AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-11-25, 08:58   Link #81
brocko

If there was anything that i ever learnt from my brother and his mates about playing limited it was to value the bombs first, then removal and then creatures
40 cards decks and being able to have more than 4 copies of a card (if you can manage it that is lol =P) sometimes makes limited really enjoyable to play imo.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 22:06   Link #82
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Has anyone else done any Zendikar drafting at all? It's kind of amusing how ridiculous the format is. I am playing one online now and I took Surrakar Marauder first pick over Terra Stomper and I don't regret it at all. Aggressive cards are so amazing and green is absolutely terrible overall. And if that thing can't convince me to play green I don't think anything can. In fact I actually beat the guy who took him in the first round. He never had a chance to draw him because his other green cards didn't do anything.

Edit: Yeah, I won the whole thing. Red/Black aggro is some good.

Last edited by RWBladewing; 2009-12-07 at 23:07.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 15:22   Link #83
Gin
*Artist

I played Mtg from 3rd grade through Sophomore year in High school. I went to a draft in my senior year with a friend, because he needed a ride, and was pretty disappointed by the content. The first round of the draft I got a lot of laughs when I said, "There are Planeswalkers now?"
Old 2009-12-08, 16:28   Link #84
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
I played Mtg from 3rd grade through Sophomore year in High school. I went to a draft in my senior year with a friend, because he needed a ride, and was pretty disappointed by the content. The first round of the draft I got a lot of laughs when I said, "There are Planeswalkers now?"
That actually happened to some guy playing in one of the final rounds of a nationals tournament. Had to call a judge because he had no idea what the weird card his opponent just played actually was. Most people thought he was joking at first until they remembered he'd been gone from the game for a few years.
Old 2009-12-08, 17:13   Link #85
Xion Valkyrie

Costs so much >.<

Haven't played in a long time though. I do have a few legacy decks that I occasionally update though.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 17:31   Link #86
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
That actually happened to some guy playing in one of the final rounds of a nationals tournament. Had to call a judge because he had no idea what the weird card his opponent just played actually was. Most people thought he was joking at first until they remembered he'd been gone from the game for a few years.
Yeah, I just saw the little info card that Wizard put into the booster pack, and I later realized that I had actually drafted a Planeswalker myself
Old 2010-03-24, 15:54   Link #87
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I figured I'd bump this because of the ridiculous card that was spoiled yesterday. I'm sure everyone who'd be interested has already seen it but meh.

Spoiler for card:

I'm really looking forward to this set, both to see if this card is actually castable and because of the awesome flavor and artwork. Probably my most anticipated ever.
Old 2010-03-24, 17:49   Link #88
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
I figured I'd bump this because of the ridiculous card that was spoiled yesterday. I'm sure everyone who'd be interested has already seen it but meh.

Spoiler for card:

I'm really looking forward to this set, both to see if this card is actually castable and because of the awesome flavor and artwork. Probably my most anticipated ever.
This is really usable in the T2 right now? Feels a tad too slow, although the set isn't completely spoiled yet...
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 21:54   Link #89
Xion Valkyrie

Seems like it'll be a win card in older formats though. Annihilator 6 is basically destroy 6 permanents right?
Old 2010-03-24, 22:38   Link #90
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Seems like it'll be a win card in older formats though. Annihilator 6 is basically destroy 6 permanents right?
The defending player sacrifices 6 permanents. Ya, it's brutal if you can get it in play and have it lose summoning sickness. Just remember that it's a colorless creature, but not an artifact. So you can't Tinker it out, but they'll be millions of other ways to bypass his casting cost.
Old 2010-03-25, 06:43   Link #91
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Most of the set is still unknown but I doubt this will see serious constructed play in T2. They are really pushing the huge creature theme (there's an 8/8 annihilator 2 at common) but it seems like their method of choice, 0/1s that you can sacrifice for a mana, is too easy to disrupt. It also seems pretty bad when there's a couple of popular and extremely fast decks in the environment that can kill by turn 4. Then again Emrakul's little buddy Kozilek (he's "only" a 12/12) is pre-ordering for $30 so it's either a case of extreme overhype or maybe they know something I don't.

I could possibly see this being played in Hypergenesis decks in Extended though. He still takes as many turns to kill the opponent as Progenitus does but has the added bonus of also very likely killing everything the opponent managed to dump into play. I've heard of someone out-racing Progenitus but I doubt that's possible with this.
Old 2010-03-25, 06:48   Link #92
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Most of the set is still unknown but I doubt this will see serious constructed play in T2. They are really pushing the huge creature theme (there's an 8/8 annihilator 2 at common) but it seems like their method of choice, 0/1s that you can sacrifice for a mana, is too easy to disrupt. It also seems pretty bad when there's a couple of popular and extremely fast decks in the environment that can kill by turn 4. Then again Emrakul's little buddy Kozilek (he's "only" a 12/12) is pre-ordering for $30 so it's either a case of extreme overhype or maybe they know something I don't.

