH third season was just bad. It is a bit similar how Hayate no Gotoku franchise keep plummeting, but not as strong as the latter (at least, MH didn't have an atrocious visuals/animation dive).
Old 2013-12-23, 13:11   Link #1017
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

GAINAX is more of a dissappointment in my eyes, all anime they put out since Panty and Stocking have sold below 1000 copies. I mean they were not good, but also not <1k bad

Quote:
Galilei Donna was a bit of a mess, so I'm not surprised it sold poorly. KKK had cute character designs, but was probably too 4Koma-esque in its presentation (I suspect that much the same thing probably undermined Nichijou some time ago).

I think most of us here knows what hurt Aku no Hana.
I think that getting stuck in NoitaminA hurt them a lot too, since they had to pretend to be artistic and accessible to the general public, making some really bad decision during planning. And in any case, mainstream TV time will usually hurt sales.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
MH third season was just bad. It is a bit similar how Hayate no Gotoku franchise keep plummeting, but not as strong as the latter (at least, MH didn't have an atrocious visuals/animation dive).
HnG looked really awful (not as bad as AnH, but still a lot worse than the first and second seasons). MH on the other hand, had lost its freshness, and while the changes could work on paper, they definitely didn't on screen.

Quote:
Not really. Sales aren't really affected by that. Prisma ILLYA was more or less fine because of TM being in there, so it has a large target audience.
I am of the same opinion on this. Though I hear that that the second series' story is a lot more involving.

Last edited by AmeNoJaku; 2013-12-23 at 13:29.
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 13:30   Link #1018
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Not really. Sales aren't really affected by that.
I disagree. Shows in the same genre going head-to-head can easily hurt the sales for one or more of those shows. I think that's why ef and True Tears had poor/middling sales - Going head-to-head with Clannad hurt them badly, I think.

Quote:
Prisma ILLYA was more or less fine because of TM being in there, so it has a large target audience.
Prisma Illya didn't sell anywhere near as much as Fate/Zero though. So I'm inclined to think the people who bought the show are actual magical girl genre fans.
Old 2013-12-23, 13:35   Link #1019
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I disagree. Shows in the same genre going head-to-head can easily hurt the sales for one or more of those shows. I think that's why ef and True Tears had poor/middling sales - Going head-to-head with Clannad hurt them badly, I think.
Not really. When it comes to adaptation, it is heavily dependant of the core fanbase of the said franchise (not like it won't attract newcomers, but it is quite obvious a strong source material will attract a solid amount of customers).

You have an incredible huge pool of kagiko, while Minori doesn't have a fanbase as big as the latter.
I never saw any glaring difference in term of sales when several "usual" series of the same genre are "competiting" on the same season, especially the usual harem ones, save those with a rather major source material (such like IS and HS DxD).
Quote:
Prisma Illya didn't sell anywhere near as much as Fate/Zero though. So I'm inclined to think the people who bought the show are actual magical girl genre fans.
Considering the usual raving about Illya and the servants on 2ch, it is more related to the characters and universe than really the whole thing with Mahou shoujo.

And frankly, using F/Z sales figure to put up this argument doesn't make sense at all. We are talking about a spin off, compared to a prequel of a major title over there. That's arguably not the same weight.
If I had to take in consideration the difference in term of production values and marketing, I really don't think you can claim the genre made the difference.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-12-23 at 13:47.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 13:53   Link #1020
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Not really. When it comes to adaptation, it is heavily dependant of the core fanbase of the said franchise (not like it won't attract newcomers, but it is quite obvious a strong source material will attract a solid amount of customers).
That's not necessarily the case. K-On wasn't all that popular until it became an anime. Then its popularity took off like a rocket. There's also cases of anime with popular source material but the anime never sold that well (Umineko being a very good example of this).

I think you're putting a bit too much weight in the importance of source material popularity (it's important, but it's not as totally overriding as you seem to think it is), and not enough weight in how DVD/Blu-Ray sales are a zero sum game. Given how pricey these are, there's only so many of these that your average otaku is going to be buying in any one season, so head-to-head same-genre competition can have adverse sales impacts.

Harem is perhaps an exception because it's such a massive genre to begin with.

Quote:
Considering the usual raving about Illya and the servants on 2ch, it is more related to the characters and universe than really the whole thing with Mahou shoujo.
Prisma Illya sticks very tightly to the magical girl genre, to the point that some even considered it a Card Captor Sakura ripoff. It's very clear to me that Prisma Illya is attempting to appeal to magical girl fans.

Quote:
And frankly, using F/Z sales figure to put up this argument doesn't make sense at all.
The argument I'm making here makes plenty of sense. You seem to be arguing that Type Moon fans will buy anything Type Moon, and that's why Primsa Illya sold well. Well, if so, there shouldn't be a huge sales discrepancy between different Type Moon anime properties.

These sales discrepancies suggest to me that brand name is not the main factor here in sales success for either of these Type Moon titles.

Tags
sales, statistics