Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-09-21, 00:25   Link #161
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
Wow, and here I thought that dealing with the senate and other "houses" while playing Rome didn't matter...it did. "Civil War" erupted at my main capital (Rome) and it literally spawned at LEAST 15 nearly full armies of Praetorians...triple or quadruple my own.

This just got serious
Good news, that's the final boss. Once you beat them the rest of the game is a breeze, as this only happens once per game.
Old 2013-09-21, 02:54   Link #162
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Good news, that's the final boss. Once you beat them the rest of the game is a breeze, as this only happens once per game.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahhahahahahahh

Probably true considering where the game is at in terms of fixes...lolz

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 04:06   Link #163
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahhahahahahahh

Probably true considering where the game is at in terms of fixes...lolz
It's nothing to laugh about. The fact is at late game when you own half the map, the game by all logic gets easier. You might be used to other games where the difficulty increases with game progress, but that simply isn't true in a war game.

In Shogun 2 they used Realm Divide to give artificial difficulty, but it killed the diplomatic game entirely. Civil War is a less punishing version, that gave you a final challenge before you steamroll the rest of the map.

What do you expect to happen once you conquered most of the world? You expect the surviving factions to turn into superheroes when they fight you? By the time you are strong enough to trigger the Civil War, you have already won. This is not an AI flaw.
Old 2013-09-21, 04:31   Link #164
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
It's nothing to laugh about. The fact is at late game when you own half the map, the game by all logic gets easier. You might be used to other games where the difficulty increases with game progress, but that simply isn't true in a war game.
Exactly, let's take these into example.

Rome Total War: I snowball Gaul/Germania/Spain/Carthage as the House of Julii. Aside from the other Roman families that I'll have to deal with, all the other factions are just a marathon with my Marius troops.

Medieval Total War 2: How are you doing Holy Roman Empire? I'm France the great blue blob of the world and I have conquered you. Now I have too much firepower to conquer the world.

Typically like that, once you deal with your early oppositions/challenges. The war game becomes a marathon for you. So things like the Civil War with those huge stacks at Rome are reasonable.

Last edited by Hooves; 2013-09-21 at 04:45.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 04:55   Link #165
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
This would be harder if you follow a timeline. In the times of the Roman Republic, battle doesn't occur like every year. Hope this will get a mod soon. I love how mods try to make RTW realistic.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 05:17   Link #166
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I love Roma Surrectum II for Rome Total War - Excellent mod.
Old 2013-09-21, 05:22   Link #167
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I love Roma Surrectum II for Rome Total War - Excellent mod.
Tried it. CTD in my Notebook. Currently playing RTR BI 1.9 ExRM 4tpy. It'll take me 5 years before I will get to play RTW II, by then.. hehehe MODs are everywhere...

Anyway.. Better make a timeline for this one
Old 2013-09-26, 00:34   Link #168
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
By the time you are strong enough to trigger the Civil War, you have already won. This is not an AI flaw.
Was true...until just recently...I managed to just load the last save and get by Civil War for awhile..conquered a lot more territories and ended up with about 9 full armies of experienced/upgraded Praetorian Guard armies.

So, when Civil War popped up again, I knew what to expect (to some extent lolz) and was expecting to deal with it rather decently. Apparently not, I'm literally getting my @$$ raped by the Senate. Despite my 9 experience/upgraded armies, they stand no chance against the Senate's 20+ armies of the exact same units (not sure if that is an a BUG) but yes, the EXACT same units...which of course is obviously why my armies stand no chance.

I think I'm too far in the game to deal with the Civil War. I've read elsewhere that as soon as Civil War pops up, it should be dealt with asap since the difficulty of it seems to be scaled based on your current units...sigh I think I might just start a new one, at least I know what to expect in the future.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 00:44   Link #169
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

There are people reporting that if you assassinate all the rebel generals, the civil war ends. You could try that.
Old 2013-09-28, 00:23   Link #170
NoemiChan
Banned

Conclusion of the Punic Wars!

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-09-28, 11:12   Link #171
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I just erased an entire stack of army via a single assassination! It didn't even succeed, just wound!