I could possibly see this being played in Hypergenesis decks in Extended though. He still takes as many turns to kill the opponent as Progenitus does but has the added bonus of also very likely killing everything the opponent managed to dump into play. I've heard of someone out-racing Progenitus but I doubt that's possible with this.
I honestly not sure how to feel about some of the new mechanics they've added recently. Traps..... now there's leveling system as well. The blue leveling mythic seems pretty good, but both of these concepts feel...... weird in MTG.
Old 2010-03-25, 08:28   Link #93
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Traps never really made any impact outside of Limited, except for Ravenous Trap which ironically is useless in Limited, heh. I enjoy the mechanic in Limited games though, gives you another factor to consider and play around, even though a lot of the time they are just played normally instead of for the trap cost. I still think Mindbreak Trap is really underrated though. It's pretty slow normally but with Cascade being so prevalent I still think it has potential.

I'm also really liking Level Up from what I've seen so far. I had been trying to come up with a similar mechanic for a set I was making but couldn't figure out how to word it or make it work, and then they went and did it perfectly. The blue guy is going to be ridiculous for people who play multiplayer.

I have to say though, I would never have expected "defending player sacrifices x permanents" to become a keyword ability. I really hope they don't put that on anything cheap. The common with Annihilator 2 costs 8 so I could see them possibly printing an Annihilator 1 at 6. If they do that I think that will see play.
Old 2010-03-25, 08:47   Link #94
Mentar
Banned

Guys, you can't be serious. 15 mana!! Also, it can't be reanimated from the graveyard, since it will never go there in the first place.

So, the only realistic way for this ever seeing play: Urzatron/Mana Flare type decks or "Put into play" effects. Are there any worthy ones around?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 09:17   Link #95
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Hypergenesis + Demonic Dread = free 15 mana guy on turn 3. It's only a matter of whether people would rather play him or Progenitus.

Also, he does go to the graveyard. The ability says "When Emrakul is put into a graveyard", as opposed to something like Darksteel Colossus which says "If Darksteel Colossus would be put into a graveyard". Subtle but there is a huge difference. Thus he can be reanimated by an instant like Makeshift Mannequin while the graveyard ability trigger is on the stack.
Old 2010-03-25, 11:43   Link #96
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Damn, now I feel so stupid in giving my set of Sneak Attack/Goryo's Vengeance to my friend as a present (no wonder he was so insistent on getting them!). Emrakul is better than Serra Avatar for sneaking purposes, as it serves as disruption even if you don't outright kill them, and it can't be reasonably chumped.

Yeah, Sneak decks aren't viable in older formats, but man, its still fun. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 15:44   Link #97
Xion Valkyrie

Traps are great if only for the Yu-Gi-Oh cheese factor. I lay down my trap card and end my turn! You've activated my trap card! HO HO HO.
Old 2010-03-25, 15:46   Link #98
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Traps are great if only for the Yu-Gi-Oh cheese factor. I lay down my trap card and end my turn! You've activated my trap card! HO HO HO.
... I wish the anime cliche wouldn't hit that bad the actual TCG, but it seems it is still the case...

Just for your instance: traps in YGO TCG are basically sort of the same as MTG Instants, aside of the set portion.
Old 2010-03-25, 23:54   Link #99
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^There's the huge difference in casting speed, dunno of any instants that can't be countered yet (then again I'm very behind in magic). Anyway, about the "new" mana overload hype, it should be relatively easy to play creatures of all costs using an elf deck (especially if you got timberwood elves + something to draw more cards, so green-blue would be fitting.
I'm not particularly fond of these boss-like monsters, it switches the focus of players from battles of attrition to stopping the countdown, kills the original spirit of the game, and makes it a lot simpler as well: stacking your cards for a big bad summon is nowhere near as hard as deciding which weakling to kill, where to cast your buffs, etc.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 01:56   Link #100
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
^There's the huge difference in casting speed, dunno of any instants that can't be countered yet (then again I'm very behind in magic). Anyway, about the "new" mana overload hype, it should be relatively easy to play creatures of all costs using an elf deck (especially if you got timberwood elves + something to draw more cards, so green-blue would be fitting.
I'm not particularly fond of these boss-like monsters, it switches the focus of players from battles of attrition to stopping the countdown, kills the original spirit of the game, and makes it a lot simpler as well: stacking your cards for a big bad summon is nowhere near as hard as deciding which weakling to kill, where to cast your buffs, etc.
Well, there's the Split Second mechanic, although that doesn't bypass the stack. So I guess you're right.