Okay, a tip to everyone; an army faction that doesn't have a town, can be destroyed by simply wounding its general let alone killing him. This applies to slave rebellions, remnants of a faction you took all its cities from, or Civil War Rebels. A single partially successful assassination and Poof! The 20 units of troops disappears entirely.

Very useful, and the real power of assassinations.
Old 2013-09-28, 17:57   Link #172
Tiberium Wolf

Even with patch 2 still not good. It's faster at start but becomes slow later on. Slow as a faction just has 1 army and 1 city and takes ages to process. Also slow with all the animations... moving an army I just fucking lag with vid quality LOW. It seems the more u explore the map the slow it gets coz it's processing all the animations. I wish I could turn it all off.

Edit 3: Patch 3 made it more playable. But game crashing a lot more thou.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2013-10-06 at 11:17.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 19:59   Link #173
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Have they fixed the AI yet to be less pants on head retarded?
Old 2013-10-11, 20:05   Link #174
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Have they fixed the AI yet to be less pants on head retarded?
My understanding is that Rome 2 was different from previous games because the AI tries to respond to what you are doing. This is different from before when they have set routines. This requires a different AI design that end up behaving unpredictably.

In other words, past games have something the pretends it is an AI, and it fools the player. While in Rome 2 it uses an actual AI, but it isn't very good.
Old 2013-10-11, 20:43   Link #175
Mr Hat and Clogs

So, stuff like this still happens?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-10-11, 20:50   Link #176
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
So, stuff like this still happens?[/yt]
Yes. Because as I say, they made the AI change its mind. The troops decide to charge, but as they reach the enemy the AI decided that they are taking too much damage and need to retreat. But then after they retreat they decide they can take on the player again.

It's what happens when the AI is constantly making and changing decisions, but can't plan more than ten seconds into the future. The AI effectively forgets why it was charging, and forgets why it was retreating, and repeats the action because it couldn't plan far enough ahead.

With old games like Rome 1, the fake AI just charge towards your troops and that's it. Not because it thinks it can win but because it doesn't care what the result was. Rome 2 has the AI caring about the outcome, but with the memory of a goldfish.
Old 2013-10-11, 20:54   Link #177
Mr Hat and Clogs

Oh well, guess I shall wait until they patch it, or for a sale then. Pity.
Old 2013-10-11, 21:02   Link #178
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Oh well, guess I shall wait until they patch it, or for a sale then. Pity.
Don't know what is the difference. You prefer the old system when the game pretends it has AI? Because they are just as easy to exploit, as they can't even respond to what you do. It might look silly to you, but it is still more functional than previous TW games. In previous TW games if you do something the AI didn't expect, the battle collapses as it doesn't have the programming to respond. With R2 the AI will be able to respond to your actions, even those the programmers haven't thought of. It is an improvement on past games, so I have no idea why you have the impression that it is inferior to past titles.
Old 2013-10-11, 22:35   Link #179
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Meh, I keep the battle simple.

I form a battle line. Send cavalry on the flanks. Once the flankers are dealt with I just send them back and flank the enemy army and that's that.

That's usually how most battles went anyways. AI forms up it's line, skirmishers engages my line and their infantry crashes into mine.

Previous TW games the AI screws itself around as VCV stated. I don't know where people get this idea that Rome was "great" because it really wasn't.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 22:57   Link #180
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

It's the simple concept of the "old" always being better then the "new". Empire Total War and Napoleon Total War got hit really hard because of their new fighting-style concept. Which everyone hated on them really badly on. Shogun 2 had poor campaign AI + no unit variety which made it awkward to play a faction despite having the same units as everyone else. The Battle AI there wasn't as impressive either. When you compare to older TW games, the AI never was really good in battle.

I haven't fought Rome 2 AI at its fullest yet, so I'll just say that people who proclaim themselves as "old" players haven't really played all the TW games as I have. So yeah, I've noticed various changes in Rome 2 that happened in mods for the older games. CA did take some examples from the community as is shown with this game